Author Topic: [IC] Cat 6a S-STP cables 23awg  (Read 6355 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
[IC] Cat 6a S-STP cables 23awg
« on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 14:32:48 »
Any one interested in this?

Capable of 10Gb connection, 10x the speed of Gbe-vanilla

Screen-shielded cable.. the 4 twist pairs are individually shielded ON-TOP of the outer shielding..

AND 23awg solid core

This is not a patch cable.. this is for keystone in-wall.

The cable will go into a jack in ur wall. then you will go from there using a short run of any ol' cable

The purpose is to preserve the integrity of the "Longest runs" in your house

We need a HUGE order to make this happen.. 10+ people, 30 would be better.

I will also order the tools and do the cutting for everyone, this requires special ends because it's cat 6a

With the tooling required and ends.. it should come out to $30-35 for 100'.. we can surely make smaller runs but remember,, this is not a patch cable.

49448-049450-149452-2

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: [IC] Cat 6a S-STP cables 23awg
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 14:56:27 »
Too expensive....I got 100ft cable for like $5 the other day.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 14:57:56 »

SSTP ?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 15:01:53 »

Show Image

SSTP ?

super speed toilet paper?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 15:13:51 »
Oh I got nothing that could use up that bandwidth....regular Cat6 is still good for me.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 15:21:05 »
Oh I got nothing that could use up that bandwidth....regular Cat6 is still good for me.

well the cat 6 and cat 5 isn't really the issue for most guyz..  the SHIELDING is...  quality....

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 15:22:51 »

well the cat 6 and cat 5 isn't really the issue for most guyz..  the SHIELDING is...  quality....
Show Image

If you really want to avoid the NSA just write paper notes only and burn them when done.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 15:47:55 »

Show Image

If you really want to avoid the NSA just write paper notes only and burn them when done.

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 16:04:32 »

Show Image

The NSA reconstructs the notes from the ashes.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 16:26:37 »

Show Image

The NSA has a computer hidden in your pen that lets them recreate the writing of the note.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 16:30:23 »

Show Image

The NSA has a computer hidden in your pen that lets them recreate the writing of the note.

guys... ah... i'm not usually against thread crapping... but yea.. SSTP discussions please.. 

Offline jalaj

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 16:42:31 »
Cool idea. But don't think this is a realistic GB. The prospect of people providing exact length of cable required is unrealistic, it might be too short or excessively long. If the cables are terminated already, then they might not be able to adjust the length themselves. Also the terminated cables might be not fit through their conduit or mice holes to run through the walls.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 17:26:00 »
Cool idea. But don't think this is a realistic GB. The prospect of people providing exact length of cable required is unrealistic, it might be too short or excessively long. If the cables are terminated already, then they might not be able to adjust the length themselves. Also the terminated cables might be not fit through their conduit or mice holes to run through the walls.

The length is not an issue.. I am going to buy the tool, and cut it to length for everyone.. and the price includes the termination.

As for the mice hole..

USUALLY what you'll do is run from the closet..

You go through the ceiling of the closet, down to the back of the wall, and punch through to a jack..

and from the jack, you use a different cable to go where-ever..

This is also useful for basements, where walls won't be an issue because people will have hanging ceilings, or simply unfinished basements.. where they could just lay the cable near the ground.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 17:30:24 »
Realistically-speaking, is your connection anywhere near that fast to notice the difference?  I remember reading about ethernet cables in detail ast year when I was getting a long one to go between a couple of rooms, and realized that CAT 6 from monoprice is really all I needed.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 17:53:25 »
If you want to throw money away, why not spend a few dollars more and get the Monster Cable branded stuff.

In my experience, even cat 6 is overkill in most home/small business situations. I've done numerous 100 foot runs with cat 5e at gigabit speeds without issue at pennies on the dollar compared to this. While you could then run 10GBE, have you looked at prices for those routers and switches? And do you honestly have a need? Unless you have a raid server in your house and are sending massive files (video editing over lan?), frankly, there isn't a need for it yet, or anytime soon, especially for home use. Which is precisely why it's still so high priced, there's no demand.  Yes, shielding is good, but $35 for 100 foot of raw cable is insane.

Seriously, before anyone considers this, I would recommend you look at what the specs are for cat5e, cat6 and cat6e and then decide if you actually need to spend so much per foot. Basically, if you don't know why you need cat6e, you probably don't need it.

As for the shielding...
If you need this kind of shielding for a run in your home, re-route your wires. Home wiring isn't that complex, typically only two main areas to watch out for, the stove and your heating/cooling system. Very little else can really interfere much.
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 December 2013, 17:55:43 by Leslieann »
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 18:51:01 »
If you want to throw money away, why not spend a few dollars more and get the Monster Cable branded stuff.

