Author Topic: RIP Kenoki  (Read 1521 times)

Offline Kavik

RIP Kenoki
« on: Tue, 26 March 2019, 02:20:50 »
My mom informed me tonight that my cat of almost 20 years, Kenoki, died two weeks ago. I'm not sure why she waited to tell me other than the usual lack of family communication. I had been visiting weekly or bi-weekly with the exception of that week because of my wife's and my anniversary, so I would have been there that day had I been following the usual schedule.

For whatever reason, I can't remember the exact details and timeline, but I believe we took him in sometime in late 1999 (my mom says around August) when he was still a kitten, which means he was coming up on his 20th birthday. My family was always a "dog" family that would *never* own a cat, but Kenoki changed our minds.

I know everyone says this about his cat, and it's usually BS, but Kenoki was a one of a kind cat who seemed to understand English to some extent, or at least tone and body language. The way he responded and interacted with people seemed to indicate such. In any event, he was an intelligent cat with hunting prowess. We used to hear repeated banging on the front door, only to find a dead mouse with its head ripped off or heart eaten out. One time, he even caught a squirrel by the neck that was almost as big as he was. It drew our attention because the squirrel was screeching so loudly we could hear it inside as Kenoki just walked around trying to figure out what to do with it. I had to grab him and force him to let the squirrel go. There was also the occasional puff of feathers with no bird to be found. He would get into fights with other cats as well. He permanently lost a few bits of flesh from the edges of his ears and once had a cut across his face from cat fights. For a long time, his rivals were a larger white cat across the street that would sometimes mooch food off the front porch (this nemesis was referred to as "Whitey") and another larger black cat (known as "Tommy cat") (Edit: this was actually a tabby cat, I forgot). I'm not sure whatever happened to them, but Kenoki always survived (not to imply he killed them. They mostly just had stare downs).

He's the only cat I've known of to go for walks with his owners; when I walked or ran in the neighborhood, he would sometimes trot beside me for maybe a quarter mile without a leash. Another testament to his intelligence is that he never marked anything (unless he accidentally got trapped in a room for too long and couldn't hold it) or needed any potty training. He figured out on his own to pee in the bathtub if the litter box was full; although, most of the time, he'd just do his business outside. One of the funniest moments was when I was in my backyard with the dogs, and he hopped the fence. The dogs didn't notice him just long enough for him to get a few feet into the yard, and then they sprinted towards him and he sprinted back towards the fence and frantically sprung over it: instant regret.

There's a lot I could say about him, but it won't mean much to anyone else. I saw his personality (cat-ality?) change over time from being a kitten to becoming an old man (cat).

In the last two years or so, his fur had become uneven and extra oily (his coat was never great, but it was much worse lately), and he was sneezing a lot (not too long ago he sneezed a big ol' string of snot that I've never seen come out of a cat, requiring a tissue, lol). Due to his age and the fact that he wasn't getting along with the other cats supposedly (although he never had), my mom had confined him to a back room of the house for privacy and to have his own litter box, and she didn't want him to go outside anymore. It was depressing to see him like that, but at least I made the effort to visit with him for a few minutes one last time a month or two ago. According to my mom, she found him alive but barely able to move, and, when she offered him water, he didn't drink it, which is usually a sign of imminent death. He died a few hours later.

Sorry for the long post.

RIP Kenoki
1999-2019

Here are a couple photos of him circa 2006 around age 7.
215984-0
215986-1
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 March 2019, 14:38:10 by Kavik »
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline Coreda

Re: RIP Kenoki
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 26 March 2019, 02:25:17 »
Awww. Rest in peace little one.

Offline Olitender

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 26 March 2019, 03:00:26 »
It hurts to lose a loved one, it's okay to grieve. Rest in peace Kenoki .
Going into heat.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 26 March 2019, 03:59:03 »
Sounds like a character alright and 20 years is a good age for a fighter.

RIP Kenoki.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 26 March 2019, 20:56:37 »
Sincerest condolences.

Sounds like Kenoki had a wonderful life.  Not much more anyone could ask for.

R.I.P.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline atarione

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 27 March 2019, 01:19:19 »
sorry... my mom got a very sweet grey tabby when i still lived at with them.. I loved that cat he was huge 22lbs~   when I would go to my parents house I'd say hi to the cat before my dad...  he passes away at about 23yrs old.. I was super bummed..

Offline Kavik

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 27 March 2019, 14:37:35 »
Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

sorry... my mom got a very sweet grey tabby when i still lived at with them.. I loved that cat he was huge 22lbs~   when I would go to my parents house I'd say hi to the cat before my dad...  he passes away at about 23yrs old.. I was super bummed..

Sorry to hear that. Twenty-three is an amazing age though. After that many years, a pet is part of the home and it's weird not seeing it there anymore.

I was really hoping Kenoki would make it a bit longer (I was rooting for at least 21). He didn't show many signs of bad health, just the old-timer fur and sneezing; he just sort of slowed down. I wonder if the boredom of staying inside by himself took a toll.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.