Author Topic: Portable air conditioner  (Read 2885 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Portable air conditioner
« on: Tue, 25 July 2017, 16:44:01 »
Haven't looked into air conditioners much for years

Just saw these portable ac ads pop up on the PC,

The unit makes no sense,  it has the hot coil inside the room.

Doesn't that make it significantly less efficient than a window unit, even if you vent it outside. ?

Why would anyone buy this ?

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
Re: Portable air conditioner
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 25 July 2017, 16:48:43 »
Haven't looked into air conditioners much for years

Just saw these portable ac ads pop up on the PC,

The unit makes no sense,  it has the hot coil inside the room.

Doesn't that make it significantly less efficient than a window unit, even if you vent it outside. ?

Why would anyone buy this ?

I have one.  For a room where you cannot physically mount a window unit or in my case a rental, these work great.  The unit is very well insulated and the tubing used to exhaust the hot air is double walled. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 25 July 2017, 16:53:17 »

I have one.  For a room where you cannot physically mount a window unit or in my case a rental, these work great.  The unit is very well insulated and the tubing used to exhaust the hot air is double walled. 

Does the air that it's using to cool the HOT coil also come from the ROOM itself ?

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 25 July 2017, 17:04:53 »

Does the air that it's using to cool the HOT coil also come from the ROOM itself ?

The unit I have does. 

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 25 July 2017, 17:09:40 »

The unit I have does. 

How does it work ?

so you cool the room,  then the ac takes the air that it made cold,  and pump part of that out of your room, where you want the cold air to be ?

Shouldn't the unit have 2 hoses ?

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 09:54:45 »

The unit I have does. 

How does it work ?

so you cool the room,  then the ac takes the air that it made cold,  and pump part of that out of your room, where you want the cold air to be ?

Shouldn't the unit have 2 hoses ?

It works pretty well.  It pulls air in from the side and the motor that blows out the cold air is very powerful and blows it across the room.  It trims about 15 deg. F from what was there pretty quickly.  My unit is only 8000btu, so it runs out of capacity around the low to mid 70's. 

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 11:22:22 »
I have two of those to supplement the upstairs cooling and have wondered the same thing. I think that it does exhaust conditioned inside air. It would make a lot more sense to have two hoses as you suggest to keep the cooled air inside. The concern is similar to a fireplace using warmed inside air for combustion air. In both cases air would have to infiltrate into the house somewhere reducing the efficiency of what you're trying to achieve.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 11:24:26 »
I have one which I received for free. They are super heavy and not very "portable," but you can move them around.
The one I have has the vents but they're always popping out. I plan on drilling them into their ports but my drill died on me and haven't gotten a replacement yet.

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 11:31:06 »
I have one which I received for free. They are super heavy and not very "portable," but you can move them around.
The one I have has the vents but they're always popping out. I plan on drilling them into their ports but my drill died on me and haven't gotten a replacement yet.

This made me feel bad. I read this in a defeated voice.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 11:31:50 »

This made me feel bad. I read this in a defeated voice.

I am defeated.  :(

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 11:42:51 »
I have two of those to supplement the upstairs cooling and have wondered the same thing. I think that it does exhaust conditioned inside air. It would make a lot more sense to have two hoses as you suggest to keep the cooled air inside. The concern is similar to a fireplace using warmed inside air for combustion air. In both cases air would have to infiltrate into the house somewhere reducing the efficiency of what you're trying to achieve.

Just googled it..  They now make dual hose models which segregates the inside/outside air..

So it basically works exactly like a window unit..  only outside air is used to cool the HOT coils,  the Inside air stays Inside, and there is no pressure differential.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 12:01:31 »

u missed the dewalt sale they had at home depot.. only $150 for the drill + you get a 5Ah battery, quick charger, and dewalt tool bag.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 22:04:45 »
I have one and it's useless unless you're sitting in front of, and with 1 metre of, the vents.

And as soon as I turn it off the temperature goes straight back up.

I didn't bother using it at all last summer.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 22:42:05 »
I have one and it's useless unless you're sitting in front of, and with 1 metre of, the vents.

is it a dual hose model ?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 01 August 2017, 21:48:48 »

is it a dual hose model ?

Only got one exhaust hose coming out of it.  Vents on the side for air intake.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