In my experience, even cat 6 is overkill in most home/small business situations. I've done numerous 100 foot runs with cat 5e at gigabit speeds without issue at pennies on the dollar compared to this. While you could then run 10GBE, have you looked at prices for those routers and switches? And do you honestly have a need? Unless you have a raid server in your house and are sending massive files (video editing over lan?), frankly, there isn't a need for it yet, or anytime soon, especially for home use. Which is precisely why it's still so high priced, there's no demand.  Yes, shielding is good, but $35 for 100 foot of raw cable is insane.

Seriously, before anyone considers this, I would recommend you look at what the specs are for cat5e, cat6 and cat6e and then decide if you actually need to spend so much per foot. Basically, if you don't know why you need cat6e, you probably don't need it.

As for the shielding...
If you need this kind of shielding for a run in your home, re-route your wires. Home wiring isn't that complex, typically only two main areas to watch out for, the stove and your heating/cooling system. Very little else can really interfere much.

I'm not suggesting people run their WHOLE HOUSE with this stuff..

JUST from the outside to the router in the house..

I've seen many basements with flourscent lighting, especially the hanging ceiling type basements.. 

This is ONE cable for the main..

I'd agree the rest can be regular stp as long as it's a low gauge

Offline jalaj

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 19:44:29 »
WAN to LAN?
Unless you have g00g-fibre service, running CAT6a between the broadband modem and router/firewall is pointless because majority of the vendors don't even offer 1Gbps broadband speeds. As leslieann stated above, at the moment this stuff is still premature for residential purposes.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 18:43:35 »
Guys.

There is nothing wrong with future proofing. Rewiring your house is a pain and I'd prefer my cable job to still be relevant in 15 years. I need to ask my landlord about this 'cause I hate having my desktop connected over WIFI, and I'd dearly love to run a cable upstairs.

Also, nothing whatsoever wrong with properly shielded cable. Proper shielding is great. Even if it's "overkill", I try to ensure there's good shielding in all my cable. For best results, make sure it's grounded properly too.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 05:49:25 »
I'm all for future proofing, but like Jalaj said, when do you expect to have 10GBE on your internet connection?
Most people are not even close to getting 100meg, much less exceed 1gig. Even fewer can, or even know how to take advantage of it.

Trying to stay ahead is fine, but you aren't future proofing a generation ahead, 10GBE is easily 10 years  (possibly more) ahead of your internet connection. Trying to future proof that far ahead more often than not ends in failure. Are you sure you know what your home LAN will look like in 10 years? How about 20?  With the way home networks and ISP's are heading, there's a very real chance you will never see 10GBE coming into your home.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 07:13:33 »
I'm all for future proofing, but like Jalaj said, when do you expect to have 10GBE on your internet connection?
Most people are not even close to getting 100meg, much less exceed 1gig. Even fewer can, or even know how to take advantage of it.

Trying to stay ahead is fine, but you aren't future proofing a generation ahead, 10GBE is easily 10 years  (possibly more) ahead of your internet connection. Trying to future proof that far ahead more often than not ends in failure. Are you sure you know what your home LAN will look like in 10 years? How about 20?  With the way home networks and ISP's are heading, there's a very real chance you will never see 10GBE coming into your home.
If you have a lot of LAN parties, filesharing, etc...

Probably still overkill but it certainly isn't a bad idea to wire your house with this stuff.  Good selling point in the future.

Offline tgujay

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 13:36:36 »

Probably still overkill but it certainly isn't a bad idea to wire your house with this stuff.  Good selling point in the future.

I'm sorry but the average home buyer is not going to be wowed with your SSTP CAT6A infrastructure.
Gotta collect them all

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 13:51:52 »

I'm sorry but the average home buyer is not going to be wowed with your SSTP CAT6A infrastructure.
Yeah but they will be wowed with the fact that they don't have to worry about wireless routers and other bull****.

Offline tgujay

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 13:54:31 »

Yeah but they will be wowed with the fact that they don't have to worry about wireless routers and other bull****.

The average home buyer will want a wireless router, hell I use a wireless router for my Wii, Kindle, Roku, my girlfriends smart tv.  Having a good wired infrastructure and a wireless router are not mutually exclusive.
Gotta collect them all

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 22:57:34 »
I prefer fiber for my long runs. I have two main lines tx/rx to connect my two main switches (upstairs and downstairs). Shielding doesn't matter when your bits are photons :)

Now a pinched cable, lower light levels, this stuff concerns me.

It's going to be awhile before I upgrade to 10GbE anyway. I'm also in the process of upgrading my basement switch to a 48 port, but I've got to do a few modifications to the switch to make it a little quieter.

Offline JayG30

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 08 January 2014, 12:13:41 »
I've done pretty extensive cabling in commercial applications while working in IT related fields (engineer by trade).

