Author Topic: Are you afraid to try new keyboard hobby things?  (Read 9438 times)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Are you afraid to try new keyboard hobby things?
« on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 09:11:19 »
Do you always think about buying a switch tester?

Or maybe trying a friends keyboard or a keyboard on display at a store?

Ever wonder what those OG dyesub caps really feel like?

Think to yourself it might nice to have an 11lb CNC'd keyboard?

BUT then you stop.....and ask yourself.....do I really want to go down this rabbit hole?

What have you always wanted to try in the keyboard world but hesitate because you don't want to get sucked in further??  :o

For me I kept blowing off silent reds but now that I've tried them that is all I want to use.... ???
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 May 2017, 11:26:20 by SpAmRaY »

Offline Krakob

• Krakblog
Re: Are you afraid to try new things?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 09:15:10 »
No, but my wallet is ;)
Ducky Shine 2 (MX Blue, white backlight) • Obins Anne Pro (Gateron Brown) • Model M • XD60

Offline silverpanda94

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 09:34:29 »
That was me with Topre switches.  I've read so much hype about them and wanted to try them so badly, but no stores nearby sell them, so my only option would be to order one.  And I was like "do I really want to pay $200 for a board where I've never even felt the keys?"

But I caved and did it.  Thankfully, I love the switches.  But man if I ended up disliking them, I would've felt so bad.
Topre Realforce RGB // IBM Model M (1989) // Razer Ornata Chroma // Cherry MultiBoard MX 8100 // Microsoft Natural Keyboard 4000 (at work)

Offline DaBubbs

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 10:09:24 »
Do you always think about buying a switch tester?

Or maybe trying a friends keyboard or a keyboard on display at a store?

Ever wonder what those OG dyesub caps really feel like?

Think to yourself it might nice to have an 11lb CNC'd keyboard?

BUT then you stop.....and ask yourself.....do I really want to go down this rabbit hole?

What have you always wanted to try in the keyboard world but hesitate because you don't want to get sucked in further??  :o

For me I kept blowing off silent reds but now that I've tried them that is all I want to use.... ???
The switch tester comment hit home with me. Before I found MX Clears as my favorite MX switch, I somehow did not know that switch testers were out there to purchase. I saw some people using them but again, I thought it was a promo thing and not something I could buy.

So I ended up buying like 4 MX keyboards (red, black, blue, and brown) when I started with mechanical keyboards and I didn't love any of them. Thankfully I could return them... I just had to pay shipping. I liked brown the best but it was too light for my tastes. So to clears I went.

The HHKB and the FC660C were my two "cross my fingers" purchases. I already liked Topre (had a RF 87U) but I had no idea if I would like the layouts. The biggest issue is that my expectations and anticipation for the two boards were through the roof after reading a lot of reviews here. I had to keep trying to tone myself down so that I would not be disappointing if the keyboards were great, but not utterly amazing.
When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 10:39:49 »
If we take the ACT of collection to its logical conclusion.

The Highest possible expression of collecting would not only require devoted collecting, it would also require that the items IN THE COLLECTION be of the highest rarity and value.

The benchmark of collecting is having the value of a collection appreciate over time..

There simply isn't enough technical, artistic or monetary marvels in the keyboard world worth collecting..

Model M.. big whoop,  maybe if you hunt down the 9 other billion of these things, and destroyed all but 1, it'd be worth something.

Korean aluminum board... Go look at costs of slabs of aluminum..  If industry was turned to produce such things, It's conceivable that we can pump out full kmacs cases at ~$30 a piece...

Due to low complexity, low artistry, low value,  EASE of reproduction..   KEYBOARDS are not worth collecting whatsoever. All that would happen is whatever money you spend today, will soon fizzle into nothing as the kids move onto the next fad.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 10:44:12 »
Collecting keyboards is not so different from collecting beany babies..     SURE they might come around and be popular again..  but for the most part.. WORTHLESS

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 11:26:47 »
Collecting keyboards is not so different from collecting beany babies..     SURE they might come around and be popular again..  but for the most part.. WORTHLESS
Let people enjoy things TP :D
For me, it's not so much collecting keyboards as it is finding/building that keyboard that truly feels like it could be the last I ever bothered with.
I have just started down this rabbit hole so I expect to go a bit further down before I get there, but I'm just enjoying the experience so far.

