Author Topic: Audio setups  (Read 5217 times)

Offline Tactile

Audio setups
« on: Wed, 02 August 2017, 12:42:31 »
I have an audio signal from the computer running to a speaker amp (RCA plugs) and I want to add a headphone amp. I can add a Schiit Magni 2 Uber, plug the RCA plugs from the computer into the Magni, then cable from the Magni to the speaker amp. That's easy (but I still have to pay extra for the Uber version). But not everyone uses a Schiit Magni 2 Uber, and most headphone amps don't pass the audio signal through. So how do most people feed the audio signal to both the headphone amp and the speaker amp without swapping cables each time to switch?
REΛLFORCE

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
Re: Audio setups
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 02 August 2017, 12:49:05 »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 02 August 2017, 13:04:33 »
http://www.amazon.com/Sescom-SES-AUDIO-AB-Stereo-MP3-Switch/dp/B008BMLXAU

Something like this should work

how does this work.

would you play an analogue test tone, and then make sure the amperage is the same on both outputs?

Offline smithyithy

• a l p s
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 07:03:12 »
Curious about this too! I have a pair of Beyers running off my motherboard's audio, but currently just use my monitor's speakers (which aren't terrible, truth be told)

But I want to add a pair of either passive or active studio monitors and also get some proper power to my headphones as they're pretty restricted by the MoBo..

I did look at the 'Schiit Stack' Magni / Modi combo.... But is it not possible to just use a single, dedicated desktop amp, that receives an audio signal from the PC and sends it out to either the headphones or the speakers?

I think it's simplest to just have a keyboard shortcut to change the audio output, so you don't have to mess around swapping cables or reaching for the amp to make changes...
KBD75; Alps64 trio; some other stuff

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 08:23:44 »
Curious about this too! I have a pair of Beyers running off my motherboard's audio, but currently just use my monitor's speakers (which aren't terrible, truth be told)

But I want to add a pair of either passive or active studio monitors and also get some proper power to my headphones as they're pretty restricted by the MoBo..

I did look at the 'Schiit Stack' Magni / Modi combo.... But is it not possible to just use a single, dedicated desktop amp, that receives an audio signal from the PC and sends it out to either the headphones or the speakers?

I think it's simplest to just have a keyboard shortcut to change the audio output, so you don't have to mess around swapping cables or reaching for the amp to make changes...

Look for 2 things.

either galvanically isolated USB,     or Optical/toslink

Thats first most important feature coming from "computer" audio

Second,   there is no second,  ALL DACs made in modern times are sonically Transparent , that 0.0003% harmonic distortion stuff,  none of that matters, you won't hear the difference.  Don't be fooled by  Raz3r marketing.. it's like the RGB of the sound world.

ANY big brand Receiver (buy used) will sound good enough..

Buy at least a 10 inch subwoofer if you want deeper base.

Otherwise  $100 bookshelf speaker pairs are more than enough for general stereo

Offline smithyithy

• a l p s
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 09:27:34 »

Look for 2 things.

either galvanically isolated USB,     or Optical/toslink

Thats first most important feature coming from "computer" audio

Second,   there is no second,  ALL DACs made in modern times are sonically Transparent , that 0.0003% harmonic distortion stuff,  none of that matters, you won't hear the difference.  Don't be fooled by  Raz3r marketing.. it's like the RGB of the sound world.

ANY big brand Receiver (buy used) will sound good enough..

Buy at least a 10 inch subwoofer if you want deeper base.

Otherwise  $100 bookshelf speaker pairs are more than enough for general stereo

Cheers, yeah I wouldn't even look at any Razer or equivalent gamer branded stuff, I'm not a fan..

My motherboard has Optical so yeah I'll look for that. I need to shop around and see what works out the best value..

I've had powered 2.1 systems in the past, usually just cheap Creative or Logitech sets, which went reasonably loud but didn't sound too good.

It's finding the right combination of parts that's tricky for me.. Should I look for an all-in-one amp / receiver to power both my headphones and a 2.0 or 2.1 passive speaker setup... OR a DAC / headphone amp combo with a powered speaker system..

There's an M-Audio 2.1 system on Amazon for about £149 that looks decent...
KBD75; Alps64 trio; some other stuff

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 09:47:51 »

There's an M-Audio 2.1 system on Amazon for about £149 that looks decent...

M-audio isn't bad,   but the budget end are really more of a convenience product than hi-fi..

similar to logitech ,  although obvious m-audio speakers are usually PHYSICALLY much bigger, and therefore have much bigger sound.

I've seen klipsch RB-10 on sale recently for $70 at newegg.com

and there's also pioneer bs 22 for ~$50 sometimes..

Pair it with ANY $100 stereo receiver (used or new)  and it's going to blow away most 2.1 convenience products.

Optical input is really important because the computer is very noise polluted. 

galvanic isolated usb is the same as optical,  because it uses an optical coupler chip.

Offline Tactile

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 11:45:47 »
An update for our viewers tuning late:

I did buy a Schiit Magni 2 Uber. But, I also screwed up. I ordered a pile of stuff at once instead of trying one thing and then moving on to the next thing. Well, as it turns out, the powered monitors I ordered have a headphone amp built in and the spot I ended up putting them in makes the volume control and headphone jack very convenient to use - not what I was expecting. So... the DAC, powered speakers and headphones are all working great and the brand new headphone amplifier is in the box on the shelf.

Ahh well, at least I don't have the ex-wives here to complain...
REΛLFORCE

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 11:47:24 »
An update for our viewers tuning late:

I did buy a Schiit Magni 2 Uber. But, I also screwed up. I ordered a pile of stuff at once instead of trying one thing and then moving on to the next thing. Well, as it turns out, the powered monitors I ordered have a headphone amp built in and the spot I ended up putting them in makes the volume control and headphone jack very convenient to use - not what I was expecting. So... the DAC, powered speakers and headphones are all working great and the brand new headphone amplifier is in the box on the shelf.

Ahh well, at least I don't have the ex-wives here to complain...

wow tactile..

how many ex-wives do you have..

Offline Tactile

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 12:07:38 »
wow tactile..

The coven just keeps growing.
REΛLFORCE

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 12:24:09 »
wow tactile..

The coven just keeps growing.

there are witches involved now ?

what dating site is that.. do you have a promo code ?