Author Topic: Laptop screens: How much NITS and Gamut do you need?  (Read 3592 times)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
Laptop screens: How much NITS and Gamut do you need?
« on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 06:47:19 »
As I've been complaining about furiously, my MacBook Pro 2010 is dying on me.

Because I'm an elitist money-wasting bastard, I want a Thinkpad now that Apple's offerings are so lack luster.

Which brings me to the T470 and the X1 Carbon 2017 (Gen 5).

T470 has ports and you can upgrade everything except the CPU: mem, storage, battery, wireless card, etc.

X1 Carbon has everything but the battery and storage glued.

So form factor aside, the T470 looks more appealing.

BUUUT... the T470 has 250-280 nits and only 67% Gamut coverage, while X1 is 300+ and 104% gamut coverage.

Does it matter? I do photography, but I can do that on my workstation back home with a proper screen.

For the rest I stare at Office apps and programming.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Laptop screens: How much NITS and Gamut do you need?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 07:24:49 »
ok there's ALOT of confusion surrounding this..  hahahaha..

If you work with Raws/ Archival photography/ PRINTING.. all in a  PROFESSIONAL SETTING,  where parts of yours and other people's workflow has to Mesh together.

ONLY THEN will you actually need high gamut coverage..

At least currently There is no meaningful quantity of high gamut content over the web or purchasable on Disc media for you to consume..

So High-gamut not relevant to most non-professional end-users..

Now, the Upcoming UltraHD bluray, WILL have actual HDR color space which requires High-Gamut..    This however has to have software support, and so even if you buy a PC today,  the playback chain is very clumsy to setup for 10bit material.     And in many cases,  you need to purchase a color probe and test media discs to know if it's even working correctly..

But, that said.. if your panel DOES have high gamut, you will at least be ~more future proof..

Although for a laptop as a non-professional,  It's probably most definitely not useful,  because why would you watch movies on it, when you can go home and watch ur big -screen..

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 07:39:44 »
ok there's ALOT of confusion surrounding this..  hahahaha..

If you work with Raws/ Archival photography/ PRINTING.. all in a  PROFESSIONAL SETTING,  where parts of yours and other people's workflow has to Mesh together.

ONLY THEN will you actually need high gamut coverage..

At least currently There is no meaningful quantity of high gamut content over the web or purchasable on Disc media for you to consume..

So High-gamut not relevant to most non-professional end-users..

Now, the Upcoming UltraHD bluray, WILL have actual HDR color space which requires High-Gamut..    This however has to have software support, and so even if you buy a PC today,  the playback chain is very clumsy to setup for 10bit material.     And in many cases,  you need to purchase a color probe and test media discs to know if it's even working correctly..

But, that said.. if your panel DOES have high gamut, you will at least be ~more future proof..

Although for a laptop as a non-professional,  It's probably most definitely not useful,  because why would you watch movies on it, when you can go home and watch ur big -screen..

And nits? What you think of them nits? Enough yes? Enough no?

Would TP mind everything glued and soldered together in the X1... not being able to up the memory and such?
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 08:34:24 »

And nits? What you think of them nits? Enough yes? Enough no?

Would TP mind everything glued and soldered together in the X1... not being able to up the memory and such?

Tp4 =/=  outside..

never worried about nits..

But if ever you're going to be outside.. It's just higher the better.. there's no number, because sunlight is super bright and will outpower anything.