Offline dante

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 11:28:09 »
I've been having "purchase paralysis" in the last year or so.  All I eventually end up doing is trying to recreate the feel of my favorite $10 membrane board.

I think I'm starting to wake up.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 11:31:53 »
I've been having "purchase paralysis" in the last year or so.  All I eventually end up doing is trying to recreate the feel of my favorite $10 membrane board.

I've been sayin' it for years..  Familiarity is what topre is..

But the heart wants what the heart wants..

Also, IMHO $10 rubber dome is superior to topre in the sense that it's way lighter, has less friction, and well, $10

Offline OkinaDaikon

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 11:35:33 »
I'm in the same boat, each GB I join, each board/keycaps buy I tell myself 'this is going to be my last'.  but months later it happens again. I want to try everything!  :eek:

You can check in, but never check out ;)

Offline dante

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 11:53:54 »

Also, IMHO $10 rubber dome is superior to topre in the sense that it's way lighter, has less friction, and well, $10

Familiarity is not what Topre is.  In fact the things that people love about it are the things that I hate.  For instance, I can't stand the long pointless (to me) key travel.

And while it feels like you're typing on a very sturdy and well made product there is something that feels uncomfortable about the experience compared to my membrane that has a bit more give.

My only jealousy towards Topre is that I can't get a tenkeyless version of my Dell membrane.

I may have to get a hacksaw and make my own.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 12:18:55 »

Familiarity is not what Topre is.  In fact the things that people love about it are the things that I hate.  For instance, I can't stand the long pointless (to me) key travel.

And while it feels like you're typing on a very sturdy and well made product there is something that feels uncomfortable about the experience compared to my membrane that has a bit more give.

My only jealousy towards Topre is that I can't get a tenkeyless version of my Dell membrane.

I may have to get a hacksaw and make my own.

just head out to home depot, and see if they'll cut it on the table saw for you..

Offline minh278

• In life we will only fall, How far will we fall?
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 20:48:37 »
Me and cherry just don't go well together. Life has been a ***** for me and getting cherry mx-stuff.

I mean i recently ordered a Glorious Mechanical keyboard to put zealios's on, it got stolen in the mail. So i lost $113.

I do think i will get the Input Club k-type though. We will see if that can convert me from topre.

Keyboards:  Final Fantasy XI XIth Anniversary keyboard (topre 45g) | Realforce Rgb (topre 45g, Eva Noctilucous keyset) | Mionix Zibal 60 (mx black, Vortex doubleshot) | Greymark (white alps) | IBM model M (found in the trash!)

Offline Aer Fixus

• And now, back to lurking...
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 21:28:29 »
The Highest possible expression of collecting would not only require devoted collecting, it would also require that the items IN THE COLLECTION be of the highest rarity and value.

The benchmark of collecting is having the value of a collection appreciate over time..

There simply isn't enough technical, artistic or monetary marvels in the keyboard world worth collecting..

I'd beg to differ.

What about being an archivist? Or a historian? The goal can be to collect to discover.

It could be discovering the subtleties of different keyswitches so that one can find the perfect board for them. Maybe it's discovering new keyboards or differences between existing ones (like the evolution of ALPS SKCL/SKCC switches). Some folks like discovering new model numbers or part numbers just to build a collection that may one day make it into some museum somewhere. The museum curator's mentality is not to own the most monetarily valuable items, but the most historically valuable items.

It's important to teach people the history of their devices and how their switch developed over time. At the very least, it's interesting. And in this interesting world, those people may actually be able to buy the ancestor of their favorite switch and enjoy it more.

