Author Topic: Geekhack GB Conspiracy  (Read 7540 times)

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
Geekhack GB Conspiracy
« on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 14:13:19 »
Is it just me or if after 180 days from payment it is common to get ill (end up at a hospital) and have a family emergency (never explained) with no evidence, and disappear for 2-3 months? Of course the only way to contact them after they get ill is when legal action is taken, then miraculously they appear to be fine.

I was thinking about running a GB but I don't want to know what will happen to me..

TL;DR: THE MAGICAL 45 DAY AFTER PAYMENT AFFLICTION
45<180????
EDIT: NOW ITS 180!!! 181th day = cya
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 May 2015, 22:58:09 by Meiosis »
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 14:16:16 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 September 2015, 13:23:51 by esoomenona »

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Re: Geekhack GB Conspiracy
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 14:16:51 »
Not to sound insensitive but I gotta agree with Meiosis. This isn't the first time a situation like this has happened with the unexplained absence that always ends up being health related. Are we all that unhealthy because we're spending all our time on the computer?

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 14:17:21 »
Is it just me or if after 45 days from payment it is common to get ill (end up at a hospital) and have a family emergency (never explained) with no evidence, and disappear for 2-3 months? Of course the only way to contact them after they get ill is when legal action is taken, then miraculously they appear to be fine.

I was thinking about running a GB but I don't want to know what will happen to me..

I'm sure something terrible will happen to you.  Like it has me.

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 14:19:21 »
Is it just me or if after 45 days from payment it is common to get ill (end up at a hospital) and have a family emergency (never explained) with no evidence, and disappear for 2-3 months? Of course the only way to contact them after they get ill is when legal action is taken, then miraculously they appear to be fine.

There are definitely real cases, but I bet if we asked around for hospital notices/doctor notes people won't be able to provide them.
Keyboards:
Aripeko TKL

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 14:20:04 »

Just think how much worse that tooth might have been though if you'd decided to run a key cap group buy on your own......:eek:

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 14:21:46 »

Just think how much worse that tooth might have been though if you'd decided to run a key cap group buy on your own......:eek:

It starts with cavity, a cavity that took 2 months to fill... and during those 2 months you disappear off the face of the earth, because you know no one has internet at the hospital, and especially a mobile phone?! blasphemy. Oh, I lied. The phone does have internet, you can only chat on skype and reddit on it, but of course you can't talk to anyone related to the GB
Keyboards:
Aripeko TKL

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 14:23:24 »

It starts with cavity, a cavity that took 2 months to fill... and during those 2 months you disappear off the face of the earth, because you know no one has internet at the hospital, and especially a mobile phone?! blasphemy. Oh, I lied. The phone does have internet, you can only chat on skype and reddit on it, but of course you can't talk to anyone related to the GB
That's how these things work,  brah.  We know this by now. >__>

Offline engicoder

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 14:54:00 »
I started my small Rad Hard group buy, which is merely an add on to another group buy about that long ago, and last Monday I found out I need a hip replacement. Theory confirmed!!

Engicoder's corollary to the Geekhack Group Buy Infirmity Theorem: The magnitude of the infirmity is inversely proportional to that of the group buy.

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 14:57:41 »
I started my small Rad Hard group buy, which is merely an add on to another group buy about that long ago, and last Monday I found out I need a hip replacement. Theory confirmed!!

Engicoder's corollary to the Geekhack Group Buy Infirmity Theorem: The magnitude of the infirmity is inversely proportional to that of the group buy.

See you in 3 months buddy, remember, you can't talk to anyone in your GB, but everyone else is fine as long as they don't ask about it
Keyboards:
Aripeko TKL

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 15:39:44 »
This is the same thing with EVERY business..

They got their best girls out front..    Then when you pay the fees and walk through the door..    Well   not so awesome..

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 15:43:18 »
This is the same thing with EVERY business..

They got their best girls out front..    Then when you pay the fees and walk through the door..    Well   not so awesome..

This reminds me of when Abercrombie and Hollister first opened their doors. :))

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 16:50:12 »
My Enabler group buy went pretty smooth.  From initial announcement of the GB to all orders shipped was within days of exactly 5 months.  This includes accepting orders, modifications of options, design work of said modifications, collecting money, sorting and shipping.  It was over 6,000 pieces and over 15 square feet of single switch pcbs.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 16:52:29 »
im 100% on my group buys
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 17:13:49 »
Sure, you wait awhile sometimes. Like 2 years for r4 (or was it 3?).  But I've always eventually gotten my goods. And now I'm extra thankful for those caps I waited so long for.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 07:17:21 »
Or they just decide not to pay SP for the caps they ordered and SP resells them to recoup their costs.... So other people buy the caps you've already paid for, for less than you paid, and you get... nothing but a bad taste in your mouth for GB's (DrugER and the DSA Dolch GB).

Hasn't stopped me from joining in GB's organised by people who have run properly successful GB's in the past or ones fulfilled by SP, though. Got some GMK Dolch on their way to me now, so I don't care about the DSA set any more.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline okooko

• afk.
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 12 October 2014, 22:49:37 »
now with no-one replying in the lzgh GB anymore cept me for the last few replies... feels like im one of a few people left a little sour...
never usually had an issue with GB's - apart from how long some took (but nonetheless still came in the post eventually)

pick your GB's.
harder than picking your partner.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 12 October 2014, 22:51:19 »
now with no-one replying in the lzgh GB anymore cept me for the last few replies... feels like im one of a few people left a little sour...
never usually had an issue with GB's - apart from how long some took (but nonetheless still came in the post eventually)

pick your GB's.
harder than picking your partner.

