Author Topic: Let's Talk Keurigs and K-Cup?  (Read 6635 times)

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
Let's Talk Keurigs and K-Cup?
« on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 14:22:57 »
I've have a Keurig for around 3 years now and since I'm moving off to school again I figure I should upgrade my coffee machine.

Hoping theirs some coffee savvy (not hipster) people in here with good recommendations for beans and machine.

Previously I just go to whole foods for my beans, but willing to actually buy K-cups now if it's any better..
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Let's Talk Keurigs and K-Cup?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 15:27:20 »
oooooooo....  technology...

I spent alot of time in car dealerships, they always have that sign xxxxx car cost less to maintain than this Keurig coffee machine.

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 15:45:05 »
Non-Hipster here. There is coffee supplied at my office but on the weekends or afternoons I will use a Keurig with Gevalia K cups. They're pretty good IMO. I like the Colombian and the Caramel Macchiato

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 15:56:14 »
Quick, pretty good, but more expensive than regular coffee beans. There is a plethora of flavors available as well. All in all I could recommend buying one.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 15:58:58 »
Aero Press and/or French Press + Hario Grinder = Heaven

FWIW I have a similar setup above, as well as a Keurig, and I'd say I use them almost equally, if not the Keurig more thanks to the convenience.

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 16:44:27 »

FWIW I have a similar setup above, as well as a Keurig, and I'd say I use them almost equally, if not the Keurig more thanks to the convenience.

French press is definitely better but theres an unhealthy build up of chemicals, I drink too many cups a day.

previously had a keurig, it's addicting due to the serving size, but they have so many options now..
Keyboards:
Aripeko TKL

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 17:17:01 »
I always hear pods are bad for the environment and a huge waste of money vs buying bean.

And now they have DRM on some coffee makers making it even more like a scam. Won't brew off-brand pods, so you are limited to specific ones.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 17:21:37 »
I always hear pods are bad for the environment and a huge waste of money vs buying bean.

And now they have DRM on some coffee makers making it even more like a scam. Won't brew off-brand pods, so you are limited to specific ones.

there's that scanner defeater adapter now.. hahahahahaha...

But, I don't think it's more or less wasteful , because the infrastructure to produce these things are already in place..

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 17:23:56 »

Yeah I use reusable 90% of the time, and the DRM thing Keurig's basically given up on
Keyboards:
Aripeko TKL

Offline Wannabe

• Independent Adjudicator
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 17:43:12 »

Got an aeropress after ditching the Keurig. It was a great choice. Aeropress + Bonavita kettle from Massdrop allows for making single cup servings while still using fresh beans.
I liek keyboards

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 17:43:36 »
I agree with Dgneo, BUT, I love my nespresso. The coffee version makes just tasty coffees with a nice layer of créma.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 17:58:23 »
My main issue is brewing is time consuming, and I rarely if ever get to brew coffee before work in the morning when I really need it. And then you can't bring the entire pot with you, so even if there was 15 extra minutes in my morning I still couldn't take half a pot on the road with me. I only get to enjoy coffee on the weekends ironically.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 18:12:20 »
Just in case anyone wants to know.. Yes,  Coffee is as good as heroin,  but it only lasts about 15 minutes, unlike heroin which works for 3+ hours. The long lasting high of heroin is what causes a brain to reduce receptors leading to severe depression upon discontinued use.

Coffee would work the same way if you drank enough.. 

A significant portion of ex-heroin addicts chain smoke and drink copious amounts of coffee, TO MAKE UP for the heroin that they're not getting..

This pretty much in nutshell explains why people LIKE COFFEE so much. hahahaha

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 19:23:49 »
Espresso is coffee end game. But then you start with a $200 espresso machine, and start to lust after the $600 machine. Then you need a good grinder. Pretty soon you have more invested in your coffee than your car. And that's not even "end game".

No, I'm not addicted.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 19:51:25 »
Espresso is coffee end game. But then you start with a $200 espresso machine, and start to lust after the $600 machine. Then you need a good grinder. Pretty soon you have more invested in your coffee than your car. And that's not even "end game".

No, I'm not addicted.