Collectors are also important to understanding how the technology works. Some of these rare (or simply less common) switches are interestingly constructed and with the resurgence of mechanical keyboards, maybe some of these mechanisms can be modernized to create a better key switch that hasn't experienced multiple generations of cost reduction. And in the case of the 4704 boards, a converter was under way before the first large lot of them was even found, all because of collectors who chose to seek out such a rare set of boards.
               SOON: IN PROGRESS:

I lie all the time.... I really don't even like keyboards

Offline gnmar2723

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 22:23:20 »
Due to low complexity, low artistry, low value,  EASE of reproduction..   KEYBOARDS are not worth collecting whatsoever. All that would happen is whatever money you spend today, will soon fizzle into nothing as the kids move onto the next fad.

Yeah, I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one.
They might not have intrinsic value, but since people are willing to pay for them, they hold lots of value.

Offline TelFiRE

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 22:27:46 »
I've decided not to try Topre because I've gone full in on the customization rabbit hole as well as MX Artisans. So if Topre is better at this point I'd rather not even know, because then I have to give up so many other things I love about keyboards.
KBD75 GMK Terminal          XD84 DSA Black on GSF + Hana Matcha + Serum

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 22:29:46 »
I've decided not to try Topre because I've gone full in on the customization rabbit hole as well as MX Artisans. So if Topre is better at this point I'd rather not even know, because then I have to give up so many other things I love about keyboards.

Liking Topre doesn't mean you give up on MX, I regularly switch between Topre, MX, and now Alps.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 23:24:13 »
Naa.  I've tried the big four (blue, brown, red, black) and realized I'm not so big on tactile / loud switches.  Jumped into hall effect without having tried with the XMIT board given it wasn't a bad price.  Dropped money on SA, DSA, and GMK sets without having tried them as well.  All in all, I prefer testing things out prior to dropping money but I've dropped money just to try.

Offline skuko

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 01:51:49 »
custom boards. wanted to build one many times, but i'm lazy and afraid it would suck me in :D

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 04:25:24 »
[sorry, switching you back to a color that's actually legible]Do you always think about buying a switch tester?

No. So-called switch "testers" are useless. Typing is so much more than trying one switch at a time with one finger. It's about feeling and seeing how a whole board of switches, connected to a real computer, responds to your utterly unique typing style. (Typing is so personal, you can identify people by their typing patterns, like  fingerprints.)

The idea that you can figure out what kinds of switches work best for you, by pressing one of them at a time, is as ludicrous as deciding what kinds of trees to plant around your house by looking at a handful of leaves.

I think the whole switch-tester thing was dreamed up by MK-industry people who realized it was a sneaky way to get people to buy a lot more boards than they would have otherwise. Plus they'd be buying the testers, of course.

That was me with Topre switches.  I've read so much hype about them and wanted to try them so badly, but no stores nearby sell them, so my only option would be to order one.  And I was like "do I really want to pay $200 for a board where I've never even felt the keys?"... But I caved and did it.  Thankfully, I love the switches.  But man if I ended up disliking them, I would've felt so bad.

And even if you weren't wild for how they felt, there's the sound—you just can't not like that famous Topre thock! What's more, the Type Heaven is even more thocky than Realforces, and much less dough. So, snobbery aside, for anyone who hesitates to spend $200+ on a RF, THs are an outstanding deal.

But if Topre really would be a whole new world for you, you're just living in ignorance of it. Can that be good? As Woody Allen says, "The only problem is, eventually you get old and die." 

That seems like something that should've been posted here instead.

I've been having "purchase paralysis" in the last year or so.  All I eventually end up doing is trying to recreate the feel of my favorite $10 membrane board...

LOL. I did quite enjoy the dozen or so Microsoft Natural Keyboards I wore out before I discovered MKs. However:

• They didn't click.
  • They felt crisp and consistent for, like, a week.
  • They lasted for only, like, three months.

So I'm afraid the notion of the perfect RD board is, well, romantic.

If we take the ACT of collection to its logical conclusion... The Highest possible expression of collecting would not only require devoted collecting, it would also require that the items IN THE COLLECTION be of the highest rarity and value... The benchmark of collecting is having the value of a collection appreciate over time...

