Author Topic: Computer speakers  (Read 5779 times)

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
Computer speakers
« on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 08:30:47 »
My AV40's bit the dust yesterday (left speaker no longer plays sound) so I'm in the market for a new speaker system for my computer.  Does anyone have any recommendations on good speakers? 

I'm looking for speakers that are a tad more compact than the AV40 monitors, but they don't have to be miniscule.  Budget is sub$200. .
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Computer speakers
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 08:42:36 »
My AV40's bit the dust yesterday (left speaker no longer plays sound) so I'm in the market for a new speaker system for my computer.  Does anyone have any recommendations on good speakers? 

I'm looking for speakers that are a tad more compact than the AV40 monitors, but they don't have to be miniscule.  Budget is sub$200. .

Definitely drop an extra $75 to get the  Swan MKII

http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_info.php?loudspeakers=swan-active-desktop-sound&p=swan-m200mkii-active-desktop-loudspeaker-system&cPath=21_24&products_id=184&osCsid=497560b7451450eef5010d1e227f7a9c

Offline tinlong117

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 09:03:39 »
i suggest audioengine a2 :) it perform very well with my SE 200 LTD.

Offline djmattm

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 09:09:08 »
Are you into the DIY?
Razer BlackWidow Tournament Stealth Edition

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 09:20:30 »
Are you into the DIY?

I've never built a speaker before.  What do you propose?
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline djmattm

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 09:29:54 »
I just finished building my first set of speakers, never even touched the mdf and for my first project i chose something really ambitious, i designed a desk speaker with a logarithmic horn load with a fullrange speaker, i even veneered them! The result is stunning and i spent 100$ with two TangBand fullranges, and i drive them with a modified t-amp (ta2024) via a usb dac based on the Sabre ES9023, grand total about 200$

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 10:40:01 »
I just finished building my first set of speakers, never even touched the mdf and for my first project i chose something really ambitious, i designed a desk speaker with a logarithmic horn load with a fullrange speaker, i even veneered them! The result is stunning and i spent 100$ with two TangBand fullranges, and i drive them with a modified t-amp (ta2024) via a usb dac based on the Sabre ES9023, grand total about 200$

Factor in "time" and "research",  it's around $500 worth of "expense"

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 10:45:47 »
^ Yeah, but building stuff is fun

Offline djmattm

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 11:11:52 »
Nothing is like listening to something you built from scratch, it's always better! And yes it's tons of fun, i learnt a lot during my build and they really are stunning but yeah i spent probably 30+ hours only researching, and about 10 hours in cad and calculations, and i am an engineer, but trust me they really compare to something that costs 5-10x what i paid in materials

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 11:17:35 »
^Do you have a picture of them?

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 11:18:31 »
I just want to say I have the Logitech z 503. Great speaker for the price. I keep going back to Logitech  because of their reliability.
SmallFry! <3

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 13:00:42 »
AV40sare M-Audio right? Why not bump up to some real poewered monitors?

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 13:10:19 »
For computer audio, I use these

For recording/mixing/mastering, I'm currently using some old Event PS8's, but I'm going to be upgrading to the Yamaha HS80m's and a KRK 10s

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 13:30:25 »
Im looking at the Adam A3X for my next pair and possibley the matching sub down the line.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 16:20:55 »
I just want to say I have the Logitech z 503. Great speaker for the price. I keep going back to Logitech  because of their reliability.

For recording/mixing/mastering, I'm currently using some old Event PS8's, but I'm going to be upgrading to the Yamaha HS80m's and a KRK 10s

STOP with the Logitech recs, they are bad... very bad... the main problem is the cost cutting amplifiers that they've implemented since the Global Recession..  All newer Logitech speakers have atrociously high noise floor. like chsssssssssssssssss all up in your music.

The same problem plagues the New Klipsch pro medias, which were once "titans"

I recommend a discount budget AMP they're usually all much cleaner than most multimedia speakers,   and some discount book shelf units.

Offline verbhal

• twitch.tv/verbhal
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 16:27:12 »
I use Klipsch Pro Medias.  Not bad, but certainly not the greatest.  I do use headphones most of the time though.  Now djmattm you building your own speakers that is awesome, do you have pics posted anywhere?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 16:32:17 »
I use Klipsch Pro Medias.  Not bad, but certainly not the greatest.  I do use headphones most of the time though.  Now djmattm you building your own speakers that is awesome, do you have pics posted anywhere?

it's not as bad as the logitechs for sure... but I was rather disappointed in my "new gen" 2.1, the one without the power switch. The old ones were much cleaner..

