Author Topic: Broken USB connector for Older CM QFR  (Read 1042 times)

Offline tauburn

Broken USB connector for Older CM QFR
« on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 00:34:55 »
So my quickfire rapid that i have had for many years finally started acting up. Im guessing it is from pressure put on the cable while connected. Basically, the usb cable has to be wiggled around for it to work properly. At the moment the only way i can get the keyboard to work consistently is the have the top of the case off and the usb connector pcb hanging out of the case like in my pic below. I tried reflowing the connections on the board with my iron and in the oven with no change. Basically the keyboard works unless i move it on my desk at all then it requires a minute or two of wiggling it just the right way to get it to reconnect. Does anyone have any clue if it's possible to just get another one of these board? This is the old CM storm keyboard that is discontinued that only had the branding on the back of the keyboard. I have a new keyboard coming in the mail eventually, but it would be great if i could also salvage this one.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Broken USB connector for Older CM QFR
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 01:41:35 »
i would take the port off,  follow the traces and solder to them directly, then epoxy the cable

You've probably cracked or broken the traces connecting the usbport on the daughter board side by wiggling it so much..