Author Topic: Ducky Secret Mouse (PBT) -- Impressions & Comparison w/ Deathadder BE  (Read 33910 times)

Offline Hypersphere

My all-time favorite mouse for the past few years has been the Razer Deathadder Black Edition (DA BE). I am not a gamer; I use a mouse for general computing and for computational molecular modeling.

I like the DA BE mouse for several reasons:

+ Extremely comfortable with my palm grip.
+ Smooth yet non-slippery surface that maintains a fairly dry (and warm) feel even with prolonged use.
+ No knobbly rubber side grips.
+ No LEDs.
+ Simple, with only 5 buttons.
+ Easy to click switches, including the scroll wheel.
+ Stepped (notched) scroll wheel that is smooth and quiet.
+ Optical sensor with up to 3500 dpi.

Just about the only thing I do not like about the DA BE is the Synapse software. I have not found it necessary to install the software, but from time to time it nags to be installed.

The DA BE is still going strong, but the contact points on the shell have become somewhat rough and discolored, and if the mouse should fail, this particular model is no longer in production. Although it can still be found on Amazon in dwindling quantities from some Asian vendors, the prices are quite high. Razer's newest models of the Deathadder line have added LEDs and textured rubber side grips -- features i do not want. Therefore, I have started looking at potential replacements. The new Ducky "Secret Mouse" caught my eye, in particular because it appears to be the first mouse with an outer shell made of PBT plastic, which would be expected to give the mouse a dry feel without resorting to some sort of rubberized coating.

I purchased the Ducky Secret Mouse from Mechanicalkeyboards.com (MK) for $68.00 shipped (to continental USA). It is currently bundled with a 800 x 250 x 3 mm Ducky Flipper Mouse Pad. I like oversized mouse mats like this one, but I do not need one at the moment, and I would have preferred to have the option to buy the mouse without the bundled mouse pad.

Some things I like about the Ducky Secret Mouse:

+ Comfortable with a palm grip (but not quite as comfortable as the DA BE).
+ PBT shell -- feels dry (although cold) with just a bit of texture; no need for a rubberized coating.
+ Omron switches that are fairly easy to press and with an audible click.
+ ALPS encoder scroll wheel with notches that is smooth to operate.
+ All settings (e.g., DPI and LEDs) are carried out with a bottom switch in conjunction with top switches.
+ Opens with non-hidden screws.
+ Extras: screws, teflon feet, and 11g weight.
+ Optical sensor (Pixart PMW3310DH) with up to 5000 dpi.

Features I could do without but that seem to be sought after by at least some gamers include tunable LEDs, adjustable weights, surface material adjustment, selectable USB polling rate, and switchable angle snapping.

The switch clicks are a bit louder than those from the DA BE. The scroll wheel is smooth and easy to click, and scrolling by pulling the wheel toward the user is quiet, but scrolling in the opposite direction by pushing the wheel away from the user often results in a chattering sound.

I also found that it was difficult to press the front side switch without activating the left click switch. In addition, although I like the smooth dry feel of the PBT body, I found that when I picked up the mouse, my thumb would slip upward. The side switches stop the thumb, but gamers who are lifting the mouse during play would probably want a rubberized grip in the thumb area.

Generally, I liked the Ducky Secret Mouse. However, there were two things I did not like that I hope the company will correct with future versions:

- Prominent Ducky branding on the rear of the mouse. The brand is not illuminated; it is apparently printed, but I do not know the printing method.

- The LED window on the right side of the mouse is a strip of non-PBT translucent plastic that feels clammy to the touch.

My ring finger rests on the translucent strip of non-PBT plastic, and when I first used the mouse, I thought that there was something sticky like label adhesive on the mouse. It was hard to believe that Ducky would have gone to the trouble and expense of making the mouse out of PBT and then adding a strip of non-PBT plastic where it could come into contact with the hand.

