Author Topic: I need help form a coffee snob.  (Read 1663 times)

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
I need help form a coffee snob.
« on: Mon, 13 March 2017, 21:49:46 »
Hey, fellow coffee nerds. A friend of mine owns a coffee shop and he just hooked me up with some of his Jamaican Blue Mountain roast. I am fairly new to pour overs. If I want to make a good cup, how much should I grind up and use? I have drank 2 cups today, I feel like I am using too much. I like strong coffee so it works out but I really want to make this last. It is normally $35-50 a bag but he gave it to me for free out of good will. I am using one of the primula pour overs.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 March 2017, 21:54:00 by ArchDill »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: I need help form a coffee snob.
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 07:35:25 »
That is purely personal preference. Do it scientifically: use the same procedure and the same amount of water while varying the amount coffee each morning until it reaches a happy point.

I like to grind fine to get the maximum value out of it, and I don't mind some sediment. But some people get offended by that.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 08:07:39 »
Hi :) I've been learning how to brew perfectly in the past two years

there are three things that you need to get right
1. Grind , the perfect grind size is to be in between a coarse grind for french press and and espresso grind
2. Ratio, thumbs of rule is 15g of grinded beans and multiply that by 14/15 for the total water (in grams)
3. Length of brew, no matter how much you brew, the total brew time should only last 2-3 minutes, longer than that it will over extract. This has a direct relation with your grind size, if you make for 2 that means you have to use 30g of beans and you want your grind to be a bit coarser than the 15g batch so the brew will be within 2-3 minutes (since more beans for the water to go through during pouring)

other things
- a good scale is very helpful
- keep your water temp to be around 94c-96c (perfect temp)
- try to use medium roast beans
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline dfj

• Visit our irc: #geekhack on libera.chat!
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 08:28:20 »
   It's quite personal imo - I prefer about 18g for my favourite cups, and I like quite dark roasts. For pour-over, medium-fine, for an aero-press - very fine, and for espresso as fine as your grinder can do with it still tasting decent...
 I steep very little, often less than 30 secs as I stirr until mixed - but this is mostly because I do a near-espresso grind through a press.
I also prefer my water at around 90 degrees - go figure. :/

dfj's $0.05
Fave Switch manus: IBM, Topre, Matias, ...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 12:19:52 »
Tp4 were watching Breaking Bad..  vacuum pull is what you need..   something about lower boiling point and reduced bitterness..

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 12:24:22 »

1. Grind , the perfect grind size is to be in between a coarse grind for french press and and espresso grind
2. Ratio, thumbs of rule is 15g of grinded beans and multiply that by 14/15 for the total water (in grams)
3. Length of brew, no matter how much you brew, the total brew time should only last 2-3 minutes, longer than that it will over extract. This has a direct relation with your grind size, if you make for 2 that means you have to use 30g of beans and you want your grind to be a bit coarser than the 15g batch so the brew will be within 2-3 minutes (since more beans for the water to go through during pouring)

other things

This is great advice and a good place to start.
Maybe your friend who, you know, happens to own a coffee shop could queue you in on the best way to prepare that particular roast..  ;)

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 13:34:41 »

other things

I noticed that in the first couple of minutes there is a slight "foam" around the grind while filtering and then it starts to look different. IS that what you mean by the 2-3 minutes? My brews are usually around 5-6 minutes. I need to get a better kettle.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 13:35:22 »
   It's quite personal imo - I prefer about 18g for my favourite cups, and I like quite dark roasts. For pour-over, medium-fine, for an aero-press - very fine, and for espresso as fine as your grinder can do with it still tasting decent...
 I steep very little, often less than 30 secs as I stirr until mixed - but this is mostly because I do a near-espresso grind through a press.
I also prefer my water at around 90 degrees - go figure. :/

dfj's $0.05

I would still like to try an aeropress.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 13:37:18 »

other things

This is great advice and a good place to start.
Maybe your friend who, you know, happens to own a coffee shop could queue you in on the best way to prepare that particular roast..  ;)

Unfortunately, he does not do pour overs at his place :( I have tried to ask him before and he was not much help. We are in a small town and he has had his shop for 15+ years so he can get away with not doing interesting brews haha There is another guy in town that roasts and sells and his little shop but I am too loyal of a friend to go to him haha

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 13:53:56 »

Unfortunately, he does not do pour overs at his place :( I have tried to ask him before and he was not much help. We are in a small town and he has had his shop for 15+ years so he can get away with not doing interesting brews haha There is another guy in town that roasts and sells and his little shop but I am too loyal of a friend to go to him haha

He's not ur friend.. he's just ur drug dealer.

This happens often.. you are confused..

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 18:32:07 »

other things

I noticed that in the first couple of minutes there is a slight "foam" around the grind while filtering and then it starts to look different. IS that what you mean by the 2-3 minutes? My brews are usually around 5-6 minutes. I need to get a better kettle.
The foam that you meant indicates the freshness of the beans, it's the beans releasing the co2 due to heat

And no, what I meant by 2-3 minutes is the total pouring time of that total amount of water needed to go through the beans

The idea of a pour over is for fast brewing

Here's a good video about it

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo