Author Topic: Any GHers recommendations on a low carb shake/powder MRE?  (Read 4985 times)

Offline dante

Any GHers recommendations on a low carb shake/powder MRE?
« on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 16:22:37 »
See Subject.  Ideally I'm looking for:

as low carb as possible
lots of filling fiber
mixes easily with water
No BS ingredients
300-400 calories per serving

The best I've found so far is this: http://primalblueprint.com/pages/Primal-Fuel.html

Problems I see are price (I'd like to keep it under $45 for a 30 day supply if possible) and calories (not even 200 cals. - I need 300 cals. minimum)

Any suggestions would be very appreciated!

Offline csloan1218

• Technomancer
Re: Any GHers recommendations on a low carb shake/powder MRE?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 16:29:49 »
My wife is a beachbody coach, so she sells these shakes that she swears by. I'll like the info and pm me if you are interested in getting into it (she on commission)

http://www.shakeology.com/
Ducky DK9008 Shine II Blue LED Backlit (Red Cherry MX)
Leopold Linear Touch FC500RR/AB (Red Cherry MX)

Offline dante

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 16:35:44 »
My wife is a beachbody coach, so she sells these shakes that she swears by. I'll like the info and pm me if you are interested in getting into it (she on commission)

http://www.shakeology.com/

No dice.  140 calories, high in carbs, $4 a serving.

Offline csloan1218

• Technomancer
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 16:38:39 »
I used to use body fortress from walmart that was a whey formula, that was like $15 for a 2 lbs container.

It was good, but I'm not too sure about the nutritional info.

Offline dante

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 16:54:24 »
I used to use body fortress from walmart that was a whey formula, that was like $15 for a 2 lbs container.

It was good, but I'm not too sure about the nutritional info.

I tried this a while back and while it was good could use a bit more fiber.

I'm still going to hold out for recommendations but I'm also thinking of leaning the other way just measuring out 2-3 tablespoons of almond butter for my meal.

The problem with most shakes is if you want more calories they jack up the carbs/sugar; I guess if you are a body builder that is fine.  Why don't they just ask the consumer to use more scoops?

I just have one meal a day that will require these specific set of criteria.  All the others are accounted for.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 17:23:53 »
http://www.dymatize.com/products/protein/detail/85/elite-gourmet-protein-2-lb/?query=%28category.ne.Specials%29.and.%28category.eq.Protein%29&back=products

I use two scoops of that and a scoop of a fiber powder.  It's a little close to the high end of your budget, but that's also MSRP and you should be able to find it cheaper online.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 17:29:40 »
How fat are you?

if you're just a little fat, then exercise is enough.. and you don't need any expensive diets..

The TRUE cost to ANY of these undertakings is TIME...

the TIME it takes you to make these shakes

the TIME it takes you to crank out additional workouts

the TIME it takes you to "shower" afterwards

the shake in it of itself is cheap....

If you're over 30, don't even bother working out... it's just a waste of your time... work harder, earn a little more... pick up a left-over chick late 20s and make babies... DONE....

People argue all the time that "quality of life" improves with working out...

REALLY, I need a killer bod' just to sit in this chair all day... wow... you don't say...

Offline dante

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 19:00:43 »
I was diagnosed with sleep apnea at 348lbs (5'11).

By making a few changes in my diet and lost 10 lbs.

At that point I was stalling and discovered a MMA gym run by my parents neighbors.  I was on that for around 4 months and got down to 305.  Unfortunately I left due to injury and put on more weight - so I got back to 330 after a month or two.

I'm now on a diet and have gotten down to 295.  However I have specific needs to replace one of the meals with something FAST to prepare.

I'll get there .. I'm losing 3-5 pounds a week.  Just sick of preparing food.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 19:21:13 »
If you're over 30, don't even bother working out... it's just a waste of your time... work harder, earn a little more... pick up a left-over chick late 20s and make babies...
I...have no words. I will just facepalm and move on.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 19:57:43 »
If you're over 30, don't even bother working out... it's just a waste of your time... work harder, earn a little more... pick up a left-over chick late 20s and make babies...
I...have no words. I will just facepalm and move on.

How much better will working out make your life at that point, assuming at 30 you're definitely done with school.

Like, really, what could you possibly hope to gain by working out..

Working out only has significant advantage for younger people, because at their age, they have very little assets outside of their own bodies... THUS for anything they "want" they trade for it by "service"...

