Author Topic: Typing skills  (Read 6782 times)

Offline tauburn

Typing skills
« on: Wed, 19 December 2012, 21:44:41 »
I wasn't quite sure where to post this, but i have a question. Would getting a blank keyset make me type better since i wont even have the option of looking at the keys? I need to improve my typing skills because to be honest i am complete garbage at typing. i only use 2 fingers on each hand. Also what methods did you guys use to learn to type fast and accurately using every finger?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Typing skills
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 19 December 2012, 22:50:18 »
Blank keycaps would force you to better learn where the keys are, if willpower alone will not prevent you from looking down at the keyboard all the time.

Or you could employ more zen-like methods, and type in a darkened room ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 19 December 2012, 22:53:42 »
I'd say it helps, when I got into mechanical boards I bought two and put blank keycaps on one.
I noticed that I wasn't looking at the board at all when typing with blanks whereas I caught myself stealing glances at the board more than I probably should when not using blanks. Might not make a monumental difference, but I prefer blanks.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 20 December 2012, 00:24:35 »
Ah.... if you're trying to Force yourself into learning where all the keys are.. Yes the blank caps will remove some of the temptation to look down.

However... it might be troublesome to touch type the center portions of the number row, because you won't get much practice.

For numbers, I recommend installing autohotkey and using the right hand keys starting from J as 1, K as 2, L as 3,   and you can figure out the rest, it's just like a number pad..

this allows me to touch type the number keys.

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 20 December 2012, 01:30:18 »
I wasn't quite sure where to post this, but i have a question. Would getting a blank keyset make me type better since i wont even have the option of looking at the keys? I need to improve my typing skills because to be honest i am complete garbage at typing. i only use 2 fingers on each hand. Also what methods did you guys use to learn to type fast and accurately using every finger?

It will help with the looking down part, but most likely won't help with the using 2 fingers part. For that, you'll have to train yourself by typing slower and forcing yourself to use the rest of your fingers. Really think about which finger you're using for which keys. I used to do the same on my right hand - I used only my index and middle finger. But I spent a few days at work really thinking about my typing and now I type properly with the whole hand.

My signature hasn't changed since 2012. I should really update it.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 20 December 2012, 01:33:55 »
Blank keys will replace self-discipline if you don't have any. Once you learn to properly touch-type, your speed and efficiency will go way up. Then you can do other things with the wandering eyes  ;)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 20 December 2012, 07:11:09 »
When my son was young, one of his teachers suggested covering his hands.

We got a large black handkerchief and he typed with his hands under it.

Cheap, easy, you can go back and forth a dozen times a day until it sinks in. Also, the peripheral keys sort of "peek out" from under, so you can still cheat on them, while learning the core.
They may have gagged Trump.
They didn’t gag me.
They can’t gag me.
I have no gag reflex.
I am ungaggable.
I have trained my whole life for this.
– Lauren Boebert 2024-05-16

Offline Burz

• maybe get a blister on yo' little finger...
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 20 December 2012, 09:54:27 »
"For this assignment you will need blank keycaps, a darkened room, and a nun standing over you with a yardstick..."

It pays to have the complete learning experience.
Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.

Offline Burz

• maybe get a blister on yo' little finger...
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 20 December 2012, 09:57:23 »
When my son was young, one of his teachers suggested covering his hands.

We got a large black handkerchief and he typed with his hands under it.

Cheap, easy, you can go back and forth a dozen times a day until it sinks in. Also, the peripheral keys sort of "peek out" from under, so you can still cheat on them, while learning the core.
Or one can learn a non-Qwerty layout on a Qwerty keyboard which will have the same effect and make typing easier overall.
Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.

Offline Playtrumpet

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 10:22:07 »
Or one can learn a non-Qwerty layout on a Qwerty keyboard which will have the same effect and make typing easier overall.

This. When I used QWERTY I was a fast typist, but still occasionally looked at my keys. Then I changed layouts without changing my keycaps. Can't look at the wrong keys and expect help. For numbers, I reverted to blank keycaps and spent the time to really decide which fingers would hit which numbers. For the symbols on the numbers? Guess.
Dvorak

Offline swagpiratex

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 11:04:34 »
Spending money on equipment won't make you better at typing. Spend more time on a typing program as opposed to throwing money at your keyboard for the best results.

I learned on a Mavis Beacon typing program in middle school. I used to be a fast typer, using most of my fingers, but kept looking at my hands. After giving in and actually typing on the program I went from 30 WPM to about 70-80 WPM. Now that I play Typeracer and other typing programs, I've taken that 80 and average around 110 WPM now.
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 December 2012, 11:45:23 by swagpiratex »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 11:14:10 »
Typing on a better keyboard is MOAR FUN.

Offline tauburn

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 21:59:53 »
Spending money on equipment won't make you better at typing. Spend more time on a typing program as opposed to throwing money at your keyboard for the best results.

I learned on a Mavis Beacon typing program in middle school. I used to be a fast typer, using most of my fingers, but kept looking at my hands. After giving in and actually typing on the program I went from 30 WPM to about 70-80 WPM. Now that I play Typeracer and other typing programs, I've taken that 80 and average around 110 WPM now.

mavis beacon. ok thats the post i was looking for. thanks

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 23 December 2012, 15:17:56 »
Typing on a better keyboard is MOAR FUN.

Best advice. Get a great keyboard with blank caps, then force  yourself to use it. It might suck for a bit, but eventually muscle memory will sink in and you'll be flying.

