Author Topic: need help with my computer  (Read 2791 times)

Offline llovro

need help with my computer
« on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 07:17:34 »
So. My computer shut down twice because of CPU overheating in last 3 week. Everything was fine until now. Now every time I start the computer it freezes and I can't do anything... Any suggestions?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: need help with my computer
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 07:59:37 »
Post complete specs..

and all Bios screenshots pertaining to CPU and Memory timings. :D

Fear Not.... I r here to help

Offline llovro

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 09:03:46 »
4gb ddr3 ram
Asus p7p55d deluxe edition motherboard
amd radeon hd6870
intel core i5 760
Antec 900 case
I don't know about power supply. Also I believe that cooling is stock.
As it goes for Bios pictures, I can't take them right now since I'm burning Back to the future trilogy on a dvd. And I think it's more of a software problem than hardware but idk... PC unfroze when I closed absolutely all programs.

Offline tinlong117

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 10:34:22 »
Any oc?

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 11:03:26 »
I'd reseat the CPU and apply new CPU grease. I suggest Arctic Silver, only stuff I use with my rigs.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 11:32:43 »
I'd think you definitely need M0ar ram because it seems you use many software simultaneously.

If you're not on an SSD, that could really help with what "may" be hard drive thrashing.

That is a sweet board... I wouldn't think you'd need to upgrade from it for at least 2 more years.

The Cooling is likely the issue.. those plastic clamps could crack or warp enough over time, such that they lift an edge.

Offline llovro

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 06:39:55 »

It looks like it's overclocked... It's custom built computer so I guess they oc'd it. And yeah I was thinking of upgrading this computer anyways. New ram, cpu cooler and oc cpu. I still have to check power supply to see if it would be strong enough to run a new cooler. Thanks for help.
I can post pictures of bios now if you want them.

Offline badcop

• thorpe thocking master race
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 06:49:24 »
Show Image

It looks like it's overclocked... It's custom built computer so I guess they oc'd it. And yeah I was thinking of upgrading this computer anyways. New ram, cpu cooler and oc cpu. I still have to check power supply to see if it would be strong enough to run a new cooler. Thanks for help.
I can post pictures of bios now if you want them.

that looks stock to me.  voltage, qpi, bus

clock speed: 2.8
turbo boost: 3.3

http://ark.intel.com/products/48496/Intel-Core-i5-760-Processor-8M-Cache-2_80-GHz

can you post the memory reading on CPU-Z?  what brand of ram/model number.  maybe your timings are off?
| MX Green Poker | HHKB Pro 2 White | HHKB Pro 2 Black | MX White Goldtouch TK Pad | Modded MX Red kul ES-87
| COMING SOON™ | MX Red GH60 | Ergo Clear GH60 |

Offline Larken

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 09:33:08 »
go download hardware monitor or Core Temp, and see how hot the cpu gets under normal usage. If it's truly a overheating issue, resitting the heatsink along with some new thermal paste (I recommend arctic silver 5 or ceramique 2 too) would do the trick.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline llovro

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 10:32:29 »

sorry for my dumbnes. I didn't see the 'turbo' part :S
I'm not sure for the model number of RAM but I think they're kingston (I looked inside of my case and I think they're kingston. What really sucks is that on the power supply it doesn't say how strong it is).
Also I'm not sure if I could reapply thermal paste (I don't want to destroy my cpu :S).

Offline Larken

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 10:42:07 »
those temperatures are way too hot for near idle state. you cpu is most likely overheating.

reapplying thermal paste is a simple matter, and is a non-destructive process. the only concern would be if you have absolutely no idea how to do it, or that the warranty would be voided in event that you open the system up.

Just remove the heatsink, clean the current gunk off it and the base of the cooler, squeeze a pea sized drop of thermal paste onto the cpu, and resit the heatsink again.

google for relevant articles, or even youtube for example videos on how to do it.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/howtos/howto_install_cpu_and_apply_thermal_paste

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=SG&hl=en-GB&v=o7rPqCvCt0g

hardly the best examples, but it's good enough to get a general idea.

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline badcop

• thorpe thocking master race
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 10:44:32 »
Holy **** turn the computer off and reapply thermal paste right now.  those temps are WAY too high for next to 0 load.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appmeth/int/vl/intel_app_method_vertical_line_v1.1.pdf

EDIT: if thermal paste doesnt fix it, try changing your command rate to 2t in the bios.  it looks like you have kingston valuram which is pretty low end and 1t is a lot harder to keep stable.
| MX Green Poker | HHKB Pro 2 White | HHKB Pro 2 Black | MX White Goldtouch TK Pad | Modded MX Red kul ES-87
| COMING SOON™ | MX Red GH60 | Ergo Clear GH60 |

Offline llovro

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 11:18:12 »
If reapplying thermal paste is this:
I'm concerned about 02:24 part. If this is not what you guys are talking about, then sorry for my dumbnes. Also, any suggestions on what thermal paste I should buy?

Offline Larken

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 11:27:33 »
llovro, that's not reapplying thermal paste. rather, the video is showing how to delid the cpu altogether, a process that is done by enthusiasts and absolutely not recommended for the average user. (and it's not a process meant for your cpu model)

watch this video instead.

it covers the main points, but the method of removing the heatsink differs from the one in the video, but it should be fairly simple.

If you're still on your computer, I suggest you don't do anything intensive (including gaming) on it in the meantime. If you can, shut it down until you actually reapply new paste, as the temps you posted is pretty bad for your pc.

as suggested, arctic silver 5 is a decent paste to use.

Offline llovro

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 11:56:58 »
*facepalm*
sorry for my dumbness...

going to buy thermal paste asap

Offline Dianoda

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 12:03:13 »
You may want to consider a new CPU cooler as well - could be that your CPU fan is dead.  Something like this would be make a good replacement:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

It's cheap, fairly quiet, has a great reputation.  I'm currently using one with a core i7 3770K (lightly OC'ed) and it does a fine job.

