Author Topic: Best Linear Switches for Low Actuation and Ultimate Smoothness?  (Read 1744 times)

Offline yam

Best Linear Switches for Low Actuation and Ultimate Smoothness?
« on: Sun, 21 February 2021, 17:51:45 »
I’m fairly new and am in the process of building my first keyboard but am having difficulty finding the right switches for me. Would like to avoid buying a switch tester to save some money so any advice from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

I’m currently running cherry MX reds and would like my new switches to be similar in terms of the low actuation force. For sound and smoothness, I’m drawn to NK creams and tealios switches. Are there any switches that have lower actuation but similar sound profile to the NK creams or tealios?

These switches have a bottom out force but no actuation so I’m a lil confused. Which is easier to press?

Offline Leopard223

Re: Best Linear Switches for Low Actuation and Ultimate Smoothness?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 21 February 2021, 21:37:45 »
I think most switches are measured by bottom out force, only “industrial size” like a cherry or Gateron (and maybe Kailh) provide accusation force, and the Cherry reds measure 55-60g bottom out force iirc   
If you don’t like the weight of what you get you can always replace the springs.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 22 February 2021, 05:16:03 »
Most modern contactless switches are ultra light. Razer optoelectric, Steelseries Hall effect, etc. Also unmatched smoothness - contact-based switches don't compare.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 22 February 2021, 06:49:50 »
Most modern contactless switches are ultra light. Razer optoelectric, Steelseries Hall effect, etc. Also unmatched smoothness - contact-based switches don't compare.

What does chyros rec as the MOSTest light of the modern krop.