Author Topic: You will not beleive what keyboard I am giving praise  (Read 3220 times)

Offline typo

You will not beleive what keyboard I am giving praise
« on: Wed, 20 September 2017, 01:57:17 »
Razer Ornata Chroma! Before you say okay, whatever check it out. You all know I am seasoned with this hobby and have most of the top boards. Model m,f, Realforce, HHkb, Deck(old), Korean customs Etc. So I know good.

The Ornata is a Kaith switch of course. This alone is coveted by many. Notably being smoother with less wobble than MX. There is in fact no "slider" as many think. Instead there is a thick silicone dome. The silicone does not pop like rubber. It has a different feeling and this is a very clicky board. Probably no good in an office. Silicone is much more expensive than rubber for the record but depends if you like the feel. Well, I think this made for a very unique combination and feel. Somewhere between MX blue and Topre. Just much clickier if you like that. Of course this wil not be my daily driver but I will use it. It is interesting and I for one really like the feel. It is very noisy. Much more than blues. I am not sure how the legends are applied but if they wear off it does not matter since it is backlit. ABS of course will get all shiny but many people will give their eye for shiny GMK. No, it is not in that class. Plus the caps are "mid height", that is a shortcoming but they are addressing a specific audience.

Now the caveat. Razer is well known for making junk. Other brands are not too hot either to be fair but there is no excuse. I am betting if one used this daily, as with most Razer products part of it or all of it shall fail. I can't promise hat :) but it is a calculated guess. I know a store manager so I got mine for $69. Even for the going $89 this is a dirt cheap mech board and it is something you will not find elsewhere. So, I figure for $89 if it lasts 6 months that is fine with me. Or buy extended warranty. In this case if one would use it daily I would highly recommend hat. I generally do not recommend extended warranties as they are a rip off. I understand the average 14 year old's allowance letting a board fail in six months or sooner is not acceptable. So then I would avoid Razer altogether. Although that is their target audience and they sell more mech boards than all other companies combined. Made in China and of course they cut corners. However for instance the Topre RGB made in China is $260 and not great quality either. If that says anything.

It all depends if you like the feel and are willing to risk blowing $89. Overlooking the junk case, key caps Etc. Plus with RGB you cannot really get true white on any of these backlit boards. Other than some old $5 rubber domes it is the lowest rung of the ladder in my collection but I still welcome it. You may feel differently and YMMV. I am not an idiot. I know my way around a keyboard as can be evidenced here. I just kind of like it's unique feel and how stinking loud it is. I would certainly not say it is a "quality" keyboard. At the price I do not care. The Topre RGB is a different story. There is no excuse for that either and they should be ashamed. It is aimed at gamers though as is the Razer and everything in that category seems to be mostly junk. So I do have to give Topre a break there. For $89 the Razer does not really need a "break".

Edit: apparently all the rubber dome bashing of it caused to change the design. Before it did in fact have two leafe springs under a rubber dome. One to click and one to make contact. Pretty janky. One off the shelf today actually had Razers kaith switches under the silicone membrane. Unfortunately I did not have a camera/phone with me. It felt and sounded very nice. I do not know anything about the previous design. It does not feel like Topre, MX blue or rubber dome, but something entirely it's own. Like it or not. I do maintain anything from Razer is bound to be junk. The case and key caps felt like rubbish. I do not know how it would look after the legends wear off wiich is pretty much guaranteed to occur in a month. I said it is a nice novelty I would use sometimes perhaps. It is by no means a high quality keyboard. That being said, is the Topre RGB a good deal at $260? No, it is not nearly as shoddy as the Razer but neither is it up to snuff of a $260 keyboard IMO and many agree. I am not comparing the two other than based on value. Neither is a good value IMO. Both made in China of course. I would expect the Razer to be a heck of a lot worse of the two but the Topre is not the top notch you would expect. As I mentioned I hate RGB Backlit as you cannot get true white. Furthermore real keyboards do not have backlighting or legends, again IMO. YMMV. If you want to try it just buy it at Walmart and return it if you don't like it. The box does have the arrow keys exposed that you can try. I would certainly not expect anything from Razer to last very long just so everyone is aware in case they are not.