Yup.. it's as good as heroin bro..  look at the graph..

Is it any wonder why people like it so much ? hahahahaha...

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 20:02:08 »
Mfw I gotta just hit heroine instead of coffee, but only tiny amounts

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 20:06:27 »

Do they make it in easy extended release tablets?
I'm back.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 20:07:08 »

Itty bitty needles with tiny doses of heroine

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 20:13:13 »
The guy who invented K-Cups actually now regrets the idea

I can't actually blame him that much since GMC has perpetuated the problem for so long now. The thing I don't like is the fact that Green Mountain actually locks third part K-Cup makers out of their machines now that the patent has expired, there's ways to hack it, but it's still ridiculous you're forced to buy their K-Cups that will inevitably end up in a landfill somewhere as opposed to some of the more modern ones that you can compost.
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline jal

• I can't believe it's not gravy!
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 20:16:56 »
I'm probably well off in to old-fart land, but I as best I can tell, none of the things missing in my life are shaped like an appliance that goes massively out of its way to restrict how I make my coffee.

I have a Cuisinart mumble-something that was, I think, $20 from Craig's List. I clean it every once in a while with vinegar and salt, and in return it makes me coffee, just how I like it, 5 minutes before I wake up, and also brews really, really strong coffee I later dilute. There were no extra fees for the second function, and I didn't have to buy any sort of license or find a crack to use the coffee of my choice! Whoever invented this product is a genius!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 21:43:36 »

Itty bitty needles with tiny doses of heroine

They already make oxycotin, vicodin, etc all same stuff really, HEROIN basically,  in Extended release tablets..

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 21:48:06 »
I just got some death wish coffee k-cups they're ok.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 21:51:41 »

It says Highly-addicting on their website.

Did you become addicted after experiencing that 600milligrams of caffeine ??

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 22:26:27 »
I wonder if there's more high-functioning heroine addicts or meth addicts. You might assume meth off the bat, but there are some very prolific heroine junkies through history.

Offline jal

• I can't believe it's not gravy!
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 22:35:24 »
I wonder if there's more high-functioning heroine addicts or meth addicts. You might assume meth off the bat, but there are some very prolific heroine junkies through history.

I think functional junkies last longer. I knew a couple fellow programmers back when, who crossed the line between recreational and need-it-to-function. They could crank out code like mad, for a while. But they eventually were fired for general unreliability and weirdness. Not sure what ever happened to them.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 23:01:10 »

I think functional junkies last longer. I knew a couple fellow programmers back when, who crossed the line between recreational and need-it-to-function. They could crank out code like mad, for a while. But they eventually were fired for general unreliability and weirdness. Not sure what ever happened to them.

Yeah, I've known one girl exactly like you describe. A wizard in Python, but she would get strung out at around 4 and be useless for the rest of the day. Boss let let get away with it because she basically handled 3 people's workflow by herself.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 23:07:06 »

They're all Fine People, until receptors have been extinguished to the point of causing crippling depression without drugs.

It's not that the brain doesn't work , it still works OK if you put drugs in , but because the body no longer maintains basal levels of your brain chemistry in the same way, the person can no longer function sober.

As for, where is the cross over point..   drug use has a toll.. side-effects of medicine, (mostly from impurities)..  but that aside,  there's a limit of how long your body can carry on its other autonomic functions under the shifted balance.

So, eventually it's not necessarily the drug that kills you,  it's the other problems which were side-effects of the drug.

As for Meth vs Heroin..   Meth is 10x as strong as heroin and lasts about 1/3 as long.

So, it causes an even larger chemical swing..   Meth is obviously the most quickly destructive as it gets you to that cross over point faster..

Offline zeltner

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 23:30:34 »
Started with a regular old drip machine. Then I discovered a French press and ditched the drip machine. Then last year I got an espresso machine and I have not looked back.

Got a breville bes870xl .. It is entry level for espresso machines but at $600 is a great price and it has a very nice grinder as well.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 23:34:27 »
Started with a regular old drip machine. Then I discovered a French press and ditched the drip machine. Then last year I got an espresso machine and I have not looked back.