Edit - sounds like your comp has a fairly new cooler already, but the fan could still be an issue - open the case and check to see if the CPU fan is running, if not, shut it down, unplug computer, and check the power connection for the fan, then restart to see if it was just a connection issue.  If still not working, replace w/ new fan.  Re-applying thermal paste couldn't hurt, either.
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 April 2013, 12:12:05 by Dianoda »

Offline llovro

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 08:32:01 »
Any other paste recommendations other than arctic silver 5?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 11:14:47 »
Any other paste recommendations other than arctic silver 5?

Arctic silver is best for " heatsinks that have a "rough" finish.

for heatsinks with very smooth finish// mirror finish, the thermal paste makes VERY LITTLE difference.

I'm talking about the area of the heatsink that touches the cpu, not anywhere else..

If you're going to continue using the stock intel cooler, then I'd just get some arctic silver.

I've bought a tube of AS5 in 2003, still using it today.. LOL.. bout 30 computers and 60 graphic cards later..

NEVER waste money on "expensive" thermal paste... It's totally not worth it, and all testing is done in non-laboratory conditions.  When they're comparing things within 1 Celcius of each other.... a lab is required... 

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 12:08:17 »
Arctic Silver 5 here :D

Only reason we had to buy some is I lost it :))
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline llovro

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 15:59:57 »
I am not sure about the cooler tho... If my cpu cooler is dead im definetly not getting a normal (stock) cooler. I'd buy something a bit expensive or mid range(Im planning on overclocking (how much depends on what cooler I'll get) and if I would buy more expensive cooler I'd use it in my next computer too which Im going to build in like 2 years). So, if I'm not getting a stock cooler, what paste should I buy?

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 16:08:00 »
Buy some MX-4 or MX-2 if you want something a little cheaper - http://www.mwave.com/mwave/SKUSearch.asp?scriteria=AA77214&pagetitle=Arctic%20Cooling%20MX-2%20Thermal%20Compound%20-%204gram#.UWSCnhB_pcc

PS - I have a Thermalright HR-02 (The original) that you can have for cost of shipping, but you would need to buy a backplate. I'm not sure if FrozenCPU or PerformancePCS still has them in stock.

Edit - I know the Antec 900 isn't tiny, but I'm still not 100% sure if the HR-02 would fit lol. I think this is the backplate you'd need - http://www.amazon.com/Thermalright-Bolt-thru-VX-BTK-II/dp/B00BGBF1LK/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1365541911&sr=1-2&keywords=Thermalright+Venomous+BTK+Bolt-Thru-Kit
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 April 2013, 16:13:40 by Jocelyn »

Offline csloan1218

• Technomancer
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 18:45:09 »
I'm using the coolermaster v-8 and ive clocked my cpu all the way to 4.8 (i7 2600k) so I would endorse this chiller.

Cheep too.
Ducky DK9008 Shine II Blue LED Backlit (Red Cherry MX)
Leopold Linear Touch FC500RR/AB (Red Cherry MX)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 21:48:17 »
I'm using the coolermaster v-8 and ive clocked my cpu all the way to 4.8 (i7 2600k) so I would endorse this chiller.

Cheep too.

I feel like they screwed up on that cooler, because it's massive, and yet it's just mediocre in performance..

It looks super cool too... but what did they do wrong????

ALSO... I wouldn't recommend spending more than $20 on a new cooler...  the trusty Hyper 212  has been FREE after rebate... so look out for that...

usually around $15 after rebate or $10

Offline csloan1218

• Technomancer
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 22:13:38 »
It looks super cool too... but what did they do wrong????

I'll admit I got it for looks, but the reviews were stellar so I bit.

For me reaching 4.8 without thermal issues makes me happy.
Ducky DK9008 Shine II Blue LED Backlit (Red Cherry MX)
Leopold Linear Touch FC500RR/AB (Red Cherry MX)

Offline llovro

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 09:47:22 »
Okay, so. I'm not sure which cooler to get.
I can get
http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00001805
or
http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6740
So which one is better?
Also I found a place in slovenia where I can buy Arctic silver 5!! Hooray!!

Offline Permeability

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 10:15:46 »
I recommend the Cooler Master Hyper 212 series, they seem like the best bang for the buck in my opinion, unless that is hard to obtain in Slovenia i'm not too sure.
Keyboards:
'The Cheat' - lubed 62g Clears
Ducky Shine 3 TKL lubed 45g Reds (Work)

Offline bavman

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 10:21:09 »
I'd recommend the hyper 212+ as well. I basically have the same CPU as you (i7-860 w/ ht off) and it keeps it under 70*C at 3.8

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 10:23:08 »
I agree with the CM Hyper 212+ recommendations. I didn't see Slovenia in your profile when I made my last post :)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 16:31:01 »
Check the fans.
Great or not, the heatsink should be good enough to keep this system cool, and obviously WAS working for a while. So something changed.  Sounds to me like it's either not seated right (unlikely if it ran fine before) or a fan somewhere isn't working properly. Paste doesn't just tend to up and quit.

As for the paste, unless the heatsink was bumped, everything should still be working fine.
Contrary to what others have said, I recommend using ANY decent paste you can get. The difference between high end and low end paste isn't massive. Unless you are really stretching for a high overclock or maximum fan speed/noise reduction, high end paste is a waste of money. 3degrees C isn't a problem if everything works, like it should, and in my opinion if 3degrees is all that separates you from stable and a blue screen, that isn't very stable to me unless you got that 3 degrees on the hottest day of the year. Simply put, you should have more than a 3 degree buffer.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion