Author Topic: HHKB Type-S Issues  (Read 7561 times)

Offline DaBubbs

HHKB Type-S Issues
« on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 10:27:01 »
I currently own a HKKB Pro 2 and really like it. I wanted to see how the quiet Type-S sounded vs the Pro 2 because at work, I get on some conference calls that I would like to work / type in the background without worrying about the sound going through the phone.

I ordered my first Type-S at the end of last week and it arrived on Monday. I had an issue with it (more below) and returned it for free and got shipped another one. I got the second one today and it is doing the same thing.

Both new Type-S's I have recently received both wobbled slightly on my desk. My Pro 2 does not. If you push down on the HHKB logo on the front right of the keyboard, there is a very faint tap when it compresses, like I am typing out on an ultra quiet Morse code machine. It is almost like a screw is not screwed in tight all the way and there is some play between the top and bottom plastics.

The wobble happens the worst with no legs extended and it is basically unnoticeable when the legs are extended. That said, my Pro 2 doesn't wobble in either leg position or when the legs are not extended at all and the keyboard is flat on my desk. My Pro 2 also has no give and no faint click in the case when I press down either front corner. The Pro 2 feels more solid.

Anyway, I am wondering if this is just a thing the Type-S does or have I gotten two bad ones in a row? I am definitely returning the one I got today but I am wondering if I should try again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated... especially from those that own Type-S's. Thanks!
When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: HHKB Type-S Issues
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 10:30:49 »
well... there has been reports of hhkb warp-age..  BOTH S and non-S type..    It's not unique to the S-type..

I would suggest shimming the keyboard rubber feet with some 3m double sided tape  they're ~ 0.15-0.2mm thick

printer paper is ~ 0.1mm  so you can figure out how much shim you need,   then divide.

Offline Tactile

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 10:36:32 »
The remarks in this thread sound similar.
REΛLFORCE

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 10:39:23 »
Did you guys buy it at the same place..

maybe they're getting a bunch of warped returns, and just sending them out to unbeknownst users.. hahahaha

Offline DaBubbs

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 10:53:31 »
The remarks in this thread sound similar.
Thanks, yes it does.

Since I am sending it back, I am not going to twist the case but the give in the plastic in the front right with the faint ping / tap sound is enough for me to send it back. I think I am going to try one more time from another vendor.
When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 11:07:02 »
If you can't get a straight one you could always get some of this https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=59308.0 or get some shelf liner and fold it up.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 19:17:33 »
My understanding is that plastic case keyboards have a tendency to warp or settle slightly, just because that's how it is. Usually "twisting" the keyboard will fix it, at least temporarily. With my Filco, I pick up the keyboard and hold on to the left and right edges, then twist them in opposite directions sort of firmly. If I set it down and there's more wobble, I twist the opposite direction. Always fixes it.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline IonutZ

• Stay awhile and listen
    • SC
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 19:20:41 »
The HHKB is made of plastic... with no metal plate... what you can do is literally twist it slightly the other way. I've always gotten rid of the warping that way. Does not affect the board, just twist slightly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ComandaPanda

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 21:39:01 »
I had the same issue also, twisting it a bit has fixed it for me and it hasnt returned since.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 22:24:18 »
Twisting the keyboard with the PCB intact is not recommended..

You could end up splitting traces on the PCB.. not an easy fix in topre's case, because jumping traces on topre might cause too much shift in sensing.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 11 May 2017, 02:35:09 »
I think the boards are designed for that bit of give...

You see this with Realforces a lot..it does require a bit of a twist to get it perfect...

From what I've seen, there shouldn't be a point where this risks the board either..the contact points aren't near somewhere where this is a potential problem....

I haven't had this particular problem with the HHKB though..

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 11 May 2017, 07:07:51 »
Both new Type-S's I have recently received both wobbled slightly on my desk.

We have never heard what type of desk are you using here?

Is it solid timber, stone, marble or stainless steel top?

If you are on a hard surface then you can cure your HHKB wobbliness easily by using a desk pad that fits under your keyboard and also provides a decent mouse pad surface to play with.