Please don't flame me. I think I was pretty honest about its quality and that it's feel is subjective.

« Last Edit: Wed, 20 September 2017, 03:19:05 by typo »

Offline Findecanor

Re: You will not beleive what keyboard I am giving praise
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 20 September 2017, 06:02:40 »
The silicone does not pop like rubber. ... Silicone is much more expensive than rubber for the record but depends if you like the feel.
Silicone is what all "rubber dome" keyboards have their rubber domes made of.
"Rubber" here is used as a generic word, not specifically about products from the rubber tree.
🍉

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 20 September 2017, 09:14:51 »
The silicone does not pop like rubber. ... Silicone is much more expensive than rubber for the record but depends if you like the feel.
Silicone is what all "rubber dome" keyboards have their rubber domes made of.
"Rubber" here is used as a generic word, not specifically about products from the rubber tree.

well, there's also silicone rubber... they've got combo materials..

Offline typo

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 20 September 2017, 15:20:53 »
It is different than like a Keytronic. At least thicker r something. I get what you are saying though. I knew this of course I just worded it wrong. I did not mean to insinuate that "rubber dome" keyboards have the membrane made from a product of the rubber tree. I was just saying to say it feels different but I think that is probably it is thick to the point of almost being like plastic. Again, I do not mean "plastic" in the true sense of the word. I mean a consistency of such. As I meant it is also more slippery hence being more like what we actually think of as silicone. I did not mean to say they are in fact rubber also in the true sense of the term. Perhaps some synthetic polymer or something. That, I do not knw either am simply making a comparison. Not to be taken in the literal sense. Not that I mince words, just using such as a tol of explanation.

Anyways, as I did in fact say this board I can say is junk as are all current Razer products. I think I can say that much on authority and is the consensus here. What I was trying to convey is I like the feel. Nothing more. Never said it was of quality or anything like that. It would have been nice if the Topre RGB felt like this since it is a vast departure from Topre as we know them to begin with. In more way's than one. It is most certainly a better board regardless but I would not say at the $260 level. More click, in it's current state would not put it their either. It least it would be even more of a novelty. Let's face it, both companies are approaching gamers with these respective products. I doubt any or many serious typists will choose the Topre RGB as their daily driver. Since it does not even feel lke the "cup rubber" we all know and love to begin with why not just completely bastardize it? I am making a joke okay. Seriously, I am saying I did not mean "rubber" literally even though it may have sounded as such. Sorry for any confusion nonetheless.

Hey, TP you finally put one on my side! I appreciate that! 

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 20 September 2017, 18:24:04 »
...Please don't flame me. I think I was pretty honest about its quality and that it's feel is subjective.

Typing is as personal as fingerprints. (Indeed, people can actually be identified by their unique typing patterns.) For every type of board—including the real high-end stuff—you'll find people who don't like them as well as those who do. So it's really about how a keeb feels under each person's hands.

When you get this, you realize there's no value in making judgments about how anyone feels about any board, and reading topics like this one just makes the whole experience more interesting, IMHO.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline typo

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 20 September 2017, 23:21:35 »
Thank you. Although some things are thought of as being good or bad (quality) by those that have some experience with this. However quality has nothing to do with ones enjoyment or preference. If I really loved a $50 board that failed every six months I would just replace it twice a year. I was quite up front that as with everything from Razer this is not a "quality" board. I really enjoyed typing on it. Many others might as well. Many may not. Typing feel is independent of the overall quality of the board. As I said I have a $260 topre RGB right here and you could do better with a filco. Unless you need the backlight I guess. On the other hand a Filco or Leopold are very nice boards for a better price. That is in regard to quality. If one were to enjoy the way the board felt then the $89 Razer or $260 Topre are absolutely worth it. Some in fact may enjoy the Topre more as it is a different feel than a "true" Realforce. If money is very important then I would reluctantly perhaps put quality over typing feel. Honestly I do not plan on using the Razer much at all, if at all but it had avery nice feel that is different than almost anything. If it suits you is solely up to you but be aware I am being honest that this thing will not last long. I do have to at least hand it to Razer that they actually created something unique. go figure.

