Author Topic: KVM built into Keyboard  (Read 4127 times)

Offline aernan

KVM built into Keyboard
« on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 17:36:19 »
I have a possibly silly idea. Are there any keyboards that have two outputs with the a Keyboard Mouse switch directly into the keyboard?

Offline jal

• I can't believe it's not gravy!
Re: KVM built into Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 20:32:32 »
Never seen one. And it would still be missing the 'M', which is a bit problematic. I mean, I have done things with computers blind, but that was command line, and an absolute last resort.

Building in monitor support would (a) be really complex engineering - anything beyond VGA ranges from complex to very complex and high bandwidth, and modern standards like DP involve DRM, which means licensing.

And (b), that would be a really funky-looking, chunky keyboard. The heat-sinks could be fun decorative elements.

A while back I was considering the possibility of a self-bugging keyboard. Insert your own thumb drive, and have it record all your keystrokes as a last-ditch backup. That would require more than a Teensy offers.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 07:04:28 »
i think they don't do it because of how many cables you'd end up with on the table.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 07:24:46 »
What would be the purpose?

Many KVM switches allow switching between hosts using a key-combination, which allows you to have the switch out of the way. There is also software that acts as a virtual KVM switch but that requires of course that both machines are running.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 17:31:11 »
I would rather spend $200 on a cheap 4 port kvm and enjoy my nice keyboard than have 20 cables on my desk connected to a keyboard I had few choices on, and paid $1000 for.

KVMs are not cheap, especially with even  remotely newer technology in them, then add a cheap, over priced keyboard (they can't buy in bulk), and your $200 4port KVM just became a $1000 bit of equipment that eats cables (keyboards move around, which is bad for things like shielded DVI cables and such).

Remember, a 4 port KVM has a minimum of 15 cables attached, integrating the keyboard only saves you one cable, are you sure you want that on your desk?
Just buy a KVN with a key switch toggle and hide it under your desk, you will be much happier.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 20 February 2017, 00:58:49 »
Not exactly what you are looking for, but BAM: https://www.cybernetman.com/en/all-in-one-pc/keyboard-pc