Author Topic: Use cases for lock switches  (Read 3815 times)

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
Use cases for lock switches
« on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 08:12:48 »
I have some MX Lock switches waiting at the post office. I tried searching but could not find any threads dedicated to them. MX Lock switches are switches that lock to the pressed down state when first pressed, and they are then released on the second press. There are versions of Alps and others that do the same.

If you've used lock switches, how and where have you used them? How would you like to use them?

A baseline answer would probably be a lockable Fn layer, but I was wondering about some more "exotic" use cases. We can assume the firmware of choice supports all kinds of things so let your imagination fly. :)
Current:
    Ducky DK9008P [MX Blues] | WASD V2 TKL [MX Blues] | r63 (Satan 60% DIY) [Gateron Browns] | BananaSplit 60% [Gateron Greens] | UK78 [67g Zealios] | Infinity ErgoDox [MX Clears] | Pearl 40% [78g Zealios] | G81-3000
Coming up:
    DZ60/SKB60-WKL [100g MX Silent Blacks] | G81-3000 [Box Navies] Handwire
IC/GB:
    GMK Strogg | G81/80-3000 MX metal plate

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Use cases for lock switches
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 08:18:53 »
I have some MX Lock switches waiting at the post office. I tried searching but could not find any threads dedicated to them. MX Lock switches are switches that lock to the pressed down state when first pressed, and they are then released on the second press. There are versions of Alps and others that do the same.

If you've used lock switches, how and where have you used them? How would you like to use them?

A baseline answer would probably be a lockable Fn layer, but I was wondering about some more "exotic" use cases. We can assume the firmware of choice supports all kinds of things so let your imagination fly. :)

I used mine for a function lock on split right shift FN key.  It's not exotic, but I like it.  If you go this route I suggest using a PCB with LED indicators so you can have one turn on with the function lock. The lock switch doesn't sit much lower than a standard switch when down, so it's not immediately apparent at a glance.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 08:25:23 »
We have a few threads on them. There was a recent GB for them not too long ago.

On mobile, otherwise I'd link them.

I use mine for a number pad. I have a TKL and when I press the Lock it activates an embedded num pad like on the Realforce.

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 08:35:02 »

I used mine for a function lock on split right shift FN key.  It's not exotic, but I like it.  If you go this route I suggest using a PCB with LED indicators so you can have one turn on with the function lock. The lock switch doesn't sit much lower than a standard switch when down, so it's not immediately apparent at a glance.

The images from the product page I bought from showed the switches had built-in indicator LEDs, but I'll have to see when I get them home this week.

We have a few threads on them. There was a recent GB for them not too long ago.

On mobile, otherwise I'd link them.

I use mine for a number pad. I have a TKL and when I press the Lock it activates an embedded num pad like on the Realforce.

The numpad idea is great. I have a 60% and another coming up so this might be a nice feature for one. Thanks!

I did not find any threads, just a few random topic replies here and there. :(

Current:
    Ducky DK9008P [MX Blues] | WASD V2 TKL [MX Blues] | r63 (Satan 60% DIY) [Gateron Browns] | BananaSplit 60% [Gateron Greens] | UK78 [67g Zealios] | Infinity ErgoDox [MX Clears] | Pearl 40% [78g Zealios] | G81-3000
Coming up:
IC/GB:

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 08:38:16 »
Lock down a FN layer, I also used mine on right shift to have a fake Caps Lock. That way the Caps Lock key can be remapped to Ctrl and one of the Ctrl keys can be remapped to have a second FN layer.

Offline _haru

• Formerly linuxfanatic
  • Back from the dead
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 08:45:05 »
Shift lock ;)
AMJ60 - 45g MX White | GH60 Rev. C - Ghost Gateron Blacks | DFK101 - Alps SKCM Cream | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL - 62g Vintage MX Ergo Clear

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 12:23:20 »
I would make a 4x4 matrix board with all lockable switches. Certain combinations of switches locked will open up different programs and/or user profiles, or control the lights in my house.

Offline ygor

• eat a butt, monkey lord
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 12:27:31 »
reececonrad's advice is great. Worst part about lock switches is that you can't always tell if it's down. I had one on my function key and accidentally reset my profile like five times. Smert to have an LED let you know when it's active.
I generally hate all keycaps. Keycaps are for poofs. Real men touchtype on stems. Non-functional artisans are awesome, I use them for the ESC key ... escape is for cowards anyways, real men go frontal assault.

