Author Topic: Workout question  (Read 5261 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Workout question
« on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 20:03:07 »
Hi, expert lifters

What weight shoulder-fly do you think this guy is doing.

I know I'll never be as handsome.. but at the very least I'm trying to improve my physique.

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
Re: Workout question
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 21:13:09 »
bro do you even lift
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline User Was Banned

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 21:19:13 »
Shoulder fly? You mean lateral raise?

Offline CK Briefs

• formerly calvins1
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 22:24:13 »

They're the same thing

And large shoulders are hard to get; generally guys who do upwards of 30 pound lateral raises or like 75lb dumbbell shoulder presses look like that

If you want shoulders like that, alternate between shoulder presses (machine + dumbbell), raises (dumbbell + resistance bands/ lateral + front), and pair your shoulder day with your bench day so it works your stability.

And don't forget your deltoids ^^
Current Keyboards: Orion - 62g ergo clears;
A87 PS2AVR - 59g ergo clears; QFR - stock blues

Offline User Was Banned

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 22:26:29 »

They're the same thing

And large shoulders are hard to get; generally guys who do upwards of 30 pound lateral raises or like 75lb dumbbell shoulder presses look like that

If you want shoulders like that, alternate between shoulder presses (machine + dumbbell), raises (dumbbell + resistance bands/ lateral + front), and pair your shoulder day with your bench day so it works your stability.

If you're overhead pressing and bench pressing, you aren't forgetting your deltoids, the largest muscle in your shoulders.

Also, weight is relative. Saying "upwards of 30 pound lateral raises or like 75lb dumbbell shoulder presses" means next to nothing.

Offline CK Briefs

• formerly calvins1
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 22:31:47 »

They're the same thing

If you're overhead pressing and bench pressing, you aren't forgetting your deltoids, the largest muscle in your shoulders.

Also, weight is relative. Saying "upwards of 30 pound lateral raises or like 75lb dumbbell shoulder presses" means next to nothing.

You don't work your deltoid as the primary muscle if you keep your body vertical most of the time.

And the question itself is flawed, since there are things like the degree to which the muscle is toned , and bone structure.

I'm just giving an estimate of what weight that size of shoulder should be able to deal with.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 23:04:38 »

They're the same thing

You don't work your deltoid as the primary muscle if you keep your body vertical most of the time.

And the question itself is flawed, since there are things like the degree to which the muscle is toned , and bone structure.

I'm just giving an estimate of what weight that size of shoulder should be able to deal with.

30lbs flies? hmm

I can do a few rep of 25.. my shoulders are not nearly that big... 

Offline intelli78

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 23:13:15 »

He is doing the Obama workout

Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline iri

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 09:27:22 »

the thumbnail for the video could have been added here:
http://www.tomatobubble.com/putin_obama.html
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 11:15:34 »
I tried the 30lbs lateral raise.. apparently what i'm talking about isn't shoulder flys, it's lateral raise..

I could 1 rep the 30lbs..   haha...   I guess 30-35 is probably enough to replicate the mass i'm going for.

Also, surprisingly I've never done a shoulder fly.. .. it's always been lateral raises..

Freakin'' this is what happens when your korean roommate who never works out teaches you to workout..

I also don't have enough weights to do shoulder flies it seems, because even 30lbs feel like nothing without the arms extended.

so now I probably have to go buy more weights...

Offline CK Briefs

• formerly calvins1
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 12:05:49 »
Yeah take our advice with a pinch of salt

I haven't worked out in like 2 years and I forget all the terminology

There's different form for flys/lateral raises (arm bent, straight), depending on what muscle you want to hit

Offline intelli78

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 12:09:03 »

the thumbnail for the video could have been added here:
http://www.tomatobubble.com/putin_obama.html

LOL. Classic.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline Malphas

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 12:15:42 »
You can't replicate someone else's physique by copying the weight they use for a particular exercise. Also, lateral raises and shoulder flys are the same thing, different variations exist though.

