Author Topic: Need help: Revisited. How are you doing now?  (Read 2746 times)

Offline hoggy

Need help: Revisited. How are you doing now?
« on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 03:18:11 »
Okay, inspired by those (terrible) tv shows that justify a repeat by adding a 'where are they now' bit on the end....

So, if you sought advice from this forum (and stayed), how are you getting on?  Did we actually help?  Did you persuade your firm to buy you an outrageously expensive keyboard?  Have you changed the way you work.  Did we mess everything up and you've got someone else to type for you?

I'd like to hear from you, and I'm pretty sure some others around here would do to.

PS - if the thread goes a bit quiet, I might PM the members that didn't stay on.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Need help: Revisited. How are you doing now?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 06:15:26 »
Okay, inspired by those (terrible) tv shows that justify a repeat by adding a 'where are they now' bit on the end....

So, if you sought advice from this forum (and stayed), how are you getting on?  Did we actually help?  Did you persuade your firm to buy you an outrageously expensive keyboard?  Have you changed the way you work.  Did we mess everything up and you've got someone else to type for you?

I'd like to hear from you, and I'm pretty sure some others around here would do to.

PS - if the thread goes a bit quiet, I might PM the members that didn't stay on.

how do you know if the members stood on or off.

Offline hoggy

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 06:30:51 »
All I was planning to do was to start at the far end of the ergonomics forum and scour it for help requests - their post count will give me a clue if they hung around. I was hoping that some of those that have stayed would volunteer a comment - you never know.

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 11:24:28 »
August 2009:
Had some life changes that allowed me to explore, have more free time, free think. Was looking for info to cut a Kinesis Advantage into 2 halves, or purchase an equal, found Geekhack.

February 2014:
A ridiculous 4.5 years later, too many unscripted life changes to count, learned all sorts of facinating things about keyboards, plastics, processes, geeks, and about myself.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline hoggy

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 07:16:05 »
As for myself - I came to GH (just over 4 years ago) after contracting problems typing all day on a MS Ergo 4000 with my wrists resting on the desk and otherwise poor posture.

I persuaded my firm to hire a Maltron for me for a month, but my physio gave me some wrist braces which made it hard to use.

Eventually shelled out for a Kinesis Advantage - I liked so much I stayed at GH hoping that there might be something even better in the future.

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 10:20:17 »
I was a lurker years before when I encountered some Dolch Pac units and needed to read up on them. Interestingly enough, Google kept pointing me back to GH articles. Eventually I created an account and began my deep dive into keyboards.

I've tried a lot of different switch types, but silenced 45g topre has become my settling point. Someday I might get a uTron, if I can ever find one.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 19:51:24 »
i came to GH with the ridiculous notion that i could find something to replace the ms ergo4k, but still be a ms ergo4k. I briefly looked at the kinesis since i've seen that keyboard since i was like 15 in the 90's. growing desperate i made my own msergo4k with browns. Then looking at it, it could be "more" and decided to make another column'd msergo 4k (the v1 was staggered). Then over the course of 3months i ebay dumped and found a lot of white kinesis that were barely used (usually they bought the 300$ keyboard, couldn't use it and left it in the attic for 10years). (i bought around 5 for 50-80ish, all whites) I thought the kinesis having already been column'd and keywell'd i'd use this to get me used to my "still in progress" column'd msergo4k.

As i was using the kinesis more, i changed up the v2 msergo4k to have a lot of kinesis characteristics. In the end, i fully adapted to the kinesis, finished the msergo4k v2 (just to complete it) and promptly put it in storage.

with this i had 2 split projects 1. was a split kinesis, 2. was a column spaced Buckling spring keyboard (using the msergo 4k since i know the inards inside and out, coincidentally i bought like 4 msergo 4k's, just in case... and used them all to be modded)

i got as far as ebay diving for 4 model m's striping 2, stripping a kinesis to the bone and splitting it in half... then life, lots of life stuff so i said fck it.

just recently put all my keyboards in 2 big storage boxes, and all the pulled keys/springs/breadboards parts in another box. I'll only ever take out the keyboards to show someone what a buckling spring keyboard is (i won't use one since it's not ergo, and if i use it... i'll want to continue to use it... it's like a recovering alcholic, oops) or if my current kinesis breaks for some odd reason (i have 2 functional ones in storage and 1 completely split up) or i'll give one to a friend (i gave one out to a friend with rsi), yea that's right if you're my friend i give out kinesis's!

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 21:45:54 »
Came here originally because whenever I'd Google for mechanical keyboards, this place would show up. Once I finally got a Das Keyboard Ultimate (my first Cherry board), I signed up (this was back in '10) and jumped down the rabbit hole. Glad I stuck around, too, or I would never have found the ErgoDox.

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 01:09:23 »
Same thing as others, googling ergo keyboards ended up here a lot. Especially mechanical ergo keyboards. The best thing I've learned is that everyone is different (awww... I AM a unique snowflake) and what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for everyone. The worst thing, for my wallet, that I've learned is that everyone is different and that I need to experiment to see what works for me.

Offline Tony

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 19 February 2014, 00:39:51 »
Three years ago: Wanted to change keyboard layout. Tried Dvorak for a week, then moved on to Colemak. Google-searched about Colemak review/experience. Found Geekhack. Read a lot of keyboard topics. Bought a Compaq MX 11800.

Now: Posting over 1000 posts in Geekhack. Typing on a Filco brown at work. Reaching 70wpm in Colemak. Having 9 other keyboards (Filco, Choc minis, CM QFR, Compaq MX11800s, IBM) in storage at work and home. Dreaming about a Realforce.

« Last Edit: Wed, 19 February 2014, 00:43:58 by Tony »
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 19 February 2014, 21:33:52 »
My first thread:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=41678.msg834924#msg834924

Now I have a realforce and I'm here derailing threads and actively annoying people  :thumb: