Author Topic: Proof  (Read 5039 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Proof
« on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 12:02:33 »
That at 1-point in Time, Tp4 had Friends..

Found these in the basement.

Arguably one of the Best controllers ever made.

147216-0

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
Re: Proof
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 12:09:24 »
At one point in time Tp4 didn't know that you had to replace batteries in a controller, so he would go out and buy new ones when it would "stop working."

$80 later and his mother finally caught on.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 12:24:03 »
I've long campaigned that the N64 controller was the comfiest but these do look good...
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 12:38:10 »
I've long campaigned that the N64 controller was the comfiest but these do look good...

nah, gamecube controller best controller
« Last Edit: Fri, 02 September 2016, 12:43:33 by Computer-Lab in Basement »
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 12:39:26 »

Please. N64 is one of the un-comfiest controllers out there. That's why Hori had to make a better version.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 12:50:00 »

Please. N64 is one of the un-comfiest controllers out there. That's why Hori had to make a better version.

I guess we have very different hands :p

I liked the colour, think it was slightly small but can't really remember it - can't have been too bad.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 12:51:12 »
Gamecube, WORST controller..   Designed by Japanese Meth addicts..

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 12:51:17 »

It's good, but the d-pad is absolutely awful. Original DualShock and Classic Controller Pro are my favorite.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 12:53:48 »
I'm gonna have to agree with tp on this one

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 12:54:26 »

It's good, but the d-pad is absolutely awful. Original DualShock and Classic Controller Pro are my favorite.

That's the main advantage of this Logitech Xbox Precision Controller,  It has one of the best D pad implementations ever conceived..   

Got to feel it to berieve..  it's super good for them Circles..

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 12:56:49 »

That's the main advantage of this Logitech Xbox Precision Controller,  It has one of the best D pad implementations ever conceived..   

Got to feel it to berieve..  it's super good for them Circles..

Can't hate it unless I've tried it!  :p
Can it be hooked up to a PC?

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 15:13:02 »
Let's face it, none of Nintendo's controllers have been very good. In fact the spectrum ranges from ugly but functional to hideous and causes physical pain to the user.

This is still the best base controller to come with a console:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 15:13:32 »

Can't hate it unless I've tried it!  :p
Can it be hooked up to a PC?

Yes, it works through PC, just need to splice the wireless Receiver with USB cable, then install the xbcd drivers..  the driver can also emulated Xbox 360 controller.. So it works with all modern games.

Offline Ir0n

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 16:47:23 »
For older games I like the saturn controller.. the D-pad on a saturn controller is like butter.  <3

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 17:30:01 »
controller << keyboard

(except for racing)
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline emdude

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 17:33:44 »
controller << keyboard

(except for racing)

Or arcade games (or any game with relatively simple control schemes).
Current drivers: IBM Model M SSK

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 17:49:43 »

I concur. Those long middle handles were the best. The creation of triggers = the best.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 17:50:49 »

I concur. Those long middle handles were the best. The creation of triggers = the best.

N64 controllers were only comfortable as kids..

As an adult, you have to put your hands together way too closely to use the middle.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 18:23:11 »
If the N64 controller was a North Korean baby it would have been immediately drowned. Better only next to maybe the Atari Jaguar controller.

The Saturn controller is pretty nice but I get finger fatigue from the d pad after about half an hour.

I really believe Microsoft nailed it with the 360 controller design. They very heavily researched community feedback when designing the first Xbox controller, and improved on all it's faults. I think the bog standard Xbox One controller is a bit of a step backwards. The Elite on the other hand is probably the best controller I've ever used in my life, $150 though...

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 18:32:09 »
controller << keyboard

(except for racing)

I'd use a keyboard for that. Much faster response times.

The only time I'd use a controller is for analog input, which I'd probably only use for driving games. Other than that a controller is massively inferior. So much so that they've dumbed down the last 10 or so years of video games to the absolute rock-bottom lowest denominator just to cater to controller people.

Offline emdude

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 18:41:22 »
controller << keyboard

(except for racing)

The only time I'd use a controller is for analog input, which I'd probably only use for driving games. Other than that a controller is massively inferior. So much so that they've dumbed down the last 10 or so years of video games to the absolute rock-bottom lowest denominator just to cater to controller people.

That's a good point, that controllers are best for analog input.  I'd say those sort of games aren't limited to just driving games.  Flight games, platformers, etc. I feel are best enjoyed with controllers.  On the other hand, FPS, RTS, simulation games, games that require very precise control or have complicated control schemes, those are pretty much keyboard/mouse-only.

Aren't you a fan of Super Meat Boy too?  That game was designed to be played with a controller. :p

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 18:54:05 »
controller << keyboard

(except for racing)

That's a good point, that controllers are best for analog input.  I'd say those sort of games aren't limited to just driving games.  Flight games, platformers, etc. I feel are best enjoyed with controllers.  On the other hand, FPS, RTS, simulation games, games that require very precise control or have complicated control schemes, those are pretty much keyboard/mouse-only.