Offline chewyfruitloop

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 28 December 2012, 03:43:53 »
"For this assignment you will need blank keycaps, a darkened room, and a nun standing over you with a yardstick..."

It pays to have the complete learning experience.

....think the OP was asking about learning to touch type, not kinky adventure recommendations  :))

Try forcing yourself to start using your other fingers a bit when your not actively trying to train yourself.  Only hit the space with your thumbs.  Only hit return with your little finger.  Start using 2 fingers to hunt and peck then work your way up.
Once you've worked out how to use your entire set of digits, then work out how to not look at them (I can only touch type when I'm not thinking about it to hard)

glhf
das blue, mac chicklet, old mac clear hair catcher

Offline precarious

• LOOK MOM, I'M A DRAGONZORD! DOOOO DODOODODODOODOO
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 28 December 2012, 03:55:42 »
Having legends on the keycaps isn't really a big deal, it's about forcing yourself to use more than two fingers.  This will be incredibly frustrating at first, but it typically doesn't last for long.

http://data.typeracer.com/pit/profile?user=precariousgray

I had a splint on my left index finger for a few weeks (thanks, burgeoning arthritis!) and this was really annoying for a while.  After a week or so I was able to type without that finger at 80-90% of my normal speed.  Bad habits can be hard to break, but fortunately this one is relatively easy.

This is not an absolute, since there's always that element of improvisation depending on where my fingers happen to be, but those are mostly the fingers I use to strike certain keys.

Start slow.  It may help you to simply take a few sentences or a list of words and practice them over and over, always using this same set of practice material, that way you can tell how quickly you're improving.

In the end, just accept that you're going to have to put forth a little effort, but you will definitely be able to speed up over time; it's not impossible like some things in life.  Good luck!
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 December 2012, 03:57:51 by precarious »

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 29 December 2012, 15:47:18 »
I think it entirely depends on your typing skill and technique.  If you are already a very good touch typer I do not believe you will benefit too much from it. 

I love otaku mainly for how good keyboards look without legends.  Unfortunately my typing technique does not work very well with otaku.  I did take typing in school but I had already developed a proficient typing ability before taking any lessons so I was able to pass the tests without employing any of the techniques I was taught. 

Most of the time I only use my index finger and my middle finger when I am typing.  If I do use the ring finger it is only on the left hand (oddly enough my non-dominant hand).  Very rarely I will do something weird like use thumb for 'b' or 'n'. 

The finger at which I use to press the key seems to be entirely dependant on where my hands are at any given time.  I also assume that I have learned how to type a word, or similar words, and mimic that patter with my fingers rather than pay attention to where my hands are and what keys each finger is pressing. 

Also, for some reason I can remember where the volume control, print screen, home, end, etc. is on my new poker but cannot for the life of my memorize what the alt characters are on the number row (!@#$% etc.)

edit: I'm also not some insane typist which might be explained by the above.  On a test I will average between 90 and 120.  If I am typing something right out of my head I feel like I am closer to 120.  People with good typing skills on here are like 140+ and would squash me in competition.
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 December 2012, 15:49:45 by 1391401 »
People I've given money to from this webform who never respond to me and have not shipped me anything: ctrlalt.io 1 2, Team Readline Reputable alternatives to GH group buys: http://pimpmykeyboard.com, https://www.massdrop.com,

Offline precarious

• LOOK MOM, I'M A DRAGONZORD! DOOOO DODOODODODOODOO
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 29 December 2012, 16:11:54 »
I also assume that I have learned how to type a word, or similar words, and mimic that patter with my fingers rather than pay attention to where my hands are and what keys each finger is pressing. 

This is 100% true.  One kind of disappointing thing about this is that sometimes I will type a word which has a similar hand movement associated with it, but obviously isn't the word I wanted to type.  Or alternatively, I'll sometimes skip over a word completely since my aging hands aren't keeping pace with my still-functioning brain.

This is probably most a product of typing in a conversational capacity though, as I'm sure many of you can relate to having grown up glued to a computer screen. :)

*mostly, see what I mean!

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 29 December 2012, 16:23:48 »
For instance, I never knew where any of the special symbols and stuff were by heart before I was using blank keys. I now know how to touch type 100% of the time, and I would still be looking down at my board occasionally had I not got that Das Keyboard a few years ago. That doesn't mean it makes you a faster learner or anything but call it learning out of necessity ;) or motivation lol.
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 30 December 2012, 00:11:43 »
I feel odd using a tenkey now, after a year and a half of tenkeyless boards.

Offline Rhinofeed

• Formerly nathaniel_h
    • Rhinofeed
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 14:57:16 »

Thanks for letting me know about Typeracer. What is realized after doing many tests with 10-fast-fingers is they aren't the most accurate. With 10-fast-fingers I avg around 117, but with Typeracer I'm doing to 97 because of the words' difficulty, punctuation, and capitalization. If I can get up to 117 again WITH Typeracer, it's more true of a score. I need to get past 117 though, I'd like to average 120+.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 18:46:05 »
Doesn't help when you are constantly switching between keyboards with different layouts, trust me  ;)

Offline Rapid

• Moar pewpew
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 11:38:21 »

edit: I'm also not some insane typist which might be explained by the above.  On a test I will average between 90 and 120.  If I am typing something right out of my head I feel like I am closer to 120.  People with good typing skills on here are like 140+ and would squash me in competition.

90 WPM I would still believe, but 100-140+?!!? That's just unreal! I consider myself to be a pretty good typist at 70-80 wpm.
Razer 'White'widow [Blue MX Switch]
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=39342.0