Overall, the Ducky Secret Mouse was a good first effort from a company perhaps best known for its mechanical keyboards and keycap sets. I especially admire Ducky for choosing to produce a PBT mouse. If they were to correct some of the issues noted above, they could have a real winner. As it stands, it appears that the Ducky Secret Mouse will not be the one to replace my Deathadder Black Edition (if it ever wears out). Other mice that I am considering include the Mionix Naos 7000, Mionix Castor, and Zowie EC1-A 2016 version. I am also considering the current versions of the Razer Deathadder, despite the fact that they have chosen to put textured rubber side grips on these models. If these potential replacements do not appeal, I will probably pay the premium for one of the few remaining Razer Deathadder Black Edition mice still on the market.

Offline Bucake

Re: Ducky Secret Mouse (PBT) -- Impressions & Comparison w/ Deathadder BE
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 06:21:52 »
thanks for posting your thoughts!

after reading, i fear the strip of translucent plastic might annoy me too much to enjoy the mouse, since that's where i typically place my ring-finger.
i'm a little bit sad that there isn't a non-LED version that does not have these translucent strips..
and considering my grip, i wonder if the printed ducky logo would annoy my palm..

but yeah, again thanks for sharing your thoughts, i've been looking for impressions since its release :)
cheers
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline BLaZe

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 06:40:38 »
Thank you for this review. My deathadder 2013 has currently some problems with the wheel and the left click (double click while I'm only clicking once, quite annoying). I've been wondering to buy this mouse or a Zowie, but I think I will go with the zowie since the sticky plastic seems a bit problematic.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 20:58:39 »
thanks for posting your thoughts!

after reading, i fear the strip of translucent plastic might annoy me too much to enjoy the mouse, since that's where i typically place my ring-finger.
i'm a little bit sad that there isn't a non-LED version that does not have these translucent strips..
and considering my grip, i wonder if the printed ducky logo would annoy my palm..

but yeah, again thanks for sharing your thoughts, i've been looking for impressions since its release :)
cheers

It's the same shape as an older Microsoft mouse which was oddly enough made out of beige PBT all those years ago.

The so-called "translucent strips" are nothing more than see through plastic which I turn off easily (hate leds for show).  Doesn't feel anymore different than the surrounding darker plastic shell hence it won't interfere with your usage.

The Ducky Logo is simply a print job on PBT hence there is no feel to it when your palm rests upon it.  Love this mouse because it's the ONLY one that resembles the older Microsoft designs with BALLS  :thumb: .

Remember those that love their Razer mice (cough, cough) will always be felching their devices non stop because in their minds, no one can displace their deformed logic when it comes to quality input devices.
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 January 2016, 21:02:10 by Elrick »

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 21:52:31 »
I'm torn between getting one of these or learning how to use a trackball...

Might get both...
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Lokomotivet

• (⌐■_■)
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 22:08:00 »
I also have a Ducky Secret, I'll share my thoughts.
Compared to the Steelseries Rival I personally think that the Secret is too heavy for me.
PBT body is neat and the whole mouse feels solid but can be a bit slippery.
The side buttons are too bulky and stiff.
No software. Everything is configured on the mouse, the downside of this is that you can't fine-tune the settings so it can be a hit or miss depending on what dpi you are used to. (Choices are: 400 / 800 / 1200 / 1600 / 2400 / 3200 / 5000 dpi)
Great look, RGB is neat.
| ISO |

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 05:32:45 »
It may feel great, but that thing looks hideous IMHO.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 09:51:19 »
Reluctantly, I have returned the Ducky Secret Mouse, and I will be returning the Roccat Kone XTD as well. The light strips on the Roccat are indeed made of a different material from that of the rest of the shell and they feel sticky to the touch.

Now I am testing the Corsair m65 and the Razer Mamba TE.

The Corsair is built on an aluminum frame with easily removed screw-in weights, and it feels very solid. The switches all work quite well and the scroll wheel is quiet. I was doubtful at first about the "sniper button" in the thumb area, but it is actually handy for zeroing in on a small area to make fine movements. If the Corsair had the form factor of the Razer, it would be a keeper.

The Mamba TE has the form factor that I like and it feels a bit more solid than the DA Chroma. However, it is not as solid as my original DA Black Edition. The scroll wheel is fairly quiet, but the side buttons sound somewhat hollow and sometimes generate a pinging sound. Up until now, I have avoided installing the Synapse software, but it was necessary with the Mamba TE in order to turn of the seizure-inducing pulsating rainbow of LEDs. To my surprise, I actually enjoyed using Synapse, which was much more intuitive and useful than the Corsair software.

