Author Topic: A return to peasantry?  (Read 1426 times)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
A return to peasantry?
« on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 17:21:06 »
Is it weird that as I grow older, I feel myself wanting to return to console peasantry?  Sometimes I think about getting a TV or monitor across from my bed so I can just lay there and play games instead of having to start my computer up, sit there, use my mouse and keyboard, and, on occasion, pray that there won't be any driver or coding weirdness (like in Fallout: NV).

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: A return to peasantry?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 17:25:32 »
I don't see why you can't have both..

unless you're playing an FPS or RTS, every other game works just fine on the console, albeit slightly worse graphics, and longer load times, and slower response, and lower frame rates, and well..  hmm...

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 17:39:07 »
Get yourself a great chair or a couch setup like this :
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 17:53:46 »
Is it weird that as I grow older, I feel myself wanting to return to console peasantry?  Sometimes I think about getting a TV or monitor across from my bed so I can just lay there and play games instead of having to start my computer up, sit there, use my mouse and keyboard, and, on occasion, pray that there won't be any driver or coding weirdness (like in Fallout: NV).

Totally agree.  Grab a $30 N64 + free CRT and you are golden.  ;)

Offline swathe

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 17:55:58 »
I do both. Some games are just more fun or only available on a console and not PC or vice versa.
DAS Professional MX Blue
Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 Edition MX Blue

Linux + Emacs

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 18:09:40 »
its the hipster in you
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 18:11:32 »
Nothing wrong with consoles. I prefer them because I'm already at a desk already, crouched over a mouse and keyboard, and when I play games I like to put my feet up.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 18:16:38 »
I typically play FPS and MMO's on the PC. Everything else (Diablo, etc) will be on the console. Some games are just meant for a specific platform.
There's no reason to feel you need to stick with one or the other.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 18:31:50 »
Totally agree.  Grab a $30 N64 + free CRT and you are golden.  ;)

QFT.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline iri

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 11 November 2014, 03:03:07 »
i played pacman on a 1980's console recently. was fun.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 11 November 2014, 03:24:54 »
Just because it's not new doesn't mean it doesn't hold intrinsic artistic and entertainment value. And who's to judge if you wish to experience a medium in it's optimal format? It's not crazy to want the full experience something you love has to offer.

This is what I tell myself when I drop $600 on a Neo Geo AES game.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 11 November 2014, 04:18:08 »
I just don't feel like playing games any longer. I get fatigue just sitting on the gaming PC (I spent whole day at work on a computer too) but I've not tried console. I tried to game Spelunky and Dark Souls using a wireless gamepad and it was a disaster. I'm just not used to game pads.

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 11 November 2014, 04:34:53 »

I definitely feel you nubbs, after a long day it's just nicer to relax on the couch and play something with a controller. especially when you been in front of a pc all day. I have been using steam streaming and big picture with my controller and have been really enjoying it. Just got to make sure you are properly setup so you don't run into hassles. I have on more then one occasion wished I had a wireless HHKB to site on my lap though :)

Offline Naes

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 18:19:05 »
If you don't want to spend too much money (ie. Microsoft's new advertisement box) and your a fan of some older snes generation games, I would suggest getting a raspberry pi and setting it up as an emulator. I have mine running out of the husk of a dead snes, it's just the same as the real thing, controllers and all.