Aren't you a fan of Super Meat Boy too?  That game was designed to be played with a controller. :p

Super meatboy honestly requires a CRT as well..

Offline emdude

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 19:00:22 »
controller << keyboard

(except for racing)

Super meatboy honestly requires a CRT as well..

That would have been pretty neat, I think some games had filters to add a faux-CRT scanline effect.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 19:01:48 »

That would have been pretty neat, I think some games had filters to add a faux-CRT scanline effect.

scanline isn't the problem,,  LCD is too blurry for super meat boy

Offline emdude

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 19:08:22 »

Could you elaborate?  My memories of CRTs are a bit blurry at this point, but I thought it was the other way around:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 19:28:52 »

Could you elaborate?  My memories of CRTs are a bit blurry at this point, but I thought it was the other way around:

Show Image

No, LCD is clear for static images, but they are extremely blurry for images IN MOTION..

Which is why they make the Lightboost (ULMB) lcds for gaming..  Still not as good as CRT,  but it's much better than standard lcd.

http://www.blurbusters.com/faq/60vs120vslb/

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 03 September 2016, 04:07:20 »
controller << keyboard

(except for racing)

Yup, I definitely am! But I still play it with a keyboard — I'm not letting myself be bullied out of a good game :p .

It's not like I never tried, either. I used to play Mario Kart 64 with my friends, but I still did much better with a keyboard in that game because it didn't require much analog input. Rocket League, which I play with some friends nowadays, would profit from that much more. Also, I used to own an xbox with a bunch of fighting games, but controllers are VASTLY inferior for those. You can rack up combos so much easier when you're not limited to using just your thumbs.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 03 September 2016, 04:40:01 »
Half the posters I've seen elsewhere who considered the Nintendo 64 controller uncomfy held it like this (they admitted this themselves):

I will say that the grooves in the buttons after prolonged sessions wasn't the best for one's fingers but the layout was superb when held correctly. Dualshock 4 is my current PC controller and it's the first and only Dualshock I've ever liked (all the others strained my thumbs). Really nice feel to it.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 03 September 2016, 09:11:17 »
Half the posters I've seen elsewhere who considered the Nintendo 64 controller uncomfy held it like this (they admitted this themselves):

Show Image

I will say that the grooves in the buttons after prolonged sessions wasn't the best for one's fingers but the layout was superb when held correctly. Dualshock 4 is my current PC controller and it's the first and only Dualshock I've ever liked (all the others strained my thumbs). Really nice feel to it.

I've never seen anyone hold the N64 controller like that.
But we were kids and the hands wouldn't reach that far.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 03 September 2016, 15:28:21 »
I used a few joysticks/gamepads before I tried an N64 controller. Why was the joystick guide faceted? WHY?! I liked the controller design but I hated that middle joystick

edit -
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 September 2016, 15:31:44 by csmertx »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 03 September 2016, 21:50:51 »
Also,  the PS2/3/4 dpad,  why haven't they advanced this,  half circles/ quarter circles are very unreliable on those pads..

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 04 September 2016, 01:26:25 »
I liked the original Xbox controller. The huge one.

But I also like the original NES controller. So square and comfy.

That NES Advantage controller, though...
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline emdude

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 04 September 2016, 01:56:58 »
It's not like I never tried, either. I used to play Mario Kart 64 with my friends, but I still did much better with a keyboard in that game because it didn't require much analog input. Rocket League, which I play with some friends nowadays, would profit from that much more. Also, I used to own an xbox with a bunch of fighting games, but controllers are VASTLY inferior for those. You can rack up combos so much easier when you're not limited to using just your thumbs.

That's true, I don't think dedicated fighting game players would want to bother with controllers either, they probably prefer specialized arcade-style ones like these:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 04 September 2016, 05:16:06 »
My first ever USB peripheral was a game controller.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 04 September 2016, 09:32:43 »
My first ever USB peripheral was a game controller.

Tp4 first usb peripheral was a Printer..

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 04 September 2016, 10:15:54 »
USB Printer > Parallel Port Printer

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 04 September 2016, 10:35:07 »

You'd think that,  but when it first came out,  drivers were wonky

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #37 on: Sun, 04 September 2016, 10:40:11 »

You'd think that,  but when it first came out,  drivers were wonky

I was there. My younger scruffy looking nerf-herder self found random printers that were parallel and USB, but I always had more luck with finding and installing USB drivers

Offline ANightOnCloudNine

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 06 September 2016, 18:31:40 »
gamecube is the comfiest controller i tried and the original xbox mad catz custom controller is the uncomfiest

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 06 September 2016, 19:07:07 »
I can't understand why they don't give us an 8 button dpad..