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 16:45:29 »
The images from the product page I bought from showed the switches had built-in indicator LEDs, but I'll have to see when I get them home this week.

They are still sold? Please post the details, as they're surprisingly sought after. All my spares are gone — it was the most popular request I've had.
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 18:00:53 »

They are still sold? Please post the details, as they're surprisingly sought after. All my spares are gone — it was the most popular request I've had.

I ordered mine from TheVan Keyboards: https://thevankeyboards.com/products/cherry-mx-lock-switch-mx1a31nn
Current:
Coming up:
IC/GB:

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 18:24:56 »
My keyboard has an Awesome mode.. 

It's too taxing on my computer to have it engaged all the time via software,  therefore I need a mechanical locking switch to engage Awesome mode..

The immense amount of Awesome wears out the lock switch after a few uses.. So I also installed hot swap pins for that switch spot..

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 18:48:52 »
I ordered mine from TheVan Keyboards: https://thevankeyboards.com/products/cherry-mx-lock-switch-mx1a31nn

Cheers, I just ordered one. I need one of that type for reference.

tp4tissue can go suck a toad.
Bore Awards

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 18:59:16 »
My use of a lock switch isn't groundbreaking, but it seems to be a new idea to whomever I share it with.

I use my lock switches for the scroll lock switch, which activates the third fn layer on my keyboard.
The third fn layer is exclusively null for all switches, so I can physically lock my keyboard when I walk away from my desk.

Its great for kids and immature coworkers.

Offline _haru

• Formerly linuxfanatic
  • Back from the dead
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 19:16:42 »
My use of a lock switch isn't groundbreaking, but it seems to be a new idea to whomever I share it with.

I use my lock switches for the scroll lock switch, which activates the third fn layer on my keyboard.
The third fn layer is exclusively null for all switches, so I can physically lock my keyboard when I walk away from my desk.

That's actually very clever  :thumb:
AMJ60 - 45g MX White | GH60 Rev. C - Ghost Gateron Blacks | DFK101 - Alps SKCM Cream | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL - 62g Vintage MX Ergo Clear

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 20:19:03 »

Cheers, I just ordered one. I need one of that type for reference.

tp4tissue can go suck a toad.

I lick them all the time.

It regenerates my Ki , so I can post m0ar on gekhak

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 21:57:58 »

I'm actually impressed that this is not that common. Great idea!
Current:
Coming up:
IC/GB:

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 13 July 2017, 09:36:23 »

I forgot about this idea. I recently obtained a few more lock switches, so maybe I'll put two on each keyboard: one for the num pad layer, and one to "lock" the keyboard.

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 13 July 2017, 09:46:19 »

I forgot about this idea. I recently obtained a few more lock switches, so maybe I'll put two on each keyboard: one for the num pad layer, and one to "lock" the keyboard.

Do it

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 13 July 2017, 09:50:19 »

Do it

Okay; I'll send the PCB I have to my current builder.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 13 July 2017, 10:09:11 »

That's fantastic!
Will definitely do this when I get my custom board.

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 15 July 2017, 04:58:26 »

Got the lock switches yesterday. Thet have a mid-gray switch top, black switch bottom, and an installation hole for a solderable circular LED (off-center position), no LED built-in (which is good so I can use any color I want).
Current:
Coming up:
IC/GB:

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 15 July 2017, 06:29:02 »
oh. I specifically wanted the pictured type! typical!
Bore Awards

Offline _haru

• Formerly linuxfanatic
  • Back from the dead
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 15 July 2017, 10:03:02 »

Got the lock switches yesterday. Thet have a mid-gray switch top, black switch bottom, and an installation hole for a solderable circular LED (off-center position), no LED built-in (which is good so I can use any color I want).

Sweet! That's the type I have on my AMJ60  :thumb:

I hope the one I have coming in from The Van Keebs is the modern version shown on their website.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 15 July 2017, 15:58:30 »

Mine is the same from a group buy a few months ago.  How in the world do you install the led off-center?  I just assumed you couldn't

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 15 July 2017, 17:07:03 »

Mine is the same from a group buy a few months ago.  How in the world do you install the led off-center?  I just assumed you couldn't

I was thinking the same thing. Need to ask around.
Current:
Coming up:
IC/GB: