Author Topic: Anyone else feel that shined pbt's feel worse than shined abs?  (Read 2328 times)

Offline asgeirtj

Just wondering if anyone else shared this opinion. PBT is often lauded for not shining, what not everyone knows is that it does shine eventually, it just takes longer, and not even very long I think. If we take the kings of both type of caps (imo) OG dyesubs and GMK, the shined dyesubs feel worse than the shined GMK. The PBT's feel sandpapery and slightly oily, while the GMK feel more smooth, albeit more oily, of two bad choices I'd prefer the GMK ones. This would, counter intuitively mean that the much cheaper caps (GMK) would be better in the long run (that is, if you are not planning on replacing your caps every time they get shined). In my experience, NIB OG dyesubs get shined after about a year of heavy use, not very much better than ABS considering the hype and price of PBT imo, (ABS will begin to shine after maybe 2-3 months of heavy use in my experience (I know all this is anecdotal and shine happens not as fast for everyone, but it seems to happen fast for me, maybe I have oily fingers). While I agree that pbt can feel better unshined, I think it feels worse shined compared to shined ABS. Is there anyone who has had a similar experience ?
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Re: Anyone else feel that shined pbt's feel worse than shined abs?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 12:24:47 »
In your example, the texture of PBT keycaps lasts about four times longer. It should be compared to the lifespan of keycaps in active use, with considerations for "repair" (e.g., sandblasting).

The texture longevity is generally a matter of chemical resistance—but also exposure to chemicals. In other words, wearing out keycaps because of aggressive sweat may very well be a symptom of other problems, e.g., with diet.

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 12:39:04 »
does anyone repair their keycaps with sandblasting?
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 12:43:15 »
I did manually sand keycaps on one of my old keyboards.

But, more on topic… Keycap sand blasting by Wodan

Offline badchad

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 22:02:20 »
Damn i didnt even know PBT developed shine. Thats a little depressing but makes me less upset about GMK sets shining

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BAD

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 00:39:57 »
I shine abs pretty quickly but haven't shined up any pbt yet, This makes me worry about my 980c caps :x

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 22:01:45 »
The shine on my SSK space bar is noticable if I hold it up to the light.

I hadn't noticed before!

It does kind of bother me as I'd always thought PBT would take decades to shine under normal use.

Although this keyboard is decades old - born Apr-1994 - it doesn't look like it's had much use at all.

None of the other keys are shiny, so yes, it does bother me a little.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline antquinonez

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 21 July 2017, 14:19:36 »
The shine on my SSK space bar is noticable if I hold it up to the light.

I hadn't noticed before!

It does kind of bother me as I'd always thought PBT would take decades to shine under normal use.

Although this keyboard is decades old - born Apr-1994 - it doesn't look like it's had much use at all.

None of the other keys are shiny, so yes, it does bother me a little.

Oh noes! Time for some new caps!

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 21 July 2017, 16:42:03 »
I love my worn OG dyesubs, prefer them slightly to my new enjoyPBT
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150