Author Topic: Nice places to live?  (Read 18894 times)

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
Nice places to live?
« on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 16:43:47 »
Well, I'm coming to a point in my life where I have to actually make decisions on important aspects of my life, and I'll be moving out in a relatively short period of time, and I'm thinking to my self; Where in the hell do I want to live?

I dislike the south very much, I lived here for a large portion of my life and do not want to return, haven't been to the north east or much of the east cost, really.

I lived in Oregon for a while, but I'm wondering, what are some other nice places to live? I want to be somewhat close to a large city at the very least.

I'm looking to get into the technology field, software developer or something in that area.

I like the cold, so I have no problem with that, fine with rain, pretty much dandy with what most find depressing.  :p

Any thoughts on places that don't have insane costs of living but are nice places? I'm leaning towards the northeast as I haven't been there and it would be a breath of fresh air, per-say. 

Any thoughts or input to help out someone who is rather clueless? I just really want to try somewhere new

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
Re: Nice places to live?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 16:47:05 »
Best place I have ever lived is San Diego.  It checks most of you boxes other than being affordable. 

If you can swing it, I highly recommend it.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 16:47:11 »
Where are you living right now? Oregon?

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 16:51:00 »
Where are you living right now? Oregon?
Mississippi, another one of my family's "Let's drive 3500 miles and move here" plans.

Once I finish high school and have saved up enough to able to afford a move and have some cash to fall back on, I'm moving.

Offline jbondeson

Nice places to live?
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 16:54:15 »
Denver and Boulder Colorado have great software development opportunities, is a hellova lot more affordable than either coast, and has great outdoor activities. The only issue is the rental market is very hot right now with a number of people moving here.

Offline ANightOnCloudNine

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 16:54:41 »
nowhere in canada dont look here

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 16:55:04 »
Got it. I wish I lived in more places. I've traveled a lot but only lived in Vermont, Connecticut, New York (NYC, Albany, Rochester, Buffalo), New Jersey, and Ohio.

I really miss the Northeast and I think that's always a fun experience for someone to have. NYC is a bit pricey but the nearby PA areas are nice and northern NJ isn't bad. Connecticut was kinda like NJ for me.

I want to move back to the Northeast or Seattle or the Bay Area. I'm kinda rambling though.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 16:55:12 »
in the us ?
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 16:55:39 »
Denver and Boulder Colorado have great software development opportunities, is a hellova lot more affordable than either coast, and has great outdoor activities. The only issue is the rental market is very hot right now with a number of people moving here.
do not trust
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 16:56:42 »
in the us ?

That's a good point. Are you limiting yourself just to the USA? I just assumed that.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 16:56:45 »
where they have legal weed

or norway
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 16:57:01 »
You say you don't like the south, but want tech.  The main places to go outside of the South are SF (expensive as ****, pretentious, white people liberal) or Seattle, WA (expensive, gloomy, snobby, pretentious, white people liberal).  I wouldn't recommend either.  I lived in Seattle for years and it was awful.

Sine classify it as the South, others don't, but Austin, Texas is a great place for tech. It's cheap, has nice people, there's lots to do, and it has a growing tech sector.  Utah also has a growing tech sector in SLC and Provo if you can get over being in Mormonville.

I'd avoid Oregon.  Not a ton of tech jobs there abd I don't think that will change soon.
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 January 2016, 16:59:24 by nubbinator »

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 16:57:50 »

do not trust

:<

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 16:59:48 »

do not trust

:<
:-*

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 18:18:47 »
in the us ?

That's a good point. Are you limiting yourself just to the USA? I just assumed that.
I was thinking US for starters, but I've been thinking for a while about moving to denmark, or sweden.

I'm just cautious about moving so far and learning the language  and starting out, getting citizenship, etc... But it's still something I'm open to.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 18:22:23 »
Air Tree confirmed future BSP go between.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 18:28:48 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 16:17:48 by alienman82 »

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 18:30:11 »
in the us ?

I was thinking US for starters, but I've been thinking for a while about moving to denmark, or sweden.

I'm just cautious about moving so far and learning the language  and starting out, getting citizenship, etc... But it's still something I'm open to.
Citizenship in Sweden is no probs lol

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 18:32:57 »
Not here....  Baldgye and firebrand can back me up we're full. But not Photeqk, he's a dirty liberal >:D
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 18:33:26 »

Vancouver is great, but expensive af. We do have amazing outdoors opportunities here, I would miss it too much if I left.  :'( Probably too pricey and out of the way for you though AT.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 18:33:44 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 16:17:46 by alienman82 »

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 18:35:46 »
Not here....  Baldgye and firebrand can back me up we're full. But not Photeqk, he's a dirty liberal >:D

Yeah come live in the UK. It's ****ing top.