Got a breville bes870xl .. It is entry level for espresso machines but at $600 is a great price and it has a very nice grinder as well.

what's the difference between frenchpress and drip

Offline Dongulator

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 23:35:03 »
nespresso.. it's so easy and good.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 15 September 2016, 05:57:49 »

Haha, there's what I was talking about. Next year you'll be looking at a separate grinder and an e61 machine...
I'm back.

Offline zeltner

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 15 September 2016, 06:00:17 »

what's the difference between frenchpress and drip

Basically drip coffee is where the water drips into the grinds and then coffee drips through the grinds and filter into your coffee pot. This is basically how the k cup machines work too.

For French press the water and grinds are all combined then the grinds are pressed to the bottom to allow just coffee to pour out. Here is a more comprehensive comparison.
http://gatheringgroundscafe.com/french-press-vs-drip-coffee-whats-the-difference/

Offline zeltner

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 15 September 2016, 09:41:40 »

Haha, there's what I was talking about. Next year you'll be looking at a separate grinder and an e61 machine...

Lol yeah actually I have looked at E61 machines. If this breville ever kicks the bucket I might be able to justify the cost of one.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 15 September 2016, 09:51:10 »

It says Highly-addicting on their website.

Did you become addicted after experiencing that 600milligrams of caffeine ??

From the very first sip :eek:

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 15 September 2016, 14:20:40 »
I've heard the Aeropress/french press things are pretty great for portable coffee making.
I'm not sure why but the coffee from my keurig at work tastes way better than my keurig at home. I've been using the same Solofill K3 cups for years. Love those things.
-Dana

Offline zeltner

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 15 September 2016, 16:26:06 »
I've heard the Aeropress/french press things are pretty great for portable coffee making.
I'm not sure why but the coffee from my keurig at work tastes way better than my keurig at home. I've been using the same Solofill K3 cups for years. Love those things.

Aeropress is pretty cool for portable. My brother has one and I've used it sometimes camping. I prefer a french press over it though when I am camping because I get more coffee at once. The only thing about french press is most are glass and they are easy to break. I've shattered like 1000 of them. If you are going to get one for traveling do yourself a favor and get stainless steel.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 15 September 2016, 18:10:22 »

Aeropress is pretty cool for portable. My brother has one and I've used it sometimes camping. I prefer a french press over it though when I am camping because I get more coffee at once. The only thing about french press is most are glass and they are easy to break. I've shattered like 1000 of them. If you are going to get one for traveling do yourself a favor and get stainless steel.

Offline Spopepro

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 15 September 2016, 19:53:57 »
Agree with others that aeropress + adjustable grinder + electric kettle is near the best you can do for a cup of coffee. The double bonus is that it's about as cheap as you can get too so long as you're not drip brewing folgers.

Espresso at home is for the very serious only, I think. The cheap machines aren't worth anything at all, and a good pull only starts to become available with 4 figure machines, or highly modified and customized versions of more economical machines. Granted, I live 3 blocks from Four Barrel and not everyone does, but I can buy a whole lot of shots that someone else pulls, with perfectly fresh beans everytime, for the price of the GS3 machine that they use ($6k... It's La Marzocco pro model "for the home")

All that said, I'm seriously considering picking up an Espresso Forge.

Offline ANightOnCloudNine

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 15 September 2016, 23:46:00 »
What's the equivalent of these things but for tea.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 16 September 2016, 00:07:03 »

Nothing like coffee,  because tea is made at lower temperatures / pressures

They got a line of """Stuff"" like Yixing teapots ,  jade tea cups (shotglass size) , standard elite bull****.

Offline ANightOnCloudNine

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 16 September 2016, 00:10:53 »

Nothing like coffee,  because tea is made at lower temperatures / pressures

They got a line of """Stuff"" like Yixing teapots ,  jade tea cups (shotglass size) , standard elite bull****.
Ur like an Asian right you should know something about tea. I want to waste money on tea tell me what to waste money on

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 16 September 2016, 00:23:02 »
Agree with others that aeropress + adjustable grinder + electric kettle is near the best you can do for a cup of coffee. The double bonus is that it's about as cheap as you can get too so long as you're not drip brewing folgers.

