Author Topic: Relocating washing machine and dryer...  (Read 3871 times)

Offline jonathanyu

Relocating washing machine and dryer...
« on: Thu, 22 June 2017, 03:36:10 »
Anyone have experience with this?

My garage is so narrow that it is almost impossible to open passenger door of my car after parked in the garage because the washing machine and dryer are in the way

So this is what I am planning to do
More

Is it something that I can do with a friend or two, or is it something I better hire professional to do it?

Offline Gajible

Re: Relocating washing machine and dryer...
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 22 June 2017, 03:47:18 »
Well, you'll need water lines and a vent, assuming they're not some kind of self contained thing.

Moving them is easy.. Making then function, that would be the tough part

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 22 June 2017, 03:52:06 »
Well, you'll need water lines and a vent, assuming they're not some kind of self contained thing.

yeah, water lines and vent are what make me concern.
can I just use some pipe to extend the water lines and those silver tube on range hood to extend the vent above ground?

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 22 June 2017, 04:03:41 »
Am I invited? I'm in the area.
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 22 June 2017, 07:03:51 »

yeah, water lines and vent are what make me concern.
can I just use some pipe to extend the water lines and those silver tube on range hood to extend the vent above ground?

You can use extensions, sure. It won't look pretty but it will definitely work.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 22 June 2017, 07:31:59 »
Don't forget about the power and or gas depending on model.

Typically dryers use non standard outlets and need a higher voltage with a dedicated circuit breaker.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 22 June 2017, 08:05:32 »
Pretty sure you're not suppose to do this unlicensed..

But if it's a great distance off, that's alot of pipe to line the wall

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 22 June 2017, 13:35:08 »
Your biggest problem may be running the drain line. I assume that the garage has a slab floor. You will likely have to demo the slab to move the DWV piping then run a new vent pipe through the roof. Gas, electrical, and supply plumbing don't have to observe gravity so can usually be routed one way or another. The dryer venting could also be a challenge if the new location isn't at an exterior wall.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 22 June 2017, 14:49:34 »
Your biggest problem may be running the drain line. I assume that the garage has a slab floor. You will likely have to demo the slab to move the DWV piping then run a new vent pipe through the roof. Gas, electrical, and supply plumbing don't have to observe gravity so can usually be routed one way or another. The dryer venting could also be a challenge if the new location isn't at an exterior wall.

also, might need to tip the inspector, hahahahaha, unless you know exactly what the codes are..

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 22 June 2017, 17:49:16 »
do it texas style and just put them on your back porch
-Dana

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 22 June 2017, 18:03:27 »
The dryer might be a much easier move than the washer. Wires and vents are far easier than plumbing and drains.

Could you stand having them 10 feet apart, and/or would it open up an appropriate space for the car door?
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 22 June 2017, 21:52:17 »
Get a smaller car?

Or build a shelf high enough that the car door can open under it, put the appliances on top.  Extension cables probably wouldn't need to be anywhere as long.  This would work best if they are front-loaders.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline DaBubbs

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 22 June 2017, 22:02:03 »
For a job like you are describing, I would hire someone for that.

Personally, I would be worried that I do not get everything hooked up properly and I start having electrical shorts or (even worse) have water leaking somewhere or not flowing properly. Having water build up in walls or around wood can easily lead to a big issue. Wood can be wet and dry off but continually wet wood rots and it welcomes insects and termites.
When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid.

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 26 June 2017, 03:25:30 »
Pretty sure you're not suppose to do this unlicensed..

But if it's a great distance off, that's alot of pipe to line the wall

there are lot of stuff we are not suppose to do..

The dryer might be a much easier move than the washer. Wires and vents are far easier than plumbing and drains.

Could you stand having them 10 feet apart, and/or would it open up an appropriate space for the car door?

I have actually think about this, but my car's door still won't be able to open even half way.

Can I just leave all the pipe and hose on the floor so that I dont need to worry about the slab...or they must be hide underground?

do it texas style and just put them on your back porch

Its San Francisco... I don't think the tiny thing in my yard can even consider as porch

Get a smaller car?

Or build a shelf high enough that the car door can open under it, put the appliances on top.  Extension cables probably wouldn't need to be anywhere as long.  This would work best if they are front-loaders.

I have a corolla right now, that really the smallest car I can get considering my family.
My garage ceiling height is pretty low, so I don't think build a shelf would work.

For a job like you are describing, I would hire someone for that.

Personally, I would be worried that I do not get everything hooked up properly and I start having electrical shorts or (even worse) have water leaking somewhere or not flowing properly. Having water build up in walls or around wood can easily lead to a big issue. Wood can be wet and dry off but continually wet wood rots and it welcomes insects and termites.

yeah, the more I think about it, the more likely I am going to hire someone to do it. or at least get a quote first.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 26 June 2017, 19:52:38 »

Can I just leave all the pipe and hose on the floor so that I dont need to worry about the slab...or they must be hide underground?

In theory you could build up a floor with something like 1x8 timbers standing on edge on the concrete floor with a plywood floor built on top of them.

That way, you could still get a gravity drain, but unfortunately it might have to pass in front of the door and along quite a bit of wall, which is probably a deal-killer.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 27 June 2017, 21:39:21 »

My garage is so narrow that it is almost impossible to open passenger door of my car after parked in the garage because the washing machine and dryer are in the way

More
Show Image

Is it something that I can do with a friend or two, or is it something I better hire professional to do it?

You live in San Francisco, there should be an app for this.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 27 June 2017, 21:40:17 »

More
Show Image

You live in San Francisco, there should be an app for this.

Grinder ?

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 07 July 2017, 16:45:50 »
So let me get this straight: You're moving them to another wall? Not just raising them higher on the same wall?
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg