Author Topic: Useless keys on a keyboard  (Read 38609 times)

Offline calderoats

• Wooting
Re: Useless keys on a keyboard
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 03:17:40 »
I never use right shift or the right keys on the bottom row so I normally try to do something useful with them.

I always imagined that the right side keys are useful for left handed people. When you are a left handed mouse user, those modifier keys are useful for you own right-handed hotkey layout. Oh! I just noticed I always use the right hand shift for typing, not the left at all.

Wooting– Next Generation Mechanical Keyboard.

www.wooting.nl
blog.wooting.nl

Offline Grrizz

« Reply #51 on: Sun, 02 August 2015, 01:25:39 »
I use everything except scroll lock (I hear its useful if you use excel a lot though), pause/break, num lock and menu would probably be the least used out of my used keys though.

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #52 on: Mon, 03 August 2015, 11:04:56 »
I use everything except scroll lock (I hear its useful if you use excel a lot though), pause/break, num lock and menu would probably be the least used out of my used keys though.

I actually just remapped "pause" to mute notifications on OS X -- seemed like kind of a good fit.

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
« Reply #53 on: Tue, 04 August 2015, 01:24:45 »
Here's my map of useless/marginal/required/daily keys to me: http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/a3a7bca76145322cf8a8

Blue is at least several times a day, green is frequent but not necessarily daily, yellow is occasional use, red I never use for anything ever. NumLock I suppose is a special case because it's never used due to always being active; so I technically need it to enable NumLock, but after that it never gets used again. :P
- IBM 4704 Model F 107-key "Bertha"
Other boards: Kinesis Essential, Infinity(G.Clears), Ergodox(MX Blues), Monoprice 9433

Eternally searching for Celestial Blue BS V2 and blue/purple Bros.

Offline Eszett

• Supporting the communities Geekhack & Deskthority
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 04 August 2015, 01:52:17 »
Here's my opinion.
107309-0

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #55 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 08:53:14 »
Get a 60% and get rid of the useless keys ;D
On my 60% kb, I change the caps lock to dual role ctrl/esc. This works great for me because I am a programmer. I also type Pinyin but I use super+space to switch input methods between English and Chinese, so I don't really miss the caps lock.
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline bigDave

• The biggest
« Reply #56 on: Mon, 10 August 2015, 05:54:51 »
I have done part time work at my dads in the past where'd I had to scan and rename documents, I used the menu key a lot then, it has become a habit and I use it to this day.

Offline KRKS

• Your friendly neighbourhood umbrella
« Reply #57 on: Mon, 10 August 2015, 16:36:12 »
My try at picking out keys by usefulness and making a layout out of them. The bottom row is weird like that because that puts the spacebar switch exactly where I hit spacebar.