Espresso at home is for the very serious only, I think. The cheap machines aren't worth anything at all, and a good pull only starts to become available with 4 figure machines, or highly modified and customized versions of more economical machines. Granted, I live 3 blocks from Four Barrel and not everyone does, but I can buy a whole lot of shots that someone else pulls, with perfectly fresh beans everytime, for the price of the GS3 machine that they use ($6k... It's La Marzocco pro model "for the home")

Just saw the video of the GS3 on youtube with the panels off.. Doesn't look like $6000 worth of electronics in there...

Offline Spopepro

« Reply #42 on: Fri, 16 September 2016, 01:06:14 »

Just saw the video of the GS3 on youtube with the panels off.. Doesn't look like $6000 worth of electronics in there...

Show Image

Yeah, and there's nothing $400 worth of any of the keyboards posted here. Nice stuff in limited numbers has a skewed value.

That being said, for espresso machines what you are getting for big bucks is precision. Exact temp control, exact pressure control (and maybe even custom profiling)... the real key to super high quality pulls is extreme precision and repeatability from your grinder, your tamp, and your machine.

I want to waste money on tea tell me what to waste money on

Really good tea. It's all about the leaves, not the gadgets. You can find some lovely 1960s pu-erh teas that are around $600 for 1oz. However if I was really desperate to blow some coin on tea gadgets I'd buy a fancy silver samovar.

Offline sushi

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 16 September 2016, 05:52:05 »
Tea is a different beast though. With espresso the gear literally makes the drink.

Have been chatting with a few folks about making an open source espresso machine. A big part of the costs are in the group head and boiler - running a machine at 12 bar repeatedly and trusting that it doesn't blow up takes more work than you think.

Currently run a GS3 and EK43 - tonnes of fun to play with but I'm mostly a pour over kind of guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 16 September 2016, 08:20:45 »
Tea is a different beast though. With espresso the gear literally makes the drink.

Have been chatting with a few folks about making an open source espresso machine. A big part of the costs are in the group head and boiler - running a machine at 12 bar repeatedly and trusting that it doesn't blow up takes more work than you think.

Currently run a GS3 and EK43 - tonnes of fun to play with but I'm mostly a pour over kind of guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be that as it may.. $6000, you can build a whole car with that much..

Dude, an entire giant waterheater for the whole house costs ~ $300-600 to build, sold for $1000 @ lowes..

Even 2 of those,  together would only be $600-1200, sold for $2000..

Glue them together with some control system $50 tops..

It's very hard to hit $6000 without alot of Hipster FEEs..

Offline Slash Emperor

• Lust for life lost, keyboards acquired.
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 16 September 2016, 12:14:34 »
I've had a Keurig for 4 years, since my dad had a couple unopened ones in storage and I took one of them to college.

In that time, I've used it more for a programmable hot water machine for my various teabags than I have for K-cups. It gets the job done and I didn't have to buy it, so it's more than fine by me. My roommates and friends ended up getting more K-cup use out of it than I did, so it worked out with everyone being happy with it, I suppose.

Offline tacnificent

« Reply #46 on: Fri, 16 September 2016, 12:16:56 »
Keurig...had it before and it's definitely convenient. I'd steer away from it even with reusable cups but that's just me.

Typically I use an Aeropress or french press but also do drip from time to time. The brew methods can be relatively cheap but don't skimp on the (burr) grinder.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #47 on: Fri, 16 September 2016, 16:20:23 »
I own a Rocket, a Rancilio, and a La Cimbali espresso machine, but I would kill for a GS3 or a Linea Mini. Good gosh they are gorgeous.
I'm back.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #48 on: Fri, 16 September 2016, 19:40:26 »
Keurig reusable K-cup with finely ground dark coffee is kind of my thing as of late. Finely ground allows me to smush the grounds so I can put more grounds in the tiny reusable filter. Americano? On my list of beans to try is Death Wish :cool:

edit - whoops, I guess Death Wish was already mentioned in this thread :-[
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 September 2016, 19:46:09 by csmertx »
Chris Schammert

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #49 on: Fri, 16 September 2016, 19:43:13 »
I ordered some Haitian k-cups for the wife.