JK. **** it.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 18:37:19 »

Vancouver is great, but expensive af. We do have amazing outdoors opportunities here, I would miss it too much if I left.  :'( Probably too pricey and out of the way for you though AT.

I love Montreal, Toronto, and Vancouver. But if I had to pick just one, Montreal all the way.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 18:40:42 »
Northshore Chicago. Although expensive, and the northshore moms can be annoying. It's beautiful, though.

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 18:43:02 »

I love Montreal, Toronto, and Vancouver. But if I had to pick just one, Montreal all the way.

this man knows
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 18:44:39 »
France is a nice place to live in, various stuff to explore.
You have to deal with ****ty people ruling the country tho.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 18:53:56 »

France is a nice place to live in, various stuff to explore.
You have to deal with ****ty people ruling the country tho.

Being perpetually dissatisfied with our gov't is a national pastime so I don't think he'll have an issue there!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 19:05:53 »
New Jersey..

The bad rep, is actually just a joke..  everyone loves it here.. it's a great place to live..

Kinda like when people say yea, pizza is horrible,  because it's obviously So super good.

THe truth is,  how you live is more dependent on Income than "location".    bceause even in a small state like New Jersey,  there are lots and lots of variety of spaces.

If you go to the docks,  it's a mess,  durgs, gangs, $50 rents

If you go to say westfield, tiny house is 700k, great public school, clean quiet streets,

So.. yea.. that's my pitch for New Jersey.

Offline KingRama

• * Maker
  • www.rama.works
    • RAMA WORKS®
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 19:19:06 »
STRAYA. We don't have fast internet, but we got a diverse range of cultures with some pretty cool people. We need some more Geekhacking brethren. :D
Didn't notice my personal messages have been disabled for those thinking you have been blocked - to contact please reach out through Facebook messages or support email!
WEB: https://rama.works/
STORE: https://ramaworks.store/
INSTA: @ramaworks
FB: ramaworks

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 19:21:27 »
STRAYA. We don't have fast internet, but we got a diverse range of cultures with some pretty cool people. We need some more Geekhacking brethren. :D

I would move to Melbourne so ****ing fast if I knew I could find a job. I'll trade my fast internet for the chill vibes and good food.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 19:23:15 »

Sad to say I have yet to visit Montreal. It is definitely on my list though!  :)

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 19:28:34 »

The bad rep, is actually just a joke..  everyone loves it here.. it's a great place to live..

I've spent quite a bit of time in Jersey (and the nice part near Princeton) and you couldn't pay me enough to live there.

The people, oooohhh the people.

Don't get me wrong there are quite a few good people there, but they're out numbered by "the rest."

Offline 27

• The Maple Man
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 19:45:04 »
I'm going to college in Ottawa, but hate the cold... I think I made a poor choice.  Still following through with it, and getting out of London in the most cost effective way.
IG: https://www.instagram.com/27mechs/                                        Website: http://www.mech27.com/

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 19:57:07 »

I've spent quite a bit of time in Jersey (and the nice part near Princeton) and you couldn't pay me enough to live there.

The people, oooohhh the people.

Don't get me wrong there are quite a few good people there, but they're out numbered by "the rest."

??

what's wrong with the people..

I guess because I r so #ronery, i hadn't noticed..

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 19:59:12 »

My man.

Montreal is a great city. I spent four years there.

Toronto not so much. Fun to visit but I would not want to live there.

Victoria is way nicer and a little more affordable than Vancouver.
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 20:04:50 »

I guess it kinda depends on what you want. I think its quite debatable. I have lived in both and prefer Vancouver a whole lot more! :)

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 20:32:52 »
[...] I'm looking to get into the technology field, software developer or something in that area. [...] Any thoughts on places that don't have insane costs of living but are nice places? I'm leaning towards the northeast as I haven't been there and it would be a breath of fresh air, per-say.
What software skills do you have now? Do you have a CS or similar degree? If you have existing programming experience, many companies in the SF Bay Area are still on a hiring binge, and it’s by far the biggest market for programming jobs. Housing costs are ridiculous, but salaries for junior programmers are also often ridiculous by the standards of other parts of the country.

If you’re trying to make a career in software, I recommend going somewhere with a large variety of software jobs to choose (doesn’t have to be the Bay Area; there are lots of software jobs near NYC, Boston, Seattle, Austin, Portland, Chicago, ...). I know several people who moved to cheap-and-nice-to-live places who then got stuck in corporate jobs doing work they hated in a career dead-end, and then couldn’t find much else nearby to switch to.

