Author Topic: landing pads (or o-rings) for topre?  (Read 12552 times)

Offline iri

landing pads (or o-rings) for topre?
« on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 08:32:16 »
many times i heard about how nice and soft is landing a key on a topre board. it seems to be not true. on a new realforce, i bottom out all the time and it hurts my finger joints. i'm looking for some solution to soften landing. are there any pads available? or a guide on how to make such myself?
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 February 2013, 10:07:18 by iri »
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: landing pads for topre?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 08:34:49 »
unpossible.. what would they "land on" there's no surface for what you're asking.

You can do orings for similar dampening like MX, but i'm not so sure on the "travel" reduction.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 08:49:04 »
That sucks dude. Sounds like you crank on the keys pretty hard.

Offline iri

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 08:54:18 »
i don't.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 08:57:03 »
If your fingers are hurting, then you probably just need to build up a little more strength in your fingers by using the board for more than a week.

What weight is the board, 45g?

Offline iri

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 09:02:40 »
If your fingers are hurting, then you probably just need to build up a little more strength in your fingers by using the board for more than a week.

i said finger joints. my fingers are pretty strong for, say, buckling springs.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 09:08:00 »
I don't know what's going on then, because I type on my Topres for upwards of 14-16 hours a day, and I've never had a single problem with joint pain.

Whereas 2 hours on Cherry Browns would kick it off.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 09:09:24 »

i said finger joints. my fingers are pretty strong for, say, buckling springs.

Don't know what to tell you, then. Maybe it's not for you. I have used a buckling spring for a while, and I felt the 55g RF was much heavier on the fingers and I haven't had any joint pain.
Do you have arthritis at all?

Offline iri

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 09:11:51 »
Do you have arthritis at all?
maybe i do. it was never an issue because i don't bottom out on my mechanical boards.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline iri

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 11:02:42 »
unpossible.. what would they "land on" there's no surface for what you're asking.
there are two surfaces, they touch each other when bottoming out, this is why i experience pain.
i found out that standard o-rings with 5mm inner diameter fit topre keys. need to find softer ones or make them myself... what material did you use to make your pads? i remember it was some kind of soft rubber or something

-Ray Bradbury

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
Re: landing pads (or o-rings) for topre?
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 11:16:37 »
there are two surfaces, they touch each other when bottoming out, this is why i experience pain.
i found out that standard o-rings with 5mm inner diameter fit topre keys. need to find softer ones or make them myself... what material did you use to make your pads? i remember it was some kind of soft rubber or something

silicone rubber domes from a regular dome board. I cut a hole in the little domes.

I don't think these will fit the topre stem, they'd be stretched to breaking on topre..

I think you may be able to go with the silicone dental bands on ebay..

Offline iri

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 11:53:23 »

silicone rubber domes from a regular dome board. I cut a hole in the little domes.

I don't think these will fit the topre stem, they'd be stretched to breaking on topre..

I think you may be able to go with the silicone dental bands on ebay..
i think i'll put the dampener on the back side of the keycap.

now i'm typing on my laptop's ****ty scissor keyboard and don't feel any pain. wtf?

-Ray Bradbury

Offline aviphysics

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 11:59:57 »
Sounds like your mussel memory tells you to hit them as hard as you would you old keyboard but the keyboard is softer and has less audio and tactile feedback, so you bottom out hard against the bottom.

You probably have different mussel memory for the laptop keyboard.

Maybe the Topre is just not for you or you need to re-calibrate how hard your fingers hit the keys.
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 February 2013, 12:02:09 by aviphysics »

Offline iri

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 12:05:50 »
my muscle memory is mainly trained for not bottoming out on reds. i don't hit keys hard.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 14:34:21 »
I investigated Topres a while back and I had to eventually reach the conclusion that Cherry Reds with soft padding is the nicest (and easiest) thing for the painful joints and nerves.

Whatever u decide I hope you work something out before too long.  Don't torture yourself for a whole year just hoping the pain will go away.  You could get lucky and get away with it... or u could get unlucky and have your whole life ruined with terrible hand pain.   If you irritate your nerves enough you will eventually cause yourself hand pain no matter what you type on.  And that would just suck, when its an avoidable thing.

If you have developed arthritis then you need to take it seriously and not make it worse.

Remember, u may have something much worse than arthritis.  So you should be careful and not take to many chances.  Especially if you are in your late 30's or above.  Then u r not a kid anymore and your body can't take the abuse it used to be able to.

Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 15:20:12 »
You might try the all 45g Topre. Or see if you can land a 30g uniform.

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 16:30:35 »
I think the upward movement that's causing you pain (you know, after the key actuates, you have to lift your finger up  for the next stroke)

The solution? Lower resistance IMO, like daerid said.
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 16:50:40 »
I was actually suggesting that because with Topres it's virtually impossible to not bottom out unless you're on a super light board.