It would be great if someone were to produce a mouse with the form factor of the Razer Deathadder and the solidity of the Corsair m65.

For now, it looks like I will go with the Razer Mamba TE, but I will keep looking. At the moment, I have my eye on the Gigabyte XM300 -- this looks terrific on paper, but it is apparently not yet available in the US.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5771#kf

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 16:00:10 »
Reluctantly, I have returned the Ducky Secret Mouse, and I will be returning the Roccat Kone XTD as well. The light strips on the Roccat are indeed made of a different material from that of the rest of the shell and they feel sticky to the touch.

Now I am testing the Corsair m65 and the Razer Mamba TE.

The Corsair is built on an aluminum frame with easily removed screw-in weights, and it feels very solid. The switches all work quite well and the scroll wheel is quiet. I was doubtful at first about the "sniper button" in the thumb area, but it is actually handy for zeroing in on a small area to make fine movements. If the Corsair had the form factor of the Razer, it would be a keeper.

The Mamba TE has the form factor that I like and it feels a bit more solid than the DA Chroma. However, it is not as solid as my original DA Black Edition. The scroll wheel is fairly quiet, but the side buttons sound somewhat hollow and sometimes generate a pinging sound. Up until now, I have avoided installing the Synapse software, but it was necessary with the Mamba TE in order to turn of the seizure-inducing pulsating rainbow of LEDs. To my surprise, I actually enjoyed using Synapse, which was much more intuitive and useful than the Corsair software.

It would be great if someone were to produce a mouse with the form factor of the Razer Deathadder and the solidity of the Corsair m65.

For now, it looks like I will go with the Razer Mamba TE, but I will keep looking. At the moment, I have my eye on the Gigabyte XM300 -- this looks terrific on paper, but it is apparently not yet available in the US.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5771#kf

(Attachment Link)

Corsair has an actual aluminum frame? Is it heavy?

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 17:48:36 »
Yes, the Corsair M65 RGB has an aluminum frame, and the mouse feels very solid. Here is an image of the underside. I like the fact that the weights are easily accessible and directly removable using a screwdriver or coin. The weight of the mouse with the weights is 135.5g and without the weights it is 115g.

127461-0
http://www.corsair.com/en-us/corsair-gaming-m65-rgb-laser-gaming-mouse-black

« Last Edit: Sun, 07 February 2016, 17:52:45 by Hypersphere »

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 17:51:39 »
Yes, the Corsair M65 RGB has an aluminum frame, and the mouse feels very solid. Here is an image of the underside. I like the fact that the weights are easily accessible and directly removable using a screwdriver or coin.

(Attachment Link)
http://www.corsair.com/en-us/corsair-gaming-m65-rgb-laser-gaming-mouse-black

Looks like an interesting design but a bit too "modern" for my taste (I really like the intellimouse shape).

Offline Bucake

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 23:54:01 »
it's nice that you can get the weights out without opening the entire mouse up or removing the mouse feet
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 04:59:21 »
it's nice that you can get the weights out without opening the entire mouse up or removing the mouse feet

I can imagine but for me weights == DPI.

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 05:11:10 »
It may feel great, but that thing looks hideous IMHO.

Came here to say exactly this.
Such artisan, many caps, very keyboard.

Always searching for Bro caps! 

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline Chasseur

• I'm here for the nuts
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 09:18:39 »
Yes, the Corsair M65 RGB has an aluminum frame, and the mouse feels very solid...

At the risk of bringing this thread off topic, I would warn people living in areas with winter climates (such as Canada and the northern US) about aluminum-framed mouses. I used a Corsair M95 in an office with carpet, and I would zap myself with a static shock the first time I went to use it after getting up to walk around in the winter. That mouse did not last long...

Offline robscomputer

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 01:07:14 »
Just received the Ducky mouse last week and it's very nice, the PBT touch feels dry as mentioned which I prefer. Most of my old mouses (mice?) don't technically break but they get that tacky rubber break down and it's near impossible to clean off without sanding the entire mouse down. A Logitech G9x is on my list of refinishing, as is another MX518.

