Author Topic: Pillow for Summer ?  (Read 2272 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Pillow for Summer ?
« on: Mon, 30 May 2016, 19:21:11 »
Anyone got recommendation? 

There are like a million of these things on Amazon.. any of them good?

I searched --cool pillow--,  mostly this blue gel cover stuff comes up.

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
Re: Pillow for Summer ?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 30 May 2016, 19:28:38 »
It's simple, forget the pillow, just move the bed into a room sized freezer and you should be cool in the night.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 30 May 2016, 19:33:30 »
Buy an air conditioner. I swear we go through this every single year tp, just get a dang AC unit already.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 30 May 2016, 19:34:37 »
It's simple, forget the pillow, just move the bed into a room sized freezer and you should be cool in the night.

hahaha...

Yea I got the AC on,  but at night the mattress could still make it --too warm--

I'm breaking out the thinner comforter tonight.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 30 May 2016, 19:35:27 »
Last pillows I bought were from overstock. I think @mashby had linked them.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 30 May 2016, 19:38:56 »

did the pillows have -cooling- features ?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 30 May 2016, 19:41:43 »

did the pillows have -cooling- features ?
They seem fine for general year round use, they don't have any specific cooling features. :P

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 30 May 2016, 19:44:03 »
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/hydraluxe-air-trade-cooling-fiber-standard-pillow-in-white/1045930386?categoryId=13114

You can actively feel whatever skin touches it cool down when it stays in contact for more than 10 sec.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 30 May 2016, 19:49:34 »
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/hydraluxe-air-trade-cooling-fiber-standard-pillow-in-white/1045930386?categoryId=13114

You can actively feel whatever skin touches it cool down when it stays in contact for more than 10 sec.

Hrrrmmm... looks good..

How does it work though..

I can understand how a pillow could absorb some heat,  but then after the pillow warms up it'd need to dump heat somehow.. does this surface do that?

Is there such a thing as active cooling pillow.. ?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 30 May 2016, 19:51:28 »
I remember I was at this rich guy's house once,  and he had a jade pillow,  Yea a solid piece of jade, 25lbs, it was contoured..

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 30 May 2016, 20:17:53 »
There are regular pillows that are filled with some kind of synthetic fibres that are supposed to transfer excess heat away better than other fibres. Supposedly.
I don't know what it is called, but I can't think that it would be very unusual.

Other than that, get one of those flat bottles that are used in cooling bags. Fill it with water, freeze it and put in the bottom of your pillow. Should work, but ... condensation.
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 May 2016, 20:20:38 by Findecanor »

Offline zcmy

• I really should be working... not "working"
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 30 May 2016, 20:34:17 »
Get a bamboo pillow. I think those are a bit cooling. Or..hmm..you could also get a bamboo overlayer thing that should keep it a bit cooler. Not sure how hot it gets in your room though.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 30 May 2016, 21:54:53 »
Get a hammock.

Then you'll be able to sleep suspended in mid-air with much better ventilation all around.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline rurushu

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 31 May 2016, 01:14:44 »
I know this is kind of bull, but I have to post this, a old Chinese saying that rings:

心静自然凉

though I stay in a country near the equator, hence no four seasons, but the weather here can be hot as F for months if without rain.
And I do not use AC when sleep, even have to had a blanket on my belly to feel assurance even though the weather is like microwave oven.

Offline gohono3

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 15:01:20 »
Technogel carries higher quality gel cooling pillows, my favorite's are the Anatomic and Contour.  I would pair that with some bamboo sheets as they are breathable and naturally anti-microbial, Dream Fit is a good brand.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 15:08:42 »
Technogel carries higher quality gel cooling pillows, my favorite's are the Anatomic and Contour.  I would pair that with some bamboo sheets as they are breathable and naturally anti-microbial, Dream Fit is a good brand.

where are you buying bamboo sheets in the USA.

Offline gohono3

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 16:05:54 »
The sheet set I was referring to is a 70% Bamboo Rayon 30% Cotton blend and you can find them on Amazon by searching for "DreamFit Bamboo Degree 5".

Both the brands I recommended are more expensive, but they make higher quality products than most you'd compare.  I was able to find a few decent alternatives by just searching for bamboo sheets on amazon, but most of them are the 100% viscose rayon variety.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 16:15:24 »
The sheet set I was referring to is a 70% Bamboo Rayon 30% Cotton blend and you can find them on Amazon by searching for "DreamFit Bamboo Degree 5".

Both the brands I recommended are more expensive, but they make higher quality products than most you'd compare.  I was able to find a few decent alternatives by just searching for bamboo sheets on amazon, but most of them are the 100% viscose rayon variety.

Ok,  so I need both the Gel  AND the Bamboo right ?

Offline gohono3

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 17:58:35 »
I've always had trouble with sleeping hot, and the gel pillow + bamboo sheets does a lot to help regulate my temperature, at least makes it manageable.

I also use lighter linen covers/duvets for extra breathability. Outside of that, if you are on a foam mattress, they tend to insulate heat. Coil mattresses usually allow more air to flow through the mattress.  The biggest factor that will diminish heat build up is increasing air circulation.