Author Topic: A switch between Blue and Green?  (Read 5177 times)

Offline A Future Pilot

• A Descentr
A switch between Blue and Green?
« on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 15:32:33 »
The title basically says it all...I love clicky switches, and I'm really liking the Cherry Greens on my Ducky, but it'd be great if they were just a touch less stiff. Really something between Blue and Green. Anything like that out there?
Here's the WW1 Flying Ace standing beside his Sopwith Camel

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
Re: A switch between Blue and Green?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 17:30:44 »
Ghettos greens?

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 17:52:52 »
I feel like the Gateron Greens feel softer even at the same spring weight. You could always spring swap them.
-Dana

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 18:01:51 »
Buckling Springs. Not quite as stiff as Greens but still stiffer than Blues.

Also Buckling springs are just better in every other way in general!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 18:07:18 »
ur talking about  80 grams  vs 45..

so you're at 65 grams..

They have 55-65 gram springs..

But mx springs lose 5 grams over time,  so you're going to hit 75  on your NEW green switches, if you use them enough... eventually.

Which is not hugely different from 65, especially after getting used to it.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 19:21:25 »
Only option is to spring-swap.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 19:39:46 »
asdf

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 20:13:41 »

so you're at 65 grams..

But mx springs lose 5 grams over time,  so you're going to hit 75  on your NEW green switches, if you use them enough... eventually.

Aftermarket springs are usually measured in bottom-out force. Blues bottom out between 60-65cN, Greens between 80-90cN, so 60-65cN springs wouldn't suffice. 72cN springs are probably closer to what he's looking for.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 20:36:58 »

so you're at 65 grams..

Aftermarket springs are usually measured in bottom-out force. Blues bottom out between 60-65cN, Greens between 80-90cN, so 60-65cN springs wouldn't suffice. 72cN springs are probably closer to what he's looking for.

ah right..  that's actually what i meant.. i typed it out wrong in the post,  bottom out force vs actuation

thx for the correction..

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 18:45:15 »
Buckling Springs. Not quite as stiff as Greens but still stiffer than Blues... Also Buckling springs are just better in every other way in general!

I had the same idea when I saw your topic. Have you tried a Model M (IBM, Lexmark or Unicomp)? That may be what you're actually looking for.

I like MX Blues and Greens plenty, but there's nothing like a well-maintained BS board IMHO.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 00:04:39 »
Montereys. Which are a much better switch design anyway.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 05:15:53 »
Aftermarket springs or Outemu Blues, which are in between (and arguably better than Cherry Blues anyhow).
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline A Future Pilot

• A Descentr
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 14:06:01 »
Thank you all for the replies!!

I've never gotten the chance to try buckling spring, but I've heard wonderful things about them. The problem with them for me is the 2 key rollover, and the lack of aftermarket keycap support :/ (If someone could make a cherry-compatible NKRO buckling-spring keyboard, I'd buy it in a heartbeat).

I'm thinking I'll try Gateron greens next. I've heard Outemu don't last as long as Cherry or Gateron, is that true?

After a brief search of Montereys, it looks like they're an extremely rare switch, so I probably won't be able to find any :/

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 15:47:18 »
Not Cherry MX compatible but you could look into Matias Tactile switches. They feel better than either MX Blue or Green to me. The tone of the click is also more satisfying to me.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 16:45:22 »
Montereys are uncommon but by no means rare. You can buy a NIB one for $75 with no problem.

If you'd buy a nkro buckling spring board, check out the Model F, which has it. Some people do custom dyesub buckling spring mount keycaps, but the stock caps are already better than any keycaps being produced anywhere in the world pretty much.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline A Future Pilot

• A Descentr
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 09:22:46 »
I think I'm gonna try for a Northgate Omnikey next. It's a good sight cheaper than the Model F would be.

Offline A Future Pilot

• A Descentr
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 24 May 2017, 22:00:50 »
So I went to the /r/mk meet-up in Nashville and got to try out a bunch of stuff there. Sadly, instead of allowing me to pick a favorite switch, it just made things worse! Lol

I tried the Matias Clickys on a KBD V60 (I don't know if them being on that board makes a significant difference or not). I absolutely LOVE the sound they make, but they felt "plasticy"...cheap maybe. I think it was a combination of the extra wobble and the way they drop after the click. The click itself felt good, it was just the bit after it that I disliked...almost like what I imagine using a plastic plate instead of a metal one would feel like. Just weak and cheap feeling.

I got to try a buckling spring, and it's definitely not for me. The click was so far down on the keypress, and the way the pressure built up throughout the travel felt really odd to me.

I tried Topre on a HHKB...you may hate me for this, but it reminded me of membrane keyboards (though granted, not as bad. I feel like all linear - and even non-clicky tactile - switches remind me of membrane boards though).

I like Gateron Greens, though it felt like some boards with them felt more like blues. I figure that's probably from use, and so Cherry Greens may become slightly weaker over time and therefore better in my eyes.

So my dream switch would be the sound of a Matias Click with the feel of a stiff Gateron Green (or maybe a weak Cherry Green). Anything like that exist anywhere? Lol

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 24 May 2017, 22:43:13 »
So my dream switch would be the sound of a Matias Click with the feel of a stiff Gateron Green (or maybe a weak Cherry Green). Anything like that exist anywhere? Lol
You should give Alps SKCM Blue's or Whites a try.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 24 May 2017, 23:42:59 »
Are you up for some soldering? Massdrop's group buy on Gateron switches just hit its "lowest price" of 120 switches for $25 + shipping, and Greens are included. Seems like an excellent chance to try them.

Gat. Greens are the same weight as Cherry MX Greens (80g), but they're smoother, so they don't feel as heavy, IMHO. They have a more pronounced click too—and as we all know, clickiness = goodness. (And no, I won't argue with anyone about that!)
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline Lazylewis

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 25 May 2017, 07:32:29 »
So I went to the /r/mk meet-up in Nashville and got to try out a bunch of stuff there. Sadly, instead of allowing me to pick a favorite switch, it just made things worse! Lol

So to summarise, you hated everything. New hobby maybe?