I was having pain in my upper forearms from having to use those muscles to actually lift the finger off the key, i.e.: the upward motion. What solved that for me was moving from the 45g to the 55g.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 16:56:51 »
I was actually suggesting that because with Topres it's virtually impossible to not bottom out unless you're on a super light board.

I was having pain in my upper forearms from having to use those muscles to actually lift the finger off the key, i.e.: the upward motion. What solved that for me was moving from the 45g to the 55g.

Agreed on the 55g move. It's definitely snappier on the upstroke.

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 16:57:34 »
I've only experience 55g Topres so... Maybe you're right. It does seem odd that typing on the Realforce causes pain for someone. I would blame arthritis and the fact that Topre truly does  require a lot of movement, but you have already expressed your hatred for scissor switches which would be the opposite.  :-\

Edit;
Wait you said you didn't experience pain when typing on scissor switches! This explains a lot!
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 February 2013, 17:00:12 by Flip »

Offline iri

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 23:16:20 »
I investigated Topres a while back and I had to eventually reach the conclusion that Cherry Reds with soft padding is the nicest (and easiest) thing for the painful joints and nerves.
maybe also clears. it's very difficult to hit bottom on them.

You might try the all 45g Topre. Or see if you can land a 30g uniform.
it is the all 45g.

I think the upward movement that's causing you pain (you know, after the key actuates, you have to lift your finger up  for the next stroke)
no, it's hitting the bottom that causes pain (see what daerid said about bottoming out below your post).

Edit;
Wait you said you didn't experience pain when typing on scissor switches! This explains a lot!
explains what? on my laptop i type much less and much slower.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 23:35:17 »

What????????

you're doing it super wrong... practice "relaxing" your hands... and do it slowly until you can get up to speed without tension in your forearm..

this is also a common problem with beginner piano kids... they tense their forearm and wrist...

Find the point where depressing the keys take "minimal effort."

You need enough forward momentum to Press the keys, and that's it.

you shouldn't have a jerking "lift" motion after each keystroke..

Offline Polymer

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 00:48:34 »
You can't keep from bottoming Topres..maybe the really light ones you can..but otherwise there is just no way..They're not made to...the key collapses are too quickly and easily and the amount of force needed is way too much to keep from hitting bottom consistently.

I haven't tried the 35g Topres..I'd imagine those are easier...but especially with something like 55g...there is basically no way...plus there is nothing gained in trying to do it...they bottom out solidly but without the harsh vibrations...

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 01:22:43 »

Edit;
explains what? on my laptop i type much less and much slower.

Well that might be a sign. Maybe you should slow down, Turbo  :p

On a serious note, I'm not a doctor but I would prefer to type on the least painful keyboard, should any of them harm me. Even if I dropped a few WPM for it.

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 07:23:18 »
Does anyone know of any pads or O-rings that work on:

Mitsumi Switches?

NMB Space Invaders switches?

I am very interested to know as I have a lot of friends who use those kinds of keyboards.  It would be kewl to modernize them and make them softer and squishier.  Thanx!
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 07:38:04 »
Question, on the quiet pro, is the "Upstroke" dampened as well?

Offline iri

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 07:44:24 »
i see offtopic in my topic! go back to topic!

i decided to make landing pads for the keycap edges. i'll cut them from some soft rubber and place them around the plunger housing (the black square on the picture).

-Ray Bradbury

Offline sordna

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 22 February 2013, 21:21:33 »

i decided to make landing pads for the keycap edges. i'll cut them from some soft rubber and place them around the plunger housing (the black square on the picture).

Check out this thread too, might find it interesting: HHKB Pro JP - Variable force & Silencing mods

Does anyone know of any pads or O-rings that work on:

Mitsumi Switches?

NMB Space Invaders switches?

I am very interested to know as I have a lot of friends who use those kinds of keyboards.  It would be kewl to modernize them and make them softer and squishier.  Thanx!

TC, I haven't tried them on those switches, but I have tried them all on cherries. If you like soft and squishy, landing pads are the way to go. I would say the gray landing pads are about 30A durometer, and the black ones about 20A. I don't know the official specs, but I've tried them all and that's my guesstimate. Have you tried the black soft-landing pads? Are they soft enough for you? I took them off because they were too soft for me and I couldn't tell when I was bottoming out!
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 22 February 2013, 22:32:12 »
Sordna linked a great tutorial on silencing a Topre switch, here's two more! Enjoy!

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=34972

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40582

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 22 February 2013, 22:48:53 »

Show Image

Please take pics and document!

