Author Topic: So what's the cheapest wireless mech out there?  (Read 2282 times)

Offline Row009

So what's the cheapest wireless mech out there?
« on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 10:48:22 »
Hi,

I use a CM Storm QuickFire Ultimate mostly (I have a few other boards that I swap from time to time) it is obviously wired and situated on my desk.
I would like to have an extra wireless keyboard for when I lean back in my chair and don't want to stretch my lazy a**...
So I'm basically looking for the cheapest piece out there - simple as that. Any recommendations?

Offline Krakob

• Krakblog
Re: So what's the cheapest wireless mech out there?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 07:31:55 »
Anne Pro is pretty nice and relatively cheap. Bluetooth is pretty painful to deal with though.
Ducky Shine 2 (MX Blue, white backlight) • Obins Anne Pro (Gateron Brown) • Model M • XD60

Offline Row009

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 07:59:31 »
Anne Pro is pretty nice and relatively cheap. Bluetooth is pretty painful to deal with though.

Yeah it seems pretty nice. Gateron and RGB for 70$ (found it on Banggood, including discount) is really cheap in my opinion, which is great for my intended purpose.
Can you elaborate on the Bluetooth issues?

Offline Krakob

• Krakblog
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 08:02:35 »
Well, bluetooth is in general a pretty dated protocol. It's flimsy to set up, troubleshooting a connection is an absolute headache, support varies between machines and dongles, and so on. You can absolutely get it working, but I'd rather just use a wire, even for a laptop. Just get a relatively short, coiled one ;)
Ducky Shine 2 (MX Blue, white backlight) • Obins Anne Pro (Gateron Brown) • Model M • XD60

Offline Row009

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 09:41:27 »
Well, bluetooth is in general a pretty dated protocol. It's flimsy to set up, troubleshooting a connection is an absolute headache, support varies between machines and dongles, and so on. You can absolutely get it working, but I'd rather just use a wire, even for a laptop. Just get a relatively short, coiled one ;)

OK, I'll look further into it. Thanks.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 12:33:20 »

What's the response time like with bluetooth? I heard it can be a bit sluggish at times.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 13:32:01 »
they sell these wireless usb peripheral adapters i believe.   they probably won't have enough juice to power a backlit keyboard, or something with a larger microcontroller,    But you can hookup another 5v battery in parallel to power the board.

Offline Krakob

• Krakblog
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 14:06:45 »

What's the response time like with bluetooth? I heard it can be a bit sluggish at times.
Yeah, it's pretty bad. I don't know any numbers but it's notable. Definitely not fit for gaming.

Offline pomk

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 18:02:27 »

Yeah, it's pretty bad. I don't know any numbers but it's notable. Definitely not fit for gaming.
The delay imposed by bluetooth 4.x is minimal, only about 1-3 ms more than with a USB keyboard. The limiting factor being the maximum polling rate of 100 Hz with the default HID driver. Pre-bluetooth 4 was pretty horrible however.

Offline Krakob

• Krakblog
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 18:16:31 »

The delay imposed by bluetooth 4.x is minimal, only about 1-3 ms more than with a USB keyboard. The limiting factor being the maximum polling rate of 100 Hz with the default HID driver. Pre-bluetooth 4 was pretty horrible however.
Ahh, that is good to know! I haven't used BT 4 since I'm sticking to Windows 7.

Offline pomk

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 18:30:14 »

Haha, and you talk about dated protocols while using an operating system from 2009.  ;)
The stack provided with windows is in such a good state now that the problems with manufacturer specific stacks and flimsy compatibility are mostly in the past. I have not had any problems with getting any bt4 devices to work together.

Offline Krakob

• Krakblog
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 18:32:53 »

Haha, and you talk about dated protocols while using an operating system from 2009.  ;)
The stack provided with windows is in such a good state now that the problems with manufacturer specific stacks and flimsy compatibility are mostly in the past. I have not had any problems with getting any bt4 devices to work together.
I'm not ever touching windows 10 and 8 is pretty much the same as 7 as I understand it, especially with Microsoft trying to phase out both of them. Jumping on the Linux train the moment I can ;)