Author Topic: has marketplace gotten stupider?  (Read 11200 times)

Offline acantha

• Aure Entuluva
has marketplace gotten stupider?
« on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 21:12:08 »
i took a long break from the site when life got busy, and have been kind of halfway back lately, so i bumped my marketplace thread to try and move some excess stuff. i had a couple normal, good transactions... and two SUPER LAME weirdo ones. i'm talking insane demands, super rude haggling, crazy lowball offers, etc. both from users who were relatively new to the site. i've never had that problem in the past, with anyone, regardless of how long they've been here or if they've done a lot of buying or selling before. is this a new phenomenon? did i just get unlucky and roll snake eyes? i'm tempted to just throw a bunch of disclaimers on my sale thread, but i don't wanna come off as unfriendly.
All the Happy Hacking Things

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
Re: has marketplace gotten stupider?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 21:12:37 »
more stupid*

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 21:13:45 »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 21:14:38 »
i would place blame but then people would say i'm causing people to not want to be here

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 21:15:31 »
i took a long break from the site when life got busy, and have been kind of halfway back lately, so i bumped my marketplace thread to try and move some excess stuff. i had a couple normal, good transactions... and two SUPER LAME weirdo ones. i'm talking insane demands, super rude haggling, crazy lowball offers, etc. both from users who were relatively new to the site. i've never had that problem in the past, with anyone, regardless of how long they've been here or if they've done a lot of buying or selling before. is this a new phenomenon? did i just get unlucky and roll snake eyes? i'm tempted to just throw a bunch of disclaimers on my sale thread, but i don't wanna come off as unfriendly.

I've noticed the same thing. I've had some trade offers that were so ridiculous lately I actually had to check to make sure they weren't joking.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 21:17:48 »
I noticed the same thing, recently I've received a ton of offers to buy caps I have listed for trade despite explicitly saying that they aren't. Also some really low ball trade offers.

Edit: All new users.

Edit: fixed wording.
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 March 2015, 13:17:46 by Joey Quinn »
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline PunksDead

• hspernks
  • keyboard poser
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 21:18:54 »
I noticed the same thing, recently I've received a ton of offers to buy caps I have listed for sale despite explicitly saying that they aren't. Also some really low ball trade offers.

Google translated responses from non english speaking users?
don't come to my funeral, there wont be one

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 21:19:22 »
Although, if you think this is bad with new members, head over to /r/mechmarket. A lot of people will lead you on, then back out, as well as the stupid q's

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 21:19:46 »
A lot of things around here have gotten stupider
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 21:20:26 »
I noticed the same thing, recently I've received a ton of offers to buy caps I have listed for sale despite explicitly saying that they aren't. Also some really low ball trade offers.

Most the trade offers I've gotten from established users were similar.  I was expecting 1:1 trades, they wanted multiple caps even though the stuff I had was more rare than what I was trying to trade for.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 21:20:34 »

Google translated responses from non english speaking users?

All of them have had perfect english and a few are listed as being from the US.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 March 2015, 21:47:11 by the1onewolf »

Offline clacktalk

• CLACKS RULE EVERYTHING AROUND ME
  • circa 2015
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 00:05:29 »
more stupid*
*slow clap*

Stupider is a word. btw..

N00bs..
Show Image

Plebeians

(Attachment Link)

yo that is a sick anime picture

i haven't had any problems as of late, but i'm guessing it's because i don't have any artisan caps for trade haha
diary of a clacktalk

franktalk: how much urine have u spilled
radio_killah: too much frank
radio_killah: too much

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 00:12:58 »
Although, if you think this is bad with new members, head over to /r/mechmarket. A lot of people will lead you on, then back out, as well as the stupid q's
Cloudnella fron there wanted to buy NY NIB sealed novatouch from there when I was selling it for 150 or 160 shipped and he had like 300 questions and I even told him I'd be willing to mod an RF with the NT sliders for him. Messaged him for over a week straight and he became non responsive so I sold it to others that were in line and he startedbsaying he wanted ito buy it :)

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 11:53:32 »
I've given up on the marketplace around here.  It's more like a museum for stuff that people don't want anymore, but can't get rid of.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Rotaku