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 22 February 2013, 22:58:37 »

Offline iri

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 23 March 2013, 07:15:40 »
Question, on the quiet pro, is the "Upstroke" dampened as well?
it seems yes.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline iri

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 23 March 2013, 07:25:40 »
so i was looking for the softest possible dampener, and it turned to be this:

16650-0

yes, handlebar wrap. it was kinda easy to cut the widest part of it (in the center) to stripes and put it on the plate (not everywhere, as it was just an experiment):

16656-1

when i put the keycaps back on, it looked like this:

16654-2

it really dampened the bottoming out impact, but made it a bit mushy... and also didn't help me resolve my issues. end of story.
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 March 2013, 07:36:54 by iri »

-Ray Bradbury

Offline khaangaaroo

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 23 March 2013, 10:24:46 »
Sorry to hear that man. At least you figured out a way to make the black plate look cool :P

I think I have a similar typing technique to you, because I also rarely bottom out on even very light switches. And you already know that I found it fatiguing switching to 45g Topre. Although I wouldn't call it painful, I can see how it could get there if I typed a lot in one day.

The harshness probably isn't coming from how hard the landing is, since landing on Topre rubber + spring is kinda like landing on o-rings already. Plus the handle bar tape experiment made it even softer without any result. I think it comes from how fast your fingers move downward and how abruptly they stop. Because it's so much lighter after the bump, the force required to get over the bump (although pretty light and smooth) still sends you racing to the bottom after you get over the peak.

I'm just hypothesizing all this, but if this really is the reason why your fingers are hurting, then there probably isn't really a way to make 45g domes less painful. You could maybe look into getting a 30g Realforce. At least for me, it's the most comfortable typing experience for my style since it's smooth throught the entire curve and doesn't require bottoming out. Going back to 30g after of a long day of 45g is like going to a spa...haha

Offline iri

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 23 March 2013, 10:30:47 »
you just confirmed my own ideas. where did you get a 30g?

-Ray Bradbury

Offline khaangaaroo

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 23 March 2013, 10:51:26 »
You don't have many choices. The readily available ones are all Japanese layout and would have to be imported from Japan.

The 104Pro is a fullsized ANSI that's supposed to be available in China, but I've never seen it or figured out a way to find someone that can get it.

The 108UDK is a fullsized JIS that's available in two places:
http://www.geekstuff4u.com/realforce-108udk-all30g-keyboard.html#.UU3MbxyG1_E
http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B003H04YIO (you would have to use a forwarding service like Tenso.com to buy from amazon.jp)

The 89S-10th is a TKL JIS also available through amazon + tenso
http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B007BHW03U/

JIS layout is a little tricky to get used to but doable. Or you can swap domes and sell the JIS.

Offline iri

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 23 March 2013, 11:07:10 »

-Ray Bradbury

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #37 on: Sun, 24 March 2013, 11:24:05 »
I am looking at that Topre keyboard and it says
Pro function keys use Raiders (Click picture larger)

1. What are they saying?

2. I can't click the picture larger.  Why not?  I am using Chrome with Javascript enabled.

3. What is in that pic?

Offline iri

« Reply #38 on: Sun, 24 March 2013, 12:15:05 »
share that baby!

-Ray Bradbury

Offline iri

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 06:59:39 »
i have the same issues with ergo clears (and i still don't bottom out on them).

sorry for necroposting.

23836-0

-Ray Bradbury

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 11:10:21 »
Your best bet then is probably just to stick with Reds and O-rings, since you don't bottom out on those.

Offline khaangaaroo

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 14:11:43 »
iri, did you ever end up picking something up with 30g? I'm thinking of getting another donor board to mod a FC660C if I end up liking it.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #42 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 20:17:31 »
I'm not sure 30g Topre would be any different from just getting MX reds...the 30g Topre are annoyingly light with only a very slight bump...and if the point is to try to not bottom out, you're really just better off with MX Reds...it is really just trying to make Topre do something it isn't meant to do and without any of the benefits of the switch itself...

Offline khaangaaroo

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 21:54:05 »
I'm not sure 30g Topre would be any different from just getting MX reds...the 30g Topre are annoyingly light with only a very slight bump...and if the point is to try to not bottom out, you're really just better off with MX Reds...it is really just trying to make Topre do something it isn't meant to do and without any of the benefits of the switch itself...

I love my annoyingly light keys and their slight tactile bumps :P

Reds are nice too, and would probably relieve pain just as well. But I would argue 30g would be a much different typing experience from reds. Whether or not it's worth it is always debatable.

Offline iri

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 03 June 2013, 05:05:15 »
i was wrong, this pain is not because of bottoming out.

i am still thinking of whether i should get a 30g topre or not... can't make a decision.

-Ray Bradbury