Offline djmattm

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 16:43:50 »
I'll post pics as soon as i can, don't expect a state of the art as they were my first try in the woodworking world but they sound really great and i loved all the designing process, and i spared a hundred few bucks in the way ;D ;D

Offline verbhal

• twitch.tv/verbhal
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 16:47:06 »
As long as they sound good.  That is the most important part! 

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 17:03:27 »
STOP with the Logitech recs, they are bad... very bad... the main problem is the cost cutting amplifiers that they've implemented since the Global Recession..  All newer Logitech speakers have atrociously high noise floor. like chsssssssssssssssss all up in your music.

I recommend a discount budget AMP they're usually all much cleaner than most multimedia speakers,   and some discount book shelf units.

I must have lucked out. Mine have no such problem.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 01:09:11 »

These have been out for a few years. Logitech does have some newer ones than these. I am no audiophile but my speakers don't crackle. Price / performance = great value. I didn't do crazy research because I was needing of new speakers. I just knew Logitech was reliable in customer service and warranties. What speaker do you know of that is comparable to mine?

Tbh, if I really wanted to spend, I'd get 7.1 tv speakers, wireless, with a giant dog sized subwoofer.

SmallFry! <3

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 01:39:40 »
I've recently grabbed a pair of these ESI Unik04. They are the smallest I could find with decent sound.

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 12:53:48 »
Nothing is like listening to something you built from scratch, it's always better! And yes it's tons of fun, i learnt a lot during my build and they really are stunning but yeah i spent probably 30+ hours only researching, and about 10 hours in cad and calculations, and i am an engineer, but trust me they really compare to something that costs 5-10x what i paid in materials

Would you mind sharing your blueprints and how to's? It would save one at least 40h if interested in following your path.
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 January 2013, 12:56:26 by BucklingSpring »
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline djmattm

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 13:43:40 »
Yeah sure here it is, i don't remember if this is the actual final design maybe i changed a couple of quotes but 90% this is it:

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 16:27:30 »
If I take

- two TangBand fullranges
- a modified t-amp (ta2024)
- a usb dac based on the Sabre ES9023
- the drawing above

Then Shake it a bit...

I end up with two great speakers?

Maybe I don't do enough DIY to figure it all out.
But at first glance it seams that I would have to put the 40h of R&D anyway.

How do you figure the 3rd dimension with the picture?
What material did you use?
Do you glue it together?
What modification do you do to the t-amp (ta2024)? (Did you mod it yourself)
How do you get a usb dac out of a the Sabre ES9023?
How do you connect all the sh!t together?

:-) Feel free to fill the gap.

I'm also in for decent PC speakers and right now I'm still heading on low to midrange quality active/amplified studio monitors ($250 - $850)

Things like JBL, Pioneer, Behringer, M-Audio or Audioengine and alike seams to have kickarse products.
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 16:38:12 »
it's not as bad as the logitechs for sure... but I was rather disappointed in my "new gen" 2.1, the one without the power switch. The old ones were much cleaner..

I do have a first gen Promedia 4.1 and I was not impressed by their new stuff either. My next boxes will not be from Klipsch.

Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline djmattm

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 04:32:46 »
If I take

- two TangBand fullranges
- a modified t-amp (ta2024)
- a usb dac based on the Sabre ES9023
- the drawing above

Then Shake it a bit...

I end up with two great speakers?

Maybe I don't do enough DIY to figure it all out.
But at first glance it seams that I would have to put the 40h of R&D anyway.

How do you figure the 3rd dimension with the picture?
What material did you use?
Do you glue it together?
What modification do you do to the t-amp (ta2024)? (Did you mod it yourself)
How do you get a usb dac out of a the Sabre ES9023?
How do you connect all the sh!t together?

:-) Feel free to fill the gap.

I'm also in for decent PC speakers and right now I'm still heading on low to midrange quality active/amplified studio monitors ($250 - $850)

Things like JBL, Pioneer, Behringer, M-Audio or Audioengine and alike seams to have kickarse products.

