Author Topic: White fox vs. K-type?  (Read 3106 times)

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
White fox vs. K-type?
« on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 20:40:42 »
Any discussion on which one is superior?

I am thinking about picking up a white fox but I already have K type. Dilemma.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: White fox vs. K-type?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 20:53:50 »
Any discussion on which one is superior?

I am thinking about picking up a white fox but I already have K type. Dilemma.

Subjective, but the K-type comes with the halo switches, and I know people like those.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 21:22:35 »
This is GeekHack.  You're supposed to buy them both, then set them aside when something new strikes your fancy.

Offline llisandro

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 21:35:25 »
What I wouldn't give for a Nightfox with Kailh hotswap sockets...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 21:35:36 »
They're pretty different boards.  For me the number one thing that made me get a K-Type was the hot-swappable switches, which the WhiteFox obviously doesn't have.  Yeah there are a few other boards out there with hot-swappable switches, but not with (quality control issues aside) high-quality aluminum construction, etc.  It has become my go-to keyboard because I'm using it to try out as many different switches as I can.  Trying them out in a real typing scenario I mean, not just with a tester or something (which I don't find that valuable).

The WhiteFox looks like a nice, smaller form-factor keyboard that doesn't have Massdrop involved so hopefully shouldn't have the same QC issues.  But of course it's never going to fill that glorified switch tester (in a good way) role the way the K-Type can.

Honestly with better stabilizers, better keycaps, and some praying that you don't get some of the random problems with these boards that have popped up the K-Type can be a damn fine keyboard.  But that's a lot of conditions on top of an already expensive board that make it hard to recommend.  But then that doesn't really apply to you since you already have one.

The question is, what are you unsatisfied with about the K-Type?  Most of its issues can be fixed with a little work.  Unless you really just want the smaller form factor, in which case sure, get both.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 29 January 2018, 01:33:04 »
This is GeekHack.  You're supposed to buy them both, then set them aside when something new strikes your fancy.

Yup.. Keyboards go on the Shelf.. They are not used.. !!

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 29 January 2018, 02:00:12 »
I would hold off until they get the firmware for the K-type a bit more updated. I am not sure whats going on but its been since like December 9th since the last release. There still some serious bugs plaguing the lighting. There the one bug that when you try to adjust the brightness of the LED's it turns them red/pink then off. Thats been around since its release in like October. Thats kinda  huge deal since your stuck with full bright at all times. Also the lack of updates kinda doesn't bode well to me. I don't wan't to hear about the holiday's typically I agree but the fact they have had time to run a bunch of different buy's mean's they had time to finish off a already existing project. As far as I am concerned its not a Massdrop issue. Massdrop didn't write the firmware input club did. They also put there name on the board's

The other thing is there quality control might be as questionable as Massdrop's. People where reporting on Reddit that the Lime group buy they where a part of and input club help host came with a number of damaged/cracked/scuffed key's. Given if this is true of the entire group buy or even just handle full. Begs the question of why wasn't it handled before being sent out to the customer. I mean the pictures I seen its pretty obvious the keys where not up to standard. They where not even grab bag worthy some of them. That had very visible damage to the tops of them.

Yea I hold off not a popular opinion but a honest one. I am wanting a whitefox my self but gotta see how things go a bit longer and if they improve before I go jumping in feet first.