Sure, if all you're doing is seeking an investment. For most of us, though, KBs are much more than that. They're both tools of expression and expressions of personal style.

There simply isn't enough technical, artistic or monetary marvels in the keyboard world worth collecting... Model M.. big whoop,  maybe if you hunt down the 9 other billion of these things, and destroyed all but 1, it'd be worth something... Due to low complexity, low artistry, low value,  EASE of reproduction..   KEYBOARDS are not worth collecting whatsoever. All that would happen is whatever money you spend today, will soon fizzle into nothing as the kids move onto the next fad.

I take it you don't write much. If you did, you'd appreciate having exactly the boards that made writing as easy, fun, and stimulating for you as possible.

Go ahead and trash-talk buckling springs, if that's what blows your skirt up—but many of us here can't imagine doing most of our typing on anything else.

Besides, you're talking as though KBs are the only things KB people collect, enjoy or appreciate. Sure, some peeps are obsessed with KBs—but while they may not have your esthetic objectivity, KBs rock their world, which is all that's important, really.

For the rest of us—those who realize that, yes, there's much more to life than MKs—what you say is irrelevant as well. It doesn't change one bit the enjoyment we get from our clickity clackity devices, and from hanging with our fellow enthusiasts.

So, ha. Go be as critical and negative as you need to (the key word here being "go"). I suspect you could pick apart any special interest that way; all it takes is a lack of passion for it. Considering how jaded and listless most people are these days, you should have lots of company.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 04:41:50 »
Being afraid of trying something new/different is so typical for the keyboard market…

Almost every discussion under a mainstream review or a custom announcement contains something along the lines of "no ISO? this is dead to me". The closed-mindedness can get mind-boggling.

Offline dante

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 08:29:46 »
I've been having "purchase paralysis" in the last year or so.  All I eventually end up doing is trying to recreate the feel of my favorite $10 membrane board...

LOL. I did quite enjoy the dozen or so Microsoft Natural Keyboards I wore out before I discovered MKs. However:

• They didn't click.

Yes, yes, yes... I keep hearing tales of membranes changing their feel within a week and then sooner or later fail for no good reason.

I'm not saying that it can't happen - I'm saying that it's never happened to me; And that has shaped my view of them.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 08:46:13 »

• They didn't click.

Yes, yes, yes... I keep hearing tales of membranes changing their feel within a week and then sooner or later fail for no good reason.

I'm not saying that it can't happen - I'm saying that it's never happened to me; And that has shaped my view of them.

I've never had any entire keyboards fail..

A few keys have gone unreponsive on me..   But that was back in the childhood days when I played megaman on pc, and I thought if I pressed the buttons harder,  it would shoot stronger bullets..

Shuttup.. lal al alalalala.. it makes perfect sense..  you're all stupid.. Tp4 is the smartest..

Offline ShishKabobJerry

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 08:51:48 »
I'm always up for new things, it just sucks to be still high school when you have a hobby like this. Sometimes the money isn't enough and I can't even find a part time job where I'm from which sucks.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 09:02:35 »
I'm always up for new things, it just sucks to be still high school when you have a hobby like this. Sometimes the money isn't enough and I can't even find a part time job where I'm from which sucks.

Hrrrmmm... you're probably too young to work with the more dangerous rotary tools....  I'm remember they used to pay $15 per hour for student tech-support in my highschools,   for the teachers who don't know wtf they're doing.

Offline ShishKabobJerry

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 09:23:48 »

Hrrrmmm... you're probably too young to work with the more dangerous rotary tools....  I'm remember they used to pay $15 per hour for student tech-support in my highschools,   for the teachers who don't know wtf they're doing.

I'm too young to work anywhere really. It's either you know people and they let you work or don't. Finding a job in, let's say a grocery store at my age is impossible. Atleast I'm almost done with my high school education and can get a job in a year. :)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 09:26:37 »

I'm too young to work anywhere really. It's either you know people and they let you work or don't. Finding a job in, let's say a grocery store at my age is impossible. Atleast I'm almost done with my high school education and can get a job in a year. :)

Are you blowing through ur allowance too quickly?

