Author Topic: A story that will make you cry, but has a happy ending  (Read 4965 times)

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
A story that will make you cry, but has a happy ending
« on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 00:11:24 »
So just now, I mean 45 minutes ago or something the thing that all computer people fear the most happened to me. Oh yes sitting, chatting, relaxing, getting ready for bed, whatever. Then it happens. Half of your cranberry juice tips over. Oh no, not on your precious keyboard, no. On your 10x more expensive computer tower. Immediate shutdown happens, black screen, monitor going to sleep. Your top fan spewing the juice all into your system. You cut your computer off and you still hear the agonizing cries of electrical current like a fish dying from being out of water. You unplug the main power and everything stops, including your heart. You gather all types of cloths and paper towels and dart around like you just found someone unconscious and they need attention. You move your tower away from it's spot and you see the puddle. You hold back the tears but you don't lose hope. No way it can end like this, it just can't. The memories of cleaning the dust, running your favorite movies and programs, making those letters show up on the screen as you type on your favorite keyboard. There has to be a way, it's time to operate. You pull apart all sides you see drips of juice on your mother board and video card. You start to dip the paper towels in to soak it up only thinking about it's survival. You unplug the main parts and take out your video card. You noticed the juice is not everywhere just in certain areas. You dry, you wipe sticky areas, you dry, you move the case again to show more juice in a puddle as you continue not to lose hope. You dry the floor you dry crevasses with a slow hand like a surgeon. You plug the fan on full blast and use canned air to move the juice around so you can get to it. Half your parts have run out of warranty. There is no turning back, there is no other alternative. In a mild depression and frantic decision after all looks as good as can be you hook it all back up not caring about overnight drying your composure is unwavering. It's all or nothing. You have cleared your hard drives, your dvd roms, and all your other components. It's do or die. Everything is plugged up, everything in place. You push the button, and just like the dreams that died in an instant when the juice fell, the dreams arise new as the old familiar start up sounds are loud and clear. You check the monitor and see windows loading. You lay face down of the floor and thank Jesus for this small glorious moment. All is right in the world.

Forgive me if there are any misspelling or weird sentences as I am still getting over this. This just happened to me an hour ago and I felt like I needed to share.   

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
Re: A story that will make you cry, but has a happy ending
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 00:17:58 »
You're welcome my son.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline xxghostxx

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 00:43:38 »
that's the reason i try and put my tower above my usual drink sitting area. i would rather pay to replace my keyboard then my machine. i would be thanking the great machine spirit in the sky that it did not die.now my brother on the other hand has had a very bad incident himself. as i think all system builders have done one time or another he left the side of his case off and on this said day his cat climbed inside his pc and licked his video card!!! no joke... it was 6:30 am when he woke me up angry saying we had to go to fry's. the fan literally melted around the card and flew off the cat live threw this whole ordeal with out a scratch which i myself was very surprised  :eek:
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 February 2015, 00:45:48 by xxghostxx »
Ducky shine 2(9008)-orange back lit ,MX Cherry brown

Offline tbc

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 01:42:25 »
so...was your top fan pushing or pulling?

xD
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 02:34:01 »
aye.. i shed a single tear as i finished reading this glorious tale about facing hardships and overcoming adversities. your deed will be immortalized in books and movies, your descendants will be singing songs of your triumph to centuries to come

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 04:09:10 »
Congratulations on the happy ending!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 05:43:08 »

This is why my computer is FAR away from liquid..

If pew-pew died.. I would epic h8 lyf, and kill myself..

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 05:54:31 »
I am not so worried about the machine as I am about the data that is on the drives.
🍉

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 07:50:51 »

was your top fan pushing or pulling?

This.

Heat rises, a top fan should be blowing up.

I have half a dozen fans and I am careful about flow.
"Cohen has been described as a “fixer,” a guy who gets things done, who cleans up messes and who calms the waters in a crisis. But mostly, it seems that Cohen was a lackey.
He wasn’t someone telling Trump hard truths to make sure that he was protected. Cohen was the guy who simply wanted to make sure that Trump was placated. He wanted the boss to be happy. Cohen wasn’t using his clout or connections to turn the tide in Trump’s favor.
He was just another person whose ambitions and self-worth had become intertwined with Trump, someone who as federal investigators closed in on him, as he lied and then lied some more, he had to be reminded by his wife, his daughter and his son that Trump was neither his salvation, nor was he someone worth saving." 2024-05-14 comment

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 07:54:37 »

This.