In most cases CAT5E is still the go to cable for 1GbE up to about 300ft.
Personally, I never purchase CAT6 due to the ~180ft length restrictions on the only real benefit it has (10GbE).
CAT6A is what I run when needing 10GbE and don't have to worry about running cable outside, electromagnetic interference, or extremely long runs. In those other cases I'd be moving to fiber.

When running cable to desktop PC's or VoIP phones 1GbE is plenty. Theoretical max of ~125Mb/s while transferring files should be plenty for what 99% of people are using their desktop PC for. Even desktop virtualization doesn't require more then 1GbE. If you are pushing very large video/CAD files in an enterprise environment maybe you can make a case for wanting more.

Where 10GbE is beneficial and predominately used is in the server room/rack. Top of rack switches that need to be as fast as possible. Linking between racks, stuff like that. Even in large enterprise installments it's not uncommon to see a Cisco collapsed core topology with a 10GbE aggregate layer 3 switch at the core/distribution layer and 1GbE layer 2 switches at the access layer for the best price/port. Storage virtualization also tends to see heavier use to 10GbE (again hooked to the 10GbE switch). And some application servers, depending on what they are for, will have 10GbE network cards in them. But again all that is in the server room where the runs are very short. Only exception I can think of is when you need to run a fast link between a main server room to a secondary network closet (uh, I can't remember the correct term for the secondary closet). Regardless, everything along the line has to support 10GbE or you are wasting money. 10GbE patch panels, keystone jacks, switches and/or router, and network card/port in your server/PC. If you think you'll see increased performance access your NAS with 10GbE cable but your router only has 1GbE ports and your NAS only has 1GbE ports then you'll be spending considerable more money to upgrade those then the cable. Also, although I haven't had a chance to test myself, I've heard from many people that a quality Cisco 1GbE switch will outperform some of the newer and cheaper 10GbE switches on the market (ie. Netgear has some cheaper 24 & 48 port 10GbE switches but I've been told the a quality 1GbE Cisco switch performs better).

As for STP (sheilded twisted pair) or in this case S-STP, which has both shielding on the individual pairs as well as an outer shield, I find this is only really necessary in areas with large amounts of electromagnetic interference. I've not seen a home installation that really needed it. Mostly useful in hospitals and industrial environments where light ballasts and machinery are plentiful. Even in those cases, many times it is possible to route the cables away from any interference. It does however help reduce alien crosstalk. How much of a difference does this make? Honestly, if you don't know if you need it, you probably don't and you won't see any difference. Just don't run your cables parallel alongside your power lines and you'll be fine.

Any WAN side discussion is pointless to the topic.

If this is solid core cable, you might want to state the rating. CM/CMG (general purpose), CMR (riser cable), CMP (plenum cable), LSZH (Low Smoke Zero Halogen)? Looking at the pictures it looks like they were lifted from here; http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-In-Wall-Shielded-Ethernet/dp/B004KPGQ04 making it CM rated. The price works out to ~$26/100ft plus keystone jacks and stripper/punchdown tool. FYI, stripping and using a punchdown tool are extremely simple and aren't that expensive to get. I personally love the punchdown tools that terminate all 8 wires at once on large installations, really speeds things up. Last time I used ICC keystones with there punchdown tool here; http://www.icc.com/p/809/jackeasy-ezhd-termination-tool. Fluke makes one as well.

I think that about covers my rambling for today...
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 January 2014, 12:31:56 by JayG30 »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 18:16:07 »

No, it isn't a selling point.
Most people will look at you funny if you explain you put really high end network cable they will never really use. People who would need that sort of cable, are going to be prepared to install it. It's too specialized. Unless you are a server host or corporation, it's a specialized item.

As for lan parties... 
How many of your lan guests have 10GBE and a system to back it up?

Most small lan parties are cobbled together, you get a bunch of small switches, not one big one. So you get 5 people on this one, 8 on this one, etc.. All of them are linked, but the data takes the shortest path. So if you share with the guy next to you, it only does one small hop. If it's with a person across the room, yes, it may go through a bunch of switches, but most transfers are not all going to be flooding the same switch. Not to mention, most will not be sending massive amounts of data all at the same time. Unless you have a 24+ port 10GBE switch and everyone plugs directly into it with their gigabit connections, it won't make much, if any difference in their speeds.

For file sharing...
Remember, you have to be able to read that fast and write at that fast too.
Gigabit has a limit of about 125 megs, only the two current fastest conventional hard drives (4TB) can do a sustained 115meg write of a single file, the next best struggle to even maintain 100. Those numbers are on a test bench, where the system is doing NOTHING else and only with a single, large file.  Those are not real world numbers and multiple files, which is far, far slower. You need an SSD, or preferably raid, to write at gigabit speeds in the real world, much less at 10GBE.

I can pull 115, but only just and it basically requires what amounts to a gaming system at each end.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More