Raw data(because saving layouts requires now a github account apparently):
More
[{c:"#d1e00b"},"Esc",{x:1},"F1","F2","F3","F4",{x:0.5},"F5","F6","F7","F8",{x:0.5},"F9","F10","F11","F12",{x:0.25},"PrtSc",{c:"#e31010"},"Scroll Lock","Pause\nBreak"],
[{y:0.25,c:"#19d8e6"},"~\n`","!\n1","@\n2","#\n3","$\n4","%\n5","^\n6","&\n7","*\n8","(\n9",")\n0","_\n-","+\n=",{w:2},"Backspace",{x:0.25,c:"#e31010"},"Insert","Home","PgUp",{x:0.25},"Num Lock",{c:"#d1e00b"},"/","*","-"],
[{c:"#19d8e6",w:1.5},"Tab","Q","W","E","R","T","Y","U","I","O","P","{\n[","}\n]",{w:1.5},"|\n\\",{x:0.25,c:"#e31010"},"Delete","End","PgDn",{x:0.25,c:"#d1e00b"},"7\nHome","8\n↑","9\nPgUp",{h:2},"+"],
[{c:"#19d8e6",w:1.75},"Control","A","S","D","F","G","H","J","K","L",":\n;","\"\n'",{w:2.25},"Enter",{x:3.5,c:"#d1e00b"},"4\n←","5","6\n→"],
[{c:"#19d8e6",w:2.25},"Shift","Z","X","C","V","B","N","M","<\n,",">\n.","?\n/",{w:2.75},"Shift",{x:1.25,c:"#e31010"},"↑",{x:1.25,c:"#d1e00b"},"1\nEnd","2\n↓","3\nPgDn",{h:2},"Enter"],
[{w:1.25},"Caps",{w:1.25},"Super",{c:"#19d8e6",w:1.25},"Alt",{a:5,w:6.25},"Teal = Often\nRed = (Almost) Never\n\n\n\n\nYellow = Sometimes",{a:4,w:1.25},"Alt Gr",{c:"#e31010",w:1.25},"Super",{c:"#d1e00b",w:1.25},"IME Toggle",{c:"#e31010",w:1.25},"Ctrl",{x:0.25},"←","↓","→",{x:0.25,c:"#d1e00b",w:2},"0\nIns",".\nDel"],
[{y:0.75,x:1},"-","*\n\n\n\nF10","/\n\n\n\nF11",{c:"#19d8e6"},"~\n`\n\n\nF12",{x:0.25,c:"#d1e00b"},"Esc",{c:"#19d8e6"},"!\n1","@\n2","#\n3","$\n4","%\n5","^\n6","&\n7","*\n8","(\n9",")\n0","_\n-\n\n\nPgDn","+\n=\n\n\nPgUp",{w:2},"Backspace\n\n\n\nDelete"],
[{x:1,c:"#d1e00b",h:2},"+\n\n\n\nCaps","7\n\n\n\nF7","8\n\n\n\nF8","9\n\n\n\nF9",{x:0.25,c:"#19d8e6",w:1.5},"Tab","Q","W","E","R","T","Y","U","I","O","P","{\n[\n\n\n↑","}\n]",{w:1.5},"|\n\\\n\n\nInsert"],
[{x:2,c:"#d1e00b"},"4\n\n\n\nF4","5\n\n\n\nF5","6\n\n\n\nF6",{x:0.25,c:"#19d8e6",w:1.75},"Control","A","S\n\n\n\nMute","D\n\n\n\nVol +","F\n\n\n\nVol -","G","H","J","K","L",":\n;\n\n\n←","\"\n'\n\n\n→",{w:2.25},"Enter"],
[{x:1,c:"#d1e00b",h:2},"Enter\n\n\n\nScroll","1\n\n\n\nF1","2\n\n\n\nF2","3\n\n\n\nF3",{x:0.25,c:"#19d8e6",w:2.25},"Shift","Z\n\n\n\nPrev","X\n\n\n\nStop","C\n\n\n\nPase","V\n\n\n\nNext","B","N","M","<\n,\n\n\nHome",">\n.\n\n\nEnd","?\n/\n\n\n↓",{w:2.75},"Shift"],
[{x:2,c:"#d1e00b",w:2},"0\n\n\n\nNum",".\n\n\n\nPause",{x:0.25,c:"#cccccc",w:1.5},"Fn",{c:"#d1e00b",w:1.5},"Super",{c:"#19d8e6",w:1.5},"Alt",{a:7,w:4},"",{a:4,w:1.5},"Alt Gr",{c:"#cccccc",w:1.5},"Fn",{c:"#d1e00b",w:1.5},"IME Toggle","Print Screen",{c:"#cccccc"},"what ever"]
The increasing power of Massdrop WILL kill the community group buys - don't come crying to me after it happens when you're too stupid to see it now. Join me in saving the community!

MD = NO $, NO EXCEPTIONS

Offline Zawvat

« Reply #58 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 00:23:31 »
I'm surprised by how many people don't use forward delete. I love it. Putting it on a layer would not be the same. I remapped my capslock into an extra control key.

WASD V2 Red, WASD V2 Blue

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 00:43:25 »
I'm surprised by how many people don't use forward delete. I love it. Putting it on a layer would not be the same. I remapped my capslock into an extra control key.

Same. I don't always use it, but when I want it, I want it. On the HHKB, it's FN + ~ so I used Karabiner to remap it to just be the ~ key, which I rarely rarely need. (I would probably need it a lot more if I was a programmer, but I'm not)

Offline Polymer

« Reply #60 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 00:58:16 »
They tried forcing the normal homerow stuff on me in back in 4th/5th grade and it was always super uncomfortable and bad to use, not to mention that it felt super clumsy. I really just ended up learning to type just by playing MMOs and chatting to folks on there.