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 12:49:49 »
I think he's doing the rings like this guy to get shoulders like that.

I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 13:41:27 »
I think he's doing the rings like this guy to get shoulders like that.

Show Image

awww yea... animal power...

Offline JackMills

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 14:48:34 »
As someone who has been doing powertraining for 10 years, I would like to give some advice: start with the basic excercises. Squat, deadlift, bench press, overhead press, rows.
Keep it simple, look at programmes such as stronglifts or starting strength which are good 5x5 programmes to build basic strength. Don't start with those bodybuilder routines, those are designed for people with a better physique.
And the most important part of looking as in the OP is being aware of what you eat. Don't believe all that powder and supplement stuff, eat healthy (lots of veggies, lean meat, not too much bread or other carbs).

Offline Malphas

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 15:01:49 »
Frankly, you could obtain the physique in the OP just doing pushups, there's only a modicum amount of additional muscle there than a guy of that build would naturally have. The reason he looks the way he does is due to very low body fat more than anything.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 15:06:17 »
As someone who has been doing powertraining for 10 years, I would like to give some advice: start with the basic excercises. Squat, deadlift, bench press, overhead press, rows.
Keep it simple, look at programmes such as stronglifts or starting strength which are good 5x5 programmes to build basic strength. Don't start with those bodybuilder routines, those are designed for people with a better physique.
And the most important part of looking as in the OP is being aware of what you eat. Don't believe all that powder and supplement stuff, eat healthy (lots of veggies, lean meat, not too much bread or other carbs).

That list, it's very different from what I was thinking of doing.. (more isolation workouts)..

You're saying I should  do broad workouts that engage more muscle groups instead?

I also have no trouble staying or becoming lean almost-at-will... Curse of being Asian

Offline JackMills

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 15:33:57 »

[/quote]

That list, it's very different from what I was thinking of doing.. (more isolation workouts)..

You're saying I should  do broad workouts that engage more muscle groups instead?
[/quote]

Exactly, I am a firm believer of starting with compound exercises, such as those that I mentioned. You engage multiple muscles at once making a training a whole body training. You benefit because you don't spend as long as with isolating and targeting each muscle group. The key with compound exercises is to learn to lift heavy. If you can do those exercises properly (with good technique and heavy weights), believe me, you will notice some change on your body. I strongly suggest to look into stronglifts, starting strength or similar programs. Pick a good routine and stick to it. I started stronglifts 3 years ago after always doing split routines and it improved me a lot. I am not advocating for this particular routine, but for the principle of it, to keep it simple, to train heavy and to stick to it.
And I will repeat again, most important part to looking ripped is your diet. I can't do it so I pack some belly fat which means no six-pack, but I don't mind, I still look great and more important, the wife doesn't like those ripped bodies

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 18:42:43 »

Exactly, I am a firm believer of starting with compound exercises, such as those that I mentioned. You engage multiple muscles at once making a training a whole body training. You benefit because you don't spend as long as with isolating and targeting each muscle group. The key with compound exercises is to learn to lift heavy. If you can do those exercises properly (with good technique and heavy weights), believe me, you will notice some change on your body. I strongly suggest to look into stronglifts, starting strength or similar programs. Pick a good routine and stick to it. I started stronglifts 3 years ago after always doing split routines and it improved me a lot. I am not advocating for this particular routine, but for the principle of it, to keep it simple, to train heavy and to stick to it.
And I will repeat again, most important part to looking ripped is your diet. I can't do it so I pack some belly fat which means no six-pack, but I don't mind, I still look great and more important, the wife doesn't like those ripped bodies

haha.. hmm I see your point on the compound xercises... potentially reducing injury risk IF and WHEN in the future I decide to isolate something...

/looking into s-lifts now. thx

Offline User Was Banned

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 20:36:18 »
Fitness and Nutrition major and personal trainer here. Agree with JackMills. Do your big compound movements, worry about foofy assistance movements later when you've put on some strength/mass. Avoid supplements like the plague, eat animals and plants.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 22:35:09 »
Fitness and Nutrition major and personal trainer here. Agree with JackMills. Do your big compound movements, worry about foofy assistance movements later when you've put on some strength/mass. Avoid supplements like the plague, eat animals and plants.

I saw this documentary on this korean kid pro BBuilder on youtube.. he ate 12 eggwhites for breakfast..

Now.. my question is...  wouldn't that "get stuck" ?  cuz I didn't see him eat any veggies with it.

also...  Is 12 eggwhites a good idea..

Offline User Was Banned

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 00:00:40 »
12 egg whites isn't much, and no it doesn't get "stuck," that's not how your body works lol. I personally partake in intermittent fasting, so I concentrate all my calories for the day into one or two meals each day...meaning I'm eating a hell of a lot more protein in one sitting than 12 egg whites (that's only like 200 calories).

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 15:54:44 »
I just watched kindergarten Cop,  man... time to exercise... Arnold ftw!!

Offline Malphas

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 17:30:25 »
Egg whites are incredibly easy to digest.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 18:37:36 »
Ok.. so now i got 24 egg yolks..

what now.. make custard??

/potted plants?

/hair cream?

/i don't gotz time for diz'

Offline User Was Banned

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 19:20:55 »
No, eat them! That's where all the nutrients of the egg are, and most people actually tend to have sensitivities to the whites. Yolks are a great source of fats, B vitamins, lutein, Vitamin D, E, omega-3s, tryptophan, choline, magnesium, and much more...one of the most dense nutrient sources on earth.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 20:34:50 »
No, eat them! That's where all the nutrients of the egg are, and most people actually tend to have sensitivities to the whites. Yolks are a great source of fats, B vitamins, lutein, Vitamin D, E, omega-3s, tryptophan, choline, magnesium, and much more...one of the most dense nutrient sources on earth.

should i eat all of them?

I mean.. there's so many.. what about the bad cholesterol thing.

Offline User Was Banned

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 20:41:38 »
Cholesterol is not a problem for most people, unless you have a pre-existing condition or hereditary issues metabolizing it. Cholesterol is important for your body's ability to repair itself, among other things. It's really only bad when combined with a diet high in processed foods derived from grains, and sugar. Otherwise, dietary cholesterol =/= blood cholesterol.

I wouldn't eat all of them, but I'd say eat a few whole eggs instead of separating them. When you see "bodybuilders" eating only egg whites, it's because they have certain macronutrient goals in mind and probably don't want the extra fat in their diet.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 20:46:50 »
Cholesterol is not a problem for most people, unless you have a pre-existing condition or hereditary issues metabolizing it. Cholesterol is important for your body's ability to repair itself, among other things. It's really only bad when combined with a diet high in processed foods derived from grains, and sugar. Otherwise, dietary cholesterol =/= blood cholesterol.

I wouldn't eat all of them, but I'd say eat a few whole eggs instead of separating them. When you see "bodybuilders" eating only egg whites, it's because they have certain macronutrient goals in mind and probably don't want the extra fat in their diet.

wish you'd told me before I suctioned out all these egg yolks.. HAHA

the only thing I can think of, that could use up this many egg yolks is sponge cake..

and seriously that would just make me fluffier which is counter to the goal..

sigh...

Offline Daspartic

• IBM is love IBM is life
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 07:41:25 »
Eat clen, tren hard, get swole.
IBM Displaywriter (82 key) | IBM Model F 4704 (107 key) |  IBM Model F AT x3 | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 3104 x2 | IBM 6112884 (Green Tee mount Alps) | Realforce 87u (55g) | IBM Model M 1390131 x2 | IBM Model M (1391401 '88) | Leopold FC500R (MX Browns) | Wang (725-5971) (Salmon Alps) | Acer 6011 (SKCM Blue Alps) | White Fox (65 g Zealios) | XMIT keyboard (Hall Effect)

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 07:44:08 »
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 22:15:55 »
I never did any weights, but my workouts as a gymnast were pretty tough.