Every wobbly keyboard in my possession loses it's shaky stance when a firm but supportive desk pad rests underneath them  :thumb: .
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 May 2017, 07:09:56 by Elrick »

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 11 May 2017, 07:16:49 »
My understanding is that plastic case keyboards have a tendency to warp or settle slightly, just because that's how it is.

Because you youngsters like to leave your HHKBs inside of hot cars in the summer, then you become surprised that once you try re-using that keyboard again it's suddenly changed.

That may be the reason why you tossers have lost the rigidity of that keyboard because the casing is made 100% out of ABS, very susceptible to extreme HEAT  8) .

NEVER leave your HHKB in any hot area at all, I've had Cherry G80 3000 keyboards melt in my back seat due to being lazy about removing them first.
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 May 2017, 07:18:25 by Elrick »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 11 May 2017, 07:19:17 »
My understanding is that plastic case keyboards have a tendency to warp or settle slightly, just because that's how it is.

Because you youngsters like to leave your HHKBs inside of hot cars in the summer, then you become surprised that once you try re-using that keyboard again it's suddenly changed.

That may be the reason why you tossers have lost the rigidity of that keyboard because the casing is made 100% out of ABS, very susceptible to extreme HEAT  8) .

NEVER leave your HHKB in any hot area at all, I've had Cherry G80 3000 keyboards melt in my back seat due to being lazy about removing them first.

This is precisely why Tp4 lives in a cave..   NO SUNLIGHT... sunlight burns  ... kkkkkkkeeeeehhhhhhhhh

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 11 May 2017, 07:27:35 »

If you are on a hard surface then you can cure your HHKB wobbliness easily by using a desk pad that fits under your keyboard and also provides a decent mouse pad surface to play with.

Every wobbly keyboard in my possession loses it's shaky stance when a firm but supportive desk pad rests underneath them  :thumb: .

I'd go with this option, my HHKB Pro 1 is probably warped a bit but I've never had any issues because I use a TekMat. I'd check if it's warped at all but the board is currently packed away (I'm moving home for the summer tomorrow).
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 11 May 2017, 07:34:39 »

Probably more from my numerous "youngster" reassemblies with reckless, millennial, abandon.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline DaBubbs

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 11 May 2017, 19:39:34 »

Wood desk... veneer top so level top. My HHKB Pro 2 does not wobble in any spot on my desk but the Type-S wobbles everywhere.

I really like the lack of sound of the Type-S. So if the next new Type-S that comes in tomorrow only has a wobble, I will surely try the recommendations here and try to fix it. That said, the case popping like the top and bottom part of the plastic case were not put together right was the most annoying to me. Maybe that will be gone with the next one. If it is not, then I may look to try to see what is causing it.

Offline losing_ctrl

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 11 May 2017, 21:27:52 »

Wood desk... veneer top so level top. My HHKB Pro 2 does not wobble in any spot on my desk but the Type-S wobbles everywhere.

I really like the lack of sound of the Type-S. So if the next new Type-S that comes in tomorrow only has a wobble, I will surely try the recommendations here and try to fix it. That said, the case popping like the top and bottom part of the plastic case were not put together right was the most annoying to me. Maybe that will be gone with the next one. If it is not, then I may look to try to see what is causing it.

If you think the HHKB Type-S has a lack of sound, wait until you get your 104U silent. More quietness!

Offline DaBubbs

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 11 May 2017, 21:43:07 »

If you think the HHKB Type-S has a lack of sound, wait until you get your 104U silent. More quietness!
Yeah, the endgame is to have a 87U silent (with purple sliders... black 87U with white keys) and an HHKB Type-S. It will be interesting to see which one is more quiet.

Offline losing_ctrl

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 11 May 2017, 22:16:19 »

Yeah, the endgame is to have a 87U silent (with purple sliders... black 87U with white keys) and an HHKB Type-S. It will be interesting to see which one is more quiet.

That is going to be sweet. I am thinking of doing something like that with an 87U 55g that I have coming in the mail. At work I've been switching off between my 104U silent and my HHKB Type-S. Both are great in their own way. But the 104U is hands down quieter than the HHKB Type-S. Possibly because of the variable weight nature of the 104U - the light switches encourage lighter keystrokes perhaps.