I just feel like the best bet is to get people typing and let them figure out what's comfortable for them. Trying to force myself to type a certain way (1 finger per key, doing it some specific way) is a lot more effort then just typing however feels naturally, and my speed hasn't suffered for it, so sticking with what's comfortable is the way to go.

That method works for some but not others.

If you're typing with good speed and not creating problems for your hands/wrists/arms, I say go for it...

But there are so many people losing a lot of speed and also creating physical problems for themselves because their form is so terrible. 

As far as what is good speed...That's all very subjective...IMO, sufficient speed is a speed that allows you to do what you want without slowing you down (what you perceive as being too slow).  If I had to place a number on that, I'd probably say, for anyone typing below 65-70WPM and not using "proper" form, you can probably improve considerably by changing the way you type.  In reality, you're not often going at full speed and you're thinking about what you want to write so this should allow you to keep up somewhat.  If your job relies on you copying something where you're not thinking, just typing, you probably need a much higher speed. 

Offline phosphor

truly useless keys?
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 22:01:49 »
Are there any keys that are just completely neglected by most software? i know i have NEVER used the Pause/Break, Scroll Lock and Print Screen/ SysRq keys.
Ever.
And i often hit the Insert key but i think the only key in that cluster i use is Delete.

Offline filphil

• One day I hope to find a love like JD and Turk
Re: truly useless keys?
« Reply #62 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 22:14:08 »
Are there any keys that are just completely neglected by most software? i know i have NEVER used the Pause/Break, Scroll Lock and Print Screen/ SysRq keys.
Ever.
And i often hit the Insert key but i think the only key in that cluster i use is Delete.

I don't use pause it scroll lock.

I find pg down and pg up more comfortable to use than the scroll wheel when browsing.

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #63 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 22:39:12 »
On Mac keyboards the f13-f15 or so. I don't think I've ever heard of those being used.

Offline phosphor

« Reply #64 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 22:50:35 »

I don't use pause it scroll lock.

I find pg down and pg up more comfortable to use than the scroll wheel when browsing.

I've used those too, mostly when writing in an office suite. It depends on the scroll wheel for me. A better gaming mouse with a weighted wheel feels pretty good.
But why are there still all those stand alone keys when you can do the same thing from the number pad on a full size?

On Mac keyboards the f13-f15 or so. I don't think I've ever heard of those being used.

not being a Mac user (far too poor), i didnt even know they had that many function keys.

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 22:53:44 »

not being a Mac user (far too poor), i didnt even know they had that many function keys.

I'm not a mac user either. My school had them though, and the full size keyboards have function keys across the entire top of the keyboard. It seemed totally pointless, there weren't even any shortcuts that I came across that used them.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #66 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 08:20:15 »
I do use Print Screen but Scroll Lock and Pause Break are holdovers. I use Scroll Lock in spreadsheets, but rarely.

Caps Lock is occasionally useful and Delete is one of my most often-used keys. I don't ever use Home and End.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #67 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 12:58:45 »
I don't even think I've touched scroll lock or pause break before. Don't really use pgup/pgdn, much prefer scroll wheel
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #68 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 13:02:20 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 17:14:45 by alienman82 »

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #69 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 13:04:27 »
I keep trying to hit Delete for all my life mistakes, but it never seems to work.  We should eliminate it.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #70 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 13:06:15 »
Insert and Scroll lock. I know they have uses, but they rarely come up for me. Pause actually pauses several games I play.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline Bucake

« Reply #71 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 13:50:59 »
the right windows button. never used it in my life.
never used insert (except for hitting it accidentally).
never used scroll lock.
never used the menu key.
i also never use caps lock; it's simply redundant for me.

i see how some could be useful, but to me they are not..
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #72 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 14:23:13 »
Why make a new thread when we already have https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=73835 about the same topic, active for the last few weeks?

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #73 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 14:34:20 »
Home, End, Page Up, Page Down, Print Screen, Scroll Lock, and Pause/Break have no use for me. I love having the num pad though, if I ever get a TKL I would definitely need to get a Duck Pad of B Pad to go along with it.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #74 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 15:00:01 »
What you don't use can also depend somewhat on which nation'slanguage's layout you use.
In Swedish layout there is the § key. It is where ~ is on US-ANSI, next to number row-1.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #75 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 15:15:53 »
Page up/down and Home/End are easily the most useful keys outside of the alphanumeric set and arrow keys.