For the mouse, it's a nice classic shape and the scroll wheel is more solid compared to other mouses. Has the nice notch feel vs the micro clicks like with other mouses. My only complaint is the adjustment of weights is a pain compared to Logitech, where it's seconds to adjust. The plus side is the mouse feels solid and perfect for my needs.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 17:43:22 »
Yes, the Corsair M65 RGB has an aluminum frame, and the mouse feels very solid...

At the risk of bringing this thread off topic, I would warn people living in areas with winter climates (such as Canada and the northern US) about aluminum-framed mouses. I used a Corsair M95 in an office with carpet, and I would zap myself with a static shock the first time I went to use it after getting up to walk around in the winter. That mouse did not last long...

Cheers for that bit of info  :) FL winters are extremely mild, but some of us generate more static electricity than others. (During the winter months I'll double tap metal handles or slap them.. it looks weird to people that don't understand but whatever)

I'm intrigued, so a PBT mouse with an updated sensor? I avoid mice with LEDs unless the LED is a dpi indicator, but it looks great regardless.
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 February 2016, 17:46:31 by csmertx »

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 09:55:52 »
Just ordered the secret yesterday so hopefully I like it. My Logitech g502 is going defective now for the scroll wheel. But is the ducky a perfect sensor?

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 08:19:09 »
Recently, I tested the Asus Gladius. I liked this one a lot, but it felt slightly sticky after a few minutes of use. It comes with a number of extras, such as two detachable cords, a carrying pouch, extra solderless switches, and extra feet, but these are things I don't need and would prefer not to pay for. I also didn't like the "Republic of Gaming" included in the logo, although this is quite muted when the red LED is turned off.

Currently, I am using the Steelseries Rival 300. It suits my palm grip, and the rubberized surface and side grips have an excellent feel. The notched scroll wheel is quiet, and overall the mouse feels solid. Some slight negatives: the switches are somewhat louder than they are on some mice I've tested, the cord is rubber rather than braided, and I am not fond of the SS logo, which seems prominent even when the logo LEDs are turned off. On balance, the Rival 300 is my favorite after testing a dozen or so mice.

I have one more mouse on the way: the Gigabyte XM300.

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 09:06:08 »
The most comfortable I've used has definitely been the RAT series of mice. Unfortunately the firmware flat out sucks (slow polling rate means visible lag).

Have tried the m65 which I bought after getting hyped and baited with the 11k dpi or whatever they were marketing.

I owned the g9x which was comfortable for a claw grip like me but imperfect sensor.

Currently own the g502 but button placement is awkward and mouse wheel after a year is not registering correctly (though I used to unlock the mouse wheel, spin it and stop it with the lock and you can see the damage...). It's not terribly comfortable either and quite heavy but the software side is fantastic.

Tried the Naga and deathadder from Razer, both failed in 6 or less months. They felt super cheap but both were comfortable.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 11 March 2016, 15:45:28 »
We will never again relive the glory years of the MX518 :(

Offline knguyen553

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 00:45:46 »
reminds me of the microsoft intelli mouses.
HHKB Pro 2 | Realforce 87U 55g | SHTF: Cherry MX 7.62x39

Offline Bucake

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 02:21:14 »
i still have and use those old school mice. but the G400 in stead of the MX518.
i also still have a IMO and a WMO. the IMO shape is not for me, but i still use the WMO sometimes.
they're all still great mice, as long as you don't need high cpi or a lot of buttons :-)

i miss my IME3.0, i threw it out a long while ago because of a double-clicking issue on M1, back then i had no clue it could be repaired (or replaced) :-(

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 04:43:13 »
Compared to the Steelseries Rival I personally think that the Secret is too heavy for me.
No software. Everything is configured on the mouse, the downside of this is that you can't fine-tune the settings so it can be a hit or miss depending on what dpi you are used to. (Choices are: 400 / 800 / 1200 / 1600 / 2400 / 3200 / 5000 dpi)
Great look, RGB is neat.

What do you mean with "slippery"?

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 04:44:47 »
Seems like there is still nothing to top the Avior in terms of shape / feel. Why the HELL ruin it with those led strips?

