Author Topic: MX silvers  (Read 1346 times)

Offline gcb

MX silvers
« on: Tue, 23 February 2021, 18:55:08 »
some vendors have MX silver along their buckets of off-brands MX-compatible switches.

I couldn't find anything in the wiki, or other reliable sources.

Anyone here tried those switches? I'm guessing they are just reds in clear casing?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: MX silvers
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 24 February 2021, 01:01:22 »
it's a good gaming switch, shorter travel than the linear red. 3.4mm vs 4mm.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 24 February 2021, 11:25:42 »
it's a good gaming switch, shorter travel than the linear red. 3.4mm vs 4mm.

Tp4 is correct. Personally, I already consider MX reds to be too sensitive for gaming though (even though I haven't bothered to modify/replace mine). Resting your fingers on them can cause them to actuate. I don't think that a higher actuation point has any real benefit in games and can cause more accidental presses instead. They might make sense if they had slightly heavier springs.

I chalk MX silver up to "gaming" board OEMs looking for some new gimmick to sell boards. It started life as a Corsair exclusive, and is marketed specifically as a gaming switch afterall. I think they're an answer to a question that was never asked.
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 February 2021, 12:46:19 by Maledicted »

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 24 February 2021, 12:18:57 »
Personal preference comes in here I guess but I dislike them due to their shorter key travel. That's a typists perspective, not a hardcore gamer's.

Offline Leopard223

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 24 February 2021, 13:06:06 »
I think they also actuate much sooner (1.2mm), seems like a very easy way of getting unintentional presses regardless of usage, though everyone and his preference.

Offline Fraaaan

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 24 February 2021, 13:45:50 »
Is Cherry's own website not a reliable source? It was the first result after Googling "cherry mx silver", I'm not sure how you weren't able to find anything about it...

https://www.cherrymx.de/en/mx-original/mx-speed-silver.html

Offline gcb

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 13 March 2021, 23:19:54 »
I am so used to go straight here or to deskthority that I didn't look at cherry own site. I guess it is their fault for being ranked so low on every search engine too because I did search.

Hearing all your opinions is what counts tho. Thank you all!