• Too Based
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 12:02:09 »
Cloudnella fron there wanted to buy NY NIB sealed novatouch from there when I was selling it for 150 or 160 shipped and he had like 300 questions and I even told him I'd be willing to mod an RF with the NT sliders for him. Messaged him for over a week straight and he became non responsive so I sold it to others that were in line and he startedbsaying he wanted ito buy it :)
I hate /r/mechmarket as much as the next person but calling out people by their usernames isn't very cool
Not toooo active on GH anymore, if you need me, shoot me a PM on Reddit! /u/IchibanXD

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 12:04:08 »
I hate /r/mechmarket as much as the next person but calling out people by their usernames isn't very cool

he's salty someone called him out, so is probably returning the favor

Offline Rotaku

• Too Based
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 12:09:30 »

he's salty someone called him out, so is probably returning the favor
Still if you look at cloudnella's reddit profile, his account is 3 days old so what synjin is saying can't be true

Edit: I'm talking about the "messaged him for a week straight" part
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 March 2015, 12:13:04 by Rotaku »
Not toooo active on GH anymore, if you need me, shoot me a PM on Reddit! /u/IchibanXD

Offline tbc

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 12:15:01 »

I've noticed the same thing. I've had some trade offers that were so ridiculous lately I actually had to check to make sure they weren't joking.

i get told i HAVE TO accept their offers after i politely tell them 'no'
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 12:20:54 »
Add nellacloud. It is cloudnella's other account. Is that 3 days old too?

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 12:27:56 »

i get told i HAVE TO accept their offers after i politely tell them 'no'

I haven't had that but I have had people discuss a price with me. We agree on a price then last minute (like 5 min after I give them my PP info) they decide that they need an extra $20 off. The dude was then pissed when I'd no longer sell to him even after he re offered the original price. Be a ****ty buyer and I won't sell to you. I feel like this should be common knowledge.

Offline Rotaku

• Too Based
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 12:28:55 »
Add nellacloud. It is cloudnella's other account. Is that 3 days old too?
Nellacloud isn't a registered username on reddit?

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 12:30:00 »
Trying to find the user name and getting a screenie. I have his phone number but I don't want to disclose it unless I have to.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 12:31:44 »
Trying to find the user name and getting a screenie. I have his phone number but I don't want to disclose it unless I have to.

>is salty about being outed
>tries to out someone on another site
>posts two wrong usernames
>thinks posting a phone number would help

rokay

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 12:33:22 »
When did I get called out and I was in the wrong baldgye?

Offline Rotaku

• Too Based
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 12:34:11 »
Well I don't want to start anything here but the point i was getting at is that calling someone out by name shouldn't have been necessary :P

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 12:35:42 »
Yeah but I don't appreciate accusations like baldgye is claiming when every time I was called out, I have given more than enough proof o actually get the person have a warning to get banned. I cloudnella what happened to his other older account nellacloud and he said he deleted it, ask him yourself on Reddit if you want proof. Baldgye please stop lying... I gave no wrong usernames since both exist though one was deleted. Would you like me to see if the mechmarket mods can keep track of old posts or records of deleted accounts for proof?
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 March 2015, 12:48:31 by Synjin »

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 12:51:36 »
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 13:07:50 »
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline SpaceGhost

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 13:10:47 »
...I've received a ton of offers to buy caps I have listed for sale despite explicitly saying that they aren't.

Huh? "listed for sale despite explicitly saying that they aren't"? Could use a bit of explanation here...

Price-whiners are annoying at best. Perhaps GH should create a "Whiner's Corner" dedicated to all the cry babies who are so very desperate for things they can't afford and don't really need -- or things they can afford but simply don't want to pay for. Supply-and-demand determines price far more effectively than whining. Cry babies don't need expensive, rare, and valuable things. What they really need is counseling by a professional.
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 March 2015, 13:12:27 by SpaceGhost »

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 13:11:42 »
...I've received a ton of offers to buy caps I have listed for sale despite explicitly saying that they aren't.

Huh? "listed for sale despite explicitly saying that they aren't"? Could use a bit of explanation here...

I think he means people are asking to buy caps which aren't for sale, only for trade.

They think they are listed for sale, but they aren't.