Offline Lokomotivet

• (⌐■_■)
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 06:06:05 »

The PBT material/surface is not matte at all. Combined with the weight of the mouse it can feel slippery, meaning that it's a bit hard to keep a comfortable grip on the mouse.
| ISO |

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 08:17:53 »

The PBT material/surface is not matte at all. Combined with the weight of the mouse it can feel slippery, meaning that it's a bit hard to keep a comfortable grip on the mouse.

Hmmm.. sounds a bit anoyying. I have had the IM 3.0 in silver with this lacquer finish. It was also quite slippy. But the IM was light, so it was not so annoying after all.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 10:12:36 »
i still have and use those old school mice. but the G400 in stead of the MX518.
i also still have a IMO and a WMO. the IMO shape is not for me, but i still use the WMO sometimes.
they're all still great mice, as long as you don't need high cpi or a lot of buttons :-)

i miss my IME3.0, i threw it out a long while ago because of a double-clicking issue on M1, back then i had no clue it could be repaired (or replaced) :-(

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 10:14:00 »
Great look, RGB is neat.

They're stiff because Ducky used different side buttons vs the main clickers

THe main clickers are D2F-01F

The side buttons are D2F-01

F means light force, roughly half the non-F

What you can do though if this is bothering you,   you can buy the D2F-01F and solder them in yourself..

Offline Lokomotivet

• (⌐■_■)
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 16:26:44 »
Great look, RGB is neat.

They're stiff because Ducky used different side buttons vs the main clickers

THe main clickers are D2F-01F

The side buttons are D2F-01

F means light force, roughly half the non-F

What you can do though if this is bothering you,   you can buy the D2F-01F and solder them in yourself..

I'll just roll with my Rival.
| ISO |

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 20:48:39 »
Finally tested the Gigabyte XM300. This is the least expensive of the dozen or so mice I've tried. It is okay overall, but it has a slightly noisy scroll wheel and the surface feels sticky after briefly using the mouse. One thing I appreciated is that at least part of the lighting on this mouse is actually functional -- there are four bars on the front left that sequentially illuminate to display the DPI setting.

Overall results: first place goes to the SS Rival 300. I like almost everything about this mouse except for the illuminated logo. It has the right size and shape for my palm grip, and the rubberized surface stays fairly dry even with prolonged use. It has a decent amount of heft, but the glide is extremely smooth and effortless. The switches are well-placed and responsive. The scroll wheel is quiet, and the middle click is reasonably easy to execute. The side buttons are slightly noisier than those on other mice I've tried, but not enough to be a deal-breaker.

Second place goes to the Razer Mamba Tournament Edition. To my eye, this is the most attractive mouse of the bunch, although the lighting, as on most contemporary gaming mice, is superfluous. It has a size, shape, and weight that I like, and the surface does not get overtly sticky with use, although it does not stay as dry as the Rival 300. The switches are sensitive and quiet, but when the front side button is touched or brushed against, it makes a hollow sound that makes the construction of the mouse seem cheap. The scroll wheel is quiet, and it is the only one in my roundup that featured horizonal as well as vertical scrolling. The Mamba TE is also the only mouse in this group with a laser sensor rather than an optical sensor -- as a non-gamer, this does not trouble me, but it seems that many gamers prefer an optical sensor.

Offline oumakavoula

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 14:08:41 »
is there any other mouse that uses pbt ?

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 15 October 2016, 02:31:34 »
I have no confirmation, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the Logitech G403 and G Pro may be PBT shells. They don't feel like any of my other ABS shelled mice, they feel much more like the PBT surfaces of my keycaps (especially the RealForce keys). Also, I have sweaty af hands, and after two weeks of using them, I haven't experienced any slippery-ness.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 15 October 2016, 02:39:27 »
New Ducky Secret sighting. (Secret M RGB) Still pixart. Still pbt. Whatcha' think?

edit - I think the Secret M is dbl-shot PBT
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 October 2016, 02:42:04 by csmertx »

Offline Bucake

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 15 October 2016, 07:18:56 »
nah, the G403 shell isn't made of PBT:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1595573/logitech-g900-chaos-spectrum-announced/200#post_25020579
they stepped their coating game up at a certain point :-)

yeah that ducky mouse sounds good. it's just a shame it's not using the newer 3360 sensor, would've completed it

