Author Topic: Ergodox - Question  (Read 2551 times)

Offline mushmouth

• mushmouth (Patrick Lonergan) Personal Site
Ergodox - Question
« on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 10:22:54 »
I've always been recommended the ergodox but I want to know how it feels?. Is it worth the money etc.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Ergodox - Question
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 10:31:45 »
It's better than a traditional keyboard in every way.

However, if you don't have a workload that actually requires consistently high levels of typing,  then traditional keyboard will work just fine.

The main benefit is wrist alignment,  flat keyboards are extremely bad for your wrist because it is unnatural to rotate the wrist to meet flush with the keyboard.

The keyboard should instead meet flush with the WRIST , while the wrist is in neutral position.   (nearly vertical,  like during a handshake)

This is known as tenting,   it can't be done on regular one piece flat keyboards..

Offline mushmouth

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 10:39:16 »
It's better than a traditional keyboard in every way.

However, if you don't have a workload that actually requires consistently high levels of typing,  then traditional keyboard will work just fine.

The main benefit is wrist alignment,  flat keyboards are extremely bad for your wrist because it is unnatural to rotate the wrist to meet flush with the keyboard.

The keyboard should instead meet flush with the WRIST , while the wrist is in neutral position.   (nearly vertical,  like during a handshake)

This is known as tenting,   it can't be done on regular one piece flat keyboards..

My only worries is how deep is the learning curve to get used to the ergodox I believe I understand the argument for it (now).

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 11:56:01 »
The learning curve will mostly be dependent on your general typing proficiency.

I was at 120wpm on the vanilla keyboard before I got the Ergodox.

For the first few days i was topping out at 110wpm, because i decided to switch a bunch of letter placements for better orientation on the column layout.

After 2 weeks I was back at 120..

I would say,  if you're at 100+,  there's very little transition work.. 

If you're at 60 to 90,  it will feel a bit more strange..

-- Typing mastery is more than just layout,  it's also adaptability,  users at 100+ are more adept at typing,  but also at assimilation of new motions.  This is because when you do something repetitive, your brain automatically dedicates more brain area for processing of that task.

And after a year or so, I've reached my current top average speed 135wpm,  145wpm Lucky words speed.

I have not gotten faster after that year..  haven't spent much time trying, but i don't know if i have the potential..

Offline FloFoer94

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 12:08:11 »
If possible you could go to a keyboard meetup and try one there (allthough for only a short time) to get a general feeling if you could like it.
I'm hoping myself that someone brings one to Mechanicon 2017 (Keyboard meetup in Germany) in october.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 12:38:32 »
If possible you could go to a keyboard meetup and try one there (allthough for only a short time) to get a general feeling if you could like it.
I'm hoping myself that someone brings one to Mechanicon 2017 (Keyboard meetup in Germany) in october.

Please take fotos of the german females @ the meetup, and post on gekhak

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 12:58:54 »
My only worries is how deep is the learning curve to get used to the ergodox I believe I understand the argument for it (now).
The closer your typing style is to "touch typing" according to the classic method, the easier it will be to adjust.
If you are used to typing with only your index finger or two fingers then you could have more trouble.

However, I noticed with myself that practicing on a columnar keyboard only for a couple of weeks taught me to type better also on row-oriented keyboards.

Offline Gorris

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 13 August 2017, 05:48:18 »
Not to jack the thread but does anyone know where to source the parts for these? Mass drop isn't currently running a drop on them.

Offline FloFoer94

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 13 August 2017, 06:25:26 »
Not to jack the thread but does anyone know where to source the parts for these? Mass drop isn't currently running a drop on them.

For example:
US, fully assembled: https://ergodox-ez.com/
EU, parts or kit or fully assembled: http://falbatech.pl

Offline Gorris

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 13 August 2017, 08:15:40 »
For example:
US, fully assembled: https://ergodox-ez.com/
EU, parts or kit or fully assembled: http://falbatech.pl

Thanks for the links.

Offline mushmouth

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 13 August 2017, 20:43:21 »
I wish I lived in Germany or Europe. I would go to the meet up but sadly I live in Canada.

Offline FloFoer94

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 14 August 2017, 03:25:18 »
I wish I lived in Germany or Europe. I would go to the meet up but sadly I live in Canada.

I bet Canada (or the US) have way more meetups than we do here ;D
Your continent seems generally better for being a keyboard enthusiast... more fellow enthusiasts, more meetups, more online shops & artisans in the same country (=> less shipping costs & time, no import tax, same timezone => good for artisan sales)., keycaps for your local standard layout ANSI-US easier and comparably cheaper to get than ISO-DE etc. etc. ..

I would just keep my eyes open here on GH and on reddit for a meetup, there is definitely one you could attend to sometime.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 14 August 2017, 03:41:40 »

I bet Canada (or the US) have way more meetups than we do here ;D
Your continent seems generally better for being a keyboard enthusiast... more fellow enthusiasts, more meetups, more online shops & artisans in the same country (=> less shipping costs & time, no import tax, same timezone => good for artisan sales)., keycaps for your local standard layout ANSI-US easier and comparably cheaper to get than ISO-DE etc. etc. ..

I would just keep my eyes open here on GH and on reddit for a meetup, there is definitely one you could attend to sometime.

But it's urope,  so ya'll got the skinny females.. !!