Author Topic: Liquid Spill Killed my Left Windows Key - FC900R - SMD replacement?  (Read 2092 times)

Offline Volucris

• beep boop
Tragically I spilled a beer on my Leopold FC900R and two keys stopped working even after a flush of the board. The left control, and left windows key died. A continuity test showed little to no continuity in use, so I desoldered the switches, disassembled, and cleaned them. After soldering both switches back in place, the left control key works fine. However the left Windows key, while passing continuity for the switch itself, will not work in the OS. I can't see any obvious damage to the board but have not removed the full plate (have to desolder all switches to remove the plate). I've also tried dip switch combinations per the Leopold brochure in Korean.

I've checked the nearby SMDs, and the D86 and D17 diode both seem toast. The other diodes of similar placement are reading about 720 on my multimeter. I suppose the next question is what specific diodes do I replace these with? Or could they be fine and I'm not checking them right? The rest of the keyboard works fine in keyboard tester. And I suppose I'm not fully understanding why both of those SMDs would be bad, but the left control still works.

Some pictures:

Thanks for any help provided.
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 January 2019, 16:32:07 by Volucris »
KUL ES-87 - MX Browns

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Liquid Spill Killed my Left Windows Key - FC900R - SMD replacement?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 06 January 2019, 16:59:19 »
if you're sure it's the diode, just put in new ones, they don't have to be smd, you can get any diodes it'll prolly work.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 06 January 2019, 22:12:55 »
Hope you manage to fix it—but if you don't, keep in mind that Shift+Esc opens the Start Menu too.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline Volucris

• beep boop
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 08 February 2019, 21:51:41 »
Update:

Ordered some SMDs on eBay and was able to replace them on this board. Works just fine now. Not the same resistance as the stock SMDs, but close enough.
KUL ES-87 - MX Browns

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 09 February 2019, 06:38:51 »
Glad you got it working :thumb:

keep in mind that Shift+Esc opens the Start Menu too.
It's Ctrl+Esc for me - is this an ISO quirk?
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline fer.real

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 09 February 2019, 06:47:03 »
Glad you got it working :thumb:

keep in mind that Shift+Esc opens the Start Menu too.
It's Ctrl+Esc for me - is this an ISO quirk?

No, it's Ctrl + Esc for everyone.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12445/windows-keyboard-shortcuts