This is not the case with older people, because they're done with education and have a job.. then they can proceed to trade directly with "CASH"

And you'd be extremely naive to think that there isn't a woman out there that'll take cash to make up for the fact that you're a little pudgy....

^^ this applies to all women, with the exception of women who have more cash then you... this is extremely rare

again, we're talking between similar aged people..  obviously an older female could quite possibly have more than a younger male.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 20:02:22 »
I was diagnosed with sleep apnea at 348lbs (5'11).

By making a few changes in my diet and lost 10 lbs.

At that point I was stalling and discovered a MMA gym run by my parents neighbors.  I was on that for around 4 months and got down to 305.  Unfortunately I left due to injury and put on more weight - so I got back to 330 after a month or two.

I'm now on a diet and have gotten down to 295.  However I have specific needs to replace one of the meals with something FAST to prepare.

I'll get there .. I'm losing 3-5 pounds a week.  Just sick of preparing food.

Oh... you're that kind of fat..

Is your big-ness due to over-eating, or some other condition.

Offline dante

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 20:15:03 »
A combination of overeating AND not eating the right foods that promote fullness (high fiber, high fat) or mess with blood sugars (high carb.)

I'm also losing weight for this reason:  I work in IT and in case I need to move to another team or find another job I'd just like to say to a potential future employer "I might not have all the skills but let me show you my before and after photos - this is what I'm capable of when I put my mind to something."  If I'm lucky it will be someone with a very athletic background.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 20:22:26 »
I have learned 2 things about tp4 in this thread:
1. He is under 30
2. He has never met a woman

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 21:44:20 »
A combination of overeating AND not eating the right foods that promote fullness (high fiber, high fat) or mess with blood sugars (high carb.)

I'm also losing weight for this reason:  I work in IT and in case I need to move to another team or find another job I'd just like to say to a potential future employer "I might not have all the skills but let me show you my before and after photos - this is what I'm capable of when I put my mind to something."  If I'm lucky it will be someone with a very athletic background.

Diet failure is due to the fact that if one temporarily changes the way they eat "without" changing their "relationship" with food, they're setting themselves to relapse into their original state.

The largest commitment you have to make is a mental one,  Food is like charging your batteries.. NOTHING MORE... the way it makes you "FEEL" the way it "TASTES"   all completely irrelevant in our modern society..

However it makes you "FEEL"... you must disassociate the emotions that cause you to over-eat from eating.

How it "TASTES",  we have a sense of taste because before chemistry many look-i-like edibles would probably instant-kill-us....   This is NOT going to happen in today's world when we "know-better"

When you can "let go" of both those things... you will fully conquer eating...

Offline dmreeves

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 00:21:10 »
GLHF!

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 00:44:14 »
I'm not a doctor and still have much to learn about nutrition, but I've been reading more and more lately for my own health reasons.

What you're looking for may not be available in powder form. Calories mainly come from sugar, carbs, and fat. You need to get your body fat-adapted - used to burning fat for energy. This can be done with a diet higher in fat and restrictive in carbs.

The ideal food is probably avocado. A medium avocado is 276 calories with 0 carbs, some fiber and high in fat. It's easy to prepare, requires no cooking, doesn't taste bad with a little salt and you can add other things to your taste like tomato, garlic, onion, cilantro. Voila! Guacamole. I could eat the stuff in place of one meal a day.

Offline csloan1218

• Technomancer

Offline quickcrx702

• Ready to bomb with Vietnam tatted on my back
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 01:20:40 »

If it helps, I've also been working in (sh)IT since 2001.  I was always underweight at 6' tall 145lbs, but between working stupid hours and making food choices based on time vs nutrition or taste, I let myself go pretty bad at one point.  I got up to 220 lbs and felt like a complete slob.  I got myself down to 170 lbs between diet and exercise, but once I saw a six pack forming I decided to stop since I have nobody to impress(I'm married LOL).  This was in 2009, it's 2013 now and I didn't get back up to that weight or worse like many people do.  I generally walk around at 185 lbs which is not fat at all, just not a fitness model physique.  I haven't worked out since I lost all that weight, I just don't eat the same garbage I used to.

