Author Topic: Favorite pens/pencils?  (Read 186312 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Favorite pens/pencils?
« Reply #300 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 08:04:25 »
I like the ****ty ballpoint bic pens. The black one. I hate the blue pens

The only thing with almost every ballpoint I have tried is that you have to scribble to get them to start writing.

And drying up half way through the first word - so annoying!

I firmly believe the ball-point is technologically, the superior writing device..

It can write at far greater angles... it's much more ergonomic and accommodating in that sense..

Though, of course that still leaves the possibility that people mis-use this and end up finger-writing and pressing too hard causing RSI.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #301 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 16:09:26 »

The only thing with almost every ballpoint I have tried is that you have to scribble to get them to start writing.

I firmly believe the ball-point is technologically, the superior writing device..

It can write at far greater angles... it's much more ergonomic and accommodating in that sense..

Though, of course that still leaves the possibility that people mis-use this and end up finger-writing and pressing too hard causing RSI.

I had a friend in primary school who gripped his pen so hard he had a permanent build-up of extra skin around the end of his finger.

The pens I have now write at almost any angle (they are ball point), but have a more fluid ink that Just Works.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #302 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 20:59:41 »

Sounds like you need to try pressurized ink.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #303 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 00:04:30 »

These are my favorite for work! If I drop them from 20 feet off a ladder, they still work like new! If I drop my pilot G2 from 3 feet, bam the ball point is shot. >:{

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
  • King of Stickers (and GBs)
« Reply #304 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 03:16:47 »
My new pen! :D I just need some krylox to get rid of some slight metallic sounds.......since its a full metal construction :cool:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #305 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 04:39:34 »

That sounds dangerous.  Plus, I have had too many pens leak all over the place.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline deager4

« Reply #306 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 18:05:45 »
Personally, for a good writing/drafting pencil I like the pentel graphgear 500.
(Typing/Coding) Das Keyboard Ultimate S (blues)
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline strafe

• Strafe's Blog
« Reply #307 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 20:41:26 »
I like rollerball pens.  At work I use Bic Triumph 537R 0.7mm.  At home my current favourite is a LAMY Vista.

I'm getting some Fisher Space Pen Parker Refills (hopefully next week).  Will report back when they arrive.
Freebird WKL (Blacks Clear-Tops), iKBC F-104 (Blacks) and more!

Offline insomniak

« Reply #308 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 11:47:56 »
The Uniball jet stream has been my go to for a while.  I used to live and die off the Pilot G-2.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #309 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 12:23:01 »

That sounds dangerous.  Plus, I have had too many pens leak all over the place.

no it's not dangerous.. the tanks are all copies of the original fisher space pen. which was designed to work "in space"..  pretty reliable..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #310 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 12:24:02 »
The Uniball jet stream has been my go to for a while.  I used to live and die off the Pilot G-2.

i honestly don't know what the rage was about with the G2, the ink is fine, but the tip wasn't very good and didn't write at as many angles as ball-points and some other Gellies.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #311 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 12:25:20 »

i honestly don't know what the rage was about with the G2, the ink is fine, but the tip wasn't very good and didn't write at as many angles as ball-points and some other Gellies.

I use the G2 pretty much exclusively (0.38 and 05mm), and it writes at most any angle just fine, but if it's dropped one too many times, it tends to stop writing or dry very quickly.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #312 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 12:32:17 »

I use the G2 pretty much exclusively (0.38 and 05mm), and it writes at most any angle just fine, but if it's dropped one too many times, it tends to stop writing or dry very quickly.

I've switched to ball point for the most part, because they've been more consistent. The Surari ink (japan version, indonesian version is not as good) is almost as smooth as gel but doesn't have that scratchy bumpy feel that gel pens sometime have.

Jetstream ink is decently smooth as well.

