Author Topic: Ear Cleaning: How often?  (Read 2930 times)

Offline dingusxmcgee

Ear Cleaning: How often?
« on: Tue, 06 July 2021, 16:36:38 »
How often do you clean out your ears? And how do you do it?

I find myself scraping ear wax out of my ears every few weeks and seems like I get a good amount each time.
A variety of “instruments” are used but a small screw driver usually does the best job

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Ear Cleaning: How often?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 06 July 2021, 16:48:28 »
Ouch! NO!

Get one of these for $1.99 at Walgreens.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 06 July 2021, 16:53:24 »
Just the cottonswab after every shower. nohting fnacy

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 06 July 2021, 17:10:37 »
It's a tricky one b/c General Practitioners say different than ENT.  ENT will tell you never do more than clean the outside of your ear.  So, the experts will say never put anything in there at all.  Ever.  I think the idea is that there shouldn't be any reason to clean it out, unless there is something wrong with your ears.  It's like asking what you should clean your pee hole out with.  There's no need.

But I still do :)   The ear thing.  The other one seems more painful.
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 July 2021, 17:22:29 by pixelpusher »

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 06 July 2021, 18:32:02 »
I would say that the "proper" method is to use an ear cleaning oil: A few drops in the ear and wait a few minutes while laying on the other ear. Then spray the ear with water.
But that takes a bit of time, so I use a cotton swab most of the time, carefully - although doctors say that you should never have anything enter your ear canal.

I've once been to a health centre to get a wax-plug removed by a nurse: she used a water spray and nothing else.

Offline dingusxmcgee

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 06 July 2021, 18:39:53 »
I have definitely heard the “never stick anything in there” more than once though I’ve never seen that little ear cleaner device before.

The other day I got an Instagram ad for a little ear scraper that has a camera and a Bluetooth connection to your smartphone so you can see what you’re scraping
I would never buy it but boy howdy would I use it if someone got it for me.

Hadn’t heard of ear oil, but I have used some ear candles several years ago. They seemed to REALLY do the trick and was a pretty interesting experience to boot.

Offline Faceman76

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 06 July 2021, 19:04:41 »
Cotton swab every day, once a week I dip the swab in alcohol. Never had a buildup issue.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

TKC 1800, Crystal Box Navy, Sprit 100g

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 06 July 2021, 19:08:32 »
Just the Q-tips after every shower. One side wet with warm water, the other side dry. Wet first, dry second. I’ve been doing this my whole life and had my ears professionally inspected several times, always clean.

The worries some people have seem to be unfounded. The risk is in using those cotton swabs when there is already a large amount of wax buildup in the ear canal. There is the real possibility of jamming it further down the canal with the swab, which can lead to problems like infections. When cleaned regularly, it never comes to this point in the first place and it should be fine.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 06 July 2021, 20:26:25 »

I’ve never seen that little ear cleaner device before.

I have used some ear candles several years ago.

The "button" on the shaft of the scooper prevents it from going too deep, and the rounded head prevents you from cutting the ear drum. Works great and is very much safer than a screwdriver.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/consumer-health/expert-answers/ear-candling/faq-20058212

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 06 July 2021, 20:36:28 »
I believe classically people used matchsticks.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 06 July 2021, 20:51:37 »
Once a week after a shower, 1 q-tip per ear using both ends

Offline jamster

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 06 July 2021, 22:08:51 »
It's a tricky one b/c General Practitioners say different than ENT.  ENT will tell you never do more than clean the outside of your ear.  So, the experts will say never put anything in there at all.  Ever.  I think the idea is that there shouldn't be any reason to clean it out, unless there is something wrong with your ears.  It's like asking what you should clean your pee hole out with.  There's no need.

But I still do :)   The ear thing.  The other one seems more painful.

To be fair, ENTs probably only see one end of the spectrum, where something has gone horribly, horribly wrong.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 06 July 2021, 22:36:43 »
Generally we don't tell people to open their keyboards, cut it in half, solder some wires between them.

That's for Xperts only.   Same with the ears.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 06 July 2021, 23:10:46 »
We have a shower head that can turn from spray into a single stream, so I just flush out the ol' ears when I'm in the shower.
I used to have a lot of problems with buildup inside my ear that I'd need to go to the doctor to get out. Not after I started doing this.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 06 July 2021, 23:42:17 »
We have a shower head that can turn from spray into a single stream, so I just flush out the ol' ears when I'm in the shower.
I used to have a lot of problems with buildup inside my ear that I'd need to go to the doctor to get out. Not after I started doing this.

This is highly irregular, potentially dangerous.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 07 July 2021, 00:23:25 »

This is highly irregular, potentially dangerous.

Show Image

It's not like I do it at full blast dude.
There's barely any preassure.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 07 July 2021, 07:22:12 »

Tp4 were imagining something like Jet jetting on the garden sprayer hose, as opposed to shower setting .

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 07 July 2021, 07:49:45 »
Guys, this is nuts. All it takes to do it safely and easily is 2 simple plastic gadgets that cost $2 each.

Fill the bulb with warm water and give it a strong squirt to soften the wax. Scoop out the excess, and then give it another squirt to flush out the loose scraps.

And you DON'T want to dig down to the eardrum - a layer of wax is there for a reason.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 08 July 2021, 05:31:03 »

Tp4 were imagining something like Jet jetting on the garden sprayer hose, as opposed to shower setting .

Show Image

Damn dude.
No it's not that at all. - Just a very gentle stream of water into the ear canal.

Offline iri

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 08 July 2021, 11:16:50 »
Ear cleaning innovation shouldn't stop at screwdriver.

272051-0
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Kavik

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 09 July 2021, 10:32:14 »
I use a Q-tip, but I find it extremely uncomfortable to go very deep with it. The feeling of anything touching the ear drum is highly unpleasant. I don't do it very often though, maybe once every month or two since there's rarely anything in there more often than that.

Like Findecanor, I had to have a clump of ear wax removed at the doctor's office a few years ago after some persistent ear pain. The nurse used a water gun contraption, which really hurt. She instructed me to tap out when the pain got too bad so she could back off for a second, which I had to do a couple times.

Interesting difference between populations: I remember reading that people of European decent tend to have yellow, sticky ear wax and people of East Asian decent tend to have white, dry ear wax. Idk where other ethnicities fall on the ear wax spectrum. Mine is more dark amber, so idk what's wrong with me.
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 July 2021, 10:37:09 by Kavik »
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.