My advice to you, since I assume you are super busy if you work in IT, is to take things slowly.  If you rush it and decide to get on a 1200 calorie diet, run 10 miles a day, and other stupid things, you might be able to do it for a while, but you will quickly give up or at best last a couple of months.  You need to make lifestyle changes, not get on a diet, and not walk around like a zombie because you eat almost nothing and use most of your free time to workout.  Eat clean during the weekdays, and eat like crap during the weekends.  This helps to keep you motivated because you won't feel like you are missing out on any of the foods you like so you won't dream about that crap, and you will actually feel guilty while eating it which for me at least helped me change the way I look at high calorie, low nutrition, crappy foods.  Don't cut out carbs and fat, your body needs that stuff, just change them to the healthy types.  Eat oatmeal in the morning, it's low calorie if you just use simple stuff like cinnamon and blueberries to flavor it, and keeps you full for hours.  Have tons of hard boiled eggs for snacks, but don't eat more than a couple with the yolks.  If you throw out the yolk and put hot sauce or some similar low calorie flavoring, they also keep you full and give you good protein with not many calories.  I could give you a complete meal and workout plan, but I don't want to go on too long of a rant especially since you can look them up on bodybuilding.com.  Check out the fat to fit section of the forum, there are dudes who started at your size and are ripped a few years later.  Notice I said years, not months like biggest loser type diets that have you gain all the weight back once you reach your goal.  Losing weight slowly also helps to avoid loose skin that you would get if you take things too quickly.  Some of those people did crazy low carb diets, but the ones who have long lasting results seem to recommend eating a clean balanced diet.

Finally, if you need something fast, eat a GOOD protein bar and wash it down with tons of water.  They are generally 250ish calories, and have lots of protein which helps keep you from losing muscle.  I won't give you a recommendation on which one, other than to read the label.  I can also tell you that the most nutritious ones aren't cookies and cream flavored dripping with chocolate.  When you want to take things to the next level, make your own on the weekend, then package them for your consumption during the week.

IT guys are notorious for being lazy, and using their brain to work smarter not harder.  Apply the same logic to your diet and you'll be set.  Drinking shakes is just going to piss you off after a while, and it's not a permanent lifestyle change.  Good luck.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 07:05:04 »

If it helps, I've also been working in (sh)IT since 2001.  I was always underweight at 6' tall 145lbs, but between working stupid hours and making food choices based on time vs nutrition or taste, I let myself go pretty bad at one point.  I got up to 220 lbs and felt like a complete slob.  I got myself down to 170 lbs between diet and exercise, but once I saw a six pack forming I decided to stop since I have nobody to impress(I'm married LOL).  This was in 2009, it's 2013 now and I didn't get back up to that weight or worse like many people do.  I generally walk around at 185 lbs which is not fat at all, just not a fitness model physique.  I haven't worked out since I lost all that weight, I just don't eat the same garbage I used to.

My advice to you, since I assume you are super busy if you work in IT, is to take things slowly.  If you rush it and decide to get on a 1200 calorie diet, run 10 miles a day, and other stupid things, you might be able to do it for a while, but you will quickly give up or at best last a couple of months.  You need to make lifestyle changes, not get on a diet, and not walk around like a zombie because you eat almost nothing and use most of your free time to workout.  Eat clean during the weekdays, and eat like crap during the weekends.  This helps to keep you motivated because you won't feel like you are missing out on any of the foods you like so you won't dream about that crap, and you will actually feel guilty while eating it which for me at least helped me change the way I look at high calorie, low nutrition, crappy foods.  Don't cut out carbs and fat, your body needs that stuff, just change them to the healthy types.  Eat oatmeal in the morning, it's low calorie if you just use simple stuff like cinnamon and blueberries to flavor it, and keeps you full for hours.  Have tons of hard boiled eggs for snacks, but don't eat more than a couple with the yolks.  If you throw out the yolk and put hot sauce or some similar low calorie flavoring, they also keep you full and give you good protein with not many calories.  I could give you a complete meal and workout plan, but I don't want to go on too long of a rant especially since you can look them up on bodybuilding.com.  Check out the fat to fit section of the forum, there are dudes who started at your size and are ripped a few years later.  Notice I said years, not months like biggest loser type diets that have you gain all the weight back once you reach your goal.  Losing weight slowly also helps to avoid loose skin that you would get if you take things too quickly.  Some of those people did crazy low carb diets, but the ones who have long lasting results seem to recommend eating a clean balanced diet.