I would say, the guy's got it right with the muscle ups on the rings. You can also practise back levers and maltese isometric presses. Those things are really good for you. After some time, try to work your way up to a planche or planche push ups.

If you're interested, I can give you some tips on those maltese isometric presses. There wasn't much info online when I did a search. My coach was a physical therapist, so she knew pretty much everything.

That said, you should forget shoulder / arm strength and just go for the core. That's the one muscle group that matters most.

Offline iri

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 12:59:22 »
That said, you should forget shoulder / arm strength and just go for the core. That's the one muscle group that matters most.
it's not one group.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 20:49:29 »

I would say, the guy's got it right with the muscle ups on the rings. You can also practise back levers and maltese isometric presses. Those things are really good for you. After some time, try to work your way up to a planche or planche push ups.

If you're interested, I can give you some tips on those maltese isometric presses. There wasn't much info online when I did a search. My coach was a physical therapist, so she knew pretty much everything.

hrrmm.... watch a few of these gymnastic core and shoulder vids on ytube..

they seem much more scientific than the typical swole-dude vids..

Although. I'm not sure I have the time to develop the strength required to do things on the ring.. all the dudes doing those exercises look like they have legs for arms...

Offline User Was Banned

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 20:53:38 »
Yeah, obscure gymnastic specific exercises are the last thing you should be trying to do.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 21:21:05 »
Yeah, obscure gymnastic specific exercises are the last thing you should be trying to do.

I recommended the one(s) I did because they isolate the muscle he wants to train rather well, as well as give some suggestions for exercises to try for general shoulder strength. It's not for everyone: gymnasts want to strengthen all the aspects of a muscle group (particularly support muscles) instead of just bulking up like what a lot of people want nowadays. The functional muscles of an athlete are a completely different ideal for sure.

That said, there are no "gymnast specific exercises" so your comment really doesn't make sense to me. My coach was a physical therapist, so the conditioning she assigned us was based on her knowledge of physiology. Other than muscle-ups, the exercises I mentioned aren't even gymnastics moves. (In fact a muscle up rates an "A" in the strength category, and there aren't really "A" skills anymore (basically anything counts as an "A", but my opinions of the state of the Art are for another topic.)

But your comment intrigues me: even if I did mention "gymnast specific exercises" (like pommel circles, which train strength to do more, better, and harder circles on the pommel horse) then why would they be the last thing a person would want to do? Even Gymnast specific exercises can be excellent for general health or physique, especially if you don't have a full gym in your basement.

Although. I'm not sure I have the time to develop the strength required to do things on the ring.. all the dudes doing those exercises look like they have legs for arms...
If you're starting off a little lower-end, there are other exercises you can try instead. I'm happy to mention others that are a bit more basic and less focused if you like.

Offline Xowie

• On Sabbatical
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 21:38:19 »

I am definitely interested! I have been looking at incorporating other things in to my work out routine other than just straight weight lifting.
RETIRED

Offline User Was Banned

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 21:38:54 »
An actual maltese hold is dangerous and unsuitable for a beginner lifter like OP. Unless you're working with an Olympics level gymnastic coach, there is no reason to even attempt such an exercise.

isolate the muscle
That's not what a beginner should be doing. They should be focusing on the foundation of strength-building and hypertrophy inducing movements that can be progressively overloaded and recorded. Even if they did want to start trying these gymnast exercises, they should only be used as supplements to an existing routine. Squats, deadlifts, overhead press, rows, chins, etc. Those are the movements he should be doing to build a strong foundation before dabbling in maltese.

