Author Topic: KVM switch boxes & Mechanical Keyboards  (Read 7122 times)

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
KVM switch boxes & Mechanical Keyboards
« on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 21:39:45 »
So I use an IOGEAR KVM(a) at work with my Ducky 9008G2 Pro between my Win7 desktop and my macbook air. It works great. I can't however seem to get boards like my MiniVan or WhiteFox to work. So today I brought in a "MechanicalKeyboards.com MK2016" which is basically the same thing as my Ducky (same case, layout, pcb?) except that it has a few more LEDs in it... and it doesn't work. Same as the others, doesn't get recognized at all while connected through the KVM. 

So i thought i'd ask the manufacturer:   :confused:
Dana: Yes, i have a quick question... I have a MPN:
GCS632U
Dana: and occasionally i swap the keyboard and it doesn't recognize the new keyboard. I unplug all cables and reconnect them and still doesn't see it.
Kevin: Are you using a wired or wireless keyboard
Dana: all wired.
Dana: So i tested with a 3rd keyboard, a generic usb board and it gets picked up.
Dana: The only difference with the other two keyboards is the one that doesn't work has some minor LED back-lighting
Dana: So i was curious if there was a better way to reset it besides rebooting everything and unplugging everything... and if there was a limitation for the type of keyboard plugged in. (like what you would consider high-end mechanical keyboards)
Kevin: It's required you have a basic 104 key keyboard
Kevin: Can't guarantee it to work with non basic 104-key keyboard
Kevin: No, that's the only way to reset it
Dana: what about power limitations?
Kevin: what about it
Dana: like say someone plugs in a board with full RGB lighting
Kevin: No sure what that has to do with the KVM
Dana: Ok so what do you think might be happening?  Board A is my normal board and works fine. Board B is the same board only it has LED lights and does not work through the KVM. Board C is a generic HP board and works fine.
Kevin: What are you calling boards?
Dana: Board A and B are both Ducky 9008 fullsized boards
Kevin: Oh, do you mean keyboards?
Dana: yeah
Kevin: The other is not a standard 104-key keyboard
Dana: both of the Ducky boards are actually 108 but yeah, they're fullsized keyboards.
Dana: thats not an issue though as one works and one doesn't even get recognized.
Dana: it works fine when plugged directly into the PCs though.
Kevin: Ok but the KVM requires a standard 104-key your pc doesn't
Kevin: Ok it's nothing further I can assist you with. You can give us a call at 866-946-4327 if you need further assistance

...So yeah. That was pointless.

Does anyone else use a KVM and have any insight? I'm kind of limited due to video ports that I need to have something that is VGA but USB so I think this particular IOGEAR jobbie is the only option in my price range.
-Dana

Offline zslane

Re: KVM switch boxes & Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 24 February 2017, 11:51:50 »
It is very common for KVM switches (and some USB hubs) to be incompatible with NKRO emulation. This seems to be another "hot" feature of keyboards these days aimed at gamers. I have a number of keyboards that have this so-called feature and none of them work through the keyboard port in the front of my KVM switch at home, and must be connected through the standard USB relay in the back instead.

If you're lucky you can turn off the NKRO feature through DIP switches, and that may magically unlock compatibility with your KVM switch. If not, then you'll have to either not use the KVM or go through its USB ports instead of its dedicated keyboard port.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 24 February 2017, 13:24:20 »
I also use KVM at work, as zslane said, KVM are pretty picky at types of signals coming in.

In general keyboard with NKRO is bad, try to switch it to regular 6KRO mode.

I also notice 1000 Hz polling rate is also bad, if you can switch to default 125 Hz that would be good.

Some keyboards like Matias Quiet Pro have a built in matrix for NKRO, in that case you're out of luck (I tried).

Keyboards I tried at work successfully:

Filco Ninja Majestouch-2
Das Keyboard 3
Topre Type Heaven
Topre Realforce 104UW

Keyboards my coworkers use:

Corsair K65 (You have to switch to BIOS mode, which uses 125 Hz)
CM Storm QuickFire Rapid

Keyboards that failed to work:

Matias Quiet Pro
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 February 2017, 14:13:08 by Hyde »

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline zslane

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 24 February 2017, 13:59:27 »
Other keyboards that "work" but must go through standard USB ports of a KVM:
  • CM NovaTouch
  • Varmilo VAxxx (e.g., 108M)
  • Topre RealForce RGB

Offline Hyde

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 24 February 2017, 14:15:22 »
This reminds me, I'm not sure if USB 2.0 vs USB 3.0 makes a difference, but all my boards employs USB 2.0.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 24 February 2017, 15:41:16 »
This reminds me, I'm not sure if USB 2.0 vs USB 3.0 makes a difference, but all my boards employs USB 2.0.

usb 3 on an intel controller supports 2000hz+ overclocking via that custom thingamobobber on OCN..

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 24 February 2017, 20:27:37 »
I did try and change around the DIP switch options but nothing seemed to work. I just pulled apart the working ducky 9008 this morning to swap all the switches out for my new pandas and i took note of the chipset. I'll pull apart the MK2016 this weekend and make sure its actually the same setup on the inside.

I did try different usb locations on the mobo just to make sure. I didnt try the front vs. back though.

Yeah this is all usb2 for the KVM. I can confirm though, I found that my MiniVan does not work when plugged into the USB 3.0 port on the front of my desktop at home. I have a 6 port hub on top that has all my boards plugged in and im pretty sure the whitefox and sentraq work on usb3.
-Dana

Offline Hyde

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 26 February 2017, 17:51:54 »
lol in this case I'm not too sure then, I do find KVM kind of picky when it comes to these kind of things.

Rule of the thumb is to stay as simple as possible.