Finally, if you need something fast, eat a GOOD protein bar and wash it down with tons of water.  They are generally 250ish calories, and have lots of protein which helps keep you from losing muscle.  I won't give you a recommendation on which one, other than to read the label.  I can also tell you that the most nutritious ones aren't cookies and cream flavored dripping with chocolate.  When you want to take things to the next level, make your own on the weekend, then package them for your consumption during the week.

IT guys are notorious for being lazy, and using their brain to work smarter not harder.  Apply the same logic to your diet and you'll be set.  Drinking shakes is just going to piss you off after a while, and it's not a permanent lifestyle change.  Good luck.

It's impossible to avoid loose skin going from 300+ lbs to "ripped".. If you're after the Hollywood physique, you're going to need some surgical assistance, if and when you succeed in getting your weight down.

The lifestyle change that quickcrx mentioned is very important... a working and lasting diet is not just about "eating-this/eating-that".. it's about reprogramming your whole understanding of fueling your body...

Offline dante

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 09:00:54 »
Yeah ... one of crappy things on the back of my mind is when I get down there how much excess skin I'm going to have.  It almost makes me want to not be so thin :)

Doctors would probably say I should be around 185.  I'd probably want to be more around 190-195.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 09:26:56 »
Yeah ... one of crappy things on the back of my mind is when I get down there how much excess skin I'm going to have.  It almost makes me want to not be so thin :)

Doctors would probably say I should be around 185.  I'd probably want to be more around 190-195.

21st cen,  no shame in cosmetic surgery..  and in this case it's more functional than cosmetic.

Just googled some stuff about the surgery.. because there's a recovery time, some people gain a great deal of weight back during that time...

sigh... blame school meals... all we had were burgers and fries..

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
Paleo Diet
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 09:59:32 »
Dante,

If you're on a diet prescribed by a doctor, then that supersedes anything in this reply. In fact, I hesitate in adding to the "conversation" here, because this topic is prone to go downhill quickly, but I have used the Paleo diet for the last two years and it works for me

TL;DR
Eat simple, whole foods. If your goal is to lose weight, watch your sugar and carb intake. Counting calories is a waste of time if you're diet consists of nothing but processed foods. Exercise is good, but your diet is more important.

My Story
Over the years, I had become more sedentary and my diet was crap. Some days I had McDonalds for all three of my meals. Tried a bunch of diets over the years: Weight Watchers, South Beach, etc., and they all worked, but I found myself sliding back into my old habits all too easily.

A couple of years ago, I was up to 285lb and I'm 5'10". My primary focus was on running my business and I felt like I didn't have time to focus on my health. I picked up a copy of the 5-Hour Body by Timothy Ferris and his "Slow Carb" diet seemed simple enough, so I decided to give it a try. I did lose some weight and stuck with it for about six months. However, I kept hearing about the Paleo diet from various sources so I decided to look into it and ended up switching to it.

Over the next year, I lost over 85lbs, felt better, more energy, etc. Most of my weight loss was due to diet. The only exercise I added was to do some intervals (walking, push ups, lunges and squats), which averaged about one workout per week.

Paleo In A Nutshell
   1. No grains
   2. No processed foods
   3. No processed seed oils
   4. No dairy (optional)

The basic premise is that all of those items are gut irritants and cause inflammation, which lead to other issues, the most serious being "leaky gut". It's called Paleo because it references how our ancestors ate during the Paleolithic period.

I didn't have crazy rapid weight loss, but it was consistent and it was noticeable. I'd say I lost about 2-3lbs per week. I didn't really watch the scale that much though because I could see it and feel it in my clothes.

It's not really a diet as much as it is a lifestyle. The way that I eat has completely changed. I cook a lot more, but I'm happy to do it because the food tastes so good. I've also found that my wife and I don't go out to eat as much because it's simply not a good value (it's so much less expensive to cook at home) and often times it doesn't taste as good.

Paleo isn't a patented system, so you can adapt it to what works for you. However, I do encourage people to give it at least 30 days before you decide to tinker with it. I've added back rice about once a week and I do enjoy butter and cheese if I know it's from grass-fed cows for example.

I did go back to eating crap again when I was under a lot of stress about 6 months ago and I naturally gained about 15lbs back. It was a vicious cycle where I felt down (due to stress), so I ate some fast food to feel better and that ended up making me feel worse. Rinse and repeat. About 30-days ago, I decided to stop being stupid and went back to normal eating.  Already dropped 5lbs and I'm feeling better, clothes are looser again, etc.

Free Resources To Learn More
   - Latest In Paleo Podcast
   - RobbWolf.com

Books
   - Practical Paleo
     A great book for covering the basics without getting too bogged down in the science. Lots of recipes and meal plans.

- The Paleo Solution
     If you want to go deep into the science, this is the book to get. Well written, funny and I use his margarita recipe to this day.

Summary
I don't think there is any one diet that has everything 100% correct. Also, nutrition isn't a religion, so I don't think there is any point in being dogmatic about it either. As science discovers new information, then we can learn from it and integrate it into living longer, healthier lives.

The Paelo diet is rooted in science, but it does knowingly make certain evolutionary assumptions, so there is room for interpretation and how you apply that in your own life. This lifestyle works for me and I've seen it work for others, maybe it'll work for you.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 10:03:18 »
Like, really, what could you possibly hope to gain by working out..
To maintain my health.

Exercise is beneficial for the whole body, including the brain and the digestive system.
Exercise is good for the mind because it gives a general sense of well-being afterwards -- which can reduce the perceived need to munch on snacks to feel good. It can help you cope with stress.
The best thing is to let exercise become a habit, not something you do to build muscles to try to impress some chick ...  :rolleyes:

Also, women appreciate men who takes care of themselves.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 11:47:11 »
Dante,

If you're on a diet prescribed by a doctor, then that supersedes anything in this reply. In fact, I hesitate in adding to the "conversation" here, because this topic is prone to go downhill quickly, but I have used the Paleo diet for the last two years and it works for me

TL;DR
Eat simple, whole foods. If your goal is to lose weight, watch your sugar and carb intake. Counting calories is a waste of time if you're diet consists of nothing but processed foods. Exercise is good, but your diet is more important.

My Story
Over the years, I had become more sedentary and my diet was crap. Some days I had McDonalds for all three of my meals. Tried a bunch of diets over the years: Weight Watchers, South Beach, etc., and they all worked, but I found myself sliding back into my old habits all too easily.

A couple of years ago, I was up to 285lb and I'm 5'10". My primary focus was on running my business and I felt like I didn't have time to focus on my health. I picked up a copy of the 5-Hour Body by Timothy Ferris and his "Slow Carb" diet seemed simple enough, so I decided to give it a try. I did lose some weight and stuck with it for about six months. However, I kept hearing about the Paleo diet from various sources so I decided to look into it and ended up switching to it.

Over the next year, I lost over 85lbs, felt better, more energy, etc. Most of my weight loss was due to diet. The only exercise I added was to do some intervals (walking, push ups, lunges and squats), which averaged about one workout per week.

Paleo In A Nutshell
   1. No grains
   2. No processed foods
   3. No processed seed oils
   4. No dairy (optional)

The basic premise is that all of those items are gut irritants and cause inflammation, which lead to other issues, the most serious being "leaky gut". It's called Paleo because it references how our ancestors ate during the Paleolithic period.

I didn't have crazy rapid weight loss, but it was consistent and it was noticeable. I'd say I lost about 2-3lbs per week. I didn't really watch the scale that much though because I could see it and feel it in my clothes.

It's not really a diet as much as it is a lifestyle. The way that I eat has completely changed. I cook a lot more, but I'm happy to do it because the food tastes so good. I've also found that my wife and I don't go out to eat as much because it's simply not a good value (it's so much less expensive to cook at home) and often times it doesn't taste as good.

Paleo isn't a patented system, so you can adapt it to what works for you. However, I do encourage people to give it at least 30 days before you decide to tinker with it. I've added back rice about once a week and I do enjoy butter and cheese if I know it's from grass-fed cows for example.

I did go back to eating crap again when I was under a lot of stress about 6 months ago and I naturally gained about 15lbs back. It was a vicious cycle where I felt down (due to stress), so I ate some fast food to feel better and that ended up making me feel worse. Rinse and repeat. About 30-days ago, I decided to stop being stupid and went back to normal eating.  Already dropped 5lbs and I'm feeling better, clothes are looser again, etc.

Free Resources To Learn More
   - Latest In Paleo Podcast
   - RobbWolf.com

Books
   - Practical Paleo
     A great book for covering the basics without getting too bogged down in the science. Lots of recipes and meal plans.

- The Paleo Solution
     If you want to go deep into the science, this is the book to get. Well written, funny and I use his margarita recipe to this day.

Summary
I don't think there is any one diet that has everything 100% correct. Also, nutrition isn't a religion, so I don't think there is any point in being dogmatic about it either. As science discovers new information, then we can learn from it and integrate it into living longer, healthier lives.