That said, if you enjoy those movements (and actually know how to do them properly) and don't care about making maximum progress, have at it.
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 June 2014, 21:44:19 by User Was Banned »

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 22:22:24 »
An actual maltese hold is dangerous and unsuitable for a beginner lifter like OP. Unless you're working with an Olympics level gymnastic coach, there is no reason to even attempt such an exercise.
absolutely agreed 100%. That's why I never recommended the Maltese hold. A maltese isometric press (as we called it) is much different, and involves a spotter. I was never olympic level and I did them. We even had the 6-year-olds doing them.
isolate the muscle
That's not what a beginner should be doing. They should be focusing on the foundation of strength-building and hypertrophy inducing movements that can be progressively overloaded and recorded. Even if they did want to start trying these gymnast exercises, they should only be used as supplements to an existing routine. Squats, deadlifts, overhead press, rows, chins, etc. Those are the movements he should be doing to build a strong foundation before dabbling in maltese.

That said, if you enjoy those movements (and actually know how to do them properly) and don't care about making maximum progress, have at it.
It should have been pretty clear from my post what level of expertise I was targeting with my recommendations. On reflection, and especially given the OP's feedback, I suggested that some less-advanced strength training be done.

Now, what a beginner should or should not be doing is up to them: based on what their goals are. If you just want to train one muscle, you can do that. There are ways of starting safe, and stepping up to it.

When I did conditioning for gymnastics, we didn't use weights at all, except for towards the end, where we stuck 45-lb weights on our backs for push-ups. We never did conventional weight training. I've never done squats, dead-lifts, or any of that. Yet, I was able to gain some muscle doing the exercises that we did. Unlike training with weights, we didn't bulk up the same way: that wasn't the point. Instead we gained a very functional strength of moving our bodies.

I, and all the gymnasts I trained with, from recreational to elite, all of us started off on these exercises. Since my coach came up with them, and she is a physical therapist, they are all founded in her physical therapy exercises and knowledge of physiology.

If I need someone to pick up a barbell, I'll call someone who does weights, If I want someone to help me move furniture, or useful things like that, I know who to call instead.

---
About the goals of all this: the OP mentioned training for physique. Now, such aesthetic ideals have changed with time (look up photos of "strong men" online), and research suggests that the "jacked" physique is less attractive to women (in general). It's a very personal aesthetic choice as to what physique you want to maintain, and an ideal I certainly wouldn't want to pressure someone in to. (just like I don't comment on a person's hair colour, or choice of facial hair: it's up to them). If the OP wants to build his physique in a certain way, he can do that. If he wants to get shoulders like that guy, there are ways to do that as well. I listed some exercises that will get him there, assuming he has a foundation, a spotter, some idea, etc. (and wants to only work out that area I guess..? I don't judge.)

Clearly if he wants help from me, he'll ask for it, then I can expound in more detail. But it looks like you are making a lot of assumptions right of the bat, ones that I would not, and would indeed wait until I know more.

I am definitely interested! I have been looking at incorporating other things in to my work out routine other than just straight weight lifting.

I recommend starting here:
http://www.drillsandskills.com/skills/cond

http://www.drillsandskills.com/skills/cond/upper
http://www.drillsandskills.com/skills/cond/lower
http://www.drillsandskills.com/skills/cond/overall
http://www.drillsandskills.com/skills/cond/maint

I feel like there are a lot of thing you can do with your abdominals, obliques, and lower back muscles that don't involve normal weights. From sit-ups, crunches (much more difficult, if done properly), "shotguns", "v-ups" (jacknives), "superman holds" (don't do superman rocks if you're a guy until you're more experienced), side sit ups, leg lifts, prone hold (this one is particularly good and can be done while reading or watching TV) etc. With paralettes (guide to making them is in one of the links) you can do L sits, which are pretty cool and easy to "show off" almost anywhere outside. You can make them look easy and then when somebody tries it they totally can't. it also makes push ups and side prone holds easier (my wrists hurt a lot after practice, so it's easier to hold on to something instead of bending them 90 degrees against the floor.

There's also about a million kinds of push-ups that work various parts of the body.

If you have a rope, do climbs on it (without using your legs if your arms are string enough), once you're better at that, you can hold an L sit while climbing to work on multiple muscles at once.

