Author Topic: Does different types of topre boards have different feels?  (Read 1891 times)

Offline snarfarlarkus

Does different types of topre boards have different feels?
« on: Tue, 20 June 2017, 07:15:41 »
Hey guys I'm about to  purchase a topre board and was just wondering if silencing (hypersphere/type s) or brands have an effect on typing feel. I know  Leopold and RF use metal plates which should result in  a more solid and subjectively  better feel  but I've read  many times over that hhkb's feel  better due to  its all plastic design?

I've tried an RF 55g but it didn't really  appeal  to me even after giving it time, it just felt 'boring'... I'm  hoping something like the hhkb wont have that same feel?

So I'm just wondering if silencing or brands do effect the feel  of topre boards and if so, by how much and should I really consider it when purchasing a board?

Thanks!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Does different types of topre boards have different feels?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 20 June 2017, 07:21:40 »
Well, Hyperspheres are WAY WAY overpriced for what they are. little rubber and paper sheets.

It's criminal what that Pig charges.

As for feel.. It will absolutely make a difference.

However, it's important to remember that the SILENCED version of the topre boards have different slider spacing, which allows for NO-precompression of the rings.

This is important in preserving the FEEL of the Topre brand..

So hypersphere may  somewhat work in terms of silencing,   But many people who has tried them (NOT ALL) say they've completely changed the feel of the Topre travel, objectively WORSE..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 20 June 2017, 07:27:19 »
As for Topre feeling --Boring--..

Well........... I agree with you,  But then what _isn't_ boring.. 

Topre feels exactly like the membrane sheets we've had all growing up..  The slider is smoother, but there's not a whole lot of differentiation beyond that..

If you want something _WOW_  probably buckling spring is the most tactile,  but short of hooking car batteries up to a keyboard which shocks you on every keypress..      You're probably going to have trouble being Truly excited over what's fundamentally a typewriter..

Offline snarfarlarkus

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 21 June 2017, 02:03:58 »
Well, Hyperspheres are WAY WAY overpriced for what they are. little rubber and paper sheets.

It's criminal what that Pig charges.

As for feel.. It will absolutely make a difference.

However, it's important to remember that the SILENCED version of the topre boards have different slider spacing, which allows for NO-precompression of the rings.

This is important in preserving the FEEL of the Topre brand..

So hypersphere may  somewhat work in terms of silencing,   But many people who has tried them (NOT ALL) say they've completely changed the feel of the Topre travel, objectively WORSE..

Yes, I  totally agree with his pricing, I  don't even know why he charges so  much  and  people still buy them. They're literally dental bands with the  'best' hardness and he charges almost $50 for a pack of 60...

Is silencing kind of similar to o-rings for MX switches? Because I really disliked the shortened key travel on blues and  reds when I tried o-rings.

As for Topre feeling --Boring--..

Well........... I agree with you,  But then what _isn't_ boring.. 

Topre feels exactly like the membrane sheets we've had all growing up..  The slider is smoother, but there's not a whole lot of differentiation beyond that..

If you want something _WOW_  probably buckling spring is the most tactile,  but short of hooking car batteries up to a keyboard which shocks you on every keypress..      You're probably going to have trouble being Truly excited over what's fundamentally a typewriter..

I  have a Model F AT converted to  ANSI as my main board but I'm experiencing some voltage problems with the capacitive sensors. Some keys just stop working and you have to find the right voltage to  fix it which happens very often. For  now I've been using my GH60 with zealiostotles 67g and its pretty good. I would love to try beam spring, that would be my endgame if it came in  a usable  layout.

Would you say steel backplate topre boards like RF and Leopold would feel objectively better than HHKB? I know the general consensus with switches is  plate mounted > PCB mount  but I've read so  many people saying that they prefer the HHKB for its "thockier" sound and feel but at the same time, the keyboard overall feels lighter and  cheaper.

I  can't decide if I want a plate mounted trope board or  HHKB. Since I disliked the RF 87U 55g, I think I might try the HHKB but really I don't  know. The all plastic design is concerning at this price point.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 21 June 2017, 05:20:27 »
Would you say steel backplate topre boards like RF and Leopold would feel objectively better than HHKB? I know the general consensus with switches is  plate mounted > PCB mount  but I've read so  many people saying that they prefer the HHKB for its "thockier" sound and feel but at the same time, the keyboard overall feels lighter and  cheaper.
Some of us prefer the acoustics or flexibility of plate-less keyboards. Well, I most certainly do. Except with Topre; stock undamped HHKB Pro sounds weird to me.

The all plastic design is concerning at this price point.
I get that there's aggressive marketing promoting metal as "premium", you don't have to buy into that, though.

It's likely connected to the confusion about "heavy = high quality". Well, in case of portable gear it's the other way around. They could've stuck a piece of metal inside the HHKB Pro; they actually did that with HHKB Lite—unfortunately. The plastic case as a whole has other advantages too; flexibility again and all that jazz.

What I do find inexcusable, though, is the lack of proper rubber feet. It's easily fixed, but why? Why would the omit them?

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 21 June 2017, 05:32:49 »
A lot of people find 45g Topre to feel a little snappier and less mushy on the HHKB, must be something to do with the fact it's mounted on the plastic case rather than a metal plate. It also enunciates the "thock" more and is a little louder.

Although if you want something really snappy feeling just go for 55g or even just BTC Domes.

Offline Altis

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 21 June 2017, 14:11:32 »
My HHKBs are definitely more "poppy" than my 87Us. I haven't tried a Leopold but from what I gather they feel a bit different as well (quite good, I hear).

So brand certainly does make a difference... especially if you get the clones like Royal Kludge or Plum.

But if you find it too "boring", then I'm not sure any Topre will address that. It's not really the switch type that will give you a buzz, especially compared with your IBM Model F.

Could always try Alps... they're one of the more interesting switches, IMO.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)