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 15 October 2016, 12:25:27 »
nah, the G403 shell isn't made of PBT:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1595573/logitech-g900-chaos-spectrum-announced/200#post_25020579
they stepped their coating game up at a certain point :-)

yeah that ducky mouse sounds good. it's just a shame it's not using the newer 3360 sensor, would've completed it

Thanks for the link, TIL. Well, whatever they're doing to the new G series mice, my 403 and Pro are the best feeling coatings in a mouse I've ever used.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 15 October 2016, 22:19:05 »
you're not the only one who feels that way. myself, i only own the G303 of their newer "G mice", but that top- and button coating are just great in my opinion.
i'm under the impression they are using something that's very resistant to acid, so i'd be surprised to see them start showing signs of wear any time soon. though in the case of the G303, the sides seem to be regular textured ABS :-(
i might get and try the G403 since it looks incredibly comfortable, texture-wise.

Offline rabbitfire

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 26 December 2016, 04:53:18 »
My all-time favorite mouse for the past few years has been the Razer Deathadder Black Edition (DA BE). I am not a gamer; I use a mouse for general computing and for computational molecular modeling.

(Attachment Link)

I like the DA BE mouse for several reasons:

+ Extremely comfortable with my palm grip.
+ Smooth yet non-slippery surface that maintains a fairly dry (and warm) feel even with prolonged use.
+ No LEDs.
+ Easy to click switches, including the scroll wheel.
+ Stepped (notched) scroll wheel that is smooth and quiet.
+ Optical sensor with up to 3500 dpi.

Just about the only thing I do not like about the DA BE is the Synapse software. I have not found it necessary to install the software, but from time to time it nags to be installed.

The DA BE is still going strong, but the contact points on the shell have become somewhat rough and discolored, and if the mouse should fail, this particular model is no longer in production. Although it can still be found on Amazon in dwindling quantities from some Asian vendors, the prices are quite high. Razer's newest models of the Deathadder line have added LEDs and textured rubber side grips -- features i do not want. Therefore, I have started looking at potential replacements. The new Ducky "Secret Mouse" caught my eye, in particular because it appears to be the first mouse with an outer shell made of PBT plastic, which would be expected to give the mouse a dry feel without resorting to some sort of rubberized coating.

I purchased the Ducky Secret Mouse from Mechanicalkeyboards.com (MK) for $68.00 shipped (to continental USA). It is currently bundled with a 800 x 250 x 3 mm Ducky Flipper Mouse Pad. I like oversized mouse mats like this one, but I do not need one at the moment, and I would have preferred to have the option to buy the mouse without the bundled mouse pad.

Some things I like about the Ducky Secret Mouse:

+ Comfortable with a palm grip (but not quite as comfortable as the DA BE).
+ PBT shell -- feels dry (although cold) with just a bit of texture; no need for a rubberized coating.
+ Omron switches that are fairly easy to press and with an audible click.
+ ALPS encoder scroll wheel with notches that is smooth to operate.
+ All settings (e.g., DPI and LEDs) are carried out with a bottom switch in conjunction with top switches.
+ Opens with non-hidden screws.
+ Extras: screws, teflon feet, and 11g weight.
+ Optical sensor (Pixart PMW3310DH) with up to 5000 dpi.

Features I could do without but that seem to be sought after by at least some gamers include tunable LEDs, adjustable weights, surface material adjustment, selectable USB polling rate, and switchable angle snapping.

The switch clicks are a bit louder than those from the DA BE. The scroll wheel is smooth and easy to click, and scrolling by pulling the wheel toward the user is quiet, but scrolling in the opposite direction by pushing the wheel away from the user often results in a chattering sound.

I also found that it was difficult to press the front side switch without activating the left click switch. In addition, although I like the smooth dry feel of the PBT body, I found that when I picked up the mouse, my thumb would slip upward. The side switches stop the thumb, but gamers who are lifting the mouse during play would probably want a rubberized grip in the thumb area.