You can work on your jumping muscles all sorts of ways with calf raises on a stair, to standing backflips on a small mat.

arms / shoulders, and some abs can be done with therabands (large rubberbands) with varying degrees of success and difficulty. As it stretches, the weight changes, so you have to "control" it very specifically: a bit different than static weights of "weight" training.

I don't recommend dips, as the dip bars they have in gyms is about 6" too wide and trains different muscles. More importantly, with it being so wide, I feel that it's easier to get injured.

One hold I particularly like, which can be done on a pull-up bar (which can be used for all sorts of things, pull-ups, wide pull-ups, L pull ups, muscle ups, anchor for theraband, etc etc.) is the "candlestick" hold. Really basically, its' holding yourself upside down on it, with your knees a few inches from the bar. Unfortunately, there's a lot more subtleties to the hold, as you have to keep tight in specific ways through your upper back. Done right, it can be one of the better things you can work. I'll have to find some pictures or whatever though. ('cause done wrong, you wont; get much out of it. it'll be too easy).

That's just off-hand some ideas. I recommend using this as a starting point to learn more. As always: safety first.
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 June 2014, 22:35:35 by dorkvader »

Offline User Was Banned

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 23:03:43 »
About the goals of all this: the OP mentioned training for physique. Now, such aesthetic ideals have changed with time (look up photos of "strong men" online), and research suggests that the "jacked" physique is less attractive to women (in general). It's a very personal aesthetic choice as to what physique you want to maintain, and an ideal I certainly wouldn't want to pressure someone in to. (just like I don't comment on a person's hair colour, or choice of facial hair: it's up to them). If the OP wants to build his physique in a certain way, he can do that. If he wants to get shoulders like that guy, there are ways to do that as well. I listed some exercises that will get him there, assuming he has a foundation, a spotter, some idea, etc. (and wants to only work out that area I guess..? I don't judge.)

Oh god. This kills me. It's akin to women saying they don't want to lift weights because they'll get "bulky"

You don't just magically acquire a new physique. Muscles don't just appear after a few days of swinging dumbbells around aimlessly in the gym. It takes proper nutrition, especially if you want to stay lean while building muscle.

The reason I reject your bodyweight exercises is because they are only effective to a certain degree. If you want to make progress you have to add weight to your body in order to increase resistance. There is no escaping that. Sure you can keep working towards doing more reps, but that's not strength or hypertrophy, that's muscle endurance. OP didn't say he wants to flap his arms like a hummingbird, he said he wants big shoulders like the picture.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 14:05:34 »
Guys... I really appreciate both sides of advice.... and I find them both helpful... as it has made me realize that there is probably an aspect of balance between pushing for power/size and control/ technique

Offline JackMills

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 14:57:28 »
Guys... I really appreciate both sides of advice.... and I find them both helpful... as it has made me realize that there is probably an aspect of balance between pushing for power/size and control/ technique

Show Image

There is definitely a balance between both sides, as of some level you cannot keep gaining muscle without weighted training, doesn't matter what sport you do. I do powertraining to gain muscle, because I like the look of people as Reg Park, Steve Reeves and Arnold. I swim because it builds muscle and  builds endurance and I do yoga to keep myself supple. I try to seek a balance between a bodybuilder and athletes such as triathletes or swimmers. Somewhere in between is my ideal look
I like body-weight training when I am on a holiday or have no equipment to use. Even if you are muscular and can lift quite heavy the body-weight training can be exhausting. I will look into the links provided above by dorkvader, I am curious to what can be incorporated into my holiday-abroad-training.

Offline sleepy916

« Reply #43 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 15:14:04 »
Have you tried this? It looks to work out those troublesome deltoids that you are asking about.

« Last Edit: Sun, 29 June 2014, 15:34:04 by sleepy916 »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #44 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 15:23:46 »
Have you tried this? It looks to works out those troublesome deltoids that you are asking about.

hahahahahahahaha....  that's hilarious.. but I don't think I'd do that because it seems dangerous..and there's looks to be alot of momentum use in there that I'm not sure is actually productive.