Seems like they have pretty much swept that one under the rug so to speak. :(

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 12 October 2014, 23:35:03 »

Has something happened recently that I'm not aware of?

In all seriousness though things do happen. I was lucky to have some very patient people involved in some trades recently, broke two fingers and twisted an ankle over the period of just over a month. Made getting to the post office very difficult but they were all very patient and let me take my time.
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 October 2014, 23:38:49 by bueller »
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline doublin

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 00:23:46 »

In all seriousness though things do happen. I was lucky to have some very patient people involved in some trades recently, broke two fingers and twisted an ankle over the period of just over a month. Made getting to the post office very difficult but they were all very patient and let me take my time.

I guess some of them are referring to the LZGH GB: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=39571.0 

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 01:21:21 »

I guess some of them are referring to the LZGH GB: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=39571.0 

That's ****ed up

Offline Motan22

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 03:03:31 »
Although it is not probably how I would word things... I prefer a bit more tact, I have to agree that the issue raised here and the connotations implied are more than justified.

The number one eyebrow raiser in any case is a complete drop off in communication. That should always set alarm bells off.

I can only hazard a guess that so few people raise concerns in these circumstances because they don't want to appear to be trouble making. Personally I think it is really important that as a group we objectively discuss issues with a group buy and the only ways forward to reasonably tackle them if nothing else appears to be working.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 11:50:25 »
Group buys are difficult to do even when everything goes as expected, when unexpected things pop-up then it can take awhile to get things back on track.

With the exception of Massdrop and PMK, all group buys are organized and run by volunteers and the work performed is in your "spare time". Most people are unaware of just how much work goes into a simple group buy, much less the more complicated ones, and the best of intentions get cast aside as work/school/life gets in the way.

I did the fulfillment for Commando23 and got bit in the butt just like everyone else on the first group buy. I had planned on shipping out in October when I volunteered, but the caps arrived in December. End-of-year work stuff, holidays, etc. created the perfect storm and I was AFK for a good month, or two. I eventually got things back on track and shipped everyones stuff out, but I can see how a more complicated group buy could have put me even further behind.

That's not to say that it doesn't suck hard with a GB languishes. I freakin' hate it as much as the next person, but that's the risk we take when we participate in a community backed project. I'm more cautious now with a buy and really look at who the organizer is before choosing to join, but you have to balance the risk vs. the reward.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 11:18:08 »
OP needs to be updated as the paypal deadline is now 180 days so it may require multiple hardships to break the deadline.

Offline Tiramisuu

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 15:51:18 »
Plenty of the group buys have too many choices and too many dependencies.    In the effort to make everyone happy something always goes wrong.

Simple bare bones buys have a lot better chance of getting to finished if you ignore all the great ideas and just stick with a plan.
Keyboard error F1 to continue.

Poker 2, Gherkin, Lets Split, Planck, Filco

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 16:12:34 »
OP needs to be updated as the paypal deadline is now 180 days so it may require multiple hardships to break the deadline.
what's up with all these necros?
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 16:14:14 »

Thread isn't even a year old..... :-\

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 16:41:35 »

Pls no bully
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 16:44:11 »

6+ months is a necro, you get the warning and everything when posting.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 16:44:44 »

rekt

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 16:49:45 »
I didn't know we had necro police now. And I posted in 2 older threads today, 2....geez, this place isn't even worth coming to anymore. Bunch of jerks.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 17:23:34 »
A better question is why do so many people have a problem with adding to an old thread?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 17:48:54 »
I didn't know we had necro police now. And I posted in 2 older threads today, 2....geez, this place isn't even worth coming to anymore. Bunch of jerks.

Not necro policing (though I do point it out when it's a year or more old), just pointing out that 6+ months is considered necroing. 

A better question is why do so many people have a problem with adding to an old thread?

If there are more current threads, it can be confusing.  Information can be out of date in the thread.  The OP can be inactive.  There are a lot of reasons why people don't like necroing aside from it just being poor etiquette.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 17:52:10 »
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 22:57:04 »

You are always looking out for me :)
Keyboards:
Aripeko TKL

Offline clacktalk

• CLACKS RULE EVERYTHING AROUND ME
  • circa 2015
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 22:59:53 »

You are always looking out for me :)

get with the times noob
diary of a clacktalk

franktalk: how much urine have u spilled
radio_killah: too much frank
radio_killah: too much

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 08:01:52 »

There's a warning? What's it look like?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 08:25:10 »

bright red box above the message box
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 08:27:30 »

I'd like to point it there is no warning on Tapatalk, which is what I've been posting from lately.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 08:28:46 »
Show Image

ebully

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 09:03:22 »

I'd like to point it there is no warning on Tapatalk, which is what I've been posting from lately.
That's why I was asking lol. Get tired of reading on my computer and just transition over to my phone.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 06 June 2015, 16:47:39 »
Hmmm, can we make a list of old threads ripe for necro, just to annoy people (not mentioning any names but they start with Nub)?
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825