Generally, I liked the Ducky Secret Mouse. However, there were two things I did not like that I hope the company will correct with future versions:

- Prominent Ducky branding on the rear of the mouse. The brand is not illuminated; it is apparently printed, but I do not know the printing method.

(Attachment Link)

- The LED window on the right side of the mouse is a strip of non-PBT translucent plastic that feels clammy to the touch.

(Attachment Link)

My ring finger rests on the translucent strip of non-PBT plastic, and when I first used the mouse, I thought that there was something sticky like label adhesive on the mouse. It was hard to believe that Ducky would have gone to the trouble and expense of making the mouse out of PBT and then adding a strip of non-PBT plastic where it could come into contact with the hand.

Overall, the Ducky Secret Mouse was a good first effort from a company perhaps best known for its mechanical keyboards and keycap sets. I especially admire Ducky for choosing to produce a PBT mouse. If they were to correct some of the issues noted above, they could have a real winner. As it stands, it appears that the Ducky Secret Mouse will not be the one to replace my Deathadder Black Edition (if it ever wears out). Other mice that I am considering include the Mionix Naos 7000, Mionix Castor, and Zowie EC1-A 2016 version. I am also considering the current versions of the Razer Deathadder, despite the fact that they have chosen to put textured rubber side grips on these models. If these potential replacements do not appeal, I will probably pay the premium for one of the few remaining Razer Deathadder Black Edition mice still on the market.

Thanks for detailed review!  :thumb:

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 27 January 2017, 09:54:42 »

<snip> ....

Thanks for detailed review!  :thumb:

You are welcome -- thanks for the thumb up!

UPDATE: It has been over a year since posting my review of the Ducky Secret mouse. During this time, I have tested the following 15 mice (alphabetical order):

Asus Gladius
Corsair M65
Cougar 550M
Ducky Secret Mouse
Gigabyte XM300
Kensington Pro Fit Full-Size
Mionix Castor
Mionix Naos 7000
Razer DA Black
Razer DA Chroma
Razer Mamba TE
Roccat Kone XTD
SS Rival 300 (Still my favorite)
Thermaltake Ventus X
Zowie EC1-A

There are some excellent mice in this roundup, but thus far my favorite is still the Steelseries Rival 300.

Note that Ducky has introduced another mouse, the Ducky Secret M. It appears that the main difference between the Secret and the Secret M is that the Secret M is smaller and lighter than the original secret.

Ducky Secret:  69 x 124.5 x 38 mm; 120 g (+ 6 to 11 g extra weights).

Ducky Secret M: 64.6 x 117.3 x 37 mm; 93.5 g (no mention of extra weights in the specs).

I haven't tried the new Ducky Secret M, but given the fact that I prefer to use mice that are on the larger and heavier end of the scale, I doubt that I would prefer it to the original Secret Mouse or that it would displace my current favorite, the SS Rival 300.

Offline Ciemnika

« Reply #39 on: Sun, 29 January 2017, 10:21:45 »
I have a Ducky Secret, and I've had it a little over a year. In my estimation, the mouse itself is quite good, however, there's something I haven't really seen discussed anywhere: its cord. The Secret has what is quite likely the worst cord I've ever seen on an electronic device. It has two key problems, one of which was immediately apparent, and one of which only was exposed when my cat chewed it.

Problem one: the covering on the cable is very rubbery and grippy. It hangs on everything. It may get caught on air. It feels approximately like a pencil eraser. Seriously.

Problem two: the internal wires of the cord are as fine as gossamer. They're a finer gauge than most phone / ethernet cables I have opened up. My cat chewed through the cable, and I decided to repair the cable. When I cut away the damaged area and began stripping, all the internal cords immediately broke. I've worked on electronics, and I've been soldering guitars and amps and things for about twenty years. I am not at all new to working with small electronic parts. It took me three or four attempts to repair the cord. It's probably not important to be able to repair the cord, but the experience of doing so convinced me that this mouse's cord is not one that will withstand much wear and tear. I would expect that traveling with this mouse and frequently wrapping or storing its cord would lead to a very short lifespan.

Anyway, the mouse is solid in my experience, but I'm really sour on the way that they handled the cord, given the rest of the mouse is so good.