Per post above it is all about what you like. Just because you think you got the best and bought a $500 Japanese Topre(JDM) does not mean you will like it if you do not know what you are doing and jump in that far.  ander said it best. at any level there will be likes and dislikes. He is also correct about typing style. It is actually used in criminal forensics. How I type is probably different than anyone else and likewise with all of them. It is the cadence and a lot of other factors, like pressure strike force. initial onset, release pressure and so many scientific things we never even discuss here. I am not at all ashamed to have a $89 board I bought for $69 and was in pieces when I did so. I have so many boards just like aall of you because we like to switch it up. It is like ice cream but there are way more than 31 flavors! The only thing I will say in closing is if you are young and your money is tight I would suggest a better quality board so you do not end up without any board. Even if there are very nice feeling cheap boards. I always thought what came with high price was high quality. enter the Topre RGB and you can throw that ideology out the window. so now anything goes. Get what you like. I am not sure I could recommend the Razer as an only board with no means to replace it however. It certainly has ainteresting feel I thought was very nice and I generally use custom MX switches that have 120g actuation. Yes, seriously that heavy. no fatigue, no injuries either. For instance on blues I will just constantly bottom out. I have control but I am a very large man and each hand probably weighs ten pounds(just a guess).

Anyways, bottom line get what suits you not what everyone or anyone says to get, most popular on Amazon Etc.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 20 September 2017, 23:54:56 »
I tried an Ornata and I quite liked the feel. Not amazing rubber domes but they were fairly smooth and not too mushy and a good weight. They sound excellent; much better sounding than MX Blues.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 21 September 2017, 16:49:15 »
I had the first version Ornata (rubber dome with clicker), it was okay but still feel pretty rubberdome ish.

Though I'm curious to try the updated version.  :)

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline typo

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 21 September 2017, 22:07:19 »
The problem is I do not know when they changed it and if stores have old stock. I guess you would have to go by the feel of it. It feels great and sounds amazing. The sad part is I highly doubt it will last long. I mean just going by Razer in general and this thing is not even nearly their top keyboard. I do wonder how hey make the legends on these backlit boards and if they will rub off. That would most likely be the first thing to go. Although Kaith switches are really not bad. The thing is so clicky it is like popping Edamame.

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 25 September 2017, 16:58:56 »
Is the travel distance on these less than Topre or about the same?

Offline typo

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 25 September 2017, 17:08:06 »
I think less than the Topre. Not a lot but a bit. It is not capacitive in case you were not sure.

Offline typo

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 06:37:54 »
I wanted to point out that his may not appeal to a lot of people here. I mean this crowd. Razer products have no on board memory. You must keep their software installed if you want to change color, use Macro's etc. If you move it to a different PC unless it has the software installed with the same settings it will behave differently. That may be a huge pita to some. Plus you must register the software for the paranoid. Of course it does not ask for a credit card or your ss number or anything that personal. Just use fake info but they have your IP unless you have a proxy I would like memory on it but not a deal breaker. Using it right now. Honestly for $89 it is different than a Topre but along the same lines. If not quite the same quality. Save for the Topre RGB. I would suggest spend $89 on this before you Spend $260 on the topre RGB which imo is a complete ripoff. It does not feel like regular Topre switches and is not the same overall build quality. Aimed at gamers, but for $260? I do have it and If you factor money I vastly prefer the Ornata. The only problem is going to be Razers quality. Wait a few months and I will report. The Topre even though made by Seasonic in China has already seen some failures as well.but I would generally count on the Ornaata to fail earlier. $89 Vs. $260. Interestingly this is most buyers first board over $20 so it is hard to tell anything from reviews. I do not think any long time Geekhacker would tend to take it seriously. It is really a contender though so long as you like it.