I think.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 13:11:52 »
http://imgur.com/OsJg0WR here is proof. Sorry I'm upset. I wasn't upset when I got called salty because I was called out because that is not really true and it doesn't bother me, however, I do not like liers like bald who lie through their teeth without proof to make others look bad when he can't even provide facts.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 13:15:47 »

I think he means people are asking to buy caps which aren't for sale, only for trade.

They think they are listed for sale, but they aren't.

I think.

Yep, I meant trade. That'd be a typo.

What I have for Trade
(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)
Offers to buy caps will be ignored.

From my classifieds thread.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 13:16:42 »

http://imgur.com/OsJg0WR here is proof. Sorry I'm upset. I wasn't upset when I got called salty because I was called out because that is not really true and it doesn't bother me, however, I do not like liers like bald who lie through their teeth without proof to make others look bad when he can't even provide facts.

Why is this even a thing? Why are you proving this? There's no need for that from what I can tell.

I haven't had many bad Classifieds experiences, but I don't trade things so I don't see that half of the spectrum. It seems like most of the odd requests are for trades. I do get lowball offers but I think that's something that has been around since the dawn of time.  :P

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 13:18:50 »
There probably isn't need for it but I just want people to realize that I do not lie. Everything I said was true unlike bald who lies and even says I provide the wrong users when I for. Fact gave the correct ones.

Offline dante

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 13:20:21 »

Welcome to Obamas America.

Offline SpaceGhost

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 13:28:32 »

That would be OhBummer! 's America...Land of the Free
Free Lunch
Free iPhones
Free illegal immigration
Free violent criminals especially if here illegally
Free college tuition
Free terrorists from Guantanamo
Free (insert your favorite government handout here)
All at the expense of honest citizens who work for a living.

Sorry, all liberals amongst us, I just had to get it out...
Votes should be earned, not bought with taxpayer money.
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 March 2015, 13:36:47 by SpaceGhost »

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 13:42:48 »

Free Lunch
Free iPhones
Free illegal immigration
Free college tuition

Hey! Making any money whatsoever makes you part of the 1% and you should feel bad! Check your privilege.

I didn't know there were any conservatives in California, probably as rare as a conservative from Chicago.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 13:49:41 »
Way off topic now.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 13:51:18 »
I still have stuff to sell too...

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 13:51:24 »

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #42 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 13:58:51 »
I didn't know there were any conservatives in California, probably as rare as a conservative from Chicago.

Oh, we exist. Just in the shadow of the creepy ballerina's (aka Rahm Emanuel's) political machine. I don't live in the city, but I'm finding the upcoming mayoral runoff there to be a pretty funny battle of, "Which radical leftist is going to win this time?"

Offline SpaceGhost

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 14:00:22 »

Free Lunch
Free iPhones
Free illegal immigration
Free college tuition

Hey! Making any money whatsoever makes you part of the 1% and you should feel bad! Check your privilege.

Well, being from Chi-town originally, I am truly a rarity. And mostly ghostly these days...

And yes, way off-topic here, but
Not the first time a thread was spun,
If you can pardon my pun,
It would be no fun
To always agree with everyone.

Methinks more caffeine is required
Before the Ghost becomes fully wired.
A word to the wise:
Shield thine eyes!

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 15:00:52 »
Yeah but I don't appreciate accusations like baldgye is claiming when every time I was called out, I have given more than enough proof o actually get the person have a warning to get banned. I cloudnella what happened to his other older account nellacloud and he said he deleted it, ask him yourself on Reddit if you want proof. Baldgye please stop lying... I gave no wrong usernames since both exist though one was deleted. Would you like me to see if the mechmarket mods can keep track of old posts or records of deleted accounts for proof?

best thread ever

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 15:02:53 »
lol u punks just gtfo of classified
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 15:02:54 »
Sorry about that. I just get unusually emotional when people lie about me

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #47 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 15:04:01 »

Yes. Please. So. Much. Lying. About. Things. That. Happened. Emotions.

Offline SpaceGhost

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 15:05:43 »

Bet y'all didn't know it, but Synjin is really only 18" tall.
 ;)

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #49 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 15:07:01 »
Let me be more specific, when someone lies about me in hopes to make me look bad because I declined to trade with them in the past :)