I am against having FLOW..

Open chassis runs cooler and more quiet..

Most cases will resonate and Hum when closed, even with low rpm fans..

But with the case open, they could be tuned for Dead silence.

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 08:58:14 »
And lo, he put his PC upon his desk, and set no liquids above it.

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 09:09:08 »

This.

My CaseLabs Mercury S5 has 2 Noctua NF-S12A fans pulling air in the front of the case, and 2 Noctua NF-F12s pushing air out through the radiator at the top of the case. When I first installed the Noctua fans the damn thing was so quiet I found myself checking to make sure the fans were working. 

Now that I put a gtx 970 in it to replace my 680 nothing in the computer makes a sound 95% of the time.. the video card's fans don't even turn on unless the card gets over 50c

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 16:15:29 »

This.

My CaseLabs Mercury S5 has 2 Noctua NF-S12A fans pulling air in the front of the case, and 2 Noctua NF-F12s pushing air out through the radiator at the top of the case. When I first installed the Noctua fans the damn thing was so quiet I found myself checking to make sure the fans were working. 

Now that I put a gtx 970 in it to replace my 680 nothing in the computer makes a sound 95% of the time.. the video card's fans don't even turn on unless the card gets over 50c

I got a Seasonic Platinum PSU the other day, same deal. The fan wont kick in until it reaches a certain load. Improved the silence greatly.

#Seasoniclove

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 16:32:07 »
I am curious as to what your computer specs are tp?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 17:42:06 »
I am curious as to what your computer specs are tp?

i got so many..

basically everything from sandy and above are still in daily..

2500k,2600k, 3770k, 4770k,

My oldest cpus still running are in my 2 servers each with quad x7460

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 19:10:00 »

This.

dust :(

and I used to get electricity shortage on the motherboard with open case due to a bug perch on it
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 19:11:03 »
Der... yea the noctuas are def good fans.. even though I don't think they provide much pressure.

they're indeed very quiet..

The special thing about noctua is their drive circuit which doesn't whine or click like some other fans when undervolting..

In a maximally silent environment, things like coil whine and bearing noise can actually be the most noisy thing.. hahaha

But this is pushing the envelope on silence..  it's generally just an excursion, because ultimately if you prize silence, memory foam earplugs are cheaper and 100x more effective..

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 21:38:35 »
Congratulations on that happy ending! :thumb:

One of my former co-workers spilled coffee on her laptop and it still worked after drying it out.  Funny thing is that when the laptop would start running hot, it would smell like coffee. :))

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 21:48:38 »
Congratulations on that happy ending! :thumb:

One of my former co-workers spilled coffee on her laptop and it still worked after drying it out.  Funny thing is that when the laptop would start running hot, it would smell like coffee. :))

That's why I lubricated my laptop fan with johnson johnson baby oil..

It smells great.. all the time.. even when slightly warm..

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 14 February 2015, 17:12:42 »
Thanks for all the comments. I'll take my working PC as an early Valentines Day gift. The thing is I have two places for top fans as I have the hafx 942 but only one installed (back one) and it pushes air up. Most of the liquid hit the area without the top fan. However it was the immediate shut down and gurgling electric death that concerned me. I had to go in between small areas with a paper towel inside my motherboard and I was worried about that and my video card. I think they took the most hits as well as my power supply cords. Only a little was found in the hard drive area. I kinda now wish I would have taken pictures but I was in no mind frame to do so :P
Needless to say my drinks are on my left side floor or left side table where it can fall on the floor, or not in the room for that matter. 

And for those of you that happen to see my set up with all the plastic on it, ya it's gone, you may rejoice.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 14 February 2015, 17:15:10 »
Also, waiting many hours or multiple days can be a good idea.

And, things dry faster outside if there is a breeze and it is not raining.
"Cohen has been described as a “fixer,” a guy who gets things done, who cleans up messes and who calms the waters in a crisis. But mostly, it seems that Cohen was a lackey.
He wasn’t someone telling Trump hard truths to make sure that he was protected. Cohen was the guy who simply wanted to make sure that Trump was placated. He wanted the boss to be happy. Cohen wasn’t using his clout or connections to turn the tide in Trump’s favor.
He was just another person whose ambitions and self-worth had become intertwined with Trump, someone who as federal investigators closed in on him, as he lied and then lied some more, he had to be reminded by his wife, his daughter and his son that Trump was neither his salvation, nor was he someone worth saving." 2024-05-14 comment