Author Topic: MX Reds fatiguing for typing?  (Read 4465 times)

Offline Kavik

MX Reds fatiguing for typing?
« on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 16:57:18 »
Does anyone else find typing on MX Reds fatiguing? I brought my QF TK with reds to work today for a change of pace, and my hands are getting pretty tired. I even have o-rings on them to reduce the travel. I normally use a Model M or Matias V80 at work, so I find it weird that buckling springs don't tire my hands but reds do. I used MX Blues at work for about 3 years beforehand without issue.

Anyone else feel this way or know why? All I can think of is 1. angle of the board or 2. my hands have to float a bit more on the keys since they are lighter and not tactile.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: MX Reds fatiguing for typing?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 16:59:06 »
I would say it's the floating and trying to restrain your fingers from typing as hard as you usually would on heavier switches.

Offline msilvv

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 17:02:56 »
It's definitely more fatiguing for me to float on reds than it is for me to float on blacks or not bottom out on MOD-Hs or Zealios

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Offline need

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 17:07:21 »
you typed too hard

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 17:08:52 »
If the angle is the same as all the other keyboards you use and the keycaps aren't higher than usual I don't see why they would be. Your hands floating height  perhaps because I don't think it is the keyboard. I have typed on buckling springs, browns, blues, reds (currently own one) and I don't think they are any more fatiguing than others.

Then again I bottom out purposefully on every keyboard I type on. Reds are awesome for typing so something else aside from the keyboard is the culprit here.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 20:18:27 »
Mayyyybe you walked the dog a little too hard last night... annnnnnnnnddddd the hand has not fully recovered..

hahhahaahahhahahahahahahahahahahahaa

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 20:20:12 »
According to our the Heroic user -- HighPlainsDrafter --,   he recommends the hall effect keyboard on massdrop.. it's lighter than even reds.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 20:21:37 »
According to our the Heroic user -- HighPlainsDrafter --,   he recommends the hall effect keyboard on massdrop.. it's lighter than even reds.

:eek: :p :))
keyboards.

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 20:28:43 »

and one will bottom-out even harder, resulting in worse fatigue  :eek:

you typed too hard

word

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 20:31:07 »
You are bottoming out on them too hard. A light switch like this might not be ideal for you.

Try a board with Montereys perhaps? I found I started to type extremely light and delicately on them.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 20:42:46 »
stop pressing so hard

i been using mx reds for years with no problems
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 20:57:06 »
stop pressing so hard

i been using mx reds for years with no problems

all lies..    where's the prooof ?? hmm?

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 21:33:24 »
When I first switched to my Gat red board, I did find it to be fatiguing after long periods of typing, but my touch definitely lightened up over time, and it feels much better. Still get some fatigue, which is why I'm building a board with Gat blacks with 67g springs. Hope that is the sweet spot.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 21:51:45 »
Thanks for the feedback.

I have used this board for about three years at home (for games and web surfing), but I don't type as much at home as at work. The fatigue is mostly in the tops of my hands (like if you type or use a mouse that is too low with a upward flexed wrist). It doesn't feel as if I'm bottoming out very hard; it actually feels as if I'm gliding over the keys more than other boards (I actually tried purposely bottoming out really hard to see the difference). After considering it further, I think it has something to do with trying harder not to press keys inadvertently possibly causing me to tense my hands or wrists.

Oh, well. It shouldn't be a long term problem. I was just tired of the clicking and needed a break for a day or so. I'll probably switch back to the Model M in a day or two.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 00:05:29 »
Thanks for the feedback.

I have used this board for about three years at home (for games and web surfing), but I don't type as much at home as at work. The fatigue is mostly in the tops of my hands (like if you type or use a mouse that is too low with a upward flexed wrist). It doesn't feel as if I'm bottoming out very hard; it actually feels as if I'm gliding over the keys more than other boards (I actually tried purposely bottoming out really hard to see the difference). After considering it further, I think it has something to do with trying harder not to press keys inadvertently possibly causing me to tense my hands or wrists.

Oh, well. It shouldn't be a long term problem. I was just tired of the clicking and needed a break for a day or so. I'll probably switch back to the Model M in a day or two.

mm..... model m and other click switches have a distinct vibrational feedback which tells your finger to STOP.

MX red doesn't have that ,  so maybe it's an issue where you're over exerting, because your technique is at a mismatch with the feedback you're getting from the switch.

But, this is definitely technique related, and not an increase in mechanical resistance/stress..