Offline Jack

« Reply #313 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 12:57:54 »
Anyone like felt-tip pens for writing? I've tried these so far:

Faber-Castell Pitt extra fine
Staedler Mars Professional Technical Drawing Pen (favorite so far)
Sharpie pen (does it count?)

Any recommendations? Something that wouldn't show too much through usual weights of notepaper?

Offline osi

« Reply #314 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 14:47:46 »
My go to for pencil/eraser combo for years

48081-048083-1

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #315 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 17:04:48 »

(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

Osi, nothing personal. I h8 those pencils.. the spring effect produces inconsistent line weight...

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #316 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 18:09:56 »
You guys seem ONLY transfixed with Black ink onto white backgrounds, what about darker backgrounds?

You still need to mark and write onto dark/blackish areas sometimes covered with oil/grease and even remnants of kangaroos, hence you need a pen that can write all over that type of surface + it remains permanent even when it sits in the sun all day.

We currently ONLY buy packs of Pentel Permanent White - Fine Point and Sharpie Oil White Paint Marker - bold.

Best 2 writing instruments we have ever come across when it comes to itemizing all manner of product, that arrives and leaves our workshops.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #317 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 18:13:38 »
You guys seem ONLY transfixed with Black ink onto white backgrounds, what about darker backgrounds?

You still need to mark and write onto dark/blackish areas sometimes covered with oil/grease and even remnants of kangaroos, hence you need a pen that can write all over that type of surface + it remains permanent even when it sits in the sun all day.

We currently ONLY buy packs of Pentel Permanent White - Fine Point and Sharpie Oil White Paint Marker - bold.

Best 2 writing instruments we have ever come across when it comes to itemizing all manner of product, that arrives and leaves our workshops.

um.... the reason for black on white is to conserve ink "overall".. but, yea, I like paint pens too.

Offline osi

« Reply #318 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 18:33:19 »

(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

Osi, nothing personal. I h8 those pencils.. the spring effect produces inconsistent line weight...

Show Image

No offense taken :). The spring is actually the reason I love it and I'm not worried about line consistency so its perfect for me.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #319 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 21:21:44 »
I need a new mech pencil for school, Ideas?

(I have a bunch of 0.5mm lead lying around that I bought in Japan)
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
« Reply #320 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 21:26:49 »
I need a new mech pencil for school, Ideas?

(I have a bunch of 0.5mm lead lying around that I bought in Japan)

one with an eraser

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #321 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 21:27:03 »
ROTRING
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline neunelfer

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #322 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 21:30:26 »

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #323 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 21:33:14 »
ROTRING

I'm going to agree with damilk the Dolan here. I love my Rotring 600, though I don't personally take it around with me, as it's going to get lost with my habits. I use my Dad's old Koh-i-noor Rapidomatic (I need to retrobrite it), which is similar, though mostly plastic. However, if you're better at keeping track of pencils than I am, I would recommend the 600, and I presume the Rapid Pro or the 800 would be just as high quality. Not sure about the 500, though.

TL;DR -- I suck at keeping track of pencils, get a Rotring.
More

R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #324 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 21:39:58 »
Show Image

... with a MX-compatible stem?

Offline eddie

• ¥¥¥¥
« Reply #325 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 00:04:47 »
I wish I had a fancy pencil, but I use a fancy pen! It's the pilot G-2 05 and it's pretty fantastic.  :p

Offline neunelfer

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #326 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 00:12:28 »
Show Image

... with a MX-compatible stem?

Yes, it is MX. I don't think any of the silver lion keys were made for Topre.

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #327 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 00:49:03 »
I have a Rotring 600 mechanical pencil coming to me, hopefully its as good as people say it is.
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline cantus

« Reply #328 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 21:53:50 »
I personally really like the Pilot Hi Tec C 0.3mm pen, its just so nice and precise, but some people might not like that it does sometimes get rough/scratchy but if you pad with enough paper, its generally fine. As for pencils, I don't own one(A very good one at least haha) but I hear rotrings are very nice mechanical pencils.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #329 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 22:30:05 »
I used my rotring for a while because it was expensive..