I had a mere $50 a week, so after lunch, that was $20-25..

But even at that rate, it was certainly enough to buy keyboards..

What are ya'll kids getting these days..

Offline ShishKabobJerry

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 09:54:03 »

Are you blowing through ur allowance too quickly?

I had a mere $50 a week, so after lunch, that was $20-25..

But even at that rate, it was certainly enough to buy keyboards..

What are ya'll kids getting these days..
Well, it isn't the same. $50 dollars for a week is quite alot where I'm from. Hmm I get an equivalent of 10-15$ a week if you convert it. I'm generally not the spending type so yeahh...

edit: random 10 in my reply

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 10:18:21 »

Well, it isn't the same. $50 dollars for a week is quite alot where I'm from. Hmm I get an equivalent of 10-15$ a week if you convert it. I'm generally not the spending type so yeahh...

Are you counting lunch in the $15 ?

But, Purchasing parity must be considered..

For example, if I was getting 50 china Yuan,  I could still buy approximately the same number of steam pork buns in china as hamburgers in the usa

So, if you have $15 USD, converted to ~50 local,  and you could buy say 50 ice pops..  that's really the same allowance.

Offline ShishKabobJerry

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 10:32:33 »

Are you counting lunch in the $15 ?

But, Purchasing parity must be considered..

For example, if I was getting 50 china Yuan,  I could still buy approximately the same number of steam pork buns in china as hamburgers in the usa

So, if you have $15 USD, converted to ~50 local,  and you could buy say 50 ice pops..  that's really the same allowance.

No, I'm not counting lunch in the $15, but I guess you're right about the purchasing parity part. Probably have to just bring my own food more often to lessen spending lol

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 12:06:10 »
Expensive Alps(Blues,Browns,etc.)... though I'm already considering that a lot.

Offline TelFiRE

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 16:35:06 »
I might try Topre if I didn't have my limited play funds already focused elsewhere on stuff far more expensive than an RGB Topre.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 20:52:53 »
Realforce and Kinesis Advantage for sure

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 22:09:59 »

Once upon a time, Fry's used to have Kinesis Advantage boards in the store.  Got to try them out since a store was nearby work at the time.

Offline Data

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 11 May 2017, 06:48:07 »
I wanted to try Hall Effect.

So I did.

I guess I'm not afraid to try new things.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 11 May 2017, 09:51:48 »
No, but my wallet is ;)

that's me as well.

there are a few boards / switches i would love to try, but some of them are rare or/and often quite costly.
particularly it's beam spring i wanna try :-) would love to get my hands on a displaywriter keyboard, it looks amazing
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 11 May 2017, 10:12:04 »
Try new things?  Like butt stuff?
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline Krakob

• Krakblog
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 11 May 2017, 10:14:01 »
No, but my wallet is ;)

that's me as well.

there are a few boards / switches i would love to try, but some of them are rare or/and often quite costly.
particularly it's beam spring i wanna try :-) would love to get my hands on a displaywriter keyboard, it looks amazing
I get ya. I'm quite interested in developing a few ideas of mine but the student's economy is a limited one.
Ducky Shine 2 (MX Blue, white backlight) • Obins Anne Pro (Gateron Brown) • Model M • XD60

Offline DuckNorris

Re: Are you afraid to try new keyboard hobby things?
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 11 May 2017, 16:03:50 »
I am , I held myself back. During college i saw many keysets, switches, etc and tons of different buckling springs, DIY keyboard kits I wanted to do. I have money now and can do everything but as I started spending money, got nice keyboards, nice sets I was just like meh. It just wasn't really that what people made it out to be in some cases and what is the point of having 3+ keyboards if I only use 2 and don't have the time or motivation to switch out stuff all the time.

For some of us it isn't a wallet issue, just a realization of , damn some of these projects and buys are not worth it for some of us. Also, some prices in keysets and keycaps even though I can buy them its like , legit retarded(talking secondhand sales here). One has to draw the line somewhere.

