Author Topic: neural lace  (Read 1528 times)

Offline 9999hp

neural lace
« on: Wed, 19 September 2018, 15:14:56 »
So some of you may heard about neural lace, was wondering what your thoughts are about it?

Neural lace is a device(?) that's supposed to increase the "bandwidth" between the brain and the digital world thereby increasing your speed of access to the digital world. I think the procedure is done by either drilling a hole into the skull or something and inserting an unraveling lace that encompasses the brain or I think I watched a snippet on musk say you can insert it through the jugular soon or something along those lines.

Horrifying procedure aside (It's probably mild comparatively), are you interested in that kind of improvement? What do you think the implications would be of thousands or millions of people being able to access the digital world exponentially faster than a couple fingers can? From the sounds of it; seems to function like another layer to the brain.

I enjoy the context in which it is being brought forth, something to take humanity to the next step of cognition, however haxxors, evil corp etc worry me. Or being perpetually bombarded by ads. Or what about a text bomb sent directly to your head, whew.  Would someone be able to program another? Not that that doesn't happen already -_-

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: neural lace
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 19 September 2018, 18:13:37 »
Does this require the brain to be developed with the neural lace throughout physical growth thereby forming a cohesive neural net interface ?

I don't understand how the software really integrates with the brain besides reading it. which is only part of what we want.

Copy and Paste is the critical next step.

Offline ygor

• eat a butt, monkey lord
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 19 September 2018, 18:20:56 »
yuppster linked me this article a little while back:

https://waitbutwhy.com/2017/04/neuralink.html

is a really great read on this stuff, worth diving into... though the whole thing will take you like 4.5 hours if you're a slow af reader like me.
I generally hate all keycaps. Keycaps are for poofs. Real men touchtype on stems. Non-functional artisans are awesome, I use them for the ESC key ... escape is for cowards anyways, real men go frontal assault.

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 20 September 2018, 11:31:03 »
Does this require the brain to be developed with the neural lace throughout physical growth thereby forming a cohesive neural net interface ?

I don't understand how the software really integrates with the brain besides reading it. which is only part of what we want.

Copy and Paste is the critical next step.

No it doesn't sound like it requires it be placed early on. It's an interfacing device from the sound of it. Like a keyboard, wrapped around your brain that is stimulated by your own brain's impulses as well as can be stimulated by it. I'm unsure of the extent of use; I mean I haven't really seen much besides the snippets and little articles about it.

... So it's said to use similar tech to how they can have a paraplegic use a robotic arm with brainwaves to feed themselves, and that same tech can be used to put information in the brain. So sounds like, if you're connected to a network, maybe thinking about a certain law of physics will "remind" you what the actual law is? Essentially digital eidetic recall maybe?

This stuff sounds futuristic and sci-fi as hell; and is really interesting. On the Joe Rogan podcast with Elon, he mentions this might be a way to keep up with AI if we're not to turn ourselves over or still want to be competitive.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 20 September 2018, 12:00:56 »

This stuff sounds futuristic and sci-fi as hell; this might be a way to keep up with AI if we're not to turn ourselves over or still want to be competitive.

It may not be possible to keep pace with AI at the (Individual-humans) lvl.

Unless they remove all the regulation on ethical human/animal testing, we can't rapidly mutate humans to expand brain mass,  which is going to be AI's prime advantage.

A human mind can only be so large,  we may have all the knowledge to do something within the community of humans,  but cross disciplinary is rare, and there again is the bandwidth constraint which the neural lace as a read system doesn't solve..

Meanwhile, an AI's mind can grow indefinitely across all disciplines and merge that know how..

AI transcendence is inevitable..

In the end, it will be at the whim of our AI-overlord whether to integrate the Fleshies into Their future..

Not the other way around.

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 20 September 2018, 12:13:25 »
Oh yea, I totally get that currently with all we know, that's the outcome. I think neural lace is a step in the right direction. I mean think of everything you know now just with the use a a keyboard, mouse, and computer. You can find almost anything.

And I don't think it's being touted as being used in order expand brain capacity directly. As far as I understand it'll be like cloud hosting the entire library of the world, and you being able to withdraw as you please using your brain. Again, not sure how connectivity to the rest of the world is gonna work.

Plus, who is to say this won't enable us to interact with the AI anyway some day; with sufficient innovation maybe it'll allow us to tap into that computing power; renting the processing power of computers for ourselves.

I've said it in other places; I'm not particularly attached to having a meat sack body; given the op I might go something more mechanical in nature :/ We just might be fighting against the current of the universe trying to remain the apex being though