Over time, I realized that drafting pencils are terrible for actual "writing"

In drafting you make long lines. The greater weight is good here because it prevents the lead from kicking up and breaking the line, and it also allows you to not* press as hard against the paper..

However, handwriting situations are very different.. 

____Short strokes, and frequent directional changes using the finger/ wrist

Here, when using a heavy writing tool, the weight works against you as you have to write against the greater momentum of the pen during directional changes..

this in contrast to drafting situations where you're making one long steady line in a single direction.

I can feel my fingers/hand tiring quite quickly when using a heavy pen/pencil for writing..

This is especially true for PENCILS, because much greater pressure is required to put lead onto paper..

This is not the same as a heavy fountain pen, which is glided against' the paper, and requires almost no pressure because of the wet ink..

Conclusion..  Don't use drafting pencils for writing, just cuz it looks cool and cost more..

My qualification for saying all this..  I have good handwriting, decent script.  That is to say.. I've written for the sake of writing... ALOT.

Offline inteli722

« Reply #330 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 21:49:58 »

In drafting you make long lines. The greater weight is good here because it prevents the lead from kicking up and breaking the line, and it also allows you to not* press as hard against the paper..

Here, when using a heavy writing tool, the weight works against you as you have to write against the greater momentum of the pen during directional changes..

this in contrast to drafting situations where you're making one long steady line in a single direction.

I can feel my fingers/hand tiring quite quickly when using a heavy pen/pencil for writing..

This is especially true for PENCILS, because much greater pressure is required to put lead onto paper..

This is not the same as a heavy fountain pen, which is glided against' the paper, and requires almost no pressure because of the wet ink..

Conclusion..  Don't use drafting pencils for writing, just cuz it looks cool and cost more..

My qualification for saying all this..  I have good handwriting, decent script.  That is to say.. I've written for the sake of writing... ALOT.

Well, you're entitled to your own opinion, but I really enjoy my Rotring for writing. The weight makes my 2B write that much smoother, and I generally enjoy things with more heft, writing utensils included. Again, it's your opinion. I just happen to personally disagree due to my tastes.

Conclusion: Try out different pencils and decide which one is for you. Just like keyswitches. You may find that you like heavy drafting pencils for writing, and that's perfectly fine. If you like light pencils, then sure. go ahead and use them. Just find a solid pencil to use.
More

Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #331 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 23:13:14 »

Well, you're entitled to your own opinion, but I really enjoy my Rotring for writing. The weight makes my 2B write that much smoother, and I generally enjoy things with more heft, writing utensils included. Again, it's your opinion. I just happen to personally disagree due to my tastes.

Conclusion: Try out different pencils and decide which one is for you. Just like keyswitches. You may find that you like heavy drafting pencils for writing, and that's perfectly fine. If you like light pencils, then sure. go ahead and use them. Just find a solid pencil to use.

The weight is not prohibitive..

If you don't write very much, or only write in short duration.. the weight and extra strain makes little difference..

My take centers on continuous medium/ long duration writing. 10 minutes or more.

I don't use pencil for note taking, because of how much pressure is required to use one..

My use for pencils is generally only calligraphy.

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #332 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 03:17:12 »
Uniball Signo DX 0.38.  Best pen ever

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline Jack

« Reply #333 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 11:32:19 »
Did anyone ever use the Pentel Tetra? http://www.epinions.com/content_401735454340

God, I miss these. I can't even find any on ebay.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #334 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 11:35:51 »
Ticonderoga #4 pencil. I'll settle for a #3, but the #4s are EXTRA-HARD.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline inteli722

« Reply #335 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 13:06:35 »

If you don't write very much, or only write in short duration.. the weight and extra strain makes little difference..

My take centers on continuous medium/ long duration writing. 10 minutes or more.

