Author Topic: Does Tp4 need this ?  (Read 3328 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Does Tp4 need this ?
« on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 08:48:46 »

191352-0

Only $499.... 2 flexvolt batteries,  and charger..

Already own a cheapee miter saw,  but not a sliding one..  this one slides... and I assume is more accurate than my harbor frit saw..

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Does Tp4 need this ?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 08:54:50 »
What are you going to build?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 09:01:12 »

IDK yet..

but when I was doing wood-stuff the last time,  my current miter was consistently 0.5-1 degree off, and it wasn't quite big enough to cut larger boards....  So I had to do the miter saw dance, flipping the board over cutting it twice thing..

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 09:06:33 »
why would you ever need this on batteries?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 09:14:37 »
why would you ever need this on batteries?

DC brushless.. M0ar P0wrrrr.. m0ar RPM

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 09:20:17 »

(Attachment Link)

Only $499.... 2 flexvolt batteries,  and charger..

Already own a cheapee miter saw,  but not a sliding one..  this one slides... and I assume is more accurate than my harbor frit saw..

Show Image

I'd say don't waste your money on the cordless version, miter saws are way to much for batteries of any voltage. The only usage you can really get out of these is working with trim out materials such as crown moulding, baseboard, quater round, shoe moulding, etc. Even at that you'll be changing the batteries ever hr. or so. Very frustrating to work with on a full job IMHO. I have a buddy who has one of these & he brought it to a trim job we were doing, I was so sick of it after one day I brought my proper corded miter saw in the following day. The batteries constantly needed replaced & we blowing cuts left & right cause the batteries would die in the middle of cuts (Li-on batteries tend to just stop flat out when they need charged vs Ni-cads that would slow down some which alerted you to the fact they were in need of charging). The only thing I would find this saw useful for is repair work where you'll only be making a few cuts on the job.

I would suggest this saw TBH, https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-15-Amp-Corded-12-in-Double-Bevel-Sliding-Compound-Miter-Saw-DWS779/206541015, it's corded so no worries about power, takes a 12' blade so the cutting height is good, slides for cutting wider materials, is double bevel to make life much easier for making miter cuts, & is $100 cheaper. Then if you really want to go all out you can get the same saw I have, https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-15-Amp-12-in-Double-Bevel-Sliding-Compound-Miter-Saw-DWS780/202922350. Although the extra features you get for the $200 more it costs are more useful for working with large framing lumber than anything else making it a great job site saw but kinda overkill for a home project saw.
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 March 2018, 09:22:42 by Rob27shred »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 09:49:56 »

--knowledge--

Well wouldn't the cordless version work the same way as a corded, if cord was necessary?

because it has the ac-adapter if I intend to plug it in.. 

and it costs the same as the $599 corded

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 09:58:51 »

--knowledge--

Well wouldn't the cordless version work the same way as a corded, if cord was necessary?

because it has the ac-adapter if I intend to plug it in.. 

and it costs the same as the $599 corded

Ok if it does have the capabilities to be plugged into to an AC outlet I would say go for it then. I'm not sure if the one my buddy brought to that job was a different one or or he just didn't have the AC adapter for it but I don't remember his being able to be plugged into an AC outlet. That's why I hated the thing so much, LOL! With that capability you can pretty much disregard what I said about it. :thumb:

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 10:20:13 »
Don't do it.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 11:53:12 »
Do it.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 21:01:03 »

Build?

Who said anything about building?

This is for destroying stuff - cutting things into smaller things ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 21:10:18 »

Build?

Who said anything about building?

This is for destroying stuff - cutting things into smaller things ;)

Tp4 = Not a murdurer

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 22:54:02 »
I assume this is not for a jobsite... In which case, odds are you won't use it enough to keep the batteries maintained.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 00:03:08 »
Are you going to be chopping up those evil AR-15 semi-automatic rifles?

If so, don’t just chop the barrel, as you might inadvertently manufacture a short barreled rifle, which is prohibited by the National Firearms Act. You might get a visit from the BATF, if they found out somehow.

Yes, I’m talking about that stupid person running for Congress that posted a video to Facebook of herself doing just that.

:))
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 01:51:53 »
Instead of buying lots of tools, form a makerspace in your area and get a collection of better, more expensive tools funded through crowdfunding and sponsoring.
Then also use the makerspace as a platform to spread interest about mechanical keyboards and for hosting keyboard parties.

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 09:00:34 »
While Dewalt makes a lot of fine tools, I’m not fond of their miter saws. I own two and don’t like them as much as some of the other brands I’ve owned.
Batteries are expensive and unless you frequently need them where power isn’t available, there is little advantage having battery power for stationary tools.
Any convenience a cordless miter saw offers may be offset by the additional weight. The saw is heavy and bulky enough without batteries.

Offline JP

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 09:27:55 »
Heck I bought an old Craftsman (corded) model at a garage sale for a steal at $20. No way I would spend that much on one.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline buckyballs

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 09:29:37 »
Are you going to be chopping up those evil AR-15 semi-automatic rifles?

If so, don’t just chop the barrel, as you might inadvertently manufacture a short barreled rifle, which is prohibited by the National Firearms Act. You might get a visit from the BATF, if they found out somehow.

Yes, I’m talking about that stupid person running for Congress that posted a video to Facebook of herself doing just that.

:))

I'm pretty sure the NRA would support all and any modifications to weapons as long as you promise to buy more weapons from them.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 09:31:17 »
Heck I bought an old Craftsman (corded) model at a garage sale for a steal at $20. No way I would spend that much on one.

But Brushless !!

Offline JP

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 10:36:00 »
Look at Japanese carpentry. They built entire temples without screws, nails, or fancy cordless saws.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 18:26:44 »
Sliding compound mitre saw is probably one of the most versatile saws next to a hand held circular saw. I personally dont travel with my saw so i didnt need the battery powered one... I got this one and then bought a real blade for it. https://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-C12RSH2-12-Inch-Sliding-Compound/dp/B01GET8278/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1520983553&sr=8-3
-Dana

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 18:32:27 »
Sliding compound mitre saw is probably one of the most versatile saws next to a hand held circular saw. I personally dont travel with my saw so i didnt need the battery powered one... I got this one and then bought a real blade for it. https://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-C12RSH2-12-Inch-Sliding-Compound/dp/B01GET8278/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1520983553&sr=8-3

Hrrrrrmm.. The vertical handle.. That's m0ar like the ergodox..

Just noticed that.. Hrrrrmm...

Offline JP

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 19:23:38 »
I wonder what kind of switches it has?  :)

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 19:37:06 »

Im with this dude.

Dont go with cordless. Too little Ah for that much power depending on your use. But since it has an adapter I guess you cant lose....?

Offline JP