Author Topic: Options for Filco rebuild  (Read 1207 times)

Offline Fictoplasm

• Fictoplasm
Options for Filco rebuild
« on: Sat, 13 March 2021, 16:23:15 »
I have desoldered the MX blues from my Filco TKL and plan to install new switches. Would like some opinions on what would work well (sound, feel)

- keycaps will be SA
- tactile for preference but ok with linear. Not clickies (nothing against, but I already have those on other boards)
- happy to open switches to lube, spring swap, film etc.
- if linear, I would want to stay below the 65g of my lavender switches on another board
- would prefer lower stem wobble for the tall keycaps

My first two options are either ergo clears or glorious pandas with appropriate treatment. Anything else I should consider?

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
Re: Options for Filco rebuild
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 13 March 2021, 18:16:58 »
When i did a rebuild on my old Filco i took the MX blacks and replaced the stem and spring with the insides of a Gateron yellow and lubed it with 3204. Made it sound super good, but everyone has there own taste lol. You should ask yourself what do you want to type on.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 13 March 2021, 21:44:05 »
What switch would YOU like, it doesn't matter what we like.
Springs are replaceable, just don't go extremely different without asking someone who has done so to that specific switch as it can alter tactility for better or worse, or not at all.

Ergo Clear were less tactile than Blues in my experience.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Fictoplasm

• Fictoplasm
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 14 March 2021, 00:37:35 »
Thanks for the replies. I know it's all subjective which is why I'm not asking which is better but what has worked for other people in this specific combo with Filco's steel plate (e.g. the ergo clears). For reference I own gateron browns and blues, mx blues, jailhouse blues, blue inks, topre, and durock linears and I like them all for typing but the linear springs are the heaviest I'd go.

I really like the sound of an all-nylon housing for a gateron yellow linear. Is the black bottom housing of the gat yellows nylon? I would be tempted to get yellows and then swap the translucent top housing for my leftover mx blue housing when I'm lubing and filming

I assume the leaf in the mx blues would not be compatible with a linear stem?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 14 March 2021, 05:37:32 »
Nice collection...
There's nothing special about the Filco plate other than the bent edges, any MX compatible switch will fit.

For springs, Cherry red, browns and blues all use the same spring, Cherry only has 2 or 3 spring rates for all of their switches, the numbers change based on the switch due to the tactile bump and leaf. It's shocking how much spring noise comes from switches and the Filco plate (due to the shape) acts like a bell and amplifies it, you may want to consider some nice aftermarket springs to reduce ping and other spring noise. Thicker metal springs (not lighter or heavier but thicker wire) are better as are coated springs and of course lube. I've had good luck with Novelkeys springs, which I believe are just re-badged low end Sprit. Another think to consider is foam under the pcb, but also if you have the patience or can find some, put foam between the pcb and plate. I even considered running beads of silicone down the underside of the plate between the switches to dampen it.

I would think the linear stem should work fine in blue housings, I've swapped them all around to the point I have no idea what's in my box of spare Cherry parts at this point. I'd either test or wait for someone who knows for certain.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 14 March 2021, 07:27:02 »
When i did a rebuild on my old Filco i took the MX blacks and replaced the stem and spring with the insides of a Gateron yellow and lubed it with 3204. Made it sound super good, but everyone has there own taste lol. You should ask yourself what do you want to type on.

Yellow stems make keeb look super gud' but only with caps sadly.

Offline Fictoplasm

• Fictoplasm
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 14 March 2021, 10:17:22 »
Thanks Leslieann for the suggestion re: aftermarket springs, I hadn't thought of that. No surprises re: the steel plate ringing, similar to a steel turntable platter

(and agree that rows of yellow stems in a black housing would look lovely with the caps off)