Edit: whoops, I missed this bit:
Once I finish high school and have saved up enough
I’d recommend either diving seriously into teaching yourself to code and working on your own projects, or going to college (or both). If you have neither experience nor a degree it could be hard to get your foot in the door.
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 January 2016, 20:39:02 by jacobolus »

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 20:35:55 »

I guess it kinda depends on what you want. I think its quite debatable. I have lived in both and prefer Vancouver a whole lot more! :)

Haha yeah definitely something of personal preference. Vancouver would be more exciting for sure.

I'm a Maritimer so honestly the prospect of living anywhere on the west coast is pretty appealing.  :p
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 20:38:16 »
Good to see someone willing to move away from their original area. I have lots of friends who still reside in my home area and just refuse to try something different. I moved interstate a few months after turning 18 and think it was the best thing I ever did. I think if I was to do life again, I would have saved up and tried to live in a different country straight up. But it seems a big part of your intended move is to establish a career so international may not be the best.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 20:38:57 »
You just come find me when you grow up and I'll take care of you bb

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 20:46:46 »
[...] I'm looking to get into the technology field, software developer or something in that area. [...] Any thoughts on places that don't have insane costs of living but are nice places? I'm leaning towards the northeast as I haven't been there and it would be a breath of fresh air, per-say.
What software skills do you have now? Do you have a CS or similar degree? If you have existing programming experience, many companies in the SF Bay Area are still on a hiring binge, and it’s by far the biggest market for programming jobs. Housing costs are ridiculous, but salaries for junior programmers are also often ridiculous by the standards of other parts of the country.

If you’re trying to make a career in software, I recommend going somewhere with a large variety of software jobs to choose (doesn’t have to be the Bay Area; there are lots of software jobs near NYC, Boston, Seattle, Austin, Portland, Chicago, ...). I know several people who moved to cheap-and-nice-to-live places who then got stuck in corporate jobs doing work they hated in a career dead-end, and then couldn’t find much else nearby to switch to.

I’d recommend either diving seriously into teaching yourself to code and working on your own projects, or going to college (or both). If you have neither experience nor a degree it could be hard to get your foot in the door.
I only added that because I'm planning on going to college and I'm going to be delving into teaching my self code and working on projects now.

I don't expect to land any jobs without any experience or degrees behind me.

Just somewhere with a jobs market that could suit me in the long run, maybe I'll move when I start actively looking for that sort of job once I have the credentials, who knows.

You gonna be my sugar daddy then? :))
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 January 2016, 20:49:42 by Air tree »

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 20:47:24 »
Double post, oops.
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 January 2016, 20:48:59 by Air tree »

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 20:51:16 »

I only added that because I'm planning on going to college and I'm going to be delving into teaching my self code and working on projects now.

Just somewhere with a jobs market that could suit me in the long run, maybe I'll move when I start actively looking for that sort of job once I have the credentials, who knows.

You gonna need to be a real person, but I can show you a few things, bring you on road trips, put bandages on your wounds, etc

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 20:54:10 »

You gonna need to be a real person, but I can show you a few things, bring you on road trips, put bandages on your wounds, etc
You're looking for an American sifo?

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 21:09:26 »
I've lived in NYC, working as a software developer, for the last 3 years or so. Once the lady graduates from school, we'll very likely be moving to Austin for the reasons nubbinator listed.

Offline KingRama

• * Maker
  • www.rama.works
    • RAMA WORKS®
« Reply #45 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 21:12:57 »
I would move to Melbourne so ****ing fast if I knew I could find a job. I'll trade my fast internet for the chill vibes and good food.

Dudeeeee, do it!! What industry do you work in?
Didn't notice my personal messages have been disabled for those thinking you have been blocked - to contact please reach out through Facebook messages or support email!
WEB: https://rama.works/
STORE: https://ramaworks.store/
INSTA: @ramaworks
FB: ramaworks

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 21:13:09 »

You're looking for an American sifo?

I guess so!

Offline Dongulator

« Reply #47 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 21:17:38 »
Seattle, WA (expensive, gloomy, snobby, pretentious, white people liberal).

Your forgetting about the traffic,homeless,drugs*legal weed :)
Currently living in Seattle from Minneapolis and loving it. But it has it's fair share of problems.

Offline Yoe

• Alps & ISO <3
« Reply #48 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 21:51:27 »
SWEDEN

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 22:08:40 »
dont come to cali. this place sucks ass. too much traffic and we barely have enough water.