Offline PleaseBeMyFriend

• formerly honsoo
  • reddit /u/PleaseBeMyFriend
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 12:51:23 »
That was me with Topre switches.  I've read so much hype about them and wanted to try them so badly, but no stores nearby sell them, so my only option would be to order one.  And I was like "do I really want to pay $200 for a board where I've never even felt the keys?"

But I caved and did it.  Thankfully, I love the switches.  But man if I ended up disliking them, I would've felt so bad.

The good thing about topre boards is that you can get pretty close to what you paid for it if you don't like it.

Offline TelFiRE

« Reply #42 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 13:47:27 »

Liking Topre doesn't mean you give up on MX, I regularly switch between Topre, MX, and now Alps.

"Fine," says I.
"**** you!" says my wallet.
"Omw!" says an 87u 45g.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 14:07:03 »

Once upon a time, Fry's used to have Kinesis Advantage boards in the store.  Got to try them out since a store was nearby work at the time.

I'm almost positive that I saw one years ago at an Officemax. I know they carry the pads and Freestyles. No more Kinesis Advantages though :/

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #44 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 14:14:47 »
I am , I held myself back. During college i saw many keysets, switches, etc and tons of different buckling springs, DIY keyboard kits I wanted to do. I have money now and can do everything but as I started spending money, got nice keyboards, nice sets I was just like meh. It just wasn't really that what people made it out to be in some cases and what is the point of having 3+ keyboards if I only use 2 and don't have the time or motivation to switch out stuff all the time.

For some of us it isn't a wallet issue, just a realization of , damn some of these projects and buys are not worth it for some of us. Also, some prices in keysets and keycaps even though I can buy them its like , legit retarded(talking secondhand sales here). One has to draw the line somewhere.

For me, it's also a wallet issue more because I'd rather dedicate those funds to something else.  Do I really need another keyboard?  Not really.  I've got a solid board as my daily driver and a good backup board with a couple relics for nostalgia (SGI granite and IBM Model M).  I could spend that on other things besides keyboards. 

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 16:02:04 »
Maybe Blue Alps? Dunno, I've basically tried everything I wanted to  :))

LZ-GH or some lighter, high quality kustom might also be cool.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Data

« Reply #46 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 22:09:52 »
I wanted to try sourcing my own RGB LEDs for this Vortex switch-tester-turned-number-pad, even though I'd never soldered SMD components in my life.

So I did.

Guess I'm still not afraid to try new things.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #47 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 23:53:57 »
Wouldn't mind trying a beam spring.  Just to try out one of the limited bunch floating around.  Not that I'm much on tactile switches but I'm curious about the hype.  I would consider buying one if the switch was ever resurrected.  Someone made mention of it but it sounded rather different than the originals.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 21 June 2017, 22:20:14 »
The only thing stopping me from going deeper into the rabbit hole is lack of funds.

And I have a few switch testers that are used as display boards for a few special keycaps.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 21 June 2017, 23:47:23 »

I've recently picked up a NIB BTC Dome board for $30 and it's made me more comfortable to buy a Topre keyboard in the future. I usually recommend people pick one of these boards up if they just want a general idea of how Topre will feel.

Offline killyou

« Reply #50 on: Thu, 22 June 2017, 13:33:46 »
I escaped a hobby where equipment is worth thousands of dollars (electric guitar and amplifiers) and entered one where you can spend hundreds of dollars. Not too bad. I only have 2 keyboards and one of them is going away so I'm not too bad actually. I'd like another Pok3r though as my experimental board where I would solder and desolder stuff to have something to tinker with. The one I already have I bought new and it's the most awesome keyboard ever and even if I got another Pok3r I probably would be less satisfied with the one that I already have so I will keep it original no matter what. Speaking of testers I just got one the other week with 9 different MX switches just to reassure me that MX Clears are my favorite.