That said I've become accustomed to not using them as often with my Poker as the default equivalent hotkeys aren't ideal.
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 August 2015, 15:18:49 by Coreda »

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #76 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 15:16:40 »
Page up/down and Home/End are easily the most useful keys outside of the alphanumeric set.

Those are very very usefull keys when you code.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline physicalist

« Reply #77 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 16:21:31 »
Insert ans ScrollLock are certainly among the least useful keys. But I have also remapped CapsLock to FN on my POK3R and I'm not missing this key at all.

Filco Ninja TKL (Brown) w/ Pegasus Hoof

Offline jd29

« Reply #78 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 16:28:00 »
As long as you have a numpad, the nav cluster and arrow keys are pretty much useless. The "inverted T" format for the arrow keys is a little more ergonomic than the "+" used in the numpad, but I don't think it's worth including it.

As someone who does a lot of numeric input, I would much rather have a navless than a tenkeyless keyboard. This will probably be the layout for my next keyboard.

Also, if I had a compatible keycap set, I would definitely replace caps lock with backspace. I first heard about it in the workman layout and it is glorious.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #79 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 16:28:37 »
Page up/down and Home/End are easily the most useful keys outside of the alphanumeric set.

Those are very very usefull keys when you code.
Most certainly, if you code in a beefed-up notepad.exe. I recommend using an actual text editor instead though.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #80 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 17:30:06 »
Insert ans ScrollLock are certainly among the least useful keys. But I have also remapped CapsLock to FN on my POK3R and I'm not missing this key at all.

I was thinking of remapping my caps lock to control for my RS96 until I got some MX Lock switches, you don't see too many of them so I definitely wanted to toss a few on my board for the lock keys.

Offline eddie

• ¥¥¥¥
« Reply #81 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 17:38:01 »
caps lock

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #82 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 17:41:56 »

I would much rather have a navless than a tenkeyless keyboard

OMG!

The worst of all worlds!

That is what keeps the Model F AT with ANSI/Alt mod from being one of the truly great keyboards.

Dedicated keys are essential for people who actually work with numbers. Toggling between arrows and numbers is painful death.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline jd29

« Reply #83 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 17:55:00 »
OMG!

The worst of all worlds!

That is what keeps the Model F AT with ANSI/Alt mod from being one of the truly great keyboards.

Dedicated keys are essential for people who actually work with numbers. Toggling between arrows and numbers is painful death.

I'll just make navigation an alt layer of the numpad or something, if the num lock bothers me.

It can't be the worst of all worlds because I still have a numpad, and TKL doesn't

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #84 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 18:04:50 »
Menu key is good if the mouse fails (batteries, bad cord)
Capslock has it's uses once in a great while (software codes).
Print Screen is handy for screen shots.
Scroll lock works on some KVM's to switch computers.
Pause, can actually pause your computer on bootup, while still in Bios. I've had to use it once or twice to see how much memory is in a computer and find the key to enter bios. I'm not sure if that still works, especially with UEFI.

The key that needs to be burned in eternal hellfire is the insert key. This is the only key I have never, ever found it useful.

I remap Insert to delete and Capslock to shift (some remap it as a ctrl)
During games, my left Winkey is disabled and most uncommon keys become macro keys.
I also have it auto-correct common typing errors.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #85 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 18:12:49 »
Pg up and Pg down  is from before smooth-scrolling..

Because if it's skipping 3 lines,  then you somewhat lose track of where you were reading anyway..

But now that we HAVE smooth-scrolling...  it doesn't make much sense to use pg up and pg down,  unless you're scroll wheel setting is too slow, and you gotta get down a bit faster.

Offline KeypressGraphics

• Dare to Dream
    • Keypress Graphics
« Reply #86 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 18:13:27 »
The only key on my HHKB I press very rarely (excluding cmd & right alt/shift) is forward slash. Thankfully the DOS days are long gone and I seem to get very little use out of that key these days.

The lack of redundant keys is another reason to love this little keyboard's amazing functionality & efficiency.
May all your key presses strike true.

Choc Mini         HHKB

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #87 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 18:22:33 »
Menu key is good if the mouse fails (batteries, bad cord)
Capslock has it's uses once in a great while (software codes).
Print Screen is handy for screen shots.
Scroll lock works on some KVM's to switch computers.
Pause, can actually pause your computer on bootup, while still in Bios. I've had to use it once or twice to see how much memory is in a computer and find the key to enter bios. I'm not sure if that still works, especially with UEFI.

