Author Topic: Vibration Absorption Mat for FC660C?  (Read 2080 times)

Offline geeko

Vibration Absorption Mat for FC660C?
« on: Mon, 22 February 2021, 05:57:08 »
There is a Vibration Absorption Mat (http://www.smartimports.net/hhkb-hg-embossed-vibration-absorption-mat/) for the HHKB which seems fantastic! I was wondering if there is such a thing for the Leopold FC660C? Does anyone know?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Vibration Absorption Mat for FC660C?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 22 February 2021, 06:51:28 »
You just buy some foam and a scalpal and cut one out. Jesus, kiz these days, wth, you pay $40 for that, you're an idiot.

Not saying geeko is an idiot, unless of course he buys one of those.

geeko, don't buy that, be smarter

Offline geeko

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 23 February 2021, 14:11:37 »
wow, took 1 comment to try to derail this into a flame war. Maybe you should have a bit more tact in the way you communicate.

Which foam do you suggest as a good alternative to that? And where to buy?

Offline yui

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 24 February 2021, 04:02:49 »
wow, took 1 comment to try to derail this into a flame war. Maybe you should have a bit more tact in the way you communicate.

Which foam do you suggest as a good alternative to that? And where to buy?
Tp is Tp everyone around here knows not to take him too seriously, he always turns everything up to a religious war level be it screen colors, keyboard angles or food, although he has often good information buried in his posts.
Pretty much any dense foam will do, peoples often use shelf liner or i also saw roof insulation neoprene.
i would recommend not going through amazon but that is because of my personal belief that a slaver do not need my money, or yours
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 24 February 2021, 08:25:10 »
Neoprene has a high compression set, it's not stable..

Low durometer Silicone is the way to go.

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 24 February 2021, 08:40:40 »
you pay $40 for that, you're an idiot.

Guilty

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 24 February 2021, 08:42:24 »
Neoprene has a high compression set, it's not stable..

Low durometer Silicone is the way to go.

Show Image

Genuinely interested tho, I actually recently bought neoprene for this exact purpose. Can you provide more detail as to why it's not suitable?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 24 February 2021, 08:59:39 »
Genuinely interested tho, I actually recently bought neoprene for this exact purpose. Can you provide more detail as to why it's not suitable?

It's fine for the objective at hand, I've only provided a more informed option if you haven't bought one.

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 24 February 2021, 09:01:34 »

It's fine for the objective at hand, I've only provided a more informed option if you haven't bought one.

Neoprene can be repurposed. I'm interested in knowing why it is less suitable than something else like silicone.
I thirst for knowledge

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 24 February 2021, 09:37:45 »
Neoprene can be repurposed. I'm interested in knowing why it is less suitable than something else like silicone.
I thirst for knowledge

Neoprene deforms and doesn't bounce back (compression set), so if you had a thickness specification, or compressed load points, all of that changes over time. You can't compensate for this, because you'd never get the initial thickness to FIT. Neoprene can lose 30-50%

Silicone holds up to 90% of its shape over time. You can compensate with 10% and in most cases it will be a squeeze but overall (Probably) still fit.

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 24 February 2021, 10:38:35 »
I thirst for knowledge

Neoprene deforms and doesn't bounce back (compression set), so if you had a thickness specification, or compressed load points, all of that changes over time. You can't compensate for this, because you'd never get the initial thickness to FIT. Neoprene can lose 30-50%

Silicone holds up to 90% of its shape over time. You can compensate with 10% and in most cases it will be a squeeze but overall (Probably) still fit.

Sweet! Thanks for explaining.

Offline micmil

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 24 February 2021, 11:49:57 »

I thirst for knowledge

Yes, so after 8-10 years of using your keyboard in the exact same spot in the exact same way you'll have a problem if you want to take that particular bit of neoprene and repurpose it for something else. It will have slight divots.

This is the "problem" that makes it "less suitable" for exact application it's widely used for.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 24 February 2021, 13:50:25 »
Yes, so after 8-10 years of using your keyboard in the exact same spot in the exact same way you'll have a problem if you want to take that particular bit of neoprene and repurpose it for something else. It will have slight divots.

This is the "problem" that makes it "less suitable" for exact application it's widely used for.

Not true, Neoprene can lose its shape within days,  it isn't the case that the entirety of the sheet is in contact, the Load points where the highest positions meet gets knocked down making the dampening far less effective.

Offline micmil

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 24 February 2021, 14:28:14 »

Not true, Neoprene can lose its shape within days,  it isn't the case that the entirety of the sheet is in contact, the Load points where the highest positions meet gets knocked down making the dampening far less effective.

****, I'd better be careful with the mouse pads I've had for years.  :rolleyes:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 24 February 2021, 14:37:40 »

****, I'd better be careful with the mouse pads I've had for years.  :rolleyes:

it's ruining your K/D