Offline opensecret

• 公开的秘密
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 00:07:38 »
This looks to me like another example of individual differences in preferences, typing style and maybe physiology.  I find buckling springs too much work, and am much happier on lighter switches.  I typed for roughly 12 hours today into tonight on Cherry browns, and my hands are fine, though the rest of me is pretty tired.   
IBM Model M |Matias Mini Quiet Pro|Plum 84EC-S|RealForce 103U-UW & 87U-UW|Omnikey Ultra T| 2 Omnikey Ultras| WASD V2| Xmit Hall Effect|

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 00:50:52 »
I can easily type on reds for hours and hours when working from home.  Blacks, however, do tire me out. 

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 01:54:50 »
I can easily type on reds for hours and hours when working from home.  Blacks, however, do tire me out. 

i tire out on clears.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 03:32:54 »
I personally do get a bit more fatigued typing on light linears than heavier tactiles. I can't say why.

I'm a weirdo I suppose. I like light tactile and clicky switches but don't mind stiffer linears.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 05:45:54 »

i tire out on clears.
Clears do that if you bottom out. So don't bottom out. :P

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 14:03:52 »
Hahaha

Offline northpark

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 08:11:07 »
Reds for me reduced fatigue.  I didn't realize how bad I was smashing browns and blues. 

Offline Targa-TV

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 11:13:15 »
After giving the custom nameless keyboard with MX Blacks to the friend who lent it to me when my Filco arrived, my finger pains reduced actually.
I don't know about buckling springs but if you are used to a tactile typing it would be natural, but not very functional, to bottom out with the linears.
Why would you need o-rings anyway? If you pay attention to when the letters are registered on the monitor, you barely need any pressure on the keys.
My fingers started to ache with the Reds when I tried Dvorak for a few days or when I come across words I'm not familiar with, since I bottom out the keys.
When I touch type the Reds are great cause I mostly brush on the keys and the letters are registered as I go along. Hope you can adjust your typing pressure cause the Reds are great for relieving fatigue IMHO.
Filco MJ2 Black - MX Red | VA88M - MX Brown | Cherry G80-3000 -
  MX Blue | Cherry G80-3000 - MX Black | XD75re - MX Silent Red

[image]http://i.imgur.com/our8YUc.png[/image]

Offline Kavik

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 13:00:10 »
After giving the custom nameless keyboard with MX Blacks to the friend who lent it to me when my Filco arrived, my finger pains reduced actually.
I don't know about buckling springs but if you are used to a tactile typing it would be natural, but not very functional, to bottom out with the linears.
Why would you need o-rings anyway? If you pay attention to when the letters are registered on the monitor, you barely need any pressure on the keys.
My fingers started to ache with the Reds when I tried Dvorak for a few days or when I come across words I'm not familiar with, since I bottom out the keys.
When I touch type the Reds are great cause I mostly brush on the keys and the letters are registered as I go along. Hope you can adjust your typing pressure cause the Reds are great for relieving fatigue IMHO.

I originally got the o-rings for a keyboard with MX Blues, but I didn't like the way it felt, so I removed them. I basically put them on the MX Red board just to try them out. I think I like reds with the o-rings more; it's forced me to get used to not pushing them down all the way, and it softens the blow if I do.

I have to say that the fatigue was less over the next few days of work. I think I just needed to get use to it. But I'm back to the buckling springs anyway since I took the QF TK home to play games.

Offline Targa-TV

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 13:10:20 »
I basically put them on the MX Red board just to try them out. I think I like reds with the o-rings more; it's forced me to get used to not pushing them down all the way, and it softens the blow if I do.

I have to say that the fatigue was less over the next few days of work.

Mh. Maybe I should get some o-rings for Backspace, Delete and Ctrl since I keep smashing them most of the times...
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 April 2017, 13:11:57 by Targa-TV »
Filco MJ2 Black - MX Red | VA88M - MX Brown | Cherry G80-3000 -
  MX Blue | Cherry G80-3000 - MX Black | XD75re - MX Silent Red

[image]http://i.imgur.com/our8YUc.png[/image]

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 18:30:29 »
It certainly is a different typing experience. I personally prefer heavier switches because I'm a barbarian and bottom out like nobodies business. If the bottoming out is causing minor RSI pain, try using dental bands to soften the blow.

On the other hand, maybe reds aren't for you?
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline DRAZAH

• Hype-S
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 22:06:19 »
Linears are the most fatiguing switch to me. I have an MF68 with Gateron Reds and its just not comfortable. My typing is the worst on linears, and they feel the worst to me. As always though, its all preferenced based and this is just my subjective point on the matter.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 22:56:13 »
Linears are the most fatiguing switch to me. I have an MF68 with Gateron Reds and its just not comfortable. My typing is the worst on linears, and they feel the worst to me. As always though, its all preferenced based and this is just my subjective point on the matter.

Strange, it's the opposite for me.  I'm slow as can be on blues and buckling springs are rather fatiguing pretty quickly.  Meanwhile, I can type on reds all day without problems.