The key that needs to be burned in eternal hellfire is the insert key. This is the only key I have never, ever found it useful.

I remap Insert to delete and Capslock to shift (some remap it as a ctrl)
During games, my left Winkey is disabled and most uncommon keys become macro keys.
I also have it auto-correct common typing errors.

I can see how the menu key can be useful but I have a bunch of old mouses lying around that if my main one broke I would have a backup.
I have found caps lock useful only for programming, little kids on games such as minecraft find this the most useful key when it comes to communication.  :p
Print screen has become obsolete for the most part for me because I the use the program Gyazo which lets you take snapshots of whatever you want on the screen. I would say it is useful for games but if you're playing a game on Steam than F12 captures the screen image.
As for the insert key, destroy them all!  ;)

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #88 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 18:23:13 »
the "G" key is pretty useless

I never lose
I love Elzy

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #89 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 18:26:49 »
the "G" key is pretty useless

I never lose

Yeah getting rid of the G key is a great idea...maybe not.  :p

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #90 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 19:32:17 »
I replaced my Caps Lock with Fn on my 60%. Never use Scroll Lock or Pause/Break on my other boards either.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #91 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 22:31:54 »
Caps lock. But then I always remap Control to Caps Lack, putting Control back in its proper place. Scroll Lock. Every other key (on a 101/104) I've used at least occasionally. On a 80% board, I've never used a couple more keys. All keys get used on most 60% boards I've owned (minus the Japanese layout HHKB I had).

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline fatchoi

« Reply #92 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 00:04:58 »
Well... The scroll lock is useful in MS Excel. The pause break is quite useful in some BIOS as well as Excel VBA.
Insert is useful for IBM lotus note to mark email as read.

Nevertheless, in my custom Ergodox keyboard, I map them as 2nd layer. lol

Offline phosphor

« Reply #93 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 00:15:18 »
Why make a new thread when we already have https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=73835 about the same topic, active for the last few weeks?

Yeah, i noticed that after i posted it. I was screwing around with a keyset template, wondering why the hell i should bother with keys i never use and decided to see if i was the only one. I'll probably remap the keys and use generic symbols i like. And NEVER map Insert to anything.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #94 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 04:58:27 »

Yeah, i noticed that after i posted it. I was screwing around with a keyset template, wondering why the hell i should bother with keys i never use and decided to see if i was the only one. I'll probably remap the keys and use generic symbols i like. And NEVER map Insert to anything.

And that other thread has pictures too :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #95 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 10:21:33 »
As someone who does a lot of numeric input, I would much rather have a navless than a tenkeyless keyboard.
I agree completely. If they stick the down arrow on num 5 rather than num 2 (something I'm not quite sure of why it hasn't happened ages ago yet) I wouldn't mind using that sort of payout at all. Not the greatest fan of what IBM did to the numpad on the AT, though.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #96 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 06:55:35 »
Every single key on the board has a use in current software and I have used them all. However, I could easily live without quite a lot of them. And I do. Proud 60%, 48% and 40% user. It's just a matter of how often they're used and whether that functionality is worth a dedicated key.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #97 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 08:34:30 »
Merged the duplicate threads.  Unfortunately there's a bit of overlap, so it may be difficult to follow the conversations, especially on tapatalk.  Please search for existing threads before creating new ones to avoid these issues. :thumb:

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #98 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 08:36:52 »
Also everyone who doesn't use home/end must really love their arrow keys or switching back to their mouse...maybe that's why people feel the need to have their mouse so close to the alpha keys...?  :rolleyes:

Seriously though, honest question for those that don't use home/end.  If you have to edit the middle of a sentence while you're posting, why not hit 'end' to skip to the end of the line?  Or maybe you just don't make mistakes like that.  :P

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #99 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 08:43:47 »
Also everyone who doesn't use home/end must really love their arrow keys or switching back to their mouse...maybe that's why people feel the need to have their mouse so close to the alpha keys...?  :rolleyes:

Seriously though, honest question for those that don't use home/end.  If you have to edit the middle of a sentence while you're posting, why not hit 'end' to skip to the end of the line?  Or maybe you just don't make mistakes like that.  :P

I think a lot of people aren't aware of the functionality. I used to use arrow keys to go forward/back for most of my life.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170