Author Topic: Diabr0 4  (Read 2868 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Diabr0 4
« on: Fri, 02 June 2023, 01:54:14 »
So, online peeps complaining that D4 is just D3 + 10 years and no progress.

Here's the thing though, if anyone is still playing video games 10 years apart, they probably became an adult.

So, is the problem that the games haven't improved, or that NO-Game would really be that interesting to adults, as most gameplay elements of Action RPGs are grindy.

Where Grindy in real life (adult life) is something they "pay you" to do, rather than you "pay them" to experience, such as washing dishes.

What exactly are adults expecting out of these "games."

Are we asking for things which do not exist given the reality that is "Growing Up" and "Aging Out" ?

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
Re: Diabr0 4
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 02 June 2023, 05:30:48 »
Tried the demo, it was better than D3, but still felt nowhere near as engaging as D2 ever did. It's so tragic they turned away from that magic formula of actual character building.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 02 June 2023, 06:03:06 »
I liked D3 for what it was, but found the post-game Paragon system to be kinda lazy and it just wound up feeling like MMO-style gear grinding.
Reaper Of Souls was great content though, I thoroughly enjoyed the story and levels for the dlc.

Prolly give D4 a try when they hammer out a major update patch

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 02 June 2023, 07:50:24 »
D4, imo, plays alot better than D3 did - the skill tree and focus tree appears to be more refined and allow better/stronger builds.  I plan on picking up a copy today more than likely since I am at a stale point on Destiny 2 (only 2nd week into a new season, and already done with what I need for now lol).

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 02 June 2023, 08:49:35 »
post-game MMO-style gear grinding.

This is every ARPG though. Certain ones like Souls doesn't force you to play equipment only, but behind the scenes, it's the same table of values driving the game, emphasis on physical exertion/timing is not really a departure from table elements, it just appears that way, cognitively we're running the same cost/benefit analysis.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 02 June 2023, 09:54:59 »
Any D2 players at all here? xD

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 03 June 2023, 13:50:30 »
Tried the demo, it was better than D3, but still felt nowhere near as engaging as D2 ever did. It's so tragic they turned away from that magic formula of actual character building.

Where to download the demo chryos, tp4 doesn't see an option on the battle.net app. Were you in the beta?

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 03 June 2023, 14:04:31 »

Where to download the demo chryos, tp4 doesn't see an option on the battle.net app. Were you in the beta?

Eh yeah, now that you mention it, it was indeed a beta ':D . I'm guessing they don't offer a demo option anymore.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 05 June 2023, 17:09:11 »

F*** yeah!  ;D
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 05 June 2023, 17:35:48 »

F*** yeah!  ;D

the new one, or the original?

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 06 June 2023, 02:54:23 »

F*** yeah!  ;D

Hundreds of hours on original.
Almost finished new one, also good, but I like to switch to old graphics during gameplay :D

Original was phenomenal. I spent whole vacation period between 1st and 2nd year of uni (2000). My friend travelled 700km with his PC and stayed at my place for a month, we played Diablo 2 for 15 hours a day, just taking break for eating and some short siteseeing (back then I lived in polish mountains area, pure highlands, but still, Diablo was more important :D).

So yeah, I'm a hardcore OG Diablo 2 player.
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 June 2023, 02:58:17 by phinix »
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 06 June 2023, 06:05:04 »

F*** yeah!  ;D

Hundreds of hours on original.
Almost finished new one, also good, but I like to switch to old graphics during gameplay :D

Original was phenomenal. I spent whole vacation period between 1st and 2nd year of uni (2000). My friend travelled 700km with his PC and stayed at my place for a month, we played Diablo 2 for 15 hours a day, just taking break for eating and some short siteseeing (back then I lived in polish mountains area, pure highlands, but still, Diablo was more important :D).

So yeah, I'm a hardcore OG Diablo 2 player.
Me too, I've spent so much time on the original I wouldn't be able to even estimate it.

I like the remaster as well! Adds a lot of QoL, although of course we had mods for that for the old one. Still, like it a lot. I was disappointed beyond consolation when D3 betrayed D2's legacy so much. D4 seems better, but doesn't capture the magic as well either.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 06 June 2023, 08:04:52 »

My friend travelled 700km with his PC and stayed at my place for a month, we played Diablo 2 for 15 hours a day, just taking break for eating and some short siteseeing

Glad I'm too old (I was over 30 before I even touched a personal computer) to get involved with gaming.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 06 June 2023, 08:20:53 »

My friend travelled 700km with his PC and stayed at my place for a month, we played Diablo 2 for 15 hours a day, just taking break for eating and some short siteseeing

Glad I'm too old (I was over 30 before I even touched a personal computer) to get involved with gaming.

You can still do it,  you just need to consume a medically significant quantity of d0ritos + mountain dew

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 06 June 2023, 09:47:25 »
Honestly, I really like Doritos (the original cheese ones) and buy a bag at least once a month, but Mountain Dew (which was originally produced in my hometown, and I remember the catch phrase from the old TV commercials "They's a thang in ev'r bottle!") has always been nasty to me - as a kid I was a loyal Coke drinker (with an occasional 7-Up or its later superior competitor Sprite (and I remember when that came out)). As an adult, tonic water (quinine water) was my preferred soft drink until around the turn of the millennium when removed most all ridiculous forms of sugar from my diet.

Today I probably average spending at least a few minutes a day on word puzzles and/or Solitaire, but that is pretty much it. There have been times that I enjoyed doing visual puzzles, too, like blocks or balloons, but none of them have interested me much in recent years.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 06 June 2023, 10:12:44 »
Gaming is a fantastic way to keep you busy if you're incapable of doing nothing for a span of five seconds or more without going insane. It's the ADD dream black hole.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 11 June 2023, 16:49:43 »
The classes are really boring and basic in D4, it feels like they are just copying D2 base classes and there's nothing weird like Witch Doc, Monk, or Demon Hunter. If anything this makes me appreciate the specialized classes from D3 much more. At this point I feel forced to play barb again, maybe Druid. The other 3 classes have  zero appeal to me mechanic wise.

Almost certinally they will reveal 2-4 more classes, and I would bet my ass one of them will be Amazon as a callback to D2.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 11 June 2023, 17:24:48 »
yea, they're holding out for dlc.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 12 June 2023, 03:21:46 »
The classes are really boring and basic in D4, it feels like they are just copying D2 base classes and there's nothing weird like Witch Doc, Monk, or Demon Hunter. If anything this makes me appreciate the specialized classes from D3 much more. At this point I feel forced to play barb again, maybe Druid. The other 3 classes have  zero appeal to me mechanic wise.

Almost certinally they will reveal 2-4 more classes, and I would bet my ass one of them will be Amazon as a callback to D2.
I really like the classes they went with tbh, but the game disappointed me because a) character customisation is still kinda bland b) the music sucks c) limited procedural generation. Might still be good but wasn't convinced by the free weekend. Obviously better than D3 at least but just not sure about it.

Might still pick it up later but at $70 it feels like far too high a price point to take a gamble.