Author Topic: I want a programmable numpad. What are my options?  (Read 5665 times)

Offline Defect

• I collect keyboards and keyboard accessories
I want a programmable numpad. What are my options?
« on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 20:03:45 »
I want a programmable numpad.  I like 60% boards but for work I need arrow keys and pgup/pgdown/end/home.  Hoping to get a programmable pad so I can use it with a 60%.

Ideally one that has extra 4 keys on top (usually esc/tab/etc).

Prefer to have LED if possible, since I recently picked up some cool caps.

What are my options?

Not pictured: KeyCool 84 [MX Red] | Focus 2001 [Complicated White Alps]
Endgame Board | Defect's Watermelon Board Build Doc

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
Re: I want a programmable numpad. What are my options?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 20:08:20 »
Karland is selling some g80-3700 number pads from Cherry that are fully programmable, they have great caps too. Hope those helps!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62352.0
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline Defect

• I collect keyboards and keyboard accessories
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 20:29:30 »
Karland is selling some g80-3700 number pads from Cherry that are fully programmable, they have great caps too. Hope those helps!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62352.0

Thanks, was definitely considering that. 

I normally don't like backlit boards but kind of want a backlit numpad...seems like a good place to put funny caps.

Not pictured: KeyCool 84 [MX Red] | Focus 2001 [Complicated White Alps]
Endgame Board | Defect's Watermelon Board Build Doc

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 20:55:02 »
The abostudio gh10 based ones look promising, but I'm not sure on the ease with which you can program them

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 21:01:19 »
The abostudio gh10 based ones look promising, but I'm not sure on the ease with which you can program them
They also have issues with keycaps rubbing the case.

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 21:39:50 »
So I read

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 05 October 2014, 03:16:32 »
I want a programmable numpad.  I like 60% boards but for work I need arrow keys and pgup/pgdown/end/home.  Hoping to get a programmable pad so I can use it with a 60%.

What are my options?

My opinion?

Wait for GH36 to be finalized. It'll make a fantastic numpad with extras. Unlike the Cherry corp. PS2 numpads, you won't need winxp to run the software. And in any case hardly anyone makes backlit numpads.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 05 October 2014, 10:05:00 »

What are my options?

My opinion?

Wait for GH36 to be finalized. It'll make a fantastic numpad with extras. Unlike the Cherry corp. PS2 numpads, you won't need winxp to run the software. And in any case hardly anyone makes backlit numpads.
You don't have to have win xp to program the 3700 you plug in a ps2 board into it and program it manually.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 05 October 2014, 10:25:45 »

What are my options?

My opinion?

You don't have to have win xp to program the 3700 you plug in a ps2 board into it and program it manually.

I have both a 3700 and a GH36 sitting on my desktop ATM.  The 3700 is easier to program in real time.  However, there are apparently four flavors of 3700 shipped over time, and not all are the same.  Mine, for example, forgets its keymap if unused for a couple of weeks, even when plugged in and powered.

The GH36 is vastly more useful, with a 6x6 matrix that can be cut down to smaller sizes AND multiple layers available.  I have mine programmed with the main layer for gaming, and a second layer for CAD and editing.  The Prototype PCB only has WASD and indicator LED wiring, but starting with the Beta it will have full backlighting.

GH36 Thread

- Ron | samwisekoi
Sig auto-typed by my GH36 LH keypad.

I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 05 October 2014, 11:47:58 »

What are my options?

My opinion?

I have both a 3700 and a GH36 sitting on my desktop ATM.  The 3700 is easier to program in real time.  However, there are apparently four flavors of 3700 shipped over time, and not all are the same.  Mine, for example, forgets its keymap if unused for a couple of weeks, even when plugged in and powered.

The GH36 is vastly more useful, with a 6x6 matrix that can be cut down to smaller sizes AND multiple layers available.  I have mine programmed with the main layer for gaming, and a second layer for CAD and editing.  The Prototype PCB only has WASD and indicator LED wiring, but starting with the Beta it will have full backlighting.

GH36 Thread

- Ron | samwisekoi
Sig auto-typed by my GH36 LH keypad.

Ron, I am salivating at the GH36. That said, until I can get Dorkvader to incorporate some extra thumb keys for me I will probably stay with my Tipro. Which I am mostly using... 72 keys in two 6x6 arrays. (The rest of the keys are used, but not much and can be replaced with layer programming if I were so inclined).
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.