I don't use pencil for note taking, because of how much pressure is required to use one..

I understand your angle, and my point still stands. It's all personal preference. I don't like how you tell people what you perceive as right/wrong as actually right and wrong.

as for the note taking, have you tried a softer lead, like 2B? It really reduces the pressure required to write with quite a bit. I prefer it greatly over HB.
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #336 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 14:13:01 »

I understand your angle, and my point still stands. It's all personal preference. I don't like how you tell people what you perceive as right/wrong as actually right and wrong.

as for the note taking, have you tried a softer lead, like 2B? It really reduces the pressure required to write with quite a bit. I prefer it greatly over HB.

For note taking, 2b "would be" smoother and lighter-touch, but it's never going to reduce the pressure down to say.. ball point pen/gel pen.. LOL.. and 2b will smudge even on the best paper if you glide your hands over it.. 

While the same smudging can happen with ball point/gel, they are much more resilient when dry.. 2b will ALWAYS smudge if you touch it, or when the pages rub together.

I'm not TELLING you what to do.. I'm just sharing my experience and "ANALYSIS" on the pros/cons of writing utensils.

I don't know why you read what I write as imposing..

Offline inteli722

« Reply #337 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 14:21:35 »

For note taking, 2b "would be" smoother and lighter-touch, but it's never going to reduce the pressure down to say.. ball point pen/gel pen.. LOL.. and 2b will smudge even on the best paper if you glide your hands over it.. 

While the same smudging can happen with ball point/gel, they are much more resilient when dry.. 2b will ALWAYS smudge if you touch it, or when the pages rub together.

I'm not TELLING you what to do.. I'm just sharing my experience and "ANALYSIS" on the pros/cons of writing utensils.

I don't know why you read what I write as imposing..
Show Image

You have a tendency to use words that are definitive instead of suggestive.

I've been using 2B for a little while now, and I haven't really had a ton of smudges, especially not pages rubbing together.

You can like ballpoints for note taking, but I generally don't like pen because it's easy to screw up if you're not careful and it's not quite as smooth as my pencils are.
More

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #338 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 16:42:37 »
You can like ballpoints for note taking, but I generally don't like pen because it's easy to screw up if you're not careful and it's not quite as smooth as my pencils are.

Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C

Offline inteli722

« Reply #339 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 17:08:41 »

Show Image

Completely serious there. Writing with 2B in a drafting pencil is silky-smooth. Most Ballpoints I've tried are usually at least a little scratchy.
More

Offline winged mantis

« Reply #340 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 17:51:22 »
I love my 0.5mm Rotring 600 pencil. The felt quality makes it so hard to use any other pencil

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #341 on: Fri, 20 December 2013, 13:22:06 »
Completely serious there. Writing with 2B in a drafting pencil is silky-smooth. Most Ballpoints I've tried are usually at least a little scratchy.

Interesting. I've used pencils of various hardness and boldness for art, which I'm not particularly good at, and I remembered that I liked F grade pencils quite a lot.
It would be very nice to try a draft pencil, though.  :D
It's just unfortunate that I've pretty much gotten used to writing with thin ballpoint pens (0.38 or 0.50 mm), and I feel that they look very clean and are, of course, much darker. There does remain something to be said about correcting errors, but my pen habits have gotten me ingrained to just cross out anything in pencil anyways, haha.

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #342 on: Fri, 20 December 2013, 16:14:30 »
my pen habits have gotten me ingrained to just cross out anything in pencil anyways, haha.

I do the same, reaching for the eraser takes too much time and interrupts my train of thought  :))

Offline inteli722

« Reply #343 on: Fri, 20 December 2013, 17:16:39 »

Interesting. I've used pencils of various hardness and boldness for art, which I'm not particularly good at, and I remembered that I liked F grade pencils quite a lot.
It's just unfortunate that I've pretty much gotten used to writing with thin ballpoint pens (0.38 or 0.50 mm), and I feel that they look very clean and are, of course, much darker. There does remain something to be said about correcting errors, but my pen habits have gotten me ingrained to just cross out anything in pencil anyways, haha.

