Author Topic: HHKB Type-S: Those switches!  (Read 2435 times)

Offline macguy80

HHKB Type-S: Those switches!
« on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 23:32:11 »
I continue to be amazed by this keyboard. It's not just the layout. The switches are far more enjoyable to type on than the RF board of the same weighting. The only question I have for myself is: why didn't I do this SOONER? :)

I will admit that I am now also curious about the non-silenced version as well, but I think the HiPro is next on my list!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: HHKB Type-S: Those switches!
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 00:01:39 »
yea it's fun...  buhhh... mmmrrrrmm..  /Ergodox !!

Mu- tron should be first on your list..  it is the ultimate topre keyboard..  your weeb level will increase by at least +15..

Every other topre board is just fluff compared to the Mu-Tron

Offline macguy80

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 01:03:09 »
I'm sure someone will love it, but split layouts just aren't for me. Tried lots of them, and they just don't work for my typing style.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 01:10:04 »
I'm sure someone will love it, but split layouts just aren't for me. Tried lots of them, and they just don't work for my typing style.

There is indeed a barrier..

But it's not what you and many others perceive it to be.

The issue is, Your typing style/ technique / pose  is so wrong and suboptimal due to the prevalence of UN-ergonomic flat keyboards,   SUCH THAT,  an actual Better keyboard will feel weird to you..

This is so, because we KNOW for a fact that flat keyboards are not suited for long-term use, and are a root cause of computer related Repetitive stress disorders.

Split keyboards are better in every way for typing,   just as orange juice is better than cocacola..  But if you grew up drinking nothing but coca cola..  well, now you've formed this cognitive attachment as to what a drink should taste like.

EVEN THOUGH that drink is killing you slowly by increasing your odds of diabetes/ heart disease/ and cancer..

Offline macguy80

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 02:21:42 »
What you say is definitely true. However, in my case, lifelong physical disability makes modifying my typing style, or otherwise adapting to split keyboards, near impossible. If I had the use of all ten fingers, that would probably help. ;)

Offline sandelius

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 04:03:43 »
I will admit that I am now also curious about the non-silenced version as well, but I think the HiPro is next on my list!

I'm a big Topre fan and have 3 RealForces at the moment. Latest addition is Hi-Pro.

I have to warn you about Hi-Pro: That thing is going punish you if you are not hitting right in the center of the caps. Also you are going to hit the top edges of the home row keys when your pressing keys from QWERTY row.

I immediately regretted the purchase when I first tried my brand new Hi-Pro. I also typed way slower with Hi-Pro and still do but the difference is not that big anymore.

Ok not scaring you anymore. I love my Hi-Pro! It's totally different from other Realforces: really high quality caps, I like the clack! and the tactility is different. And when I type properly the spherical caps feel so lovely :)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 04:12:25 »
What you say is definitely true. However, in my case, lifelong physical disability makes modifying my typing style, or otherwise adapting to split keyboards, near impossible. If I had the use of all ten fingers, that would probably help. ;)

how many hands can you use.. and how many fingers.

Offline Tactile

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 08:29:10 »
I continue to be amazed by this keyboard. It's not just the layout. The switches are far more enjoyable to type on than the RF board of the same weighting. The only question I have for myself is: why didn't I do this SOONER? :)

They are really nice to type on, with a very "deluxe" feel. I prefer the regular HHKB, maybe because it was my first and got used to it, and recently sold my Type S. But I can see how someone could get a Type S and be happy with nothing else as far as typing feel.
REΛLFORCE

Offline macguy80

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 13:59:44 »
how many hands can you use.. and how many fingers.

In my case, both hands, though only:

* Left index and middle finger
* Left thumb
* Occasional assist from the left ring finger. I can't really control it, and it sometimes causes typos.
* Occasional assist from the right middle finger. Same as above.

With regard to split layouts, there hasn't been one yet that agrees with my hands on where the "dividing line" should be. And even when I think I know, my hands have proved me wrong every time I try to type on one.

If we're talking health, this I know to be true, for me personally: If I were FORCED for health reasons to what is considered an ergonomic keyboard, I would sooner give up all typing and learn to use voice-control software, with all its frustrations and foibles, than to invest 5 seconds trying to retrain my hands. Trust me. I know my cerebral palsy well enough to know what's worth my time. ;)

Offline macguy80

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 14:53:54 »
I have to warn you about Hi-Pro: That thing is going punish you if you are not hitting right in the center of the caps. Also you are going to hit the top edges of the home row keys when your pressing keys from QWERTY row.

I can deal with that. If I have to slow down, as I did for the HHKB, I can do that. I'll be back up to speed eventually.

Ok not scaring you anymore. I love my Hi-Pro! It's totally different from other Realforces: really high quality caps, I like the clack! and the tactility is different. And when I type properly the spherical caps feel so lovely :)

You've just listed every reason I want to go for it. I actually love that clack!

Offline Blue_Moon

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 16:15:31 »
i'm also enjoying hhkb every day. the regular one isn't any different from the type s, except a little noiser. it's clever how they silenced it, and i appreciate it, because it doesn't change the typing feel. only the upstroke is silenced. the regular one sounds the same on the downstroke and feels the same too. i mean, i don't touch the key at the end of the stroke as the key is traveling back up, so i don't feel the difference. it's just the normal hhkb has a louder clack when the key pops up

i have a type-s at work and a normal one at home

Offline macguy80

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 16:18:36 »
They are really nice to type on, with a very "deluxe" feel. I prefer the regular HHKB, maybe because it was my first and got used to it, and recently sold my Type S. But I can see how someone could get a Type S and be happy with nothing else as far as typing feel.

I've definitely gotta get a regular HHKB at some point!

But with regards to the HHKB Type-S, I can definitely say that if my RF 45g felt anything CLOSE to this, I would still have it.