My todo list:

1. Get the cheapest Pok3r I can find
2. Upgrade it with hot swappable switches option
3. Get Nautilus keycaps set
4. Paint the case to match the keyset.
5. Get dark blue USB cable
6. Put MX Clear springs into the MX Blue switches

I'll probably get to it but rather the next year as I'm too busy at the moment. I might skip steps 3-5 as I can't justify shelling 150$ for a bag of plastic especially with the GMK quality problems I read about and ABS shine. Might go with something else dark blue + yellow but PBT and blank if I can find it for a reasonable price.

Offline silverpanda94

« Reply #51 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 08:44:29 »

this is why when I tried Topre I got the Topre Realforce RGB.  I know people say that's not the best Topre board out there by any means, but it has MX compatible stems, so I can get the Topre experience and still have room to use custom keycaps that are readily available.
Topre Realforce RGB // IBM Model M (1989) // Razer Ornata Chroma // Cherry MultiBoard MX 8100 // Microsoft Natural Keyboard 4000 (at work)

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 10:59:35 »

Me right now, which is why I've been looking for a used HHKB2 or Realforce 87u 55. Not really sure what a good price is so I won't take a beating reselling it so I've been holding out trying to gauge fair value on one that is in good condition. It seems like the 55g might give me some of the bassy sound I like about the SKCM blue, but even Youtube videos have them sounding all over the place depending on the recording, mic, etc. The HHKB2 recordings sound more similar, but not sure I'd like 45g after using SKCM orange and blue.

The second one is transplanting my SKCM blue into an aluminum case. The only recording I can find is of a Kingsaver which sounds very good, pretty much like stock keyboards. But again hard to say how some of these GB cases will sound and these start to become really expensive plus time consuming propositions.
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 July 2017, 11:04:53 by directheatedtriode »

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 17:37:56 »
I would say that in the last year I've gotten really involved with the Seattle mechanical keyboard community. Most people are more than willing to let you borrow their keyboard for awhile. Because of this, I've been able to play with some "out of my reach keyboards" and satisfy those urges.

But mostly what limits me is my wallet haha.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 18:34:44 »

Join the club  :))

I wouldn't say I'm afraid to try new keyboard things, I just tend to not care.
Like why try the newest linear/ tactile/ or clicky switch when you already have one that suits your needs, if you consider what you're using comfy or "perfect" why try to change that.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 21:11:00 »

Like why try the newest linear/ tactile/ or clicky switch when you already have one that suits your needs, if you consider what you're using comfy or "perfect" why try to change that.

I don't even like keybaords..  Never did..

Keybaord suxx..

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 21:14:01 »
I escaped a hobby where equipment is worth thousands of dollars (electric guitar and amplifiers) and entered one where you can spend hundreds of dollars. Not too bad. I only have 2 keyboards and one of them is going away so I'm not too bad actually. I'd like another Pok3r though as my experimental board where I would solder and desolder stuff to have something to tinker with. The one I already have I bought new and it's the most awesome keyboard ever and even if I got another Pok3r I probably would be less satisfied with the one that I already have so I will keep it original no matter what. Speaking of testers I just got one the other week with 9 different MX switches just to reassure me that MX Clears are my favorite.

My todo list:

1. Get the cheapest Pok3r I can find
2. Upgrade it with hot swappable switches option
3. Get Nautilus keycaps set
4. Paint the case to match the keyset.
5. Get dark blue USB cable
6. Put MX Clear springs into the MX Blue switches

I'll probably get to it but rather the next year as I'm too busy at the moment. I might skip steps 3-5 as I can't justify shelling 150$ for a bag of plastic especially with the GMK quality problems I read about and ABS shine. Might go with something else dark blue + yellow but PBT and blank if I can find it for a reasonable price.

I used to be in that game man. There was one month where I bought 3 guitars at $700-$1800 each,  and in the same year bought a custom les paul. Expensive expensive stuff. I still have those, and I realize I don't play them as much.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 21:57:27 »

Keybaord suxx..

My keyboard sux ... the money out of my wallet :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 23:49:37 »

Keybaord suxx..