The Paelo diet is rooted in science, but it does knowingly make certain evolutionary assumptions, so there is room for interpretation and how you apply that in your own life. This lifestyle works for me and I've seen it work for others, maybe it'll work for you.

I've looked into the Paleo diet.... what it says about our physiology may be true... but we can not discount the fact that the BRAIN loves sugar, and that perhaps our modern mental capacity to think and reason is in some ways related to elevated consumption of refined sugars after having converted to Agrarians.

I'm not saying the brain CHANGED in the last 5000 years, it'd be difficult to even have evidence of this..

However, the convenience in energy consumption saving TIME, more time to think... less time worrying about food... this would be directly correlated to our increased productivity.

So, NOW today, we've produced so much so efficiently, that we can afford to go BACK to the inefficient paleo diet... while maintaining our "free-time" for mental output.

Hmmmmmmmmmm,.........

Offline dante

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 12:26:50 »
Right now I'm consuming an average of 75g of carbs per day.  Once I get to where I should be I'd like to have that increased to 100-125 as I'm not feeling as sharp as before.

Though my menu is pretty much out of packets I am intrigued that you can make bread, buns, and tortillas out of coconut or almond flour which has got to be healthier.  I love oatmeal but whenever I eat it I gain weight very rapidly; and I'm referring to the plain steel cut kind with no added ingredients - just water.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 12:31:14 »
Right now I'm consuming an average of 75g of carbs per day.  Once I get to where I should be I'd like to have that increased to 100-125 as I'm not feeling as sharp as before.

Though my menu is pretty much out of packets I am intrigued that you can make bread, buns, and tortillas out of coconut or almond flour which has got to be healthier.  I love oatmeal but whenever I eat it I gain weight very rapidly; and I'm referring to the plain steel cut kind with no added ingredients - just water.

Do you have a wife for this food stuff? I've tried to makes some of those things in the list, TAKES FOREVER.

Offline dante

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 12:42:36 »

Do you have a wife for this food stuff? I've tried to makes some of those things in the list, TAKES FOREVER.

Not really, I haven't tried making any of them yet - just research; but if you want to buy paleo bread already made you can go here:

http://www.julianbakery.com/paleo/

They have two types of bread - one made with coconut flour one with almond flour.

If you are interested in buns google 'oopsie bread.'  There are a few recipes for it but basically one day someone tried to make something else and this is what they ended up with.  It's basically eggs, cream cheese, and cream of tartar though I understand you can sub the last ingredient for vinegar.

Offline quickcrx702

• Ready to bomb with Vietnam tatted on my back
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 12:47:08 »
It's impossible to avoid loose skin going from 300+ lbs to "ripped".. If you're after the Hollywood physique, you're going to need some surgical assistance, if and when you succeed in getting your weight down.

The lifestyle change that quickcrx mentioned is very important... a working and lasting diet is not just about "eating-this/eating-that".. it's about reprogramming your whole understanding of fueling your body...

True, but it can be minimized if you lose weight slowly instead of drastically by extreme diet and exercise.

Offline dante

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 12:56:30 »
Here is my progress thus far:

Weigh In Date          Weight     LBS Lost
3/1/2013                330.6   
3/8/2013                316.6        14
3/15/2013               311.2        5.4
3/22/2013               307.6        3.6
3/29/2013               302.6        5
4/5/2013                298.2        4.4

Offline csloan1218

• Technomancer
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 13:15:03 »
Great results, keep it up!

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 13:38:21 »
Wow, that is awesome Dante! csloan is right, keep it up!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 16:48:15 »
Here is my progress thus far:

Weigh In Date          Weight     LBS Lost
3/1/2013                330.6   
3/8/2013                316.6        14
3/15/2013               311.2        5.4
3/22/2013               307.6        3.6
3/29/2013               302.6        5
4/5/2013                298.2        4.4

?? you lost a pound per day? that's like, if you caught the plague...

not knocking your results... I'm just concerned that you may hurt end up in the hospital..

Losing weight fast is problematic because you lose significant muscle mass

Offline dante

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 12:19:49 »
?? you lost a pound per day? that's like, if you caught the plague...

not knocking your results... I'm just concerned that you may hurt end up in the hospital..

Losing weight fast is problematic because you lose significant muscle mass

That's ok - I have no muscle to lose.