I've found that 2B in a Rotring 600 is extremely smooth. I have a plastic clone of it, and it's pretty smooth also, but that pencil is still at least 1.5x heavier than a typical cheapo mechanical pencil. It's definitely a different sensation to a pen, but it's mostly because of the heft of the pencil.

my pen habits have gotten me ingrained to just cross out anything in pencil anyways, haha.

I do the same, reaching for the eraser takes too much time and interrupts my train of thought  :))

Simple: Finish your thought, then edit later.
More

Offline yjfknt

« Reply #344 on: Fri, 20 December 2013, 17:49:50 »
I've been using
Pilot Hi-Tec-C Gel Ink Pen with Grip - 0.4 mm - Blue
for this semester and I've written more notes than all my semester combined haha

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #345 on: Fri, 20 December 2013, 18:41:51 »

I've found that 2B in a Rotring 600 is extremely smooth. I have a plastic clone of it, and it's pretty smooth also, but that pencil is still at least 1.5x heavier than a typical cheapo mechanical pencil. It's definitely a different sensation to a pen, but it's mostly because of the heft of the pencil.

LOL.. I can tell you don't think on pen/paper much..  Cross out bro..

also, we write really big..

Offline inteli722

« Reply #346 on: Fri, 20 December 2013, 18:44:43 »

LOL.. I can tell you don't think on pen/paper much..  Cross out bro..

also, we write really big..

I'm not saying I don't cross things out with pencil. I did that quite a bit on my Math test today. I just clean it up later.
More

Offline VolantPhalanx

• Cult Classic
« Reply #347 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 08:56:26 »
If I had to chose one, it would have to be the Rotring 600 in 0.5 lead. I've tried the 800, and the retractable tip is nice in its own right but its added weight and complication lead to the entire pencil feeling less balanced and cohesive. The 600 on the other hand, is very nearly perfect. Nice to hold, nice and weighted, and has a certain beauty in its simplicity. The erasers are quite chunky, a huge upgrade from the tiny ones in Staedtler's 925-05. The grip is not overly aggressive, but instead to a degree both comfortable and suitably grippy. I've tried a lot of drafting pencil over the years, and this is the one I was most enamored by. It is quite ironic, however, because I have never used this pencil for any kind of drafting. I use it almost exclusively for writing essays, notes, and stories here and there. It performs admirably, and not to mention looks awesome doing it. I do however lack a nice ballpoint or roller ball pen in my set up. Any recommendations?
Rick Owens and Happy Hackers

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #348 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 10:54:11 »
If I had to chose one, it would have to be the Rotring 600 in 0.5 lead. I've tried the 800, and the retractable tip is nice in its own right but its added weight and complication lead to the entire pencil feeling less balanced and cohesive. The 600 on the other hand, is very nearly perfect. Nice to hold, nice and weighted, and has a certain beauty in its simplicity. The erasers are quite chunky, a huge upgrade from the tiny ones in Staedtler's 925-05. The grip is not overly aggressive, but instead to a degree both comfortable and suitably grippy. I've tried a lot of drafting pencil over the years, and this is the one I was most enamored by. It is quite ironic, however, because I have never used this pencil for any kind of drafting. I use it almost exclusively for writing essays, notes, and stories here and there. It performs admirably, and not to mention looks awesome doing it. I do however lack a nice ballpoint or roller ball pen in my set up. Any recommendations?

??

I'd think that a member of GH would use a Computer for essays and stories...

Notes by hand I can understand...

Offline inteli722

« Reply #349 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 11:42:16 »

??

I'd think that a member of GH would use a Computer for essays and stories...

Notes by hand I can understand...

I agree with tp here, though sometimes I do write out stuff if I'm forced to.
More