Keep feeding your wallet, never let it starve for attention.  Have been doing it all my life thus far and she has never been slim or anorexic ever, she is nice and plump every couple of weeks  8) .

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 07 July 2017, 05:32:28 »

Keybaord suxx..

Mine has too, but I've come to a halt for now.
The only raffle I entered was the one for the Kosmo's.
I've even had to ween myself off GB's - it's time for the wallet to recover. I need a new watch.  :))

Offline asianboy30354

« Reply #60 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 20:47:04 »
A topre board, specifically an hhkb! I've heard they're all the shiz but I really don't want to get sucked into the world of topre artisans since ive already spent and insane amount on MX artisans for only being in this hobby for less than a year :|

Offline Lazylewis

« Reply #61 on: Mon, 10 July 2017, 06:41:31 »

My problem is I can never decide what I like. Sometimes I'm convinced my topre boards are all I need and MX blues/greens are so tacky and make me cringe. Other days there's nothing I like more than the click and topre feels mushy and boring. Then there's jumping between sizes and layouts and key mappings and lusting after the latest gmk / SA keyset.

I have some of the best non custom boards you can buy and some of the best keycaps and Im still not happy. The thrill is in the hunt, and I spend every day in the IC threads or on Instagram seeing what wonderful creations are being cooked up. I'm always excited for what's coming rather than what I already have. I'm glad there's a huge delay in SA keycaps as the wait is the most enjoyable part of the hobby. I go into a panic when I have nothing ordered.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 21:50:46 »

Keybaord suxx..

Keep feeding your wallet, never let it starve for attention.  Have been doing it all my life thus far and she has never been slim or anorexic ever, she is nice and plump every couple of weeks  8) .

Money in = money out - wallet gets only a fleeting glimpse of it as it flies past.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #63 on: Fri, 14 July 2017, 10:12:28 »

Model M.. big whoop,  maybe if you hunt down the 9 other billion of these things, and destroyed all but 1, it'd be worth something.

Korean aluminum board... Go look at costs of slabs of aluminum..  If industry was turned to produce such things, It's conceivable that we can pump out full kmacs cases at ~$30 a piece...

That's what we say about everything that ends up being a collectible.  It is all the stuff that people don't think will be worth anything so it gets tossed, destroyed etc..we then look back and realize these old things, most of which don't really have any value or use, are something people want for nostalgia and willing to pay a lot for one because they're impossible to find.  They went from being very common to extremely rare. 

The stuff that becomes less of a collectors item is something that everyone takes care of because there has already been an established mode of what to do.  A good example might be sports cards...people having been taking good care of these things for 30 years so even card that are 30 years old aren't worth much..too easy to find....

I'm not saying keyboards will be collectible but if people knew ahead of time what would be valuable and what wouldn't be, they'd be billionaires..of which I doubt anyone on this forum is. 

Offline Polymer

« Reply #64 on: Fri, 14 July 2017, 10:16:12 »

Some are lighter..some aren't..

Some might have less friction..some definitely have more..

But they're far less stable, far less responsible...and you already know both of those factors are major reasons why Topre is better than just any normal rubber dome keyboard...

Then again..you used one for 30 minutes and gave up so how would you know?

Offline Zobeid Zuma

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 14 July 2017, 11:30:02 »
If we take the ACT of collection to its logical conclusion. The Highest possible expression of collecting would not only require devoted collecting, it would also require that the items IN THE COLLECTION be of the highest rarity and value. The benchmark of collecting is having the value of a collection appreciate over time..

My philosophy is a little different.  I buy things that I like, that I think I'll enjoy having and using, and that I think will at least hold their value reasonably well if I take decent care of them.  That way if I get something that I eventually decide is redundant or not really to my taste, I can sell it and feel that I didn't just throw all my money down a black hole.  I think many of the best collections, of any kind, have been put together over a period of many years following this approach.

I remember Jay Leno explaining how he shopped for cars.  He didn't buy anything expecting it to go up in monetary value.  He bought what he liked.  Many of them actually did increase in value, but that was never the purpose of the exercise.