Offline DaBubbs

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 11 May 2017, 22:21:21 »

That is going to be sweet. I am thinking of doing something like that with an 87U 55g that I have coming in the mail. At work I've been switching off between my 104U silent and my HHKB Type-S. Both are great in their own way. But the 104U is hands down quieter than the HHKB Type-S. Possibly because of the variable weight nature of the 104U - the light switches encourage lighter keystrokes perhaps.
Yep, that is my issue, I am not a big fan of light switches in general. I totally agree, both the HHKB and the RF are great!

Offline Stabilized

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 11:56:26 »
I had a similar problem when I got my Type-s, I noticed that there was a bulge in the case causing it: it was the ferite bead over the cable misaligned in the bottom case (there's a groove that it should have sat in, maybe came out during shipping).
Then I noticed that it made a buzzing sound when I hit the spacebar, and I fixed this one this mod:

Now it's really quiet, even more so then the Nopre clone boards  :thumb:

Offline PleaseBeMyFriend

• formerly honsoo
  • reddit /u/PleaseBeMyFriend
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 12:24:15 »
I think the boards are designed for that bit of give...

You see this with Realforces a lot..it does require a bit of a twist to get it perfect...

From what I've seen, there shouldn't be a point where this risks the board either..the contact points aren't near somewhere where this is a potential problem....

I haven't had this particular problem with the HHKB though..

Yup - I've had this with 2 of my RFs and I just twist it a bit and it's fine.

Offline brianjking

• always carry a towel.
    • @brianjking
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 11:35:52 »
I suggest the official PFU HHKB Anti Vibration Mats. They're around $24 on Amazon.co.jp or $33 on smartimports.net. They not only resolve any wobble issues, they also really help silence the board especially when using it on top of a laptop keyboard. The mat is slightly tacky as well which keeps it from slipping off the laptop keyboard or whenever you're using the keyboard at any incline (such as on your lap on a couch or train).

TGR 910 (Healios) | HHKB BT KBDFans Silence-X | Roadkit (Cherry MX Silent Blacks) |Leopold FC750r (Cherry MX Silent Reds |TADA68 (Zealios) | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S w/ Hasu BT | HHKB Pro 2 JP w/ Hasu BT & KBDFans Silence-X | RAMA M10-A w/ Zealios TINA-C w/ Cherry MX Silent Blacks HHKB BT Type-S

Offline clickityClackity

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 12:24:41 »
I suggest the official PFU HHKB Anti Vibration Mats. They're around $24 on Amazon.co.jp or $33 on smartimports.net. They not only resolve any wobble issues, they also really help silence the board especially when using it on top of a laptop keyboard. The mat is slightly tacky as well which keeps it from slipping off the laptop keyboard or whenever you're using the keyboard at any incline (such as on your lap on a couch or train).
In case anyone is interested: https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/aw/d/B06XPM1VT3/

Offline brianjking

• always carry a towel.
    • @brianjking
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 13:48:46 »
In case anyone is interested: https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/aw/d/B06XPM1VT3/

Thanks, this version will work for the Pro 2 & JP boards. There's a separate version for the HHKB Professional BT model.
TGR 910 (Healios) | HHKB BT KBDFans Silence-X | Roadkit (Cherry MX Silent Blacks) |Leopold FC750r (Cherry MX Silent Reds |TADA68 (Zealios) | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S w/ Hasu BT | HHKB Pro 2 JP w/ Hasu BT & KBDFans Silence-X | RAMA M10-A w/ Zealios TINA-C w/ Cherry MX Silent Blacks HHKB BT Type-S

Offline shadowku

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 15:30:17 »
I think it's going to be a real lottery if you're going to keep trying until you get one that isn't slightly warped. Not that it's not worth it, but it's difficult and frustrating.

I recommend having a desk/keyboard/mouse mat under your keyboard because it further dampens the sound making the keyboard quieter. This should also help with the wobble (whether you try to flex your keyboard back or not).

If you're very happy with your normal Pro 2, you can also get Hypersphere rings (http://www.ebay.com/itm/90-Silencing-Rings-for-Topre-Switch-Keyboards-/252926800432?hash=item3ae39cb230:g:zjAAAOSwLVZVtoi4)
They're definitely on the expensive side of silencing rings but they're fantastic and they have a very minimal affect on the feel of the board while making it quieter.

I drive a Hypersphere'd HHKB on a matt at work and it's as quiet as it gets for a keyboard.

HHKB Pro2      FC660C

Offline clickityClackity

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 15:49:06 »
I think it's going to be a real lottery if you're going to keep trying until you get one that isn't slightly warped. Not that it's not worth it, but it's difficult and frustrating.

I recommend having a desk/keyboard/mouse mat under your keyboard because it further dampens the sound making the keyboard quieter. This should also help with the wobble (whether you try to flex your keyboard back or not).

If you're very happy with your normal Pro 2, you can also get Hypersphere rings (http://www.ebay.com/itm/90-Silencing-Rings-for-Topre-Switch-Keyboards-/252926800432?hash=item3ae39cb230:g:zjAAAOSwLVZVtoi4)
They're definitely on the expensive side of silencing rings but they're fantastic and they have a very minimal affect on the feel of the board while making it quieter.

I drive a Hypersphere'd HHKB on a matt at work and it's as quiet as it gets for a keyboard.
Or just use elitekeyboard soft landing pads and cut the corners (optional). It's worked perfectly for me.

For an unrelated reason I have thick pads I use as risers in the front. I've never noticed the issues mentioned here and I assume that's why... I can't for the life of me remember what these came wkth, but they've come in handy on numerous occasions. (Skull & crossbones are there because I was bored one day...)

Offline DaBubbs

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 19:44:03 »

Yeah, I do agree. Thanks for the reply. The main issue I had with the Type-S's I was getting was that the case was popping and not seated right. I just didn't feel like trying to take it apart to find out why it wasn't sitting right. I figured a slight warp I could handle, but a case that keeps popping (especially on a silent board) would drive me crazy.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 19:57:49 »
I know that this is late but my black hhkb is like this. I just threw some feet on it and it is good to go now.

Offline Blue_Moon

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 12:31:48 »
weird. i never would've noticed the logo popping sound unless you pointed it out, but if i press on the logo of my type-s, yes! there is a faint popping sound. anyway, i knew the hhkb had wobbly problems before i bought it and also got a mat. it works well. i use the corsair mm300 extended size mouse mat

it is a little irritating that the hhkb has these quirks (like the left shift key thocking, though i've grown to like the sound), but none of this affects the awesome typing experience. it's my favorite kb
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 May 2017, 12:33:19 by Blue_Moon »

Offline libertycannon

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 14:03:56 »
Not sure i think mine is good

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 14:07:48 »

Or just use elitekeyboard soft landing pads and cut the corners (optional). It's worked perfectly for me.

For an unrelated reason I have thick pads I use as risers in the front. I've never noticed the issues mentioned here and I assume that's why... I can't for the life of me remember what these came wkth, but they've come in handy on numerous occasions. (Skull & crossbones are there because I was bored one day...)
Show Image
Show Image

Do you ever come back to your PC see a notepad/sticky note opened with the words "Kill me please" typed in?
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 May 2017, 14:09:44 by DudeSnail »

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 14:11:49 »

Show Image
Show Image

Offline fendent

• * Maker
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 14:23:26 »

Show Image
Show Image

Offline clickityClackity

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 15:03:29 »

Show Image
Show Image

Show Image

Ha, there's so many potentially cringeworthy things in my comment, I'm really not sure which one to respond to. She types like a dream though!

Offline Doluded

• road to black star
HHKB Type-S Issues
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 24 May 2017, 15:19:04 »
I just tried pressing down on my Type-S and I got that same kind of click. Not really a big deal for me but it's weird that it's there.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 22 June 2017, 22:02:36 »
My HHKB wobbles a bit sometimes.

Usually a very gentle twist will stop it.

I usually have it resting on a folder sheet of drawer liner though - stops most of the wobble and dampens the downstroke a bit so I can enjoy the upthock more.

I've also had must more substantial MX-based keyboard wobbling a bit - again a twist resolved the issue.

Strangely my Model M keyboards are all as wobble-free as.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