A lot of questions here, i try to answer in the best way:
The 3rd dimension is calculated for the total internal volume, i used mdf because it was dirt cheap but obviously a multilayer is better, i bought all the pieces at a local bricolage center where they can cut with high precision for free and then i assembled all with wood glue, veneered and then painted.
For the amp i used one of the many variations of the ta2024 that you can find easily everywhere on the web, and the dac is practically a stepped-down odac, but a lot cheaper! And then i simply made my own wires from some thick copper wire i used some time ago on a hifi car project of a friend of mine!
I can only say that to my ears all the system is pretty solid, i love it amd for the money i spent i could have bought maybe just an amplifier :p
Of course i spent some time in calculations and sh!t but that's obvious when you do diy

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 09:21:59 »
Yeah sure here it is, i don't remember if this is the actual final design maybe i changed a couple of quotes but 90% this is it:
Show Image

Absolutely awesome project!

Here is yet another project to put on my "to do" list.

Would you be willing to share some of the dimensions you used?
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline djmattm

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 10:19:51 »
As you can see i have directly the cad file :D
Keep in mind that all the quotes are calculated for the particular driver i chose, they have to change if you change the speaker
I choose those tangband only because they were at 60% off on a web shop

Offline Larken

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 11:11:14 »
Audioengine A2 - bigger footprint than normal but no subwoofer - which could be good and bad. A2s have decent bass, but probably not enough for the bassheads. Will need a separate subwoofer to pair with it in those cases.

Klipsch Promedia 2.1 - bang for buck.

AE Aego M 2.1 - pretty balanced speakers for their price if you can get them. Beautiful mids.

Harman Kardon Soundsticks III - somewhat unique sound signature, some people love it, some hate it.

Off the top of my head, those are the ones that match a 200 dollar budget.

If budget is flexible - you could look for Swanz m50w, though I'm not sure about availability in the states.

Further up are the

Audioengine A5s - a step up from the A2s

bowers and wilikins mm-01s, small small speakers with great sound, but with a pricetag to match.

focal xs 2.1 - usb connected, internal dac. good for those without a dedicated sound card or amp. really good sound, but beefy pricetag.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline deepthawt

• ︻̷̿┻̿═━一
    • my programming hobby site, interactive jigsaws, photos &c
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 11:54:47 »
Harman Kardon Soundsticks III ( ~$170)

12446-0

Harman Soundsticks II ( ~ $99) are pretty good, and the III's are the current offering.
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 January 2013, 21:54:50 by deepthawt »
More
[| Ducky Shine II 9087 Yellow LED/BlueMX  |  Saitek Eclipse II  |  IBM Model M 1391401  | Cherry G80-5000  |  Logitech diNovo Mini  |  Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000  |  Matias Quiet Pro PC  |  Dell TH836  |  NEC KB-6923  |  Fujitsu FKB4700  |  GearHead Mini USB  KB1700U (89 key) | Filco Majestouch-2 ninja/blues  |   Matias Mini Quiet Pro PC | Ducky Shine 4/Clear MX | E Element RGB Silver/Black Outemu |]

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 10:48:47 »
Ive had a set of those they sound like **** like very much so.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 11:29:37 »
like the other user said, its a love/hate relationship with soundsticks.
some people just don't like the type of sound they produce, others find it clear and sound great.
Its debated on Head-Fi and OCN about the Soundsticks and Creative's T40 speakers.

Again obviously these are directed towards PC speaker sets, and not bookshelf speakers.

I myself had klipsch promedias the new ones, and after a year and a half i believe i have a wire loose or a short somewhere.  If i don't press down on the volume knob, my speakers blare out at max volume.  But if i apply pressure on the knob, it works normally.

i scrapped them and prob will sell to someone to see if they can fix it.  I went back to my Creative T40s since my brother took my soundsticks II to school with him.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 13:11:45 »
like the other user said, its a love/hate relationship with soundsticks.
some people just don't like the type of sound they produce, others find it clear and sound great.
Its debated on Head-Fi and OCN about the Soundsticks and Creative's T40 speakers.

Again obviously these are directed towards PC speaker sets, and not bookshelf speakers.

I myself had klipsch promedias the new ones, and after a year and a half i believe i have a wire loose or a short somewhere.  If i don't press down on the volume knob, my speakers blare out at max volume.  But if i apply pressure on the knob, it works normally.

i scrapped them and prob will sell to someone to see if they can fix it.  I went back to my Creative T40s since my brother took my soundsticks II to school with him.

This is a common problem, you can buy a "replacement" speaker controller base...

Offline swagpiratex

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 13:48:58 »
I have a set of Infiniti Primus 153's, I think you can pick them up @ Fry's for like $100 a pair.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 14:55:27 »
I have an uncle at a manager position at an oem to many name brands... I called him up about hi-fi advice.. he gave me a one liner then told me to bugger off..  He